Print Thread
Flatheads in and around San Antonio #13052966 02/05/19 01:25 PM
J
jvela Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Went to Choke a few years ago to try and catch a limit of crappie off the bank around March I believe. My usual techniques are jigging and slip bob fishing. I got set up, started to jig, bobber went under on the other rod, I grabbed the rod to set the hook and the drag started screaming! After I tightened a bit I managed to pull in a pretty big flathead. That 10# line was pushed to the limit! I decided to keep it along with the crappie. Got home and fried it up golden brown.......I gotta say that's one of the best fish we've ever had!

Ever since then I've tried and tried to catch this seemingly elusive fish with no luck! I always try to figure out catching techniques on my own but this fish almost seems to not be interested in my approaches. This is why I'm reaching to you guys. Any advice on time of year, time of day, bait, method, locations....etc would be very much appreciated! Im not limited to just bank fishing but I am limited to just a 12' jon boat. I try to avoid heavy traffic on the water or gator infested waters for obvious reasons. Thanks in advance fellas!

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13053788 02/06/19 01:22 AM
J
jvela Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Any takers?

Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13053992 02/06/19 04:25 AM
J
jvela Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
seems like I'm having the same amount of luck here too! roflmao

Last edited by jvela; 02/06/19 04:25 AM.
Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13054050 02/06/19 09:04 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
My apologies, I just got on. About 24 hours ago, I posted some info, as to my Catfish Calendar in the Waxahatchie cartfish thread, concerning Yellows. If you plan to target Yellows, it helps to know their main roam-feed timing. At the first of each year, I start a new thread, and post the links to the previous years, which has a vast trove of information, including YellowCats. Be sure to check out the 2018 thread, as a few shared their results of using the Calendar. Here & there, I have posted several testimonies of those who use it. The Calendar research is focused upon YellowCats, BlueCats & Gator Gars.

Originally, it started with Yellows, as I had two teachers share their YellowCat techniques back in 1979 thru 1980. However, I still rarely ever caught any Yellows. That is, until early 1981 thru early 1982, when I worked fort The Western Company, in oil well cementing. My days off were usually spent running my lines. I had a unique pattern of days off--- 7 on, 2 off, then 7 on, 2 off, finally 7 on, 3 off, and then repeat. Our days Off were different from the Stimulation division. They had Fri/Sat/Sun for theirs. We instead had Sat/Sun/Mon for our 3 days off. It was during this pattern, that all of a sudden, I was catching YellowCats. During that time, my largest during August 1981 was a 28 pounder. In early 1982, after I left, I was in the process of moving from one place to another, then landed a job a few months later, but it was Monday thru Friday, as a mechanic for a concrete plant & lumber yard corporation.

I really had to wonder, since after being taught by Olen & Newt, I rarely caught a Yellow, and the size was about 2 pounders. Then with these days off at Western, perhaps there was some sort of pattern, as I almost caught Yellows consistently, and in volume as well. While they were no giants, something was up for sure.

So, I decided to test my theory out. So I mapped out a plan in late 1982 thry early 1983. I got my Dad's 12 foot 1962 Elgin aluminum flat bottom patched in several spots, added a 1" drain in the rear, and had the main mechanic paint it a metallic medium blue. It was rated for 7.5 HP (but very sturdy), I was able to buy (using my brother-in-law's & sisters Montgomery Ward account) a 15 HP Sea King/Chrysler short shallow, stocky motor with Forward/Neutral/Reverse & a 6 gallon tank. It weighedin at only 47 pounds. I braced the boat in 3 strategic areas to help due to the increase in power ratio. The boat would nearly stand up upon takeoff, but plane out in a second or two. Going along at top speed if the river allows and empty weight, she would cruise at about 25 MPH with almost no ripple for a wake, due to the water not even touching the underside until almost the rear seat.

So I was working on details other than just the calendar theory, for the "research". I decided to test my theory on the Yellows, as well as Blues. You see, I somehow also bumped into a little more erratic schedule concerning Blues. I would "research" the Calendar on the Yellows & Blues for about 3 years, April 1983 thru summer 1986. Being stuck upon just the weekends & some holidays, plus a one week vacation trip for days off, I had to pick my vacation week & one weekend a month for major research trips. And this was done on the Trinity River below Texas 21 (highway), about 25 bends down or so, chosen as the testing area. This was because my father-in-law had access to a "park" there by way of a church friend. I set the tent up below a huge elm tree, and would walk down the drive which ran along beside the river, to where I had. I could step out of the Tent and look upriver.

And so it began. I also used 4 "sigs" in my Calendar. They were YC, BC, BFT, and ZIP. The BFT stood for Buffet, usually assorted variety pak of a catch. ZIP meant either Nada (Nothing), very little, bait may be stripped or not even touched. I also found that Blues also hit on the YC days. THe 4 "sigs" are designated as to which has the strongest pull for that particular day. I chose my August 1983 as to my one week vacation. It had a blend of BC & YC days. I think that Thursday or Wednesday was ZIP. I had decided to do a family fish fry there at camp that late afternoon/evening. My first wife's family was nearby in Madisonville. My Father-in-law came down early Friday to go with me in running the lines upriver. I would tell him where a line was so he could reach underwater & grab it, raise it enough for me to grab it & run it.

Let me explain something, you must always be prepared. If not, well, I was about to find out, as the 5 hook throwline felt as if it had nothing in about 15 feet of water about 5 to 10 feet off the bank tied to the top of a tree (stump that just cleared the water. Since it had no tug, I was zipping along carefree. But IT awoke, on this YC day in August 1983. I was, in a split second or two jerked from the middle of the seat to the edge of the boat side (which stopped me briefly), then my arm was heading down into the water. As it was into the water between elbow & shoulder, I had to make an even faster split second decision to go swimming or let go. Due to the possibility of IT getting me entangled down under & in IT's territory, I let go & managed to get my balance before falling out of the boat or capsizing it. You should have seenm our faces as we realized that was a really big one. This time, braced for IT, he grabbed the line & I cautiously eased on out. But sadly, it had straightened out the hook some & got off. Needless to say, I used the calendar & targeted it on YC days, figuring it was a huge Op (spotted Yellow). On my June 1984 one week vacation, we had the biggest tango with it on a trotline there. We had baited out from IT's side and was about 2/3rds of the way across the river, when IT hit. The main line ran up & down river. Water was boiling where it was at. As we backed up, IT eventually was gone again. But in July 1985, I finally won. At the Madisonville meat locker plant, they brought the scales out to my truck. With the tail dragging, it showed 59# one day after we caught it. The guy there (familiar with his scales), said it should go at least 65+ pounds. I decided to even it at 60# so nobody could say I was adding weight to its actual poundage.

Anyway, from that 1st day, I nicknamed IT "Big 'Un" & the legend began, and finally proved the legend to be true, to those doubters. I stayed after it, figuring it to be a big Yellow. That was the initial research stage on the River, but had initially in 1982, used also on the Brazos & Navasota Rivers off of (near) TX 21 bridges, to which I was finding a pattern on the Blues. In 1983 thru 1986, I also realized that Gator Gars (GG) also use the same roam-feed days (pattern) as to Yellows. Due to life, divorce, and then some, it was not until mid 2002 that I was able to get started on Phase 2 of the research on lakes. I was allowed to use my cousin's late husband's boat, motor & trailer- 14' wide MonArk flat bottom w/ 25 HP Evinrude. I had to wonder, if it worked in rivers, would it work on lakes? It did. Largest Op there has been a 57#. However, another curveball with the heart and extremely high blood pressure in late 2011/early 2012 curtailed the pursuit of "The Giant". Yep, another very Big One. Two of my first prize calendar & YC students first lost this one, and we have yet to catch it. I estimated it to be over 100#, maybe just over the current record Yellow out of Lake Livingston (113# or 115#), unless somebody has bumped it recently. However, after last year's encounter on Cinco de Mayo (2018), I may have to realize that "The Giant" is bigger than expected, nmaybe in the range of 115# to 150#. There has been several 62 pounders, as well as an 80 pounder from that area caught since I started there in 2002. Nancy at Running Branch told several of us about the monster caught by a little old man, that was culed in the back of his little pickup. She had never seen any Yellow that huge. That was earlier in 2002. Not sure if he caught it in the same area, but I think he may have. I hope to finally bag "The Giant", as I am currently mapping all of the details as to how. I can't get the 14' running in time this spring, so I will have to set up the new December 2017 Alumacraft 12' flat bottom, to keep from getting rolled over. "The Giant" moves like a Tractor in 1st gear, never yielding. Unless riled up, then it usually just rips free of the hook. Except on May 5th last year, it actally snapped my size 36 green braided leader off just above the hook, while I had hold of the main line over top of it. Look back at "The Giant" thread for more details. I already know the timing, due to my Catfish Calendar & the PYC days as well.

Here is the info I shared on the TFF in the other thread, once again ...

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13054051 02/06/19 09:23 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Hmm, it seems there is a traffic jam on the Net Highway. I will have to try later to find my "The Giant" thread URL. And my attempt to post the info I mentioned from 1 day ago, also seems to have gotten lost on the Net highway. So trying once again.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
my Post #1326-
on the Waxahatchie Catfish thread (2:45 AM 2-5-19 Tues.)

You might also try my Lynn's Catfish Calendar, as to Blues, Yellows, and Gator Gars. As to Yellows, actually I give three main angles of times, also insights, to target them.

1st is by way of one of the 4 sigs used in my Calendar, which is YC and stands for YellowCat. My Calendar uses 4 sigs which signify which has the strongest pull (influence) for that particular day.

2nd is by a few extra insights over the years gained (ongoing research) by me, plus two of my prize YC & Calendar students (Jeff & James). These tips are listed in what I refer to as the KEY.

3rd is by way of what I refer to as my PYC days, which stands for my Personal YellowCat Days. What this is, is the actual rhythm (ingrained pattern/instinct) that Yellows follow. The Catfish Calendar follows for the most part of this pattern, but can vary. The PYC focuses on what I have come to refer to, as this actual roam-feed nature infused pattern that the majority of Yellows & Gator Gars run by. This pattern always runs in the background. The Calendar just happens to pick up on the pattern very much.

And a bonus 4th, is that knowing the Calendar days or PYC days don't actually shut the gate, for example, run from Midnight to Midnight, but can have bleedover, which can be used to maximize or capitalize on the above 3. Bleedover can run as much as 12 hours earlier to 12 hours later. Using BC (BlueCat) days for example, say I planned a trip for a weekend starng on Friday, going into Sunday. BC days being Fri & Sun, but ZIP (Nada or very little) on Saturday, can be utilized hoping there will be Bleedover into Saturday AM, as well as Bleedover picking back Saturday PM. I have many students, be it set-liners (trotline, throwline, jugline, set hooks) or R-n-Rers (Rod-n-Reelers) that utilize the calendar from their mode of fishing. When they relay me info or ther experience & catches & notes, it benefits to more understanding of the Calendar & related research, which I eventually integrate it & share, from time to time.

I have some R-n-Rers & set-liners that target Yellows only by way of the specific days of the Calendar and/or the PYC days, but also understanding the tips in the KEY, as well as taking advantage of certain additional research discovered items, such as Bleedover, to maximize their volume. In other words, some have shared that they do not waste their time targeting Yellows at other times, anymore.

I did not pursue researching ChannelCats (CC), WhiteCats (WC), or MudCats (MC) also known as Bullheads. It started as YellowCat research, but BlueCat findings somehow came in the midst of that, as well as realizing that Gator Gars (GG) also run the same pattern as to Yellows, but the clock runs a few hours earlier (ahead) as to the Yellows. I have a few who use it towards Gator Gars and have really excelled in consistency, volume, and really big ones. The majority of Gator Gars follow the Calendar, as well as the PYC days.

However, from my experiences, I do tend to catch a lot of Channels on the BFT (Buffet or assorted variety) days.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13054751 02/06/19 11:10 PM
P
polishpreacher Offline
Angler
Angler
P
For myself, i have always targeted yellows with set lines. Limb lines, throw lines, trotlines. Always use live bait such as a perch. Also, do not be scared to use a large bait as if you are fishing a large body of water such as Choke, you have the potential to catch a monster on any hook and a yellow cat will eat anything that fits into its mouth. There was actually a photo taken at one point of a yellow cat that had tried to eat and entire basketball and was bobbing around in the lake until someone found him and popped the basketball and let him go. They do like carp as well, just as long as it is alive, they will try to eat it. I always look for structure that they can hide in when i set the lines. Another good way to find a spot is to find still water or a change in depth as often times they come into shallower water in the evenings/night to hunt for small(ish) fish. I have caught some of my best fish in waist to chest deep water, but that was in creek and river systems rather than in large lakes. My family that fishes Choke Canyon usually sets jug lines, which are 3-5 hook lines that have a very large jug as a bobber and a weight to hold it in place. They usually set their jugs around the main stream in Choke. Also, if you are setting lines anywhere, remember that you will need to tag them with your name, date line is set and i believe licence number. I am not sure if it needs a phone number or not. Easiest way to make a tag is to cut up a 2 liter bottle and use a sharpie to put your info, then poke a hole in the plastic and tie it to the line at the first hook and at the last hook.

Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13054861 02/07/19 12:50 AM
J
jvela Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Thank you Mr Catfish, I'll look up your calendar and sync with your YC, PYC, and BFT days including bleedove slot times. Amazing experiences you've had sir! As for myself I just picked up a nice wide 16' jon boat with a 50hp johnson. Can't wait to fix her up and get her on the water!
Thanks Mr Preacher, that sounds like something im gonna try for sure! I've got plenty of trot line to set up. Nice info for bait and tagging the line for sure!
I'll keep you guys posted to see what happens!
Sure wish my pops was still with me. He woulda loved this.

Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13054878 02/07/19 01:02 AM
J
jvela Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Calendar for Feb set!

Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13055442 02/07/19 04:00 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by jvela
Went to Choke a few years ago to try and catch a limit of crappie off the bank around March I believe. My usual techniques are jigging and slip bob fishing. I got set up, started to jig, bobber went under on the other rod, I grabbed the rod to set the hook and the drag started screaming! After I tightened a bit I managed to pull in a pretty big flathead. That 10# line was pushed to the limit! I decided to keep it along with the crappie. Got home and fried it up golden brown.......I gotta say that's one of the best fish we've ever had!

Ever since then I've tried and tried to catch this seemingly elusive fish with no luck! I always try to figure out catching techniques on my own but this fish almost seems to not be interested in my approaches. This is why I'm reaching to you guys. Any advice on time of year, time of day, bait, method, locations....etc would be very much appreciated! Im not limited to just bank fishing but I am limited to just a 12' jon boat. I try to avoid heavy traffic on the water or gator infested waters for obvious reasons. Thanks in advance fellas!

My biggest flatheads were caught out of the San Antonio river years ago just outside of Floresville using live bait. I was bank fishing. Biggest was 22 lbs.

Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13055676 02/07/19 07:43 PM
J
jvela Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Dang!! 22#er! That's a nice one indeed! There are places to fish the river in Floresville? Although I'm from SA myself I've never really fished the river aside from just tossing a few plastics for bass at Brackenridge by the golf course.

Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13055704 02/07/19 08:06 PM
P
polishpreacher Offline
Angler
Angler
P
The rivers would be accessible pretty much anywhere a bridge crosses them. You would not be able to put in a bit boat, maybe a kayak or flatbottom boat with a trolling motor as sometimes the depth varies pretty wildly at times. I have always just waded when fishing the rivers. Usually if you find water deeper than you can stand if you go towards the bank you should be able to find footing or if you swim usually those deep spots dont last more than 100 yrds at most i have found. Downed brush or spots where rapids develop near deep holes would be optimum locations to string lines. I get a bit lazy and usually attach a bottle to the middle of the line with a piece of string to work as a make shift bobber to give me an idea if there is something on the line or not. If you are setting in an area that is fairly deep, say over 7 feet, then you might consider tying a weight of some sort to the center to drop the line down deeper into the water as another option. Just remember that usually major rivers are state ride-away and therefore you can put in under a bridge and walk up or down stream without trespassing for the most part. Some also have an extension into the flood plane that can be used as land if i need to come a shore without trespassing as well. Exceptions would be creeks that regularly go dry i think do not have the exemption of being state property. I hunt alongside the Hondo Creek and from what i have been told, the whole creek is included in the land owners private property, but with the San Antonio River or the Cibolo Creek you should be fine. You will encounter cats much bigger than 22#'s in the SA River if you fish it right. I have caught my biggest in the SA river outside of Falls City that was nearly 40 pounds. In the Cibolo, my biggest has been upper 20's to low 30's. You will also encounter some of the prettier varieties of them such as an Appaloosa Yellow Cat which actually takes on a bluish color instead and is a beautiful fish. I often let those go just to make sure i have the possibility of catching one like that again.

Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13056216 02/08/19 04:03 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I finally had time to look back in my posts on TFF, here is the link (URL aka Web-dress) on "The Giant" I spoke of.

<https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12855967/>

Catfish Tales/Tails: "The Giant"

I started the thread on 07/31/18 04:57 AM
TFF #12847797

Looking back in my archives, it was one night in April 2009 that Jeff (father) & James (son) went to run their trotline, and even though they lost it, James S. has been the only one to see its head, and its tail as it waved Bye-Bye.

Looking at this write-up tucked in my catfishing archives, it looks like I wrote it in 2011 before the great drought, which dropped Lake Limestone 10 feet. It was only 7 to 10 feet deep in the 2 areas where I have encountered "The Giant". So it moved out, but as of May 5, 2018 IT has definitely returned & is well alive.

I might add a word of caution here. One lady told everyone at Running Branch she will not swinm in the lake since she has seen some of the Cats I have pulled in. The caution being is that a YellowCat is in their domain in the depths of the water, so be sure & wear your lifejacket. Next is that if a Yellow senses problems, and they really don't like being brought to the surface. Their instinct is to dive hard and either get under a log, or burrow into the mud becoming like a suction cup. And the power they exhibit when diving, is unbelievable. You never know when you may have a monster on your line, so take precautions. And always be alert.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Flatheads in and around San Antonio [Re: jvela] #13056350 02/08/19 01:26 PM
J
jvela Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Great advice guys! And thank you again. Already got plans for setting lines according to your experiences.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide