Forums59
Topics1,039,271
Posts13,961,992
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Jamesche] #13118695 04/09/19 06:17 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jamesche
I'm in my fifth year as a boat captain for THSBA, and for three of those years, I've been a team advisor. I just have to say that many of the posts in this thread aren't an accurate reflection of the organization or the boat captains and anglers who are participating. The VAST majority of competitors I see on the water are great people who compete fairly. They're the kind of people I think most fishermen are; good, down-to-earth people who enjoy being outdoors and chasing those green fish that can drive you nuts.

All of the people I've dealt with at THSBA (and the list is long) have been great. Each of those people is overwhelmed with work to get our young anglers on the water, but you'd never know it in the way they deal with you. They're polite, friendly, and I think they're that way because they are passionate about providing this experience for our young anglers. It's an important responsibility. Many of these anglers are headed to college teams, and the experience they have with the THSBA prepares them well for that.

Sure, there are people who don't care about the rules, but they are a tiny minority of people. The majority are great people, among the best you'll meet anywhere. I don't know Ben and Briggs, but I know many people who do know them (including my son), and every single one of those people attests to their high character. On the afternoon of regionals, my son told me, "Dad, I don't know what happened, but I know those boys and they are great kids. I guarantee you they didn't cheat. It was something else." In my experience, most of the people in the THSBA are like Ben and Briggs.

If you're a boat owner and are considering taking on a couple of kids as a captain, don't let this thread deter you! I captained a couple of boys before my son made it to high school. They fished all season and didn't catch a single keeper, but they still had a great time, and I had a great time with them. Every year, our team struggles to try and get everyone who wants to fish on the water. Boat captain shortages are the number 1 reason why kids who really want to fish don't make it onto the water. We absolutely need volunteer captains!

Jim

cheers

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Okie Poke] #13118716 04/09/19 06:41 PM
T
tricky Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Originally Posted by JIM SR.
after reading all this,...maybe High Schools aren't ready for organized bass fishing. frown

We have a winner!

If they are going to be "High School" tourny's they should fish them during the week.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: tricky] #13118723 04/09/19 06:56 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by tricky
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Originally Posted by JIM SR.
after reading all this,...maybe High Schools aren't ready for organized bass fishing. frown

We have a winner!

If they are going to be "High School" tourny's they should fish them during the week.

That sounds good in theory but I would bet it would keep a bunch of captains from being able to help.

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: txsuperman] #13118730 04/09/19 07:01 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I was affiliated with a different organization and a different "club style" HS sport for a while when my son was in school. They had a similar 501C3 organization but most of their prizes and scholarships came from industry people not from entry fees. Not sure if this is the same and I may be speaking out of turn but I would guess that most of the scholarships and prizes are donated. They also had a deal where money that was taken in or earned by the different teams was matched dollar for dollar by industry companies. The people that were running the show (the "employees") were and still are making bank off of these HS kids. Not saying they didn't work for it like I am sure these tourney people are but they were definitely not volunteers.

When the HS people were on Roberts a few weeks ago, I fished for about an hour and had enough. In my short time on the water I witnessed a kid on the front deck with no jacket on the leaning post, the captain on the big motor running across a shallow cove, got cut off multiple times, and watched kids sitting while captains fished. I left it to them and decided to fish another day when they weren't out there. Just not for me and I don't think it is as great of a deal as some are making it out to be.

If you want to ensure the future of outdoor sports, take your Sons and Daughters outside with you. Teach them to hunt and fish and where their food really comes from. Teach them to love and respect the outdoors and the creatures and plants that live there. Teach them to use what they need, leave the rest, and leave where ever they have been better than they found it.

I fish the occasional tournament but I get far more joy out of a peaceful day in the woods or on the water for fun or for food but not for money. Tournaments are not the only way to enjoy fishing and I think we should be teaching our kids that!

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13118889 04/09/19 10:17 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
I was affiliated with a different organization and a different "club style" HS sport for a while when my son was in school. They had a similar 501C3 organization but most of their prizes and scholarships came from industry people not from entry fees. Not sure if this is the same and I may be speaking out of turn but I would guess that most of the scholarships and prizes are donated. They also had a deal where money that was taken in or earned by the different teams was matched dollar for dollar by industry companies. The people that were running the show (the "employees") were and still are making bank off of these HS kids. Not saying they didn't work for it like I am sure these tourney people are but they were definitely not volunteers.

When the HS people were on Roberts a few weeks ago, I fished for about an hour and had enough. In my short time on the water I witnessed a kid on the front deck with no jacket on the leaning post, the captain on the big motor running across a shallow cove, got cut off multiple times, and watched kids sitting while captains fished. I left it to them and decided to fish another day when they weren't out there. Just not for me and I don't think it is as great of a deal as some are making it out to be.

If you want to ensure the future of outdoor sports, take your Sons and Daughters outside with you. Teach them to hunt and fish and where their food really comes from. Teach them to love and respect the outdoors and the creatures and plants that live there. Teach them to use what they need, leave the rest, and leave where ever they have been better than they found it.

I fish the occasional tournament but I get far more joy out of a peaceful day in the woods or on the water for fun or for food but not for money. Tournaments are not the only way to enjoy fishing and I think we should be teaching our kids that!

Once again for the people in the back of the room - they have offered multiple times to show you to the PENNY where the money goes. All you have to do is call.
Just because you had bad dealings is no cause to throw shade on another organization.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Txduckhunter] #13119077 04/10/19 02:04 AM
B
BackSeatBuddy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Once again Txduckhunter to the THSBA Rescue, Makes You wonder who realy is the Txduckhunter.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: tricky] #13119083 04/10/19 02:06 AM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R

[/quote]
If they are going to be "High School" tourny's they should fish them during the week.[/quote]

Bass Fishing is not a UIL sport ran by the schools. Therefore, the tournaments cannot be during school hours. The schools generally will not allow the kids an excused absence for fishing.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: txsuperman] #13119179 04/10/19 04:16 AM
B
bbassfishes Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Didn't read all this, but I captained last year and can tell many stories that would get many teams disqualified for not following the rules. I don't have a kid old enough to participate, but took out third party kids, they were very honest, but seeing other captain anglers, they were not keeping up their end of the rules. i don't think it's so much the kids than it is the parents wanting to "live vicariously" or make sure their kids go on by doing some "not by the rules" stuff. Sad to see, but there has to be some changes to make sure it's a level playing field going forward.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: RKT] #13119246 04/10/19 11:55 AM
J
joebass2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by RKT

If they are going to be "High School" tourny's they should fish them during the week.[/quote]

Bass Fishing is not a UIL sport ran by the schools. Therefore, the tournaments cannot be during school hours. The schools generally will not allow the kids an excused absence for fishing.[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they get a day out of school on Friday to prefish. Eliminating this day off, in my opinion, would reduce the participation to the kids actually interested in fishing.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: joebass2] #13119252 04/10/19 12:03 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by joebass2
Originally Posted by RKT

Bass Fishing is not a UIL sport ran by the schools. Therefore, the tournaments cannot be during school hours. The schools generally will not allow the kids an excused absence for fishing.[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they get a day out of school on Friday to prefish. Eliminating this day off, in my opinion, would reduce the participation to the kids actually interested in fishing. [/quote]

Thats not correct for many of the clubs. Our school had zero participation, wasnt involved at all, wouldnt even do one thing to promote it or even let an announcement be made letting students know we had a club. Some are involved and give excused absences.

I say they werent involved, they werent until they allowed a dad that was kicked out of the club to complain. A dad that cursed me, lied, tried to get another club member disqualified, couldnt follow simple rules. This was the third time this team/parent had tried to get someone else disqualified, none of them resulted in DQs. Good news is he was allowed start his own club and run it, his kid was allowed to fish under a different name and keep their points.

Last edited by C130; 04/10/19 12:04 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide