Texas Fishing Forum

Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 12/22/18 06:42 PM

Late fall fishing has been "AWESOME"! With great weather (exception of a couple of VERY WINDY days),fish have been active and hungry I fished several super good Rainbow Trout stockings on the Medina River,Blanco River,and Bradfield Pond. Caught limits each time out, both on the day and days after the stockings had taken place.My friend Steve fished some the stockings with me. Trout were all caught on Gold Super Duper Lures and the Berkley Trout Bait-Cheese colored. These fish are a blast to catch on ultralight tackle and are also super good eating. I was also able to catch some nice sunnies fishing Lake Dunlap. Sunnies caught on worms by docks in 4 to 10 feet of water.Getting in on some super late fall action. It just don't get any better! fish

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flags

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 12/22/18 10:48 PM

Sweet! Looks like a good time on the water. Did a little troutin' myself today.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 12/23/18 12:33 AM

Thanks Flags for the reply! Love those Rainbow Trout! thumb
Posted By: pop r

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 12/23/18 12:08 PM

thumb Well done banker!
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 12/23/18 02:25 PM

Banker...If that bloody / cracked ice chest could talk...oh, the stories it could tell smile

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 12/23/18 04:01 PM

Thanks pop r and Vogey for the replies. cheers Vogey: Yes Sir there have been many of fish placed in those coolers over the years. Good times and some good eating! thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 12/31/18 01:06 PM

Great fishing and eating right there Chuck. Good job. woot The Guadalupe River is loaded with Rainbow Trout. While fishing for trout have you caught any other types of fish? hmmm

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/09/19 12:37 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers Mainly trout. I did catch a small Guadalupe Bass while fishing for trout on the Blanco River. Got him on a Gold Super Duper! hooked

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/13/19 02:48 PM

Thanks Chuck for the reply. I have caught a lot of the sunfish this trout season while fishing for the Rainbows. I guess I use a wide variety baits mainly lures and flies which both fish like. Are you mainly using the Super Duper and trout bait while fishing for trout?

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/21/19 11:06 AM

It's has been the Gold Super Duper and the Berkley Trout Bait-Cheese Colored for the last several years! hooked
Posted By: ifishlbj

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/21/19 02:10 PM

Every single rainbow trout I have caught this season has been on a number 502 gold SDL! SDL lures are an important part of the equation but just part of it. Ultra light spinning tackle and very light line helps greatly. I use 4 pound test Stren clear blue mono line. What does that guy on TV say??...You can't catch em if you don't go. Great fishing to all you guys and thanks for all the great reports and pictures Banker-always fishing!
Posted By: jagg

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/22/19 07:34 AM

Definitely in the middle of the trout/super duper season! Good on ya, Banker! cheers
Posted By: Texdan

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/23/19 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ifishlbj
Every single rainbow trout I have caught this season has been on a number 502 gold SDL! SDL lures are an important part of the equation but just part of it. Ultra light spinning tackle and very light line helps greatly. I use 4 pound test Stren clear blue mono line. What does that guy on TV say??...You can't catch em if you don't go. Great fishing to all you guys and thanks for all the great reports and pictures Banker-always fishing!

Do you think the size of the GSD matters? I have mainly used the smaller ones with some degree of luck, never tried the 502 size. You know the saying 'Size matters'? :-)

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/23/19 06:14 PM

So I'm thinking the trout stocking this Friday below Canyon dam will not be good since the flow was increased to 1200+ yesterday? Anyone ever fished it at that flow? Max has been 800 or so this year.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/23/19 06:33 PM

Texdan: I have always used the 1 1/4" with a light split shot about six to eight inches above the lure. I have had great results over the years using the GSD. I was at the Llano River Stocking yesterday and did not get one single bite using the GSD. I had to switch to the Berkley Cheese Colored Trout Bait and I limited out in 30 minutes. As for fishing the Guadalupe River. This had been the fastest current I have ever fished in during the stocking season. The let out today is 1270 CFS at Canyon Dam. Very few anglers have gotten limits this season off of the Guadalupe River because of extreme current. 1200 CFS would make it almost impossible to fish not to mention the safety issues. As a result of the "HIGH WATER LET OUT" on the Guadalupe River I have only fished the Guadalupe River twice this stocking season for Rainbow Trout. Both times did not get one fish. I have been fishing other water bodies where stockings have taken place and have gotten GREAT RESULTS at everyone of them. thumb
Posted By: ifishlbj

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/24/19 01:55 PM

The 502 size is the best all round size that I throw. I have to use split shot with the 500 size but not with the 502. Occasionally I throw the 014 size on a little larger rod and reel. They all work but I prefer the 502 on 4 lb test and no extra weight. I might get to fish at Shirley McDonald soon, but I will probably have to use bait. She really got beat up for the derby last Monday but fish are still rising. Banker, you think I should try earthworms or that stinky stuff in the jar?

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/24/19 05:11 PM

Thanks guys, I have a couple 502's in my tackle box so will give them a try. Don't think I'm going tomorrow with that high flow rate, doubt it the lure will sink much. Also wondering if that fast current just sends the trout downriver when they are released at the dam.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/24/19 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Texdan: I have always used the 1 1/4" with a light split shot about six to eight inches above the lure. I have had great results over the years using the GSD. I was at the Llano River Stocking yesterday and did not get one single bite using the GSD. I had to switch to the Berkley Cheese Colored Trout Bait and I limited out in 30 minutes. As for fishing the Guadalupe River. This had been the fastest current I have ever fished in during the stocking season. The let out today is 1270 CFS at Canyon Dam. Very few anglers have gotten limits this season off of the Guadalupe River because of extreme current. 1200 CFS would make it almost impossible to fish not to mention the safety issues. As a result of the "HIGH WATER LET OUT" on the Guadalupe River I have only fished the Guadalupe River twice this stocking season for Rainbow Trout. Both times did not get one fish. I have been fishing other water bodies where stockings have taken place and have gotten GREAT RESULTS at everyone of them. thumb

Actually I have seen quite a few limits (me included) at the dam the 2 times I have gone. Takes a while but can be done. Sometimes I switch to the silver Super Duper and get a few too. However I haven't seen one fish caught before the morning trout dump. So where have you been fishing? I was gonna try Blanco and Guadalupe State parks but went to the dam instead.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/31/19 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Texdan

Actually I have seen quite a few limits (me included) at the dam the 2 times I have gone. Takes a while but can be done. Sometimes I switch to the silver Super Duper and get a few too. However I haven't seen one fish caught before the morning trout dump. So where have you been fishing? I was gonna try Blanco and Guadalupe State parks but went to the dam instead.

You were one of the lucky ones. Anglers and friends of mine have told be that this by far has been one of the most difficult trout seasons to fish the Guadalupe River. Like stated there have been limits gotten on the Guadalupe,but not as many as years past. The sad news is that all of the left over trout will end up dying off once spring time and warmer temperatures arrive. The only lucky trout will be the ones stocked at the Trail Race below Canyon Dam. They have a slight chance to survive. Water in that area can support trout year around.
thumb

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/31/19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Texdan

You were one of the lucky ones. Anglers and friends of mine have told be that this by far has been one of the most difficult trout seasons to fish the Guadalupe River. Like stated there have been limits gotten on the Guadalupe,but not as many as years past. The sad news is that all of the left over trout will end up dying off once spring time and warmer temperatures arrive. The only lucky trout will be the ones stocked at the Trail Race below Canyon Dam. They have a slight chance to survive. Water in that area can support trout year around.
thumb

This is my first year fishing trout so that's encouraging for future years! I didn't know that the trout die off, I always heard they could survive in the Guadalupe due to the cold water. So does the river get warmer downstream?

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/31/19 03:00 PM

The river gets warmer past Mountain Breeze/White Water Rapids. Trout have a chance to survive from there back to the Trail Race at Canyon Lake. Cold bottom lake water from Canyon Lake along with the countless cold springs on the Guadalupe give the trout a chance for survival. Trout that have been stocked below these areas will all die off once it gets warmer.
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 01/31/19 04:09 PM

"Trout that have been stocked below these areas will all die off once it gets warmer."
I always thought the same, until Banker got me looking at Water Body Records...and low and behold Dunlap and Lake Placid both have Rainbow Trout Records. hmmm
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 02/01/19 01:04 AM

really nice

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 02/05/19 11:10 AM

Thanks Butch Sanders for the reply! cheers Some pretty good trout information above! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 02/10/19 03:20 PM

Chuck you guys have had one heck of a trout stocking season. Looks like the stocking season is coming to an end soon. Is there any time of the day that the trout bite is better? Also does weather conditions play any factor in the trout bite? Again nice post and fish. Good job.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 02/15/19 11:22 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply. cheers It's been a very good trout stocking season. partyon The best time of day for me catching trout was in the morning between 7am and 11am. Overcast conditions were best. I fished a lot of very clear water and if it was cloudy,the fish seemed not to be spooked as much.Also I fished a couple of days when the wind was super strong. This made it difficult to cast fighting the wind. Could have cast with the wind but moving would have taken me away from the fish. Other than that I do not think weather conditions play much of a factor catching stock trout. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 02/16/19 03:11 PM

Thanks Chuck. Judging by your post you and your friends have had a pretty good trout season!

Side Note: Will not be long until the sunfish start getting active.

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 02/19/19 05:39 AM

Yes Sir we had a great season. The fun continues as the sunnies start getting active. hooked

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 02/20/19 02:23 PM

Can't wait till the FUN begins! woot
Posted By: BearfootGypsie

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 02/24/19 04:42 PM

Any luck within Guadalupe River State Park for trout this winter?

Re: Limits and More Limits ! Trout&Sunnies! - 02/25/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by BearfootGypsie
Any luck within Guadalupe River State Park for trout this winter?

I did not fish the Guadalupe State Park Stocking this year. For what I have heard it was a good one with plenty of fish being caught. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum