Forums59
Topics1,041,191
Posts13,995,236
Members144,250
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: crapyetr] #13091486 03/13/19 09:44 PM
U
UGLYSHCTICK Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
I guess if we're going to blame one artist music for another one we'd have to blame Hank Williams Sr. pretty much all country and rock is derived from his influence.

Just want to make folks smile, and spit coffee on their keyboard.

If you put beans in your chili, you don't know beans about chili.

God doesn't create temporary people, you will spend eternity somewhere. Choose wisely.
Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: crapyetr] #13091495 03/13/19 09:48 PM
elcoyote, esq. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by crapyetr
That the two were sharing a golf cart last year at Eastwoods charity tournament in Pebble Beach, Calif. is both a testament to their friendship and a stroke of good fortune. The encounter led Keith to pen the beautifully haunting song that lingers at the end of The Mule. The Eastwood-directed and starring film, in theaters now, is based on the true story of a WWII veteran in his 80s who takes a job as a courier for a Mexican drug cartel.

Out on the green, Eastwood shared that hed be starting work on The Mule in two days, which also happened to be his 88th birthday. Struck by Eastwoods relentless energy at an age when many are content to sit and reflect, Keith asked how he keeps going.

He said, I just get up every morning and go out. And I dont let the old man in, Keith recounts. And I thought, Im writing that.

What was to become Dont Let the Old Man In transfixed the country singer/songwriter, who had soaked in enough about the film and Eastwoods character to take a stab at a song. People were talking to me and they would say, Did you hear what I just said? And I was like, No, because I wasnt listening to any conversations. I was consumed by Dont Let the Old Man In. I worked so hard on it, Keith says. When I finally sang the line, I thought, its got to be dark, its got to be a ballad and its got to be simple.

In what turned out to be another stroke of serendipity, Keith was under the weather the day he cut his demo.[b] I was sick as a dog that day. I was coughing and sneezing and thinking, this is terrible[/b], he recounts. I gave it the best vocal I could that day, and I sent it off. Its a real raspy, sleepy, tired, sick vocal. I said, Well now youve got a reference, and Ill go back and put a vocal on it for you.

To his surprise, Eastwood called immediately. He said, Ive got a spot in the movie and Im putting it in there. And then Warner Bros. called asking did I read the script before I wrote this song because it fits perfectly.

To his greater surprise, Eastwood didnt want to change a thing. He wanted it sick and tired and dark like that, Keith says.

The songs aesthetic, at once emotionally resigned and quietly triumphant, turned out to be right in tune with that of the film. Its refrain, Many moons Ive lived/my bodys weathered and worn/Ask yourself how old youd be if you didnt know the day you were born? was inspired by another anecdote Keith had been carrying around about the grandmother of his 65-year-old friend who never had a birth certificate and didnt know her age.

I always knew that your slack jawed yokel typing style was just some kind of schtick, and that you were capable of coherent sentences. This just proves it.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: river-rat] #13091515 03/13/19 10:04 PM
S
Sawhorse Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by river-rat
Originally Posted by JayC41
Originally Posted by fouzman
His music is what eventually gave us FGL and Luke Bryan.

No that was Garth Brooks.

Hes most certainly part of it too.

And sells out stadiums across the globe, whos the dummy?

*around

Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #13091522 03/13/19 10:11 PM
S
Sawhorse Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
That the two were sharing a golf cart last year at Eastwoods charity tournament in Pebble Beach, Calif. is both a testament to their friendship and a stroke of good fortune. The encounter led Keith to pen the beautifully haunting song that lingers at the end of The Mule. The Eastwood-directed and starring film, in theaters now, is based on the true story of a WWII veteran in his 80s who takes a job as a courier for a Mexican drug cartel.

Out on the green, Eastwood shared that hed be starting work on The Mule in two days, which also happened to be his 88th birthday. Struck by Eastwoods relentless energy at an age when many are content to sit and reflect, Keith asked how he keeps going.

He said, I just get up every morning and go out. And I dont let the old man in, Keith recounts. And I thought, Im writing that.

What was to become Dont Let the Old Man In transfixed the country singer/songwriter, who had soaked in enough about the film and Eastwoods character to take a stab at a song. People were talking to me and they would say, Did you hear what I just said? And I was like, No, because I wasnt listening to any conversations. I was consumed by Dont Let the Old Man In. I worked so hard on it, Keith says. When I finally sang the line, I thought, its got to be dark, its got to be a ballad and its got to be simple.

In what turned out to be another stroke of serendipity, Keith was under the weather the day he cut his demo.[b] I was sick as a dog that day. I was coughing and sneezing and thinking, this is terrible[/b], he recounts. I gave it the best vocal I could that day, and I sent it off. Its a real raspy, sleepy, tired, sick vocal. I said, Well now youve got a reference, and Ill go back and put a vocal on it for you.

To his surprise, Eastwood called immediately. He said, Ive got a spot in the movie and Im putting it in there. And then Warner Bros. called asking did I read the script before I wrote this song because it fits perfectly.

To his greater surprise, Eastwood didnt want to change a thing. He wanted it sick and tired and dark like that, Keith says.

The songs aesthetic, at once emotionally resigned and quietly triumphant, turned out to be right in tune with that of the film. Its refrain, Many moons Ive lived/my bodys weathered and worn/Ask yourself how old youd be if you didnt know the day you were born? was inspired by another anecdote Keith had been carrying around about the grandmother of his 65-year-old friend who never had a birth certificate and didnt know her age.

I always knew that your slack jawed yokel typing style was just some kind of schtick, and that you were capable of coherent sentences. This just proves it.

I really like seeing folks receive complements. Lets continue with the positivity!

Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #13091606 03/13/19 11:56 PM
C
crapyetr Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.

In what turned out to be another stroke of serendipity, Keith was under the weather the day he cut his demo. I was sick as a dog that day. I was coughing and sneezing and thinking, this is terrible[/b], he recounts. I gave it the best vocal I could that day, and I sent it off. Its a real raspy, sleepy, tired, sick vocal. I said, Well now youve got a reference, and Ill go back and put a vocal on it for you.

huh???...slackjawd yokel...???...u talkin' 'bout my ritin'...???...i copyd this info online and pastidit...don't remind me i wuz valydiktorion of tha '68 class of Crowell Hi Skool

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: crapyetr] #13091623 03/14/19 12:13 AM
river-rat Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Blah blah blah, this guy starts singing multiple hits which creates millions of dollars and your going to say he sucks? What a gd joke

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways it won't work". Thomas Edison
Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: crapyetr] #13091632 03/14/19 12:24 AM
Westside. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I like the red solo song

Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: river-rat] #13091633 03/14/19 12:25 AM
elcoyote, esq. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Blah blah blah, this guy starts singing multiple hits which creates millions of dollars and your going to say he sucks? What a gd joke

He sucks out loud.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: river-rat] #13091635 03/14/19 12:26 AM
S
Sawhorse Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S

Agreed! Abolish the Federal Reserve System...Toby Keith can just sing when our economy needs to increase money supply.

Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: crapyetr] #13091670 03/14/19 01:01 AM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Luke Bryan kicks toby ace all day and every night

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: crapyetr] #13091678 03/14/19 01:07 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
They all come in second to George.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: Frank the Tank] #13091686 03/14/19 01:13 AM
K
Kicker16 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
His music is what eventually gave us FGL and Luke Bryan.

And we are so much better for it. Both are country GOATS!!!

thumb thumb

Re: Toby Keith DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN [Re: crapyetr] #13091691 03/14/19 01:14 AM
C
crapyetr Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
yawl just got plum off the subject of the words of the song...play it again, listen to the words, let the WORDS sink in...not who is singing it...look out the window and smile...be happy God gave you that blessing

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide