Forums59
Topics1,039,351
Posts13,963,259
Members144,201
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: Stickchunker] #13094048 03/16/19 06:50 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Stickchunker
There is no current data to prove that the Alligator gar is on the decline.

Not true.

"Without length regulations, long-lived fishes such as Alligator Gars and sturgeons risk overfishing."

"Alligator Gar populations were impacted at even lower levels of exploitation; a rate of only 3% harvest halved the number of trophy fish available. Binion and Buckmeier recently reported that the current exploitation rate in Texas is about 3%, indicating that the size of these populations has probably been reduced already. Based on our model results, increasing interest in Alligator Gar fisheries in Texas may further threaten the size of remaining trophy populations because at an exploitation rate of 7% the number of trophy fish available was reduced to only 20%."

Responses of Alligator Gar Population to Harvest

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 03/16/19 06:51 AM.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13094197 03/16/19 03:03 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Gar are a prehistoric species and the species number is at historical highs. To protect them from extinction is a joke, they have been here longer than us and will survive us, regardless of whether the State regulates their harvest or not. From a Species standpoint, I dont care either way, as I will never target them anyway. As a former trotliner, I think they are a nuisance fish, nothing more, nothing less. As such, when I catch one they end up on the dinner plate, just like bass, buffalo, and catfish. Personally, the state regulation of these fish is just another example of government over reach to me. Incidentally, where possible I prefer limited State and Federal government size, in an effort to reduce the significant government burden currently in place in our country. Basically restated, just another taxpayer burden, championed by a few, at the expense of many.

texas flag

Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13094200 03/16/19 03:08 PM
S
SALLYSUE Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
My house over looks the lake and I have seen how the #'s of fishermen have increased in the last few years . Also I have seen how the #'s of all types of fish have drop

Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: SALLYSUE] #13094240 03/16/19 04:12 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SALLYSUE
My house over looks the lake and I have seen how the #'s of fishermen have increased in the last few years . Also I have seen how the #'s of all types of fish have drop

There is more involved than just numbers of fishermen.
Just as an example, the technology has skyrocketed over the last 30 years with all the advancements in electronics its almost cheating.

Just one more cast!

Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13143038 05/03/19 05:56 PM
F
Fish153 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Where are those spots at? I live in anahuac, tx and like far fishing but cant find where they are. Ive caught some under trinity river under I10 bridge and fort anahuac park. Where is a good bank fishing spot nearby? Livingston dam downstream may be good. Struggling with no boat at the moment

Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13143973 05/04/19 02:44 PM
O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O
If they want to eliminate the taking of Alligator Gar by bow fishing then they also need to eliminate ALL fishing for them. The stress from the long fight to bring in a trophy gar along with gut hooked fish still kills many. As for making bow fishing daylight only statewide is a joke. Try to bow fish for carp and buffalo at any other time than when they are in the shallows spawning (witch I don't do) and you will come home with an empty boat.
Whats next, no bass fishing when they are spawning? How about when bream or crappie are spawning, or catfish. Heck lets just close all the lakes to fishing and rivers and let the wake boats and jet fleas take over.

Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13143982 05/04/19 03:06 PM
S
Sgrem Offline
Angler
Angler
S
You will never impact fish populations by rod and reel.

Stand together for all legal pursuits.....or we will lose it all fighting seperately.

..... look at how red snapper has gone the last few years with people claiming populations decline. One year not to long ago the season was like 4 days. Keep it up and this will be your fishing future for whatever you like to hunt or fish for.

Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13144344 05/05/19 01:03 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I personally support whatever TPWD decides is best for the fisheries....
If they call to protect alligator gar, they have a reason. If they call for bowfishing daylight only, that'll suck but that's what I'll do. I don't see the ban on night time bowfishing happening, except in regards to the alligator gar anyway. Simply too many rough fish as it is....

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13144412 05/05/19 02:24 AM
S
slimjim Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Gar are a prehistoric species and the species number is at historical highs.

I would love to you know where you came to that conclusion. Here's a link so you can examine the historical range vs current distribution if you would like to educate yourself.
Alligator Gar, Atractosteus spatula

As for making bow fishing daylight only statewide is a joke. Try to bow fish for carp and buffalo at any other time than when they are in the shallows spawning (witch I don't do) and you will come home with an empty boat.

I wish y'all would read the commissioner meeting minutes. Not only was the night time ban struck off from the proposal, but it only applied to Alligator Gar fishing.

Simply too many rough fish as it is....

We are still waiting for your data to back this claim.
roflmao

Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13144477 05/05/19 03:49 AM
J
Jeremyworm Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
You guys take this too serious. Gar have been here forever and will more than likely be here much longer than human anyways unless all rivers and lakes go dry. Direct your attention else where....

Last edited by Jeremyworm; 05/05/19 03:49 AM.
Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13144510 05/05/19 04:32 AM
S
slimjim Offline
Angler
Angler
S
We all have things we are passionate about. Gar happen to be one of those things for me. Until the Wanton Waste and disregard for the conservation of these fish ceases, I will continue to argue with any person that wants to keep these topics alive with unfounded claims and hearsay. If you are tired of seeing these topics at the top, you should take that up with those people.

Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13144529 05/05/19 05:24 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Slim, you need to come out on the bowfishing boat with me one night at Lake Whitney or any other lake. You will be blown away at the sheer numbers of carp, gar, and buffalo. The numbers are insane! And that's just the little piece of the lake you see in a night. If you figure you might see .001% of the lake (can only cover so much water and vision is usually only 4' deep, AT BEST) and see thousands of fish in a night. I can only imagine the total numbers that are there!!
My girls go with me sometimes and they just watch in amazement at the fish and wads of minnows, snakes, turtles, nutria rats, beavers, deer, wild hogs, etc that you never see during the day time in and around the lake.

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: slimjim] #13144608 05/05/19 01:24 PM
O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted by slimjim
Gar are a prehistoric species and the species number is at historical highs.

I would love to you know where you came to that conclusion. Here's a link so you can examine the historical range vs current distribution if you would like to educate yourself.
Alligator Gar, Atractosteus spatula

As for making bow fishing daylight only statewide is a joke. Try to bow fish for carp and buffalo at any other time than when they are in the shallows spawning (witch I don't do) and you will come home with an empty boat.

I wish y'all would read the commissioner meeting minutes. Not only was the night time ban struck off from the proposal, but it only applied to Alligator Gar fishing.
Well when the original post shows "Additionally, bowfishing would be limited to only daylight hours statewide." it seems to imply all bow fishing. The changes were voted in on March 21,2019 Supplying a link to the information would be helpful as well. Changes to Alligator Gar Regulations

Simply too many rough fish as it is....

We are still waiting for your data to back this claim.
roflmao

Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13144832 05/05/19 07:18 PM
L
lowew79 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
SIGNED, absolutely! TPWD should definitely at least carefully monitor these fish populations.

Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed often, and for the same reason - Unknown
Re: Petition to Protect Alligator Gar! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13145241 05/06/19 02:11 AM
S
slimjim Offline
Angler
Angler
S
The numbers are insane! And that's just the little piece of the lake you see in a night. If you figure you might see .001% of the lake (can only cover so much water and vision is usually only 4' deep, AT BEST) and see thousands of fish in a night. I can only imagine the total numbers that are there!!

Here is what bothers me about statements such as these from bowfishermen in general....If you listened to or read the minutes of the TPWD commissioners meeting, there were many bowfishermen representing several organizations arguing that there was "no data" to show that we need more Alligator Gar regulations. However, I keep hearing these arguments that rough fish are overpopulated and need to be removed based on how many you "can see" in the water when you go bowfishing. So why is it that bowfishermen feel that they get to decide what lives and dies with no actual studies, but have a problem with the TPW deciding we need more Alligator Gar regulations based on harvest data and increased pursuit of these fish? Seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

I personally support whatever TPWD decides is best for the fisheries....

I respect you for that, and I understand your stance on the Alligator Gar. The problem is that from the meeting it appears that most bowfishermen that are passionate about their sport do not agree with what the TPWD decided. We have statements from state biologists indicating that these new regulations needed to be passed. These are biologist who spend every day of their job managing our fish populations. Who else is better qualified to make that determination than them?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide