Forums59
Topics1,039,368
Posts13,963,446
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13040335 01/24/19 01:55 PM
I
ifishlbj Offline
Angler
Angler
I
The 502 size is the best all round size that I throw. I have to use split shot with the 500 size but not with the 502. Occasionally I throw the 014 size on a little larger rod and reel. They all work but I prefer the 502 on 4 lb test and no extra weight. I might get to fish at Shirley McDonald soon, but I will probably have to use bait. She really got beat up for the derby last Monday but fish are still rising. Banker, you think I should try earthworms or that stinky stuff in the jar?

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13040570 01/24/19 05:11 PM
T
Texdan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Thanks guys, I have a couple 502's in my tackle box so will give them a try. Don't think I'm going tomorrow with that high flow rate, doubt it the lure will sink much. Also wondering if that fast current just sends the trout downriver when they are released at the dam.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13040578 01/24/19 05:16 PM
T
Texdan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Texdan: I have always used the 1 1/4" with a light split shot about six to eight inches above the lure. I have had great results over the years using the GSD. I was at the Llano River Stocking yesterday and did not get one single bite using the GSD. I had to switch to the Berkley Cheese Colored Trout Bait and I limited out in 30 minutes. As for fishing the Guadalupe River. This had been the fastest current I have ever fished in during the stocking season. The let out today is 1270 CFS at Canyon Dam. Very few anglers have gotten limits this season off of the Guadalupe River because of extreme current. 1200 CFS would make it almost impossible to fish not to mention the safety issues. As a result of the "HIGH WATER LET OUT" on the Guadalupe River I have only fished the Guadalupe River twice this stocking season for Rainbow Trout. Both times did not get one fish. I have been fishing other water bodies where stockings have taken place and have gotten GREAT RESULTS at everyone of them. thumb

Actually I have seen quite a few limits (me included) at the dam the 2 times I have gone. Takes a while but can be done. Sometimes I switch to the silver Super Duper and get a few too. However I haven't seen one fish caught before the morning trout dump. So where have you been fishing? I was gonna try Blanco and Guadalupe State parks but went to the dam instead.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: Texdan] #13047459 01/31/19 03:58 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content OP
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by Texdan
Texdan: I have always used the 1 1/4" with a light split shot about six to eight inches above the lure. I have had great results over the years using the GSD. I was at the Llano River Stocking yesterday and did not get one single bite using the GSD. I had to switch to the Berkley Cheese Colored Trout Bait and I limited out in 30 minutes. As for fishing the Guadalupe River. This had been the fastest current I have ever fished in during the stocking season. The let out today is 1270 CFS at Canyon Dam. Very few anglers have gotten limits this season off of the Guadalupe River because of extreme current. 1200 CFS would make it almost impossible to fish not to mention the safety issues. As a result of the "HIGH WATER LET OUT" on the Guadalupe River I have only fished the Guadalupe River twice this stocking season for Rainbow Trout. Both times did not get one fish. I have been fishing other water bodies where stockings have taken place and have gotten GREAT RESULTS at everyone of them. thumb

Actually I have seen quite a few limits (me included) at the dam the 2 times I have gone. Takes a while but can be done. Sometimes I switch to the silver Super Duper and get a few too. However I haven't seen one fish caught before the morning trout dump. So where have you been fishing? I was gonna try Blanco and Guadalupe State parks but went to the dam instead.

You were one of the lucky ones. Anglers and friends of mine have told be that this by far has been one of the most difficult trout seasons to fish the Guadalupe River. Like stated there have been limits gotten on the Guadalupe,but not as many as years past. The sad news is that all of the left over trout will end up dying off once spring time and warmer temperatures arrive. The only lucky trout will be the ones stocked at the Trail Race below Canyon Dam. They have a slight chance to survive. Water in that area can support trout year around.
thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13047677 01/31/19 02:44 PM
T
Texdan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by Texdan

You were one of the lucky ones. Anglers and friends of mine have told be that this by far has been one of the most difficult trout seasons to fish the Guadalupe River. Like stated there have been limits gotten on the Guadalupe,but not as many as years past. The sad news is that all of the left over trout will end up dying off once spring time and warmer temperatures arrive. The only lucky trout will be the ones stocked at the Trail Race below Canyon Dam. They have a slight chance to survive. Water in that area can support trout year around.
thumb

This is my first year fishing trout so that's encouraging for future years! I didn't know that the trout die off, I always heard they could survive in the Guadalupe due to the cold water. So does the river get warmer downstream?

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13047687 01/31/19 03:00 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
The river gets warmer past Mountain Breeze/White Water Rapids. Trout have a chance to survive from there back to the Trail Race at Canyon Lake. Cold bottom lake water from Canyon Lake along with the countless cold springs on the Guadalupe give the trout a chance for survival. Trout that have been stocked below these areas will all die off once it gets warmer.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13047770 01/31/19 04:09 PM
C
Catyakker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
"Trout that have been stocked below these areas will all die off once it gets warmer."
I always thought the same, until Banker got me looking at Water Body Records...and low and behold Dunlap and Lake Placid both have Rainbow Trout Records. hmmm

Retired AF Security Police Chief
TPWD ELITE ANGLER
Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13048351 02/01/19 01:04 AM
butch sanders Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
really nice

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13052899 02/05/19 11:10 AM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Thanks Butch Sanders for the reply! cheers Some pretty good trout information above! thumb

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13058438 02/10/19 03:20 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Chuck you guys have had one heck of a trout stocking season. Looks like the stocking season is coming to an end soon. Is there any time of the day that the trout bite is better? Also does weather conditions play any factor in the trout bite? Again nice post and fish. Good job.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13063658 02/15/19 11:22 AM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Thanks Gitter for the reply. cheers It's been a very good trout stocking season. partyon The best time of day for me catching trout was in the morning between 7am and 11am. Overcast conditions were best. I fished a lot of very clear water and if it was cloudy,the fish seemed not to be spooked as much.Also I fished a couple of days when the wind was super strong. This made it difficult to cast fighting the wind. Could have cast with the wind but moving would have taken me away from the fish. Other than that I do not think weather conditions play much of a factor catching stock trout. thumb

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13064708 02/16/19 03:11 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Thanks Chuck. Judging by your post you and your friends have had a pretty good trout season!

Side Note: Will not be long until the sunfish start getting active.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13067250 02/19/19 05:39 AM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Yes Sir we had a great season. The fun continues as the sunnies start getting active. hooked

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13068678 02/20/19 02:23 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Can't wait till the FUN begins! woot

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! [Re: banker-always fishing] #13073404 02/24/19 04:42 PM
B
BearfootGypsie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Any luck within Guadalupe River State Park for trout this winter?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide