Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts #13123371 04/14/19 08:05 PM
J
Jawz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Hi all, I'm heading to Ray Roberts and from what I can see it's a tree and stump lake. Looks like it can be dangerous and I can't afford a new lower until plus don't feel like getting ejected and hurt. Does anyone know or have any safe trails I can run on? I don't want fishing spot's just safe navigation. If need be I can throw you a few $$. I appreciate it...

Fishing is Like Breathing...I was born To Do it
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13123526 04/14/19 11:27 PM
White Oak Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Simple. South of Wolf is open. North of Wolf is a stump field. There are no lanes. It can be run on pad, but only if you know exactly where youre going. Dont chance it. Idle!! Depending on where you plan to fish, put in at Isle Du Bois or Buck Creek If you put in at Buck, once you go under the 377 bridge, idle.

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13123546 04/14/19 11:47 PM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Run that lake by GPS trails and you will end up in a fiberglass shop in no time. To be done correctly its needs to be run by sight and that just takes time on the water of knowing where to go. Good luck.

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13124781 04/16/19 02:15 AM
J
Jawz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Thank BWBForney I appreciate it... Barrett you're so right.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13124784 04/16/19 02:18 AM
C
CedarCreekBassAngler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C

So basically everyone hypes it up as a really dangerous lake to be on, and my first time was not scary at all you just need to idle and stay away from the visible trees. So anything North of Wolf Island, (the island on the east fork of the lake) is runnable but I would recommend Idling to get a trail so u can run on the trail on your way out. There are no trees below the island on main lake, but as you get closer to the creeks such as Lick or Sand creek, there will be a lot of trees. Ray Rob is not like Fork with a lot of trees that are just right under the surface, Most of the trees are out of the water and you can see them. I may be able to help with trails, I run Humminbird Lakemaster, and if u run humminbird there could be a way i could send u some more info.

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13124785 04/16/19 02:20 AM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
If you run past the telephone poles, you've run too far!!!! They ar hazard poles, and from then on, it's idle only. There is good fishing in those coves, though. So play the pinball game and get back there and fish!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13124821 04/16/19 02:39 AM
J
Jawz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks Cedar Creek...I use lowrance so I'd have to convert the file to a gpx file. You can possibly email it to me if you can get your card into your computer. I'm heading there with respect of the lake. Until i goof around on it for a day I'm going to be a little nervous. That's cool though that most of the trees are visible.

David Burton thanks for the info. I'll look for the telephone poles on Google Earth. I'm sure the hazard markers are on my mapping. From there I'll try and find the coves you're speaking of. Nothing wrong with pinball. Hopefully get a few good pictures.

I appreciate you guys

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13124830 04/16/19 02:45 AM
C
champRD Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Cedar Creek Bass Angler just so everyone knows , how many times have you fished on Roberts? I sure don't want someone to think your saying it's easy, (read )if you do not see it it's not there. I assure there are as many below as you see above. I sure don't want another green horn reading that it that easy and get hurt. Hope the Rayroberts locals chime in on this.

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13124836 04/16/19 02:54 AM
K
KnotEnuff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
At the present lake level (full) there are more trees just under the surface than those visible. You better know your lanes and you don't get a lane by just idling through an area one time.

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13124839 04/16/19 02:55 AM
Brandon Potter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I just started running past the island on the right side, around the back of the island into the mouth of Wolf a few weeks ago. And there are PLENTY of trees/stumps beneath the surface that you cant see. Best bet is if you havent been there much, take your time and idle.

2022 Skeeter ZXR21
Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13124849 04/16/19 03:04 AM
J
Jawz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Yeah I plan on idling most of the time especially when I get near any cove. Not going to have much time on the lake, but I'll make the most of it

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13124880 04/16/19 03:26 AM
K.D. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
My first time running Ray Roberts was somewhere Around,94-95. I fished it exclusively every week for many years. I can tell you without a doubt that lake has changed immensely and there are TONS of widow makers below the surface. Just running past Wolf island to Indian is littered with trees that I use to navigate by that are no longer visible. Im talking trees with 3-4 foot diameters.

Anyone who isnt puckered running up there without knowing exactly where they are going is just naive to how bad it really is.

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: CedarCreekBassAngler] #13124917 04/16/19 04:07 AM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by CedarCreekBassAngler

So basically everyone hypes it up as a really dangerous lake to be on, and my first time was not scary at all you just need to idle and stay away from the visible trees. So anything North of Wolf Island, (the island on the east fork of the lake) is runnable but I would recommend Idling to get a trail so u can run on the trail on your way out. There are no trees below the island on main lake, but as you get closer to the creeks such as Lick or Sand creek, there will be a lot of trees. Ray Rob is not like Fork with a lot of trees that are just right under the surface, Most of the trees are out of the water and you can see them. I may be able to help with trails, I run Humminbird Lakemaster, and if u run humminbird there could be a way i could send u some more info.

There are lots of trees broke off. We've lost a bunch of really big trees in the past 2 years. The difference is Fork was basically a constant level lake for many years and most of the tress broke off at normal elevation. Here we have trees broke off at all kinds of levels because the water level always fluctuated. Y'all need to be very picky on who you follow too. I'm seeing stuff being ran right now that is incredibly dangerous but people are getting away with it because the lake is full. Some of the stuff I'm seeing people do doesn't even makes since, almost like they are going out of their way to make it more dangerous.

And idling in 1 time then running out is a very poor idea. You might miss a stump by 6" on the way in and drill it on the way out. GPS isn't nearly accurate enough for that, nor could you possibly stay on your path that well while running.

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: CedarCreekBassAngler] #13124957 04/16/19 10:17 AM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by CedarCreekBassAngler

Youve just been lucky... there are thousands of trees broke off below the surface. That nice open looking area to the east of Wolf island has some 4ft diameter widow makers about 3 ft below the surface that come into play when the lake gets to about a foot low. If your running only concerned about the trees you can see its just a matter of time before your boat gets tore up. Guys that fish the lake a couple of times a week year round still hit stuff out there. I run a totally different lane north of the island when the lake is 1ft low or more, at 3ft I wont run half of the lanes I have up there.

Re: Navigation help on lake Ray Roberts [Re: Jawz] #13124975 04/16/19 11:15 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Locals just try and scare you away from certain areas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide