Forums59
Topics1,039,271
Posts13,962,000
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: Mike@972] #13218937 07/18/19 10:40 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by Mike@972
Originally Posted by BillyVanWard
Way to go. Those smallies are a blast. I'm a native Texan and have fished untold thousands of times here, but I like fishing almost all other states much better. The fishing is better and the people in charge are often much more sympathetic to things like boat ramps and courtesy docks. Compared to Florida or even Arkansas, Texas is a joke, fishing-wise. I would have laughed at such an assertion years ago, but after traveling all over North America in my quest to catch a fish in every state and Canadian province, it's become clear that TX is far from the top of the heap. The lack of boat ramps on rivers is one of my chief gripes - river fishing is downright awesome.

This can largely be explained because Texas does not have a state or local income tax. The same is true for Florida, but fishing and tourism is a big part of their economy, so they invest in water areas.

I was raised in Missouri where the State Parks, Zoo, Art Museum, Science Center, etc were all "free". Each of these venues were well staffed and had a lot of amenities. Each State Park had several boat ramps with docks, picnic shelters, defined hiking paths, clean restrooms and paved parking areas. Many State Parks had deeply discounted cabins for rent (about $75/night to cover maintenance and housekeeping).

It was "free" because we all paid 7% in state and local income tax! (6% to the State and 1% to our city of choice).

Personally, I prefer the Texas way... no income tax and pay as you go by way of State Park entrance fees and sacrifice on a few amenities along the way.

Many of the places I've fished in FL were very sparsely visited and DEEP in the sticks, yet they had much more and better ramps and docks than our flagship fisheries here. These places were not a factor in tourism - even locals didn't know about many of the places I've found. My old lady's jaw would hit the dirt as she wondered why such a remote site could be so nice while we get the shaft back home.

Interestingly, the best bass fishing I've found has been in ND and MN (check out NDyakangler on YouTube - the guy is a fish magnet). Both LM and smallies and occasional bonus pike. I was astonished. ME has also rung my bell real hard - the smallie fishing and lack of anglers who care about bass is amazing. Across the border in New Brunswick can be even better.

I've gotten skunked in TX many times, but I've never been skunked on "foreign" water. I take a 1-2 week trip every two weeks, so my sample size is quite large. Sometimes we'll throw a dart at a wall map and be rolling that way within a couple hours. Fortunately, my girlfriend likes bass fishing even more than I do, so I can devote significant resources to the cause without being, uh, hassled smile

TX is also not very friendly to boondock campers - RV campers who don't need (or want) a campground. I have a 21' globally-unique, utterly unstoppable 4x4 camper van - kind of a ghetto EarthRoamer - that is fully self-contained and able to provide a great living space without hookups for a good 4 days. We like to night fish, catch a few winks, then hit the sunrise but all too often we are awakened by a Maglite or baton smacking the door and a lawdog telling us we can't "camp" there even though nobody else is around and we're not remotely making a problem. It's a drag putting the boat back on the trailer in the middle of the night and having to head to Flying J or the like to catch a few winks. Fortunately, AK has zillions of great waterside boondock sites. Point is, I often hear windbags claiming TX is the greatest fishing state when it's actually pretty far down the list and the fishing doesn't seem nearly as good as it was many years ago.

And, I detest interfering in people's lives, but a few times I've seen people behaving so recklessly on the water that I had to call the authorities. Each time in TX there were no results. Each time in other states the lawdogs would show up very quickly and tend to the problem.

I certainly wouldn't mind paying more to The Man if the outdoor amenities could be elevated from lousy to merely deficient. Thanks for your insight, tight lines to ya, Mike.

"He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life,"
General John Kelly, United States Marine Corps (Ret.), describing Donald "Dolt45" Trump

Never be upset by the success of another. Never be pleased by the pain of another.

Ezekiel 23:20
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: banker-always fishing] #13218984 07/18/19 11:46 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Side Note: First fish is a Warmouth. cheers (Possibly Hybrid)

I don't mean to be picky... but I believe that is a Rock Bass (AKA Goggle Eye). Warmouths are simular but have horizontal stripes (usually blueish-green) leading from the mouth to the body. Additionally, they often have vertical stripes of blueish green scales on the body.

Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: Bassboy1992] #13219005 07/19/19 12:15 AM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Just curious... What river in Texas could you put a boat ramp in where there isn't one? Maybe Red below Texoma, but that is sketchy! Because of our drought/flood cycle and the small size of our rivers in general, it isn't feasible!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: Bassboy1992] #13219455 07/19/19 02:53 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Those kind of trips will never get old. I went to college in Northeastern OK and had a few rivers/streams like that to fish that were loaded with smallies. Spent a couple days a week fishing but looking back I wish I would have gone more!

Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: Bassboy1992] #13219466 07/19/19 03:04 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Just traveled through Missouri a couple weeks ago. Took a little canoe trip on the Niangua River. Absolutely beautiful classic Ozark smallmouth stream.

Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: BillyVanWard] #13219474 07/19/19 03:10 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Way to go. Those smallies are a blast. I'm a native Texan and have fished untold thousands of times here, but I like fishing almost all other states much better. The fishing is better and the people in charge are often much more sympathetic to things like boat ramps and courtesy docks. Compared to Florida or even Arkansas, Texas is a joke, fishing-wise. I would have laughed at such an assertion years ago, but after traveling all over North America in my quest to catch a fish in every state and Canadian province, it's become clear that TX is far from the top of the heap. The lack of boat ramps on rivers is one of my chief gripes - river fishing is downright awesome.

This can largely be explained because Texas does not have a state or local income tax. The same is true for Florida, but fishing and tourism is a big part of their economy, so they invest in water areas.

I was raised in Missouri where the State Parks, Zoo, Art Museum, Science Center, etc were all "free". Each of these venues were well staffed and had a lot of amenities. Each State Park had several boat ramps with docks, picnic shelters, defined hiking paths, clean restrooms and paved parking areas. Many State Parks had deeply discounted cabins for rent (about $75/night to cover maintenance and housekeeping).

It was "free" because we all paid 7% in state and local income tax! (6% to the State and 1% to our city of choice).

Personally, I prefer the Texas way... no income tax and pay as you go by way of State Park entrance fees and sacrifice on a few amenities along the way.

Many of the places I've fished in FL were very sparsely visited and DEEP in the sticks, yet they had much more and better ramps and docks than our flagship fisheries here. These places were not a factor in tourism - even locals didn't know about many of the places I've found. My old lady's jaw would hit the dirt as she wondered why such a remote site could be so nice while we get the shaft back home.

Interestingly, the best bass fishing I've found has been in ND and MN (check out NDyakangler on YouTube - the guy is a fish magnet). Both LM and smallies and occasional bonus pike. I was astonished. ME has also rung my bell real hard - the smallie fishing and lack of anglers who care about bass is amazing. Across the border in New Brunswick can be even better.

I've gotten skunked in TX many times, but I've never been skunked on "foreign" water. I take a 1-2 week trip every two weeks, so my sample size is quite large. Sometimes we'll throw a dart at a wall map and be rolling that way within a couple hours. Fortunately, my girlfriend likes bass fishing even more than I do, so I can devote significant resources to the cause without being, uh, hassled smile

TX is also not very friendly to boondock campers - RV campers who don't need (or want) a campground. I have a 21' globally-unique, utterly unstoppable 4x4 camper van - kind of a ghetto EarthRoamer - that is fully self-contained and able to provide a great living space without hookups for a good 4 days. We like to night fish, catch a few winks, then hit the sunrise but all too often we are awakened by a Maglite or baton smacking the door and a lawdog telling us we can't "camp" there even though nobody else is around and we're not remotely making a problem. It's a drag putting the boat back on the trailer in the middle of the night and having to head to Flying J or the like to catch a few winks. Fortunately, AK has zillions of great waterside boondock sites. Point is, I often hear windbags claiming TX is the greatest fishing state when it's actually pretty far down the list and the fishing doesn't seem nearly as good as it was many years ago.

And, I detest interfering in people's lives, but a few times I've seen people behaving so recklessly on the water that I had to call the authorities. Each time in TX there were no results. Each time in other states the lawdogs would show up very quickly and tend to the problem.

I certainly wouldn't mind paying more to The Man if the outdoor amenities could be elevated from lousy to merely deficient. Thanks for your insight, tight lines to ya, Mike.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQql-ZbZmg

Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: BillyVanWard] #13219544 07/19/19 04:09 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M

I understand what you are saying and I am not saying that TX cannot improve the TPWD. All I'm saying is that we are one of the few states without an income tax and this results in fewer State Parks and "amenity light" public use areas. Having 7% knocked off the top of your paycheck (in addition to Fed) does not feel good. This is part of the reason Texas is growing.

Florida is also one of the states without an income tax. However, their property tax is substantially higher. They even charge a 5.6% sales tax on all commercial lease payments (in addition to the already high property tax). Florida is the only state to tax lease payments and it generates billions of dollars each year.

I simply appreciate that Texas is truly a low tax state and I recognize that this comes with a few sacrifices.

I'm all for improvements to our public lands. Until then, I appreciate your points and I'll stop hijacking this thread cheers

Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: Bassboy1992] #13219588 07/19/19 04:55 PM
B
BROWNING STRONG Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Love it or leave it ! Texas is great anyway you look at it !

Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: Bassboy1992] #13219625 07/19/19 05:29 PM
O
over the hill @PK Offline
Angler
Angler
O
we used to have smallies in PK but the alge killed them .Now TP&W refuses to restock them. ashame as they were great to fish for

Butch Farmer
Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: Mike@972] #13219632 07/19/19 05:42 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Side Note: First fish is a Warmouth. cheers (Possibly Hybrid)

I don't mean to be picky... but I believe that is a Rock Bass (AKA Goggle Eye). Warmouths are simular but have horizontal stripes (usually blueish-green) leading from the mouth to the body. Additionally, they often have vertical stripes of blueish green scales on the body.

I believe you are right! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: Bassboy1992] #13219802 07/19/19 08:44 PM
bassfishinglawyer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Catch a 12# silver salmon on a stream/river in AK and you'll see why I call them a "smallmouth on steroids"! But river smallies are a blast.

Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: Bassboy1992] #13219806 07/19/19 08:49 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Bassboy1992
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Caught some smallmouth on the Buffalo River in Arkansas back in May. None that big, was extremely fun. Good video, and nice fish.

Man, I sure do love the Buffalo. Certain parts are over-run with tubers and trash, now. But there are still those difficult to get to, secret spots. Nothing wrong with little fish, as long as you're having fun!

- Chase

Yes, the day trippers are obnoxious, but I still caught a few during the stretch where it was really crowded. We did an overnight canoe trip, and once we got past the main take out, it was quiet and we didnt see many people. Id like to do another overnight on the lower buffalo. Much less crowded and better fishing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: BROWNING STRONG] #13219983 07/20/19 12:58 AM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by W.BROWNING
Nice fish , but hook into a 7 lb large-mouth on Fork with a senko and check your pulse ! They pull your boat around .

I'd take a 4# smallie over an 8# LM any day.

5 # :

[Linked Image]

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: BillyVanWard] #13220028 07/20/19 01:53 AM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R

ME has also rung my bell real hard - the smallie fishing and lack of anglers who care about bass is amazing. Across the border in New Brunswick can be even better.

tight lines to ya, Mike.

I've lived in Maine and wife is from NB, Canada. Fished both, especially Maine a lot. Been skunked although not often. Also had a few 100 fish days. Fished the Penobscot River dozens of times. Fished at least 40 different lakes in Maine. My NB fishing was relegated to the St. John River system never the better lakes in the Harvey region. I never had good numbers days in NB. Did catch a few good fish though. I don't think NB is as good as Me.. I put a few 20# stringers together in Me. in T's. (Did some boatless bank trash fishing in Nova Scotia even).

I think these places are good because of extremely light fishing pressure, extremely.

So, Sam Rayburn is my home lake ... gets pounded daily and 100x worse on weekends. I grew up on it. Rarely has the easy fishing I had up north. The fish are hook and lure shy IMO. Not so in Me..

Having said that Rayburn and Toledo before that were ranked the #1 lakes in the nation by BM Magazine. Coulda been some payoff but I don't know.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Texas Largemouth are nice and all but... [Re: BROWNING STRONG] #13220403 07/20/19 06:34 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by W.BROWNING
Love it or leave it ! Texas is great anyway you look at it !

Uh, no, it's not. In many ways, it massively blows.

I was wondering if someone would play the always-reprehensible and even-sillier "love it or leave it" card. No place is great "anyway you look at it." I've been all over the continent and the globe and that place does not exist.

It's generally best to beware those who misuse starkly absolute terms like "any" etc. in dishonestly pushing their argument Our beautiful language has a word at the ready for most any situation. Strive to be earnest and accurate in your communications. Realistic wouldn't hurt, either.

I think I'll slap together a little play real quick-like. It packs a cast of two:
1) Billy (that's me)
2) Dad (my 88 year old Air Force veteran father, blind from macular degeneration, numb in the hands and feet from tragically unnecessary Big Pharma poison, heavily dependent on me as the better half of his caretaking team, and an extremely fine gentleman.

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
A one act mini-play.

BILLY: Dad, I'm leaving Texas.
DAD: Good. More fishing? Where ya going this time?
BILLY: Not sure yet, but it's gonna be permanent.
DAD: Oh no! Why!
BILLY: Some clod named W.BROWNING on TFF done up an' told me to.
DAD (nearly frantic): What on Earth is TFF???
BILLY: An internet site called Texas Fishing forum.
DAD (sobbing): Why did said clod tell you to leave?
BILLY: Well, I dared to state that Texas is not the best place in the world.
DAD: Of course it isn't. Far from it, actually.
BILLY: Well, duh! But, some people are quite biased and thin-skinned about such things. Anyhow, I'll miss ya, Dad. Have someone call me when ya croak, OK?
DAD: I think you should stay. What am I gonna do without ya? Many people here will be much worse off without ya.
BILLY: I'll probably send 'em all to Browning's house and he can enhance their lives. As for you, I guess you can be the first person in the history of our family to be subjected to the monotonous indignity of a nursing home.
DAD: How about ya just disregard that tw....uh, character and stay a while? When I die, surely pretty soon, you'll be even better off than you are now and will be able to do whatever you want for the next 40 years or so.
BILLY: I already do whatever I want, but what of Mr. Browning's eminently rational, practical, and reasonable demand?
DAD: (Bleep) him and the horse he rode in on, twice.
BILLY: Twice?
DAD: Oh yeah....twice, and with gusto.
BILLY: Why didn't I think of that? It's a deal. You're a pretty sharp ol' dude. Blow yer nose and let's seal the deal over home-fried chicken and cold beer.
DAD: Yowza! Welcome home, son!

"He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life,"
General John Kelly, United States Marine Corps (Ret.), describing Donald "Dolt45" Trump

Never be upset by the success of another. Never be pleased by the pain of another.

Ezekiel 23:20
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide