Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cleaning Fish at the Dock #13134786 04/26/19 12:25 AM
J
Jeff Schiller Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
I know the guides do it a lot. But what's the law surrounding cleaning fish at the dock?
Do you have to be on dry land? Or can you do it from your boat?
If you do it at the dock, rather dry land or from the boat, can you put the remains back in to the lake?

Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13135052 04/26/19 03:28 AM
ERNEST PATY Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Not in the boat. Dock counts as land.

Ernest Paty 214-202-7866
catchcrappie@aol.com

Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13135130 04/26/19 10:18 AM
hawghoover Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
we at Grapevine are not allowed to clean them at our boat slip.they claim the Game Warden cant determine the legal length once cut up.i do it anyway: food

Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13135181 04/26/19 12:03 PM
P
Paper mouth Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Id imagine they are supposed to stay intact until they reach their final destination.

Livescope, ruining a body of water near you!
Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13135235 04/26/19 12:57 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Depends on the Game Warden you talk to but as I understand it you cannot clean at the dock, on the boat or at the lake. They have to be cleaned at the house.

Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13135291 04/26/19 01:30 PM
B
Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I have been wondering the same thing. I've literally thrown thousands of fish carcasses back in the lake over the past few years. I clean them on the dock and the carcasses go back into the water. Two weekends ago while launching, a Denton county GW and i had a short discussion about this very topic. He said it is a very grey topic and could not give me an exact answer. He said that he, nor any of the other Denton GW's will hand out tickets for throwing fish back into the lake. There was a caveat though.. They would perhaps (not a definite) write a ticket if the fish are dumped into shallow enough water that they wash up on the shore. he pointed out a dead minnow ont he ground and told me that if he saw the perp that he would ahve issued a waste of bait as well as a littering ticket. the same could go if the fish carcasses all washed p on shore. that could potentially be littering.

What I took from it was that I am not breaching the law and I'll continue to throw the in the water. I'll make sure that the carcasses sink in deep water and should i see one on the shore from days prior I'll clean it so the public des not ahve to see dead fish on the shoreline.

Should anyone want to fact check my story please call Officer Spangler at 430-342-7067. He seems like a great GW.

Phill's Guide Service - Lake Lewisville and Lake Ray Roberts
817-201-4144
https://phillsguideservice.com/
Like us on Facebook!
[Linked Image]
Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13135312 04/26/19 01:43 PM
J
Jezreel Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Wow! ! ! Great info Phill. I have also been curious about this. I'm always looking over my shoulder when I'm doing it.

It is great to hear about the Game Warden. I wish they were more accessible to answer questions like these. I don't remember what forum I used to be on, but there was a Game Warden that monitored the threads, and he would respond in cases like this.

Thanks again for the great explanation.

Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13135401 04/26/19 02:55 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
MANY MANY laws in this great state need to be more specific, to avoid confusion. Having very unspecific and generic laws tends to put people in a state of limbo, not knowing exactly where they stand regarding the laws. (I think this system gives alot of flexibility to the gun and badge that is in charge of enforcing the law).. a good thing? sometimes..
Many people have different beliefs, so if you have a game warden that is a purist and wouldnt fart in the water if he were swimming, he sure as hell wouldnt approve of u throwing 17 pounds of fish guts in the lake.. but what matters is what the law says. most folks really want to do the right thing, but cant if the laws arent giving the specificity needed to discern what is legal, not legal..
Same thing with putting structure in a lake.. no real laws regarding the subject that I know of, but ask 10 different game wardens, get 11 different answers..

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc] #13135410 04/26/19 03:03 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Jezreel
Wow! ! ! Great info Phill. I have also been curious about this. I'm always looking over my shoulder when I'm doing it.

It is great to hear about the Game Warden. I wish they were more accessible to answer questions like these. I don't remember what forum I used to be on, but there was a Game Warden that monitored the threads, and he would respond in cases like this.

Thanks again for the great explanation.

Originally Posted by Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc
I have been wondering the same thing. I've literally thrown thousands of fish carcasses back in the lake over the past few years. I clean them on the dock and the
carcasses go back into the water. Two weekends ago while launching, a Denton county GW and i had a short discussion about this very topic. He said it is a very grey topic and could not give me an exact answer. He said that he, nor any of the other Denton GW's will hand out tickets for throwing fish back into the lake. There was a caveat though.. They would perhaps (not a definite) write a ticket if the fish are dumped into shallow enough water that they wash up on the shore. he pointed out a dead minnow ont he ground and told me that if he saw the perp that he would ahve issued a waste of bait as well as a littering ticket. the same could go if the fish carcasses all washed p on shore. that could potentially be littering.

What I took from it was that I am not breaching the law and I'll continue to throw the in the water. I'll make sure that the carcasses sink in deep water and should i see one on the shore from days prior I'll clean it so the public des not ahve to see dead fish on the shoreline.

Should anyone want to fact check my story please call Officer Spangler at 430-342-7067. He seems like a great GW.

A waste of bait?? 99 percent chance a bird or coon/possum will eat them.. it does make more sense to dump leftover minnows in the lake though. I would have a hard time paying a ticket for dumping a few half dead minnows in the grass.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13135437 04/26/19 03:37 PM
M
metalman BDB Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
The ramp near the dam on cooper has a fish cleaning station roflmao

Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13135467 04/26/19 04:01 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Almost all the marinas around Fork have fish cleaning tables near the lake. I've been cleaning them there for 25 years. That game warden is gonna have writers cramp if that's illegal.

Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Paper mouth] #13135484 04/26/19 04:25 PM
K
kdub#1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted by Paper mouth
Id imagine they are supposed to stay intact until they reach their final destination.

nope then explain fish cleaning stations at state parks.

Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13136041 04/27/19 02:40 AM
S
SteveW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Cut there eyes to help the sink.

Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13136187 04/27/19 12:02 PM
don the angler Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
For years, we had a great thing going at Lake Lewisville. The fishing barge had a great fish cleaning table with power and water. All was necessary was to filet the fish & drop the remains back in the water. Turtles, bream, catfish would then have a feast. The herons and egrets would station themselves on the roof & catch the remains when they hit the water. Seems like all the activity would be good for the lake. Then, suddenly the table was gone. The management said the GW or the Corps of Engineers had shut it down. We had a lot of angry fishermen after that.

Re: Cleaning Fish at the Dock [Re: don the angler] #13136270 04/27/19 01:58 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by don the angler
For years, we had a great thing going at Lake Lewisville. The fishing barge had a great fish cleaning table with power and water. All was necessary was to filet the fish & drop the remains back in the water. Turtles, bream, catfish would then have a feast. The herons and egrets would station themselves on the roof & catch the remains when they hit the water. Seems like all the activity would be good for the lake. Then, suddenly the table was gone. The management said the GW or the Corps of Engineers had shut it down. We had a lot of angry fishermen after that.
figures or NOT same kinda grey answer I got from g.w. on texoma about state boundary & duck hunt'n ?? where is okla. state line on water could not give me definet answer as far as landmarks etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide