Forums59
Topics1,039,297
Posts13,962,438
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Debra Hengst] #13190413 06/19/19 07:19 PM
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
You guys are making a whole lot more of this than there really is.The sky is not falling!

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Walls] #13190438 06/19/19 07:39 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by 5X3Phoenix
Originally Posted by TX Rig
Originally Posted by BigDozer66
I agree with the kill switch law for vessels with a low profile or capable of high speeds, bass boats, jet skis, etc. I wear my life jacket and kill switch 98% of the time while in my bass boat. The other side of this is my old pontoon boat. The pontoon has a max speed of 16 to 20 MPH depending on load, wind and water conditions. It has rails 42" high around the helm. I never were my life jack or my kill switch. Guess I need to start practicing kill switch safety on the pontoon.

This will also be a big problem at boat ramps while loading and unloading your boat. Now you have to remember to put a kill switch lanyard on. I can see Officer Kelly at Lake Fork sitting on the public boat ramp handing out a hundred tickets a day.

The vessel has to be above "Headway Speed" according to the law. welcome

That is interesting, according to the definition I found on the internet "headway speed" means the minimum speed necessary to maintain steerage and control of the watercraft while the watercraft is moving. I guess this would include loading a boat on the trailer and my pontoon boat.

WATERCRAFT SPEED REGULATIONS

No person may operate a watercraft at a speed greater than headway speed while within the water safety zone or within a marina or an approved anchorage in coastal or inland waters except while actively fishing. For the purposes of this section, "headway speed" means the minimum speed necessary to maintain steerage and control of the watercraft while the watercraft is moving.

The operator of any watercraft must operate at a reasonable and prudent speed for existing conditions and regulate the speed of a watercraft so as to avoid danger, injury or unnecessary inconvenience in any manner to other watercraft and their occupants, whether anchored or under way. The operator must consider the effect of the wash or wave created by their watercraft to waterfront piers, floats or other property or shorelines.

Sooooooo, "headway speed" is the speed you use when loading and unloading your rig. Law says "greater than headway speed" is when a violation would occur.

flehan

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Debra Hengst] #13190456 06/19/19 08:09 PM
OzzieFish Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I believe they have them on treadmills so it make sense for a boat!!

Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Debra Hengst] #13190571 06/19/19 10:14 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Since some boats didn't have a kill switch then maybe they need to pass another law requiring a top speed of something like 20 MPH so you'd be safer if you fell out and less likely to strike another boat or person. If you guys can't look at California or New York and see what types of laws they have passed and don't see how easily that can happen here then I don't know what to tell you. Just because something is stupid doesn't mean that you have to pass a law about it. With all of the masses moving from those areas into Texas the possibility of really becoming a nanny state is about as real as it has ever been in my lifetime.

Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Debra Hengst] #13190600 06/19/19 10:56 PM
O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O
As for the kill switches on boats being worn, it is something I agree with. If you don't want to wear a helmet on a motorcycle that is your business. On a boat without a hotfoot the boat keeps going and could hit me or someone else and that makes it affect me and you.

Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Bobby Milam] #13190635 06/19/19 11:21 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
Since some boats didn't have a kill switch then maybe they need to pass another law requiring a top speed of something like 20 MPH so you'd be safer if you fell out and less likely to strike another boat or person. If you guys can't look at California or New York and see what types of laws they have passed and don't see how easily that can happen here then I don't know what to tell you. Just because something is stupid doesn't mean that you have to pass a law about it. With all of the masses moving from those areas into Texas the possibility of really becoming a nanny state is about as real as it has ever been in my lifetime.

Yeh, but cant you smoke pot there? Lol.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Debra Hengst] #13190640 06/19/19 11:23 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
If I fell out of my Skeeter, while on pad with or without a kill switch, itd come off pad so fast, itd swamp and sink! Either way, everyone is safe but me.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Oldrabbit] #13190775 06/20/19 12:56 AM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
As for the kill switches on boats being worn, it is something I agree with. If you don't want to wear a helmet on a motorcycle that is your business. On a boat without a hotfoot the boat keeps going and could hit me or someone else and that makes it affect me and you.

Really? How many times have you seen a runaway boat hit and injure another boater?

This reminds me of the old SNL skit where Dana Carvey was playing Tom Brokaw and taping obituaries for Gerald Ford describing every possible cause of death just in case Ford died while he was on vacation.

"Former President Gerald Ford was eaten by wolves."

"Eaten by wolves? Come on, that's ridiculous."

"Hey, it could happen."

Do we need a law...and a fine...for every possibility, no matter how remote?

Last edited by Razorback; 06/20/19 01:06 AM.
Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Debra Hengst] #13190780 06/20/19 01:02 AM
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
In 2016, the Coast Guard counted 4,463 accidents that involved 701 deaths, 2,903
injuries and approximately $49 million dollars of damage to property as a result of
recreational boating accidents.

The fatality rate was 5.9 deaths per 100,000 registered recreational vessels.
This rate represents a 11.3% increase from last years fatality rate of 5.3
deaths per 100,000 registered recreational vessels.
Compared to 2015, the number of accidents increased 7.3%, the number of
deaths increased 12%, and the number of injuries increased 11.1%.
Where cause of death was known, 80% of fatal boating accident victims drowned. Of those drowning victims with reported life jacket usage, 83% were not wearing a life jacket.
Eight out of every ten boaters who drowned were using vessels less than 21 feet in length.
Alcohol use is the leading known contributing factor in fatal boating accidents; where the primary cause was known, it was listed
as the leading factor in 15% of deaths.
Where instruction was known, 77% of deaths occurred on boats where the operator did not receive boating safety instruction. Only 13% percent of deaths occurred on vessels where the operator had received a nationally-approved boating safety education certificate.
There were 171 accidents in which at least one person was struck by a propeller. Collectively, these accidents resulted in 24 deaths and 175 injuries.
Operator inattention, operator inexperience, improper lookout, excessive speed, and machinery failure rank as the top five primary contributing factors in accidents.
Where data was known, the most common vessel types involved in reported accidents were open motorboats (47%), personal watercraft (18%), and cabin motorboats (15%).
Where data was known, the vessel types with the highest percentage of deaths were open motorboats (47%), kayaks (13%), and canoes (9%).
The 11,861,811 recreational vessels registered by the states in 2016 represent a 0.04% decrease from last year when 11,867,049 recreational vessels were registered.

Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Oldrabbit] #13190898 06/20/19 03:12 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B

that may make you feel all good but that is a lot like an argument in favor of gun control. Let's make them illegal and then they can't hurt me. Drunk driving is against the law but that doesn't seem to prevent people from driving drunk and killing others. I'd like to see stats on how many people are ejected from boats while driving and how many have actually been injured or died as a result, to include 3rd parties. My guess would be that it is a very small number.

Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Fishinfellow] #13191197 06/20/19 02:51 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
Originally Posted by fouzman
Life jackets and kill switches save lives. Why would anyone not employ them?

100% agreed but it should still be a choice not a law same as a helmet or seat belt or talking on the phone! I heard on the radio something like 1200 new laws on the books after the last session and we are allegedly a conservative State. That is just plain crazy! Freedom!!!!!

I've never understood this mentality.
"I 100% agree with the law but want to maintain the right to act with wreck-less abandon without consequence if I so choose" All in the name of conservativism?

hmmm

And I have never understood the mentality of "go ahead, take my freedom or better yet I will give it to you willingly and ask you to take more of it" all in the name of pick your tragic cause. It is not the wearing of the kill switch or jacket, if you will look back you will see that I already do that with or without the law because it is smart and I want to. What is silly is being compelled to do it by law and you being happy about it!

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Walls] #13191228 06/20/19 03:31 PM
TX Rig Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by 5X3Phoenix
Originally Posted by BigDozer66
I agree with the kill switch law for vessels with a low profile or capable of high speeds, bass boats, jet skis, etc. I wear my life jacket and kill switch 98% of the time while in my bass boat. The other side of this is my old pontoon boat. The pontoon has a max speed of 16 to 20 MPH depending on load, wind and water conditions. It has rails 42" high around the helm. I never were my life jack or my kill switch. Guess I need to start practicing kill switch safety on the pontoon.

This will also be a big problem at boat ramps while loading and unloading your boat. Now you have to remember to put a kill switch lanyard on. I can see Officer Kelly at Lake Fork sitting on the public boat ramp handing out a hundred tickets a day.

The vessel has to be above "Headway Speed" according to the law. welcome

That is interesting, according to the definition I found on the internet "headway speed" means the minimum speed necessary to maintain steerage and control of the watercraft while the watercraft is moving. I guess this would include loading a boat on the trailer and my pontoon boat.

WATERCRAFT SPEED REGULATIONS

No person may operate a watercraft at a speed greater than headway speed while within the water safety zone or within a marina or an approved anchorage in coastal or inland waters except while actively fishing. For the purposes of this section, "headway speed" means the minimum speed necessary to maintain steerage and control of the watercraft while the watercraft is moving.

The operator of any watercraft must operate at a reasonable and prudent speed for existing conditions and regulate the speed of a watercraft so as to avoid danger, injury or unnecessary inconvenience in any manner to other watercraft and their occupants, whether anchored or under way. The operator must consider the effect of the wash or wave created by their watercraft to waterfront piers, floats or other property or shorelines.

Sooooooo, "headway speed" is the speed you use when loading and unloading your rig. Law says "greater than headway speed" is when a violation would occur.

Good point! Guess i missed that little word.

Tx Rig-Stats
Bassmasters Lunker Club 10.5# 3/08
Mad Dog 1st HS/BB 9.25# 9/08
DPT 2nd HS 15.5# 3/10
JCO 1st HS/BB 8.25# 6/10
LFBB BB 8.25# 6/10
DPT 4th HS 22.9# 3/2011
DPT 3rd HS 22.27# 4/14
DPT 4th HS 11.43# 4/16
VFE 3rd HS 4.80# 8/16
DPT 1st HS 15.17# 4/17
DPT 3rd HS 13.63# 4/18
VFE 2nd HS 8.0# 4/18
VFE 3rd HS 8.77# 5/18
DPS 1st BB/HS 5/19
Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Debra Hengst] #13191474 06/20/19 07:03 PM
S
skeeterbugzx300 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
when I'm running I always have my life vest on with kill switch attached. the only bad thing is, if a game warden see u crank up & ideal a couple hundred feet without it attached is he going to write u a ticket.

Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Bobby Milam] #13191483 06/20/19 07:10 PM
O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O

that may make you feel all good but that is a lot like an argument in favor of gun control. Let's make them illegal and then they can't hurt me. Drunk driving is against the law but that doesn't seem to prevent people from driving drunk and killing others. I'd like to see stats on how many people are ejected from boats while driving and how many have actually been injured or died as a result, to include 3rd parties. My guess would be that it is a very small number.

Trying to compare it to gun control is not even close. Most every boat has a kill switch in it already just use it. Not trying to take your boat away or gun. No need to wear or even have a life jacket in the boat either as it won't hurt me and I don't do body recovery anymore. By the way, we never recovered a drowning victim wearing a life jacket. Just my 2cents. PS: I would like to see the stats on this also.

Re: ** Boating Law effective Sept 1, 2019 ** [Re: Oldrabbit] #13191487 06/20/19 07:16 PM
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B

Trying to compare it to gun control is not even close. Most every boat has a kill switch in it already just use it. Not trying to take your boat away or gun. No need to wear or even have a life jacket in the boat either as it won't hurt me and I don't do body recovery anymore. By the way, we never recovered a drowning victim wearing a life jacket. Just my 2cents. PS: I would like to see the stats on this also.

Read the previous posts, the stats for 2016 are posted.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide