Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: La. side of TB [Re: RayBob] #13199866 06/29/19 09:43 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Nice catch! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: La. side of TB [Re: RayBob] #13199993 06/30/19 01:30 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Yes a big majority of fish on Toledo get ate. Ive seen personally Bass that are 6-9 lbs go under the knife. Im all good on eating fish largemouth I dont care for the spotted bass are actually good. Do I personally keep bass no. I dont really like it either but hey thats not my place to tell another man.

Last edited by lamoon78; 06/30/19 01:31 AM.
Re: La. side of TB [Re: andy52887] #13200054 06/30/19 03:17 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by andy52887
There is no way 75% of fish are being kept on Toledo. I know plenty of people that havent kept a bass in years and back 10 years ago kept everything they caught. I would be willing to bet that guys that do keep bass in the spring dont keep many either because they only fish in the spring when they are shallow and are easy to catch. And the reason you dont see the 4-5 lbers I would think because there is probably 75% more people with boats fishing 7 days a week pounding bed fish vs people taking them home.

You don't see them cause they don't exist anymore. Has nothing to do with pressure. If it was pressure than you wouldn't see any fish on beds on fork. Sight fishing in my opinion is the best way to see the health of a lake. Most fish have to go to the bank and spawn eventually.

Tpw does a pretty good job with their surveys. I'm pretty sure they didn't just guess at the high number retained on Toledo. Go to blue lake area in the spring and just watch people. Nothing gets thrown back

Re: La. side of TB [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13200064 06/30/19 03:28 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

You don't see them cause they don't exist anymore. Has nothing to do with pressure. If it was pressure than you wouldn't see any fish on beds on fork. Sight fishing in my opinion is the best way to see the health of a lake. Most fish have to go to the bank and spawn eventually.

Tpw does a pretty good job with their surveys. I'm pretty sure they didn't just guess at the high number retained on Toledo. Go to blue lake area in the spring and just watch people. Nothing gets thrown back

Are they breaking any laws?

If not they should be able to legally fish and keep what they catch within the law without constantly being trolled with Rest in Grease.

Neither tournament fishermen nor meat fishermen have priority over the other.

I had never seen an 8 lb bass filleted before until I started fishing Ivie. Have seen a ton of big fish cleaned on that lake. Dont remember ever seeing the first Louisiana Plate there.

Same thing at Amistad.

Re: La. side of TB [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13201130 07/01/19 02:08 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by 361V
I dont care what they do with them. Double benefit. They got to enjoy catching them and get to enjoy eating them. All legal and according to the experts that set the limits its sustainable. Arguably even beneficial to the fishery. Me? Im out! Look closely. Some of those fish definitely do not look very fresh!

Definitely not beneficial to fishery. A top biologist at tpw told me a couple years ago when Rayburn and Toledo are in good shape he'd actually recommend not keeping anything. The fisheries can support every bass it can produce.

I don't have a problem with anyone keeping some fish, but don't complain why fishing is starting to suck when you're removing huge age classes of females. That picture represents over 50% of people on Toledo. In spring time you can troll past docks and there's filleted bass everywhere on the bottom. I've never seen a keeper bass released on Toledo and never seen one kept on Rayburn.

You haven't been looking very hard on Rayburn! Had a boat pull up next to me last weekend on Rayburn on the only deep spot that I had producing. Within 30 minutes they had 3 boats tied together (who knew a motorguide XI5 could hold 3 boats on a spot?) , 3-5 people per boat, keeping every fish they could get a hook in. Needless to say that deep spot was done. Lots of this mentality on Rayburn to. As long as they abide by the rules there really isn't anything you can do I guess.

Re: La. side of TB [Re: RayBob] #13201316 07/01/19 05:01 PM
H
H B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Itll be alright. If its legal then complain about the legal limit on bass. Bass are kept in Texas too, people in Louisiana are just more open about it. Once at a tournament on Rayburn I saw several dead bass, two over 6 pounds, that were just tossed back into the lake dead or upside down and no one was trying to fizz them or take them out of the lake. And no one was taking pictures to post that online and complain. I can guarantee you these Louisiana boys ate what they kept.

Re: La. side of TB [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #13201320 07/01/19 05:07 PM
K
kellisag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I dont care what they do with them. Double benefit. They got to enjoy catching them and get to enjoy eating them. All legal and according to the experts that set the limits its sustainable. Arguably even beneficial to the fishery. Me? Im out! Look closely. Some of those fish definitely do not look very fresh!

Definitely not beneficial to fishery. A top biologist at tpw told me a couple years ago when Rayburn and Toledo are in good shape he'd actually recommend not keeping anything. The fisheries can support every bass it can produce.

I don't have a problem with anyone keeping some fish, but don't complain why fishing is starting to suck when you're removing huge age classes of females. That picture represents over 50% of people on Toledo. In spring time you can troll past docks and there's filleted bass everywhere on the bottom. I've never seen a keeper bass released on Toledo and never seen one kept on Rayburn.

You haven't been looking very hard on Rayburn! Had a boat pull up next to me last weekend on Rayburn on the only deep spot that I had producing. Within 30 minutes they had 3 boats tied together (who knew a motorguide XI5 could hold 3 boats on a spot?) , 3-5 people per boat, keeping every fish they could get a hook in. Needless to say that deep spot was done. Lots of this mentality on Rayburn to. As long as they abide by the rules there really isn't anything you can do I guess.

Out of curiosity, did the boats have LA tags?

Re: La. side of TB [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13202078 07/02/19 12:30 PM
J
JarrodMc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J

Ive been fishing TBend for 35 years. You are correct about harvest rates between the two lakes. Maybe a little overstatement about keeper fish being released but you make a legitimate point. The sound of electric filet knives is very common in the Spring. My frustration is that the lake cannot be policed.There are a large number of fisherman that keep too many fish and dont even bother to measure them. Too many private docks and boat ramps for a couple of Game Wardens to keep people honest.

Real easy to blame the lack of grass for tougher conditions but the meat harvest is the real killer.

Last edited by JarrodMc; 07/02/19 12:32 PM.
Re: La. side of TB [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13202395 07/02/19 04:46 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
[ I've never seen a keeper bass released on Toledo and never seen one kept on Rayburn.

While I generally agree with your assessment, Jarrett I've personally kept many limits of spots on Rayburn and know a lot of other folks who do it too. They're tasty, but keeping them isn't going to hurt a thing because no one's winning a Rayburn tournament with spots in their bag.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: La. side of TB [Re: fouzman] #13203955 07/03/19 09:25 PM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by fouzman
[ I've never seen a keeper bass released on Toledo and never seen one kept on Rayburn.

While I generally agree with your assessment, Jarrett I've personally kept many limits of spots on Rayburn and know a lot of other folks who do it too. They're tasty, but keeping them isn't going to hurt a thing because no one's winning a Rayburn tournament with spots in their bag.

Spots are one thing

Re: La. side of TB [Re: RayBob] #13203958 07/03/19 09:27 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Spotted bass in this conversation really don't matter haha. They don't keep enough of them. Nobody even targets them on Toledo

Re: La. side of TB [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13204379 07/04/19 03:51 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Spotted bass in this conversation really don't matter haha. They don't keep enough of them. Nobody even targets them on Toledo

Most of the guys I know will keep spots notice I said most a couple I have watched chunk some big fish in the well and straight on the table when we got back to the camp.

Re: La. side of TB [Re: RayBob] #13204772 07/04/19 05:10 PM
BrockstaRama Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
People that took that pic are trolls for sure

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Re: La. side of TB [Re: RayBob] #13208901 07/09/19 01:27 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
[Linked Image]
Guess which kid is from LA.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: La. side of TB [Re: Chris B] #13209582 07/09/19 11:19 PM
1bas Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
If you keep them covered in ice you can wait several days and not taste any difference. Back in the 70s I worked at a popular marina on T.Bend, and when it was slow the guides would hold off me cleaning 3-6 of each of their best fish. Sometimes 3-5 days straight, then they would put them all together, and take a picture for the local paper, as well as the Beaumont Enterprise and the Houston Post. As soon as this came out in the papers, the phones would ring constantly, from people making reservations and booking guide trips. They weren't making up lies, but the photos of different guides taking photos with some of the same fish was definantly , misleading.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide