Re: fishing without fancy electronics [Re: plk1122] #13079727 03/02/19 03:23 PM
T
Tommy2268 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted by plk1122
Hey Folks,

I've been failing at crappie and did my 1st guide trip yesterday. I learned a whole lot and had a lot of fun. On his boat, the main fish finder had side imaging which was very helpful and we used the ultrex spot lock a lot.

On my boat I have an older fish finder with just basic sonar (it does have a gps chartplotter) and a fortrex TM. Is there anyone that crappie fishes with older electronics who cares to share how they do it?

After I slept on it. I figured with my fish finder I can go back and forth over an area, throw out a buoy when I see something, then circle back around slower and throw out another buoy or 2 to find the more exact location of where they are (they being brush piles)? Then work the area and if I get something, toss a buoy out so I know exactly where to fish?

You don't need fancy equipment, but it does help in being more efficient. Crappie1 has been guiding at Lake Granger since 1986. He still uses traditional 2D sonar without GPS. He finds everything by triangulation.

Re: fishing without fancy electronics [Re: plk1122] #13079932 03/02/19 07:46 PM
Dwight Hardy Offline
Angler
Angler
The classified section on BBC forum is full of used electronics and is very fluid.

With or without electronics spend a lot of time visiting docks,bridge piles, standing timber etc. Those place usually hold crappie most of the year. Th time of the year will have more bearing on the depth those structures are in.

Good luck

Re: fishing without fancy electronics [Re: plk1122] #13080550 03/03/19 03:17 PM
P
plk1122 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
I found someone selling an older helix 7 or 9, something like that. It has the SI/DI and chartplotter/gps stuff. in the 300-400 range which isn't too bad i guess.

Re: fishing without fancy electronics [Re: plk1122] #13080709 03/03/19 05:47 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Well I started fishing with a flasher in my boat, topo maps to pre-plan. You have a GPS and can set way points for good spots, that is a huge help. Back in the day my brother told me to pick a lake and learn it, keep a diary of water temp, water clarity, lake level, weather, etc. Making a brush pile is awesome but in New Mexico it is not allowed. Having buoy/markers is necessary but I would do a lot of searching thus the diary. So welcome to the technology of today, you can actually drive over searching for spots holding fish, eureka ... much better. But I would guess that learning one or two lakes is probably still useful. Also the diary still helps educate you on where the fish are, which leads you to figure out why, that is the difference between fishing and catching I believe.

Good luck!

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: fishing without fancy electronics [Re: plk1122] #13082048 03/04/19 09:46 PM
B
Bud B Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by plk1122
Hey Folks,

I've been failing at crappie and did my 1st guide trip yesterday. I learned a whole lot and had a lot of fun. On his boat, the main fish finder had side imaging which was very helpful and we used the ultrex spot lock a lot.

On my boat I have an older fish finder with just basic sonar (it does have a gps chartplotter) and a fortrex TM. Is there anyone that crappie fishes with older electronics who cares to share how they do it?

After I slept on it. I figured with my fish finder I can go back and forth over an area, throw out a buoy when I see something, then circle back around slower and throw out another buoy or 2 to find the more exact location of where they are (they being brush piles)? Then work the area and if I get something, toss a buoy out so I know exactly where to fish?

You don't have to get as sophisticated as the guides to catch a lot of fish. If you learn a lake well, lots of easy techniques that don't require anything too fancy work well. I watch my front depth finder very closely when I'm fishing rocky dropoffs and wanting to stay near the bottom at a certain depth on the dropoff, but so much of the time I'm fishing docks, bridges, or creeks or canals. It's pretty easy fishing, but works great. It's a safe bet that I don't catch anywhere near as many fish as Chuck Rollins on Cedar Creek, but I do catch a lot, way more than enough to keep me entertained on most trips. And I do it with very few different jigs, and simpler techniques than most.

Bud Baker
Gun Barrel City, Tx

[Linked Image]
Re: fishing without fancy electronics [Re: plk1122] #13088715 03/11/19 04:38 PM
P
plk1122 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
I got my first few crappie (3) solo yesterday (for the first time smile ) using the older electronics i have. The hardest part was trying to stay near the brush pile using the trolling motor without drifting. I'd throw out buoys around me to know where i should keep the boat but it was very hard to stay on the same place. I might suck it up and buy an ultrex.

Re: fishing without fancy electronics [Re: plk1122] #13093057 03/15/19 12:14 PM
F
FireMedic486 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I have a boat with electronics (nothing too fancy) but with the crappie, I wear them out in my kayak regularly with no electronics just fishing everything sticking up out of the water I fish a stick for a minute or so and if nothing bites I move to the next one. I just keep doing that and I do really well. Usually not a problem to get a limit on Grapevine and surrounding creeks that way from my experience. Easier in the boat for sure but I really enjoy the kayak fishing when the weather is nice. Good luck!

Re: fishing without fancy electronics [Re: plk1122] #13093230 03/15/19 03:22 PM
P
plk1122 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Thanks for everyone's help. I need a little brush pile info. I've made 2 brush piles by putting concrete in a bucket and then sticking some older/fresh limbs in them. They look pretty good and i received some positive feedback. I'm splitting the bag of concrete so each bucket weighs about 30lbs, is this too light?. I got 30 lbs based off the weight of a cinder block.

I also am looking at getting an older helix 7 or 9 for the time being (i've seen some go for 300-400) to tide me over. I was able to catch a few with what equipment i have now, so i'm in not as much of a rush as before.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide