Forums59
Topics1,039,316
Posts13,962,753
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: txsuperman] #13117835 04/08/19 09:56 PM
R
RedRaider3933 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
It takes a special breed to volunteer your time and watercraft to shuttle around kids that aren't yours. I applaud you. I'd have it on the trailer by 9:30 am with a phone call to the parents to pick their heathens up at the ramp. I hear more s*it show stories than positive ones.

Go Tech
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: txsuperman] #13117838 04/08/19 09:58 PM
T
tx_basser Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I was at Ray Hubbard yesterday and there must be a HS tournament soon at the lake was covered in kids and bassboats.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: RedRaider3933] #13117845 04/08/19 10:00 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by RedRaider3933
It takes a special breed to volunteer your time and watercraft to shuttle around kids that aren't yours. I applaud you. I'd have it on the trailer by 9:30 am with a phone call to the parents to pick their heathens up at the ramp. I hear more s*it show stories than positive ones.

If the organization made it easy on captains it wouldn't be so bad. But they dont...

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: txsuperman] #13117846 04/08/19 10:01 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Mhobbs
Take a poll on what people actually think of high school tournaments and the havoc it has had on public lakes. Lots of issues. There are too many of them and it is out of control with the number and the level of discourteous boat captains there are. They should put all teams in and draw for captains to take the cheat at all cost mentality out of the picture. High school tournaments are wrecking Rayburn and should be spread around to other lakes as well.

I said this from the beginning, unless its a draw on draw format it will be fraught with cheating and it was with Captain daddy catching big fish and letting the kids weigh them in. But then here come the parents screaming about not wanting to put their kids in a boat with strangers, can't have it both ways.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: WAWI] #13117850 04/08/19 10:05 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by RedRaider3933

If the organization made it easy on captains it wouldn't be so bad. But they dont...

I agree, I am off work all week and would like to go fish Somerville with a friend. A friend that has never fished Somerville. But, according to the rules and the way I interpret them I can't do it within two weeks so I can't fish in my own boat with a friend. I'm done after my son graduates this year. It's fair for a parent to pay the top guy around any amount of money they want but I can't pre fish with a friend and it's just me and my son fishing the tournaments. I do it myself, I don't hire out the top guys around like many do. Like I said, it's their rules and their series so I get it. If I don't like it I don't have to do it.

Last edited by C130; 04/08/19 10:07 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: C130] #13117860 04/08/19 10:14 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by C130
Take a poll on what people actually think of high school tournaments and the havoc it has had on public lakes. Lots of issues. There are too many of them and it is out of control with the number and the level of discourteous boat captains there are. They should put all teams in and draw for captains to take the cheat at all cost mentality out of the picture. High school tournaments are wrecking Rayburn and should be spread around to other lakes as well.

I fully agree on the draw for boat captains but I'm not sure how many boat captains would agree to this. As it currently is, it's so far from fair it's crazy. Going out and winning a tournament when you've never pre fished a single day or never even been on the lake before isn't impressive to me when you have the right boat captain. Especially knowing what went on to get the boat captain.

I've kind of done this both ways.
I've captained for kids that I had never met and I've carried kids that I have an ongoing relationship with.
The kids that I've never met - it's been 95% a mess. Kids didn't really have the drive to be competitive, didn't listen to directions very well and just didn't fish all that well. They were, as a whole, respectful and polite. Only one trip was a total disaster and left me with a really bad experience.
On the other hand, I've had two teams that wanted to be competitive as they could be. One team didn't really have the skills but they had the want to, I fished with them their senior year so time was limited. I still talk to one of them pretty regularly and he is a stand out young man. My current team, I've had since they were freshmen. They are willing to put in the work, work on their skills, have a positive outlook and fish to the last minute. This shows in their HS "career" and they have racked up some scholarship money, have some wood on the wall, won a lot of gear, etc, etc. None of that matters as much as the things we've experienced and watching them grow into the young men they have become. This is something I wouldn't trade for anything and they aren't even "my" kids.
IMO, that bond is as much a part of THSBA as winning or competing. It doesn't matter if they are your kids or just "borrowed" kids.
I don't mind pinch hitting every once in awhile but, If it went to some sort of "draw" for captains, I'm out. The odds of getting some kid that didn't really want it are too high and I'm not going to waste my time with kids who aren't dedicated to whatever pursuit they are involved in.

Last edited by Txduckhunter; 04/08/19 10:16 PM.
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Txduckhunter] #13117866 04/08/19 10:22 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

I fully agree on the draw for boat captains but I'm not sure how many boat captains would agree to this. As it currently is, it's so far from fair it's crazy. Going out and winning a tournament when you've never pre fished a single day or never even been on the lake before isn't impressive to me when you have the right boat captain. Especially knowing what went on to get the boat captain.

I've captained for kids that I had never met and I've carried kids that I have an ongoing relationship with.
The kids that I've never met - it's been 95% a mess. Kids didn't really have the drive to be competitive, didn't listen to directions very well and just didn't fish all that well. They were, as a whole, respectful and polite. Only one trip was a total disaster and left me with a really bad experience.
On the other hand, I've had two teams that wanted to be competitive as they could be. One team didn't really have the skills but they had the want to, I fished with them their senior year so time was limited. I still talk to one of them pretty regularly and he is a stand out young man. My current team, I've had since they were freshmen. They are willing to put in the work, work on their skills, have a positive outlook and fish to the last minute. This shows in their HS "career" and they have racked up some scholarship money, have some wood on the wall, won a lot of gear, etc, etc. None of that matters as much as the things we've experienced and watching them grow into the young men they have become. This is something I wouldn't trade for anything and they aren't even "my" kids.
IMO, that bond is as much a part of THSBA as winning or competing. It doesn't matter if they are your kids or just "borrowed" kids.
I don't mind pinch hitting every once in awhile but, If it went to some sort of "draw" for captains, I'm out. The odds of getting some kid that didn't really want it are too high and I'm not going to waste my time with kids who aren't dedicated to whatever pursuit they are involved in.

Why are all these kids that do not want to be there involved? Makes no sense

#MFGA
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: txsuperman] #13117867 04/08/19 10:24 PM
J
JIM SR. Online Sick
TFF Guru
Online Sick
TFF Guru
J
after reading all this,...maybe High Schools aren't ready for organized bass fishing. frown

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: txsuperman] #13117868 04/08/19 10:26 PM
B
Beast From The East Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I've donated tons of bait and gear to my local high schools but there is no way they're getting me to captain in one of these fiascos.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Txduckhunter] #13117875 04/08/19 10:30 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

I agree, I don't think it would work. I think it would be more fair but that's about the only benefit. Too many boat captains wouldn't do it if it went to a draw type deal. I have really enjoyed the three years I have done it. Overall, some great kids with some great parents. Unfortunately, the one set of really bad parents has me ending the season and my sons final year not thrilled with the current way things are run. I should have taken care of it the first year, I didn't and it just got worse every year. The good news is the dad gets to run his own club now and start from the beginning.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Douglas J] #13117876 04/08/19 10:31 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Douglas J

Why are all these kids that do not want to be there involved? Makes no sense

I truly wish I had an answer.
I think that some kids don't realize exactly what a full tourney day on the water entails.
I think some "think" they want it until they get into it. Some think they are the greatest because they are tackle junkie and want to be the coolest with the greatest stuff.( adults are the same btw)
Some just want a day on the water to go fishing.( as long as I'm aware of this one from the get-go, I can live with this) and don't really care as long as they catch a fish or two.

It takes a special kind of person to stand on a deck for 10 hours throwing a bait in the water looking for a jerk on the other end.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Sinkey] #13117887 04/08/19 10:40 PM
Bandit 200 XP Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Sinkey
I commend both guys for coming on here and telling their side of it. To me there is a huge difference in someone doing something stupid during the heat of the battle. And someone cheating on purpose.

Live and learn and get better. That's all you can do.

Thanks for being men and stepping up to what you guys did. Good luck the rest of yall's seasons.

thumb

Triton 200 XP
200 Yamaha 0X66
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: RandyD] #13117890 04/08/19 10:42 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by RandyD
Agree on the point made regarding "Cheating vs breaking a rule"... cheating is stuffing the belly with weights, clipping the tail, etc... but having 6 fish in the live well at end of the day, or forgetting to put your life vest on before you start up the big motor is just plain not paying attention and being dumb (rule infraction); cheating = DQ; where as a rules infraction, especially an obvious one is a weight penalty and move on...

That’s been my point all along. That, and having your “fate” determined by the very ones you are competing against. Seems as though it would be easier to cruise around in a boat taking pictures until you eliminate the competition. Lol. Vs, just fishing and beating them fair and square.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: JIM SR.] #13117893 04/08/19 10:47 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by JIM SR.
after reading all this,...maybe High Schools aren't ready for organized bass fishing. frown

We have a winner!

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: txsuperman] #13117897 04/08/19 10:51 PM
J
JIM SR. Online Sick
TFF Guru
Online Sick
TFF Guru
J
Having a few 'referee/officials boats' on the water may be a good idea. noidea

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide