Print Thread
Fly Fishing in Brazos County? #13141492 05/02/19 06:56 AM
T
TexasRoughFishing Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I’m from Southeast Texas (Tyler County, specifically), and creeks were plentiful in and around my hometown. Therefore, fly fishing opportunities were also plentiful. However, now I live in Bryan/College Station and have found my options are a tad bit more limited. I know about Lake Somerville, and fly fish below the dam frequently. But I was looking to find more places to try, specifically creeks. I’ve heard about Yegua creek and Nails creek but I do not know of any trails or access points (besides Yegua creek park, which I’m ALWAYS turned away from. They always tell me the park is full and they do not allow people in only to fish if The park is more than half full). I’ve also heard about the Little Brazos but haven’t actually heard of anyone catching anything out there. Another note is I do not have a kayak so bank/wade fishing are my only options. So if anyone knows of any good access points for Yegua or Nails creek, or any other good fly fishing spots in or around Brazos County that you wouldn’t mind sharing, I’d love to hear them!

Re: Fly Fishing in Brazos County? [Re: TexasRoughFishing] #13141588 05/02/19 12:31 PM
K
keebranch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Ben are you out there?

One of the board members who goes by hook line n sinker can help.

Les

http://ultralightflyfishing.com
Lightliner & creek fisherman
Re: Fly Fishing in Brazos County? [Re: TexasRoughFishing] #13142501 05/03/19 02:35 AM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
You can access Nails creek off CR 125. Yegua creek can be accessed at Irwin Bridge of CR 124. Yegua creek can also be accessed at Newman's bottom off CR 140 but it is a mile walk from the parking area. You can also fish Cedar creek at CR 125.

You can catch lots of white bass from the bank at Welch creek park right now. Get there early though as they have been moving deeper after the sun comes up. I got there at 6:30 AM on Saturday morning. They were thrashing the shad. I caught 25 in about 35 minutes, then the sun came up and I only caught a couple more. I should have been there at about 5:30. The hybrids will also chase the shad up by the bank.

Yegua Creek Park and Rocky creek park are closed to bank fisherman when they reach 75% capacity. So they are usually closed to bank fishermen every weekend. Neither has a creek running through it though. There is a creek off 1948, located half way between the 2 parks, Jardelle creek.

There is a Lake Somerville thread in the bank fishing section with lots of information on lake and the creeks.

There are a few small creeks in Bryan / College station that can be fished. I will often take my kayak and head west to fish places like Brushy creek and the San Gabriel river. If you would like more information you can send me a PM and we can have a phone conversation.

Re: Fly Fishing in Brazos County? [Re: J-Moe] #13142599 05/03/19 04:47 AM
T
TexasRoughFishing Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T

Originally Posted by J-Moe
You can access Nails creek off CR 125. Yegua creek can be accessed at Irwin Bridge of CR 124. Yegua creek can also be accessed at Newman's bottom off CR 140 but it is a mile walk from the parking area. You can also fish Cedar creek at CR 125.

You can catch lots of white bass from the bank at Welch creek park right now. Get there early though as they have been moving deeper after the sun comes up. I got there at 6:30 AM on Saturday morning. They were thrashing the shad. I caught 25 in about 35 minutes, then the sun came up and I only caught a couple more. I should have been there at about 5:30. The hybrids will also chase the shad up by the bank.

Yegua Creek Park and Rocky creek park are closed to bank fisherman when they reach 75% capacity. So they are usually closed to bank fishermen every weekend. Neither has a creek running through it though. There is a creek off 1948, located half way between the 2 parks, Jardelle creek.

There is a Lake Somerville thread in the bank fishing section with lots of information on lake and the creeks.

There are a few small creeks in Bryan / College station that can be fished. I will often take my kayak and head west to fish places like Brushy creek and the San Gabriel river. If you would like more information you can send me a PM and we can have a phone conversation.

Thank you! I’ll be looking into those spots for sure. Are the white bass still running in Yegua creek or am I too late? Thinking about going out tomorrow. I’ll either be trying one of those access points on yegua or below the Somerville dam, not quite sure yet.

Re: Fly Fishing in Brazos County? [Re: TexasRoughFishing] #13142850 05/03/19 02:48 PM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
No, the white bass run in the creeks is over

Re: Fly Fishing in Brazos County? [Re: TexasRoughFishing] #13143562 05/04/19 12:56 AM
T
Tom Baty Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I used to fly fish Carter Creek that runs along TX-6. I don't remember exactly where I'd get down to the water, but I'm thinking it was over by University.
I would fly fish the pond behind the Brazos Valley Museum of Natural History as well. Both places you were more likely to catch bream than anything else.
My favorite place to fish, hands down, was Finfeather Lake. It was tough to do with a fly rod, but if you have some conventional tackle you can have some fun.

More stories at Texas Wild
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide