Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues #13149496 05/09/19 07:47 PM
BPKlein Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Hello,

I hope someone reading this has experienced the same issues, and has found a solution.

The boat has 2 Lowrance HDS Gen 2 touch, NMEA 2000, MG Xi5 (new), and a Gateway kit.

The problem is when the MG is connected to the NMEA, the MG looses its GPS signal, and the autopilot screen says "no autopilot computer". If I disconnect the MG from the NMEA, it then re-establishes its GPS signal. Only with it disconnected does any of its GPS functions work.

The HDS device list shows the MG on the network. But the GPS selection list does not show the MG.

It all has been powered down and back up several times. Several hours have been spent on the phone with MG and Lowrance. Neither can get it to function.

ThankYou,
Bryan

Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: BPKlein] #13149861 05/10/19 01:17 AM
F
fluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Have not had the problem, but it seems to be in the NMEA connector. Have you changed the nmea connector? Look at connector going into unit and connection at the unit for corrosion or bent wire We do installs and find the connection on the nmea gets broken internal and you can not see the break, we test with meter, but just as easy to swap out another connector. Only a guess. We assume you have updated the MG and the Gen 2 with the latest updates. The Xi5 does have an update depending upon the age of your unit. You need the MG serial number and then contact Motorguide at 920 929 5040 to see if you have the current software for the Xi5. It is free if needed and they will send to you.

Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: BPKlein] #13150142 05/10/19 01:15 PM
BPKlein Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Fluker,

Thankyou for the reply. I ruled out the NMEA network pretty early on in the diagnosis. From the graphs, I could "see" the trolling motor on the network, but couldn't get the GPS to align. Plus, all of the other NMEA stuff was working normal.

Hours were spent on the phone with both MG and Lowrance. Both kept blaming the other. Ultimately all devices had the latest greatest software. The best "excuse" came from a MG tech support guy. He suggested that the cables from the batteries to the trolling motor weren't big enough. I told him that the cables were 6 gauge, and should more than capable of doing the job. Especially considering the MG factory is using 10 gauge on their own trolling motors. He told me that I needed a minimum of 2 ought (2/0) wire. I had a good chuckle.

Bryan

Last edited by BPKlein; 05/10/19 01:16 PM.
Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: BPKlein] #13150156 05/10/19 01:28 PM
BPKlein Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Im putting this here in case anyone else might need the information.

I found the problem....

Even though MG nor Lowrance ever mentioned anything about powering things up in a certain order, It appears, at least on my boat, that it makes a difference.

For the 6 years I have owned this boat, I have brought it to life in the same order everytime.....

1) Before the boat is put in the water, the master switch is turned on. (the NMEA network is on the master)
2) Put boat in water
3) Board boat and power on the graphs
4) Plug in trolling motor as I get to the first fishing spot (old trolling motor)

Doing it this way, with the Xi5 the GPS would never align. I tried a different order just to see if it would affect anything. It did.

1) Plug in trolling motor first
2) Turn on the NMEA with the master switch
3) Turn on the graphs.

Like magic everything worked as advertised.

Bryan

Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: BPKlein] #13151694 05/12/19 12:13 PM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Wow, that's interesting. I've never had the issue, but my powerup sequence is just random, or MG is always plugged in before I power up the HDS. Good to know. Thank you!
Tim

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: BPKlein] #13152082 05/12/19 10:18 PM
H
HappyNest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I only have one HDS tied to a MG x5 with NEMA. MG is plugged in, I have a master switch to power up the NEMA and then activate the HDS. When I am ready to use the MG I simply deploy it and the lights come on. I haven had a problem once I got past the initial setup that the folks at MG was helpful with. I like the system short of the deployment system of the MG. My MG is manually deployed.

Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: BPKlein] #13154188 05/14/19 06:25 PM
EZ_Legend Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
http://ww2.motorguide.com/userfiles/file/lowrance-gateway-instruction-RA-digital%20(7)%20(1).pdf

I followed this process and didn't have an issue.

Xi5 Motor Upgrade Process
It may be necessary for customers with a MotorGuide t may be necessary for customers with a MotorGuide® Xi5 trolling Xi5 trolling
motor to update the motor software before it is compatible with the otor to update the motor software before it is compatible with the
Lowrance owrance® SmartSteer interface. SmartSteer interface.
To update the motor, follow the directions below and those shown on o update the motor, follow the directions below and those shown on
the HDS display. he HDS display.
1. Update HDS unit(s) to the 3.5 software version. Note: Your motor will
not update unless all HDS unit(s) have the 3.5 software, see Lowrance.com
for details.
2. Once updated, power off HDS unit(s) and the NMEA 2000® network.
3. Connect the Pinpoint® Gateway Kit to your Xi5 trolling motor and
the NMEA 2000 network.
4. Power on the Xi5 Trolling Motor.
• Make sure the motor is in the down position (deployed)
• Make sure the motor has an active GPS lock (Blue GPS light
illuminated on the motor)
5. Power on the NMEA 2000 network.
6. Power on at least one networked HDS unit.

2003 Legend LE21
Optimax 225
Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: BPKlein] #13154326 05/14/19 08:23 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
BPK - I had a similar situation that went on for months, including all the finger pointing. If I replaced the Xi5 NMEA with another NMEA connection, that unit worked. It all pointed to the Gateway but MG would swear it couldn't be. I kept trying all kinds of ways, switching cables, etc., including sequencing. I finally broke down and purchased another Gateway (much cheaper today and it had a $50 rebate) and simply plugged it in. Viola, everything worked regardless of startup sequencing. Of course mine was out of warranty but it is only a cable with wires that don't get shuffled around. It's hard to believe MG cannot warrant it for longer than 12 mos. I'm glad changing sequencing worked for you, even if it does not make sense.

Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: BPKlein] #13154385 05/14/19 09:25 PM
BPKlein Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
UJC,

ThankYou for the insight. Mine is only a couple of weeks old, and even MG says it’s probably the gateway, but I have to take the whole boat to a MG authorized service center for them to verify that the gateway is bad. I’m not dragging the boat to “who knows where” so they can sit on it before they decide to warranty the issue.

Very frustrated.....

Bryan

Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: BPKlein] #13155282 05/15/19 06:50 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted by BPKlein
UJC,

ThankYou for the insight. Mine is only a couple of weeks old, and even MG says it’s probably the gateway, but I have to take the whole boat to a MG authorized service center for them to verify that the gateway is bad. I’m not dragging the boat to “who knows where” so they can sit on it before they decide to warranty the issue.

Very frustrated.....

Bryan

I still have the Gateway I pulled off of my unit. I'd be game to test it on yours. It shouldn't work but... I live in Plano if you want to connect up. PM me your phone if you'd like. I will gladly 'loan' it to you for testing. I wanted to test mine at the TM place in Lewisville (no mention of name) but they don't carry spare Gateways - go figure. They said I would have to go to the Dallas store. Yeah, like I really want to go to Dallas. So I bought a new one like I reported. MG should just send you a new one and you return the one you currently have since you're in warranty. I was persistent with Lowrance on an issue (I was out of warranty by one month) and it worked out favorably. It took some time, but the end result was a very satisfied customer - me! Escalate - maybe MG will too.

Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: BPKlein] #13297620 09/30/19 06:58 PM
C
Clint1395 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
BPKlein,
Did the sequence that you turn everything on in fix the issue completly or did it come back? I have the exact same issue you were having, so im wondering if it is still fixed?

Re: MG Xi5/Gateway/HDS issues [Re: Clint1395] #13303790 10/07/19 01:35 AM
Deja vue Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I had issues with my XI5 gateway this past spring and it was operator error.I didn't have the 2 arrows pointing towards one another at the connection.Now I use my readers when unplugging and reconnecting cables.

Deja vue
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide