Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: JavelinJ] #13098014 03/20/19 04:34 PM
White Oak Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
LakeForkGroupie makes a great point. Most of us who know the lake often see jet skiers, pontoons, and bass boats hauling rear through stump fields. We just watch and hope to not hear a giant crash. We fished Rayburn last weekend while a THSBA tournament was going on. We were fishing a point, a team ran on plane between us and the shallows, which wasn't cool. But, they ran within a few feet, if not inches, of a giant stump, 3' plus across, that we just discovered the day before. He missed it, but he was very lucky. Don't assume that anyone running on plane knows Fork. They assume since you can't see the trees, they/re not there. NOT the case, anywhere on the lake, other than by the dam. Don't be intimidated, just be cautious. If you aren't sure, IDLE!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: White Oak Skeeter] #13098026 03/20/19 04:47 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BWBForney
LakeForkGroupie makes a great point. Most of us who know the lake often see jet skiers, pontoons, and bass boats hauling rear through stump fields. We just watch and hope to not hear a giant crash. We fished Rayburn last weekend while a THSBA tournament was going on. We were fishing a point, a team ran on plane between us and the shallows, which wasn't cool. But, they ran within a few feet, if not inches, of a giant stump, 3' plus across, that we just discovered the day before. He missed it, but he was very lucky. Don't assume that anyone running on plane knows Fork. They assume since you can't see the trees, they/re not there. NOT the case, anywhere on the lake, other than by the dam. Don't be intimidated, just be cautious. If you aren't sure, IDLE!

Don't assume someone running thru a stumpfield doesn't know where they are running. They may know it well enough to have a trail marked. Just like that guy may have a waypoint on that stump. Might not be luck at all.

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: Dubee] #13098058 03/20/19 05:07 PM
L
LakeForkGroupie Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted by Dubee

Don't assume someone running thru a stumpfield doesn't know where they are running. They may know it well enough to have a trail marked. Just like that guy may have a waypoint on that stump. Might not be luck at all.

I know, I don't have that trail or waypoint, so I don't follow.

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: JavelinJ] #13098322 03/20/19 09:02 PM
White Oak Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Dubee, maybe my post was confusing. I am not saying that all who run outside the lanes rely on luck. I am saying that a newbie to Fork can get a false sense of security when he sees someone running, for example along the bank from Mustang to Lake fork Marina. Many of us have that trail marked and run it. However, there are still a bunch of folks who run because they don't see trees. I would hate for anyone to assume if someone is running through an area, the area is clear cut. Further, even with the boat lanes chip, the giant stump on the right going into Caney, just feet away from the lane, can be a widow maker quick. Fork is not a place for someone who doesn't know the lake well to run around too much. Some know the place like the back of their hands, but some do rely on luck and prayer, or pure ignorance of the hazards that exist right below water level.

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: White Oak Skeeter] #13098332 03/20/19 09:16 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Dubee, maybe my post was confusing. I am not saying that all who run outside the lanes rely on luck. I am saying that a newbie to Fork can get a false sense of security when he sees someone running, for example along the bank from Mustang to Lake fork Marina. Many of us have that trail marked and run it. However, there are still a bunch of folks who run because they don't see trees. I would hate for anyone to assume if someone is running through an area, the area is clear cut. Further, even with the boat lanes chip, the giant stump on the right going into Caney, just feet away from the lane, can be a widow maker quick. Fork is not a place for someone who doesn't know the lake well to run around too much. Some know the place like the back of their hands, but some do rely on luck and prayer, or pure ignorance of the hazards that exist right below water level.

I totally get it and understand. I just see comments on here all the time. Like he ran by a big stump he's lucky he didn't hit it. My point was a lot of people may have that stump marked. I fall in the pure ignorance column. I'll run anywhere

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: JavelinJ] #13099353 03/21/19 08:36 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
[Linked Image]

Idle to the boat lanes. I thought I had A good path, used it for 5 days and cut it short last Thursday.

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13099367 03/21/19 08:45 PM
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
[Linked Image]

Idle to the boat lanes. I thought I had A good path, used it for 5 days and cut it short last Thursday.
Ouch! Sorry for that!

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: JavelinJ] #13099369 03/21/19 08:48 PM
D
DNewt Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I idle out of boat lanes at all times, it can test your patience though when it looks to be clear.

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: DNewt] #13099453 03/21/19 10:19 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by DNewt
I idle out of boat lanes at all times, it can test your patience though when it looks to be clear.

Testing your patience is a understatement.

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: JavelinJ] #13099495 03/21/19 11:20 PM
I
IIIMag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
Originally Posted by JavelinJ
Will be going for my first trip to Fork in the next few weeks.

I know the best advice is to get a guide, but none are available.

Give me some advice on safely navigating the lake. I don't want to drag the lower unit off or die.

Was planning on putting in at the minnow bucket.

If your trip is a few wks out you might be able to find a guide if you are willing to work with one who isn't high profile. Ray Vereen posted some open dates on this forum a few days ago. You might also try David Strahan. Fork can be a bear to run and fish if you are unfamiliar. A guide trip will be an invaluable investment in the rest of your trip.

Last edited by IIIMag; 03/21/19 11:22 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13099777 03/22/19 10:40 AM
JavelinJ Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
[Linked Image]

Dang!! Insurance cover that?

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: White Oak Skeeter] #13099904 03/22/19 01:29 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Wonder if this was the extremely large stump that sits on the shallow flat outside of Mud creek?

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: White Oak Skeeter] #13099929 03/22/19 02:02 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Cam down from Tulsa with some guys from Kansas City a couple weeks ago. Last creek we fished for the day was the one just south of the Power plant thing by Williams Creek and we were about to idle back to LFM. Saw a guy running that way so we followed. Luckily for us, he either had a trail or we just got lucky. But we made it back! I was puckered for that little run though.

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: JavelinJ] #13100094 03/22/19 05:07 PM
J
jpetro10 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I just moved to Texas and was planning on heading to Fork, Rayburn, Ray Roberts, basically as many lakes as I can...I'm starting to get the feeling upgrading my console unit so I can buy these boat lane chips is a must, lol. At least it makes for a good excuse!

Again, never been to any of these lakes but I'm assuming you guys are 100% serious when you say, "don't even get on plane on fork" if it's your first time?

Re: Lake Fork Boating [Re: jpetro10] #13100138 03/22/19 06:17 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by jpetro10
I just moved to Texas and was planning on heading to Fork, Rayburn, Ray Roberts, basically as many lakes as I can...I'm starting to get the feeling upgrading my console unit so I can buy these boat lane chips is a must, lol. At least it makes for a good excuse!

Again, never been to any of these lakes but I'm assuming you guys are 100% serious when you say, "don't even get on plane on fork" if it's your first time?

I've ran the lake for twenty years without any boat lane chips. Boat lanes are marked and if your not familiar idle when out of the lanes.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide