Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13110455 04/02/19 01:09 AM
S
SATopWater Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I've hired 3 guides:

- Florida with my Dad while the family was at Disney. The guy actually said, "Let's stop for a few minutes and listen, we can find them that way." We sat in a spot for 15 minutes or so not fishing so we could hear them. I was really new to the sport or I would have been more direct about the situation.

- Minnesota, while the family was at the Mall of America. Lake Minnetonka. He tried, a little bit, it was tough, we caught no bass and a few other species. He asked if we could give up early. He was a recommendation from someone on a fishing forum (not this one).

- Texas, fished with a friend and the guide at Falcon. He was very interested, did fish a little, he caught some good ones. We caught some good ones. Well worth the money.

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13110838 04/02/19 01:47 PM
BMCD Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Its a 2 way problem called communication. I have done several promotional trips for people. I ask them what they want to accomplish\expect, normally its just to catch fish. I also make sure I know there level of fishing. Some people wont tell you anything. I have fished with a few guides, my experience's have all been good.

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13110928 04/02/19 03:22 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I wish all good luck to all guides except one that I used in 2005 on Fork. Most of them work their rears off for the customer. But most importantly, if I guided I would not be enjoying the fun, passionate, kid-like feeling that I get when I go. I wouldnt be a guide for 3 times the amount of money that I make today. Good luck to all the guides!

Okie cheers

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13111220 04/02/19 07:08 PM
P
plk1122 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I recently did a crappie guide so I could fast forward my learning curve. I told him I didn't care about catching fish but wanted to learn technique, how to locate them, even how he utilizes his fish finder. It was a very good experience and I learned a lot. He fished some but I do remember there was a spot where he caught 3 and I wasn't catching any. He stopped fishing, moved the boat a little then watched and gave me a few pointers. With his critiquing, I was able to get 2-3 real quick. This was important that he coached me just then. That little coaching only lasted 5 mins but the pointers he gave me were very good and he fulfilled what I wanted out of the trip (which was to learn and not catch).

I did a guide trip on my honey moon in the Caribbean. This guy was on trip advisor with good reviews. The trip was meh at best. We used little bait fish and caught (I think they were types of snapper I can't remember) a lot of these snapper fish. None of them had size and he kept quite a few. Offered us a few filets from them when we were leaving (i'm not sure what he did with the rest.) He would try to bait the hooks (which I didn't like) and didn't want us to take the fish off. I gathered he normally takes people that hardly ever fish and are just happy to get any fish on the line. I felt I could have taken my boat and done the same thing. I'll take most blame for this as I didn't plan the trip the best and didn't ask/tell him what I really wanted.

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13111362 04/02/19 09:46 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13111434 04/02/19 11:15 PM
White Oak Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I have hired guides on Fork, around 10, saltwater inshore, 5 or 6, offshore, 5 or 6, a few for sand bass or crappie with my family, etc. So, I probably have fished with guides a total of 30 times or so. I agree that communication is paramount. The customer has to tell the guide what he is trying to accomplish and/or the guide has to ask. In all the guide trips I've taken, only one time was I truly disappointed, and it was on Fork, 7 or 8 years ago. Went with a newer guide who had some great press. Asked him to do one thing...help my wife, teach her, work with her. He handed her a spinning rod, put her on the back of the boat, and went back up to the front to flip trees. She caught zip. He caught 8-10 fish. Should I have said something to him and reiterated he needed to help her? Probably. But, I kept thinking at any time he would actually work with her. He never did. So, I would never use him and I wouldn't recommend him. But, I sure wouldn't name him on any site. If asked about him, now, I just tell people I met him once and he seemed like a nice kid. he got my money ONCE!! YES, it was my fault for not speaking up, but I felt it was his job to know how to do his job!

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13111450 04/02/19 11:43 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Most, not all, guides fish the front. I see the logic in going in at lunch and having more fish than the other boats BUT......

The best guide trips Ive ever had were with guides like Jay Greishaw and Carlos Olivares who launch the trolling motor and drive you around saying cast over there or try this over here. They only grab a rod when you ask them to.

There are so many great guides out there and you just have to ask them to put the rod down if they find the pattern and it feels like they are front ending you. Most of them will.

[Linked Image]
Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13111507 04/03/19 12:24 AM
J
Jig-N-Spoon Offline
Angler
Angler
J
IF I was a guide, and I'm not, but I can fish and catch BIG fish regularly and have hired guides in the past and every one of them has taught me something....to have a guide front end you to build a rep is wrong. They are supposed to show YOU how to catch 'em. That being said with todays technology (Ultrex), if I WAS a guide, and I'm not, but if I was worth a SH!T I would sit in a comfortable fold down seat in the back deck with a remote control to the Ultrex telling clients throw here throw there etc. How easier for a guide does it get? Yes , I would have to find and pattern schools of fish or at least areas that held large numbers and maybe I would have to establish todays bite, but after that , looks to me like I could kick back and let my customers kick as$ and catch as many as they wanted listening to Jimmy Buffet or Casey Ashley? Whatever. Trophy fisherman a little different deal. They have to understand that you are looking for ONE big bite that day. And let me say that guiding bass fishermen has too be the most difficult profession I could ever imagine. You just can't satisfy everyone. What are you gonna do when a guy shows up wanting a 10+ pound bass with a Zebco 33 and 12 lb line? So communication is obviously key but what'cha gonne do??????? Adjust! My $0.02

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13111553 04/03/19 12:53 AM
B
Bass N Beer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
The only good "guide" trips that I've had, we Striper fishing at Texoma. The Bass trips were always, meh. That being said, the Bass trips were always inclement weather related. Never hit a good day weather wise.

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: Bass N Beer] #13112429 04/03/19 05:30 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Bass N Beer
The only good "guide" trips that I've had, we Striper fishing at Texoma. The Bass trips were always, meh. That being said, the Bass trips were always inclement weather related. Never hit a good day weather wise.

The only issue with some of the striper guides is that they are just in a rush to limit you out, go in and clean them. Happened at Whitney once. Literally on the water for 45 minutes and done. Back to the ramp we went.

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13112441 04/03/19 05:37 PM
SkeeterHawk Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I'm sorry but I can't stand it when someone writes a book on here. Keep it sweet and simple.

Here is what I expect.

Courtesy
Up Front info before fishing day
Guide to put me on fish, then stop fishing once we find them.
Give me a discount on the next trip if no fish are caught.

I hate it when the guide catches bigger fish then I do.

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: Jig-N-Spoon] #13112470 04/03/19 05:55 PM
L
Lil joe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Originally Posted by Jig-N-Spoon
IF I was a guide, and I'm not, but I can fish and catch BIG fish regularly and have hired guides in the past and every one of them has taught me something....to have a guide front end you to build a rep is wrong. They are supposed to show YOU how to catch 'em. That being said with todays technology (Ultrex), if I WAS a guide, and I'm not, but if I was worth a SH!T I would sit in a comfortable fold down seat in the back deck with a remote control to the Ultrex telling clients throw here throw there etc. How easier for a guide does it get? Yes , I would have to find and pattern schools of fish or at least areas that held large numbers and maybe I would have to establish todays bite, but after that , looks to me like I could kick back and let my customers kick as$ and catch as many as they wanted listening to Jimmy Buffet or Casey Ashley? Whatever. Trophy fisherman a little different deal. They have to understand that you are looking for ONE big bite that day. And let me say that guiding bass fishermen has too be the most difficult profession I could ever imagine. You just can't satisfy everyone. What are you gonna do when a guy shows up wanting a 10+ pound bass with a Zebco 33 and 12 lb line? So communication is obviously key but what'cha gonne do??????? Adjust! My $0.02

We actually fished with a guide in Florida more than 10 years ago that did something like this. He had a trolling motor with a remote hanging on his neck. He sat in the drivers seat and drove the trolling motor while we fished from the front deck. I think that was when remote controlled trolling motors first came onto the scene because we didnt know they even existed

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: fivebites] #13112710 04/03/19 08:22 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by fivebites
First off I wouldn't be a guide no matter what the pay. It's a tough way to earn a living, and the older I get the more I wouldn't want any part of it. Maybe if I was 25 my body could take it. Wind, cold, hot, rain, snow, and clients who wouldn't know a palomar knot from a doughnot...no thank you. I've fished with buddies that A) couldn't flip a bait worth a dang, and B)did not know what a bass' body language looked like, and whether a fish was "locked" on a bed or not. I've hired some of the best guides on Lake Fork. Brian Duplechain, Mark Pack, Hollis Joiner, and several more. All of them fished with us. NONE of them front ended or tried to outfish us. When we got to a prime spot they would point it out, tell me what was there structure wise, why we were fishing it, and let me take first shot at it. I would imagine many clients are not great at all techniques. If they're really on a jig bite for example, and your client has no feel for a subtle jig bite, but the guide KNOWS they're on it, he might throw one to let you know...this is the real deal. And then let you try to learn the technique. That's what good guides do. I had another guide on Lake Fork years ago, who literally front ended me the first two hours, pitching a jig to the best spots we pulled up on and caught fish. Then told me why that fish he just caught was there. That ended quickly. I was on his left elbow the rest of the day and let him know I wasn't there to let him try for his personal best. R.M. for those of you who were around back in the early 90's was the guide. If you're bed fishing I would want the guide to teach me how to bed fish, regardless of my ability or skill level. That's how you learn. Show me a little, teach me the rest. If you can't flip or pitch and you're trying to bed fish with a guide, and he can't figure out another way to get a bite...he's not much of a guide.

*snort* I'm not a fan of that fella...and he probably still hates your guts for having the audacity to get up there beside him roflmao

Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13112722 04/03/19 08:28 PM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
NEVER EVER EVER expect to go catch fish! IT HAPPENS! GET OVER IT!

Last edited by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king; 04/03/19 08:28 PM.

We are the TOP RATED fishing reel repair, cleaning, and tuning company on Google 500+ 5 star reviews!!!!!
https://fishingreelrepaircompany.com/
Re: Expectations when hiring a guide [Re: FW22] #13112741 04/03/19 08:37 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Most of the trips I have been on I have been alone and I ask the guide to fish with me. I learn a lot from watching them and am happy when anyone in a boat I am in catches a fish. I am a different customer though, I pay for a guide when the conditions are the worst trying to get better. I always let the guide know this up front and tell them what I am trying to learn from them so they come prepared. I have been on two different trips where we caught one fish all day and I paid and tipped the guide generously for everything I learned while I was with them.

What to expect...

Professional, personable and fun to be around, courteous(don't appreciate a foul mouthed guide), hard working no quit attitude, knowledgeable, and above all else a good teacher! In the end if you catch fish it makes it even better!!

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide