Targeting hybrids - Lewisville #13136898 04/28/19 03:45 AM
J
Jeff Schiller Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
What's the secret to targeting hybrids?
Outside edge of the sandies? Live bair? Bigger artificial? Luck of the draw? Something else???

Lewisville specific info appreciated but not essential.

I'd like to try to target hybrids if possible. Just simply don't know how.

Thanks!

Re: Targeting hybrids - Lewisville [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13137099 04/28/19 02:54 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I spent 3 years targeting hybrids exclusively 2-3 days a week except during spawn. I can tell you that the absolute best summer area is the gravel pits. They will move from one area to the next feeding with or just behind the sandies. Larger artificial baits can quite often get the bigger hybrids however I was continually shocked at how many 6+ lb hybrids I would hook up with on my clouser minnow tied up above my jig. Live (or sometimes dead) bait will ALWAYS produce the larger fish on Lewisville. Bait size can be extremely critical. Often times if the bait was too large it wouldnt get bit. If using live bait I would always try and have three rods rigged with different shad sizes to help figure out what they were targeting.

Winter is a completely different story. Live bait is almost impossible to come by and fortunately completely unnecessary. Deadsticking flukes in around 40ft of water around main lake points is how I caught the majority of my big fish on Lewisville. Once you find them in that depth you should also be able to recognize them coming up to feed in 12-15 ft. This is the area to deadstick.

BTW, if you can the gravel pits are an incredible place to troll for big hybrids in the summer. Often its impossible with the amount of boats there.

Re: Targeting hybrids - Lewisville [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13137141 04/28/19 03:47 PM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Hybrids are looking like they are still a couple of weeks out to get started good!!

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: Targeting hybrids - Lewisville [Re: Notaguide] #13137175 04/28/19 04:37 PM
J
Jeff Schiller Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by Notaguide
I spent 3 years targeting hybrids exclusively 2-3 days a week except during spawn. I can tell you that the absolute best summer area is the gravel pits. They will move from one area to the next feeding with or just behind the sandies. Larger artificial baits can quite often get the bigger hybrids however I was continually shocked at how many 6+ lb hybrids I would hook up with on my clouser minnow tied up above my jig. Live (or sometimes dead) bait will ALWAYS produce the larger fish on Lewisville. Bait size can be extremely critical. Often times if the bait was too large it wouldnt get bit. If using live bait I would always try and have three rods rigged with different shad sizes to help figure out what they were targeting.

Winter is a completely different story. Live bait is almost impossible to come by and fortunately completely unnecessary. Deadsticking flukes in around 40ft of water around main lake points is how I caught the majority of my big fish on Lewisville. Once you find them in that depth you should also be able to recognize them coming up to feed in 12-15 ft. This is the area to deadstick.

BTW, if you can the gravel pits are an incredible place to troll for big hybrids in the summer. Often its impossible with the amount of boats there.

Awesome stuff.
By larger artificial baits, are you talking flukes, larger slabs, crank baits, or the hyper striper type jigs?

Very much appreciate the info.

Re: Targeting hybrids - Lewisville [Re: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish] #13137204 04/28/19 05:12 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted by tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Hybrids are looking like they are still a couple of weeks out to get started good!!

I think a lot of them are still up the creeks with all of the rain.

Re: Targeting hybrids - Lewisville [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13137230 04/28/19 05:46 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Very, very rarely did large flukes work for me. Smaller the better. I have a particular bait that I live by but I wont share it. I will say that a combo of white/chrome or white/chartreuse in an ounce and a half is very very good

Re: Targeting hybrids - Lewisville [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13137267 04/28/19 06:25 PM
R
RespectTheFish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Hybrids are the most amazing fish to target and tangle with in my opinion.

Im absolutely NO expert but heres a few tips from the 3-4 years Ive been chasing them.

Tip 1: go with a fishing guide! This will shorten the learning curve and is money well spent. There are guides on Lewisville too so thats a no brainer! Ive heard awesome things about bendarod Wes Campbell.

It can be very challenging at times to locate them because they are not always structure oriented like white bass or crappie tend to be. There are times, like winter and dead of summer where they may have no regard for structure such as humps, points, islands, etc and they may be in open water although these places are always a great starting point.

Get to a quality fishfinder and learn to read it. I made a YouTube channel called RespectTheFish where many of my videos are aimed at reading sonar and putting it all together. Again, NO expert by any means but I try to share what I learn and know.

Clay
Re: Targeting hybrids - Lewisville [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13137663 04/29/19 01:46 AM
B
BendaRod(WC) Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I think time on the water is another crucial factor. Also trusting your sonar is big. There has been some good info shared here already. Like Tom said, I think we still have some time before it gets good. Thanks for the kind words Respect!

Re: Targeting hybrids - Lewisville [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13137894 04/29/19 01:00 PM
B
Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
You got some solid advice above. We are a few weeks out still. I do the best when the water temps are above 75 degrees. Live bait is king. Keeping your bait in good condition is equally important. Invest in a good..i mean excellent bait tank and then work on your water conditioning. The hybrids wont touch crappy looking bait with red noses. They can be caught in multiple areas of the lake however your Summertime depth range should be 22-28 FOW. in the summer, in the afternoons when bait is hard to fine, use giant flutter spoons (RSR LURES BASS SPOON or HUMDINGER) and use the burn method. Cast them out as far as you can, turn the rod at 90 degrees, let the bait fall to the bottom and burn the reel 8-9 times as fast as you can. Hit the bail, let it fall directly to the bottom and then repeat. Your hybrids are going to bite it on the burn, not the fall. Use a bait cast with 12lb line so you can cast it a mile. in wind or deeper water, rig it like a Carolina bass rig with a egg weight so it falls better.

The sand bass are on fire at the moment. Now only if the hybrids would catch up and start biting before it gets brutally hot I'd appreciate it.. best of luck Jeff.

Phill's Guide Service - Lake Lewisville and Lake Ray Roberts
817-201-4144
https://phillsguideservice.com/
Like us on Facebook!
[Linked Image]
Re: Targeting hybrids - Lewisville [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13137994 04/29/19 02:51 PM
J
Jeff Schiller Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide