Page 1 of 2 1 2
Vault Hubs #13215735 07/15/19 09:47 PM
S
StratVoodoo Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I have Vault hubs and have a very small (couple of drops) leak on the black cap of the outer assembly after the grease heats up travelling. The hubs were serviced less than two years ago at McGill's, but hate to drag the boat all the way out there if it's something I can service. Has anyone done the o-ring replacement on these and if so, how difficult is it? Not wanting a small problem to turn into a side of the highway repair. Can't find anything on YouTube or the web.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Vault Hubs [Re: StratVoodoo] #13215878 07/16/19 12:16 AM
L
leethefishking Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
I believe you can just replace the entire front cap and refil. They hammer on just like a bearing buddy. The only difference I have seen is that you use RTV around all seals.

Re: Vault Hubs [Re: StratVoodoo] #13216133 07/16/19 12:18 PM
MikeW07 Offline
Angler
Angler
Replacing the o-ring is pretty simple - just walk the hub off and put new o-ring on - do it with cold hubs - if they are hot that grease will run out like water - assuming you don't loose any grease from inside the hub fill the hub as full as you can with the grease and tap it back on - the trick on these is you can't use a block of wood like you can on bearing buddies you might crack that plastic insert since as you tap it on it begins to come out. You can go to lowes or home depot in the plumbing department and get a coupler that has a small ridge in the middle but just fits over the vault hub but doesn't actually touch the plastic middle. Hope that makes sense.

Re: Vault Hubs [Re: StratVoodoo] #13216149 07/16/19 12:34 PM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Last edited by adam_p; 07/16/19 12:35 PM.
Re: Vault Hubs [Re: leethefishking] #13216263 07/16/19 02:07 PM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by leethefishking
I believe you can just replace the entire front cap and refil. They hammer on just like a bearing buddy. The only difference I have seen is that you use RTV around all seals.

This... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Vault Hubs [Re: StratVoodoo] #13216265 07/16/19 02:09 PM
S
StratVoodoo Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks for the info everyone. Anything needed to fill the new bearing protectors? What pressurizes them?

Re: Vault Hubs [Re: StratVoodoo] #13216338 07/16/19 02:56 PM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by StratVoodoo
Thanks for the info everyone. Anything needed to fill the new bearing protectors? What pressurizes them?

The cap is spring loaded. When you fill it to the correct level shown in the PDF the spring is compressed and pressurizes the system.

Re: Vault Hubs [Re: StratVoodoo] #13216479 07/16/19 04:58 PM
Champion1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Cool info guys

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Re: Vault Hubs [Re: StratVoodoo] #13216482 07/16/19 04:59 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
bearing failures are always one of my big concerns . I have a $20.00 I/R heat gun that I take with me every trip , it is accurate to with .1 degree F and is a cheap way to check your hubs and tires for any increase in temperature . Both side of my trailer run within 2 to 3 degrees F . Any temp increase is a sign of bearing issues .

Re: Vault Hubs [Re: StratVoodoo] #13218766 07/18/19 07:45 PM
B
Boone921 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Call Marine Master trailers. They have good deals on kits for vault.
They are real helpful. Told me to keep a tube of the red tacky grease and a bearing buddy in case of emergency. (That hybrid oil will turn to liquid in a hot car. )

Last edited by Boone921; 07/18/19 07:47 PM.
Re: Vault Hubs [Re: StratVoodoo] #13219675 07/19/19 06:29 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I dont unerstand what is supposed to be better about the vault hubs, I never had any issues with greased bearings. One of my vault hubs needs a new seal already its seeping a little. The trailer is a 17 and for sure high miles for a boat trailer but Id think grease would have no issues for 10-15 years.

Re: Vault Hubs [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13219736 07/19/19 07:34 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
I dont unerstand what is supposed to be better about the vault hubs, I never had any issues with greased bearings. One of my vault hubs needs a new seal already its seeping a little. The trailer is a 17 and for sure high miles for a boat trailer but Id think grease would have no issues for 10-15 years.

I have greased hubs using a bearing buddies , The trailer shop advised me the following --- as your towing , the hubs create significant heat , the grease expands and some will almost always leak out , when the grease leaks out , it creates a tiny air void , then boaters submerge the trailer into the lake and a small amount of cold water fills the air gap . Eventually the amount of water increases and ultimately sits at the bottom of the hub . When the trailer isn't being used , that water rusts area's of the bearings and ultimately you end up with bearing failure .
I was told to bring a grease gun with me every trip , before putting the boat into the water , take the grease gun and put a " tiny" amount of grease into the hubs and push out any possible air gap , then put your boat in the water . You have to be extra careful to not overfill the hubs and you could possibly push out the rear seal .
10-15 years ?? I would never go that long , two years or maybe three . I take the I/R gun with me to detect any increase in hub heat --- make sure I don't have premature failure.

Re: Vault Hubs [Re: 1oldbassguy] #13219741 07/19/19 07:38 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy

I have greased hubs using a bearing buddies , The trailer shop advised me the following --- as your towing , the hubs create significant heat , the grease expands and some will almost always leak out , when the grease leaks out , it creates a tiny air void , then boaters submerge the trailer into the lake and a small amount of cold water fills the air gap . Eventually the amount of water increases and ultimately sits at the bottom of the hub . When the trailer isn't being used , that water rusts area's of the bearings and ultimately you end up with bearing failure .
I was told to bring a grease gun with me every trip , before putting the boat into the water , take the grease gun and put a " tiny" amount of grease into the hubs and push out any possible air gap , then put your boat in the water . You have to be extra careful to not overfill the hubs and you could possibly push out the rear seal .
10-15 years ?? I would never go that long , two years or maybe three . I take the I/R gun with me to detect any increase in hub heat --- make sure I don't have premature failure.

wow thats crazy... my 84 glastron trailer single axle under a 18 footer had the original bearings in it when I sold it in 201. It had bearing buddies and I topped them off once a year at best. My dad bought that new and I had it since 1995 and never had a hub apart.

As for some grease seeping out. I have NEVER seen that happen in my life, and it makes zero sense. IF any seeped out it would be on your wheel.

Last edited by Jeff From Iowa; 07/19/19 07:44 PM.
Re: Vault Hubs [Re: 1oldbassguy] #13219777 07/19/19 08:18 PM
Fishinfellow Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy

Sounds pretty accurate to me. I've always been told that the reason bearings give out on boat trailer so much quicker (as opposed to non-marine trailers) is because of the water. It very well may be from rust but I just figured that even without the rust, the water with the grease causes higher heat and eventually a higher failure rate. But I've had Vault hubs and traditional hubs fail on me. There is no bullet-proof option out there.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: Vault Hubs [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13220092 07/20/19 03:40 AM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Seeping in the back or the front? If it is the back, that is normal. That is just a byproduct of the pressurized system. Some grease comes out of the back seal which keeps water out. If your cap is protruding you are fine. If the cap is flush it needs attention. I just replaced a cap on mine this evening, it was seeping out around the black cap and the black cap was flush with the silver cap meaning there wasn't enough grease in it anymore and the system wasn't pressurized.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide