Forums59
Topics1,039,790
Posts13,970,339
Members144,217
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: jcarring99] #12991918 12/11/18 03:47 AM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jcarring99
This thread is unbelievable. Seriously you want to limit the number of kids who participate in tourneys and somehow equate it to football, basketball, baseball etc? Not even in the same ball park. Not to mention arent you trying to grow the sport? Preventing them from fishing will sure help with that. You have a guy who fishes and runs a few tourneys and all of the sudden hes an expert on high school bass tourneys. Then you have a coach of all people who equates his girls basketball team to this. Laughable to both. THSBA does a fantastic job of running tourneys and doing the best they can to make things the best they can for the kids. Instead of celebrating and embracing the growth of bass fishing in the high school ranks some of you geniuses want to limit it and discourage the growth. Unreal.

I think this post is unbelievable. These are high school kids and the overall goal should be the same as any other high school sport. Among other things, participation in these events should encourage sportsmanship, dedication, discipline, and the proper way to conduct yourself on the water. Most of these kids appear to be learning none of these things based on my conversations with HS captains and my observations on the water

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: 04champ] #12992056 12/11/18 12:45 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by 04champ
Originally Posted by coachallentca
I have captained also. yes parents are NOT involved. Give me a break. That is why I had two kids that did not have a boat but wanted to fish. It is also why I did not captain this year. We had 5 captains from our bass club because their parents don't own a boat. 80 % of our kids from the school we captained the parents were not involved. I know of kids right now that are not fishing because NO boat captain.These kids parents could care less about what they do. Insurance and liability will not enough should something bad happen. The east is probably the smallest field they have. Go figure.. Fishing a no boater their a lot less cost than owning a boat and if you think other wise than you are clueless. You give $40 to the boat captain to be a guide for you. I know Tim a little bit ( don't know if he is still the president or not) and I think he has done a great job of managing it. The problem is the grew to fast. Insurance and liability. I could tell you my story on it but it would take up an either page.

I can't even understand this post

roflmao

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: jcarring99] #12992059 12/11/18 12:51 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
By the way no football coach has ever cut a kid. That happens in other sports. I coached football and other sports in a public setting so maybe thats where the disconnect is.

You are wrong on that. That is a stupid statement. Sure football coaches have cut players who have come out. You must have coached for the YMCA since everyone gets to play,.

You never answered the question....Have you been a boat captain? I did not think so. Step up and be a boat captain.

Youre an idiot. Lets see I coached at Humble, North Shore, La Grange, South Grand Prairie, Duncanville, and Crowley and never ever once at any of those state championship winning schools did I ever observe, take part in or hear of a football player being cut nor at any other school that I coached against. That must be some privileged private school carp that cuts kids in football. You having ran a few clinics and what not doesnt impress me. Good try though.

I played for Lewisville back in the mid/late 80s. We won a championship or two. (Go Farmers!). I can tell you
Nobody was ever cut. They just never played. Lol.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12992085 12/11/18 01:25 PM
BriannShell Offline
Extremely Happy Angler
Extremely Happy Angler
I bet I could throw a football over those mountains!

Sorry, thought we needed a little break for a poor attempt at comedy!

Carry on with the whip

Lions do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12992109 12/11/18 01:54 PM
R
Rob W. Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
R
popcorn2

[Linked Image]
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12992169 12/11/18 02:43 PM
1442 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
nothing wrong with HS fishing tournaments the way they are as far as I'm concerned. The way it has grown into what it is, is amazing really and a lot af credit is due to those who have worked to get it to where it is as well as they have.

I think it's a GREAT thing and I'm very glad to have been able to participate as a captain and work at the weigh ins in some SETX tournaments.
I hope it grows even bigger than it is now.

You may as well donate some time, effort and money into some of the youth fishing now so you can at least enjoy it and be a part of something special, because it wont be long before some of these kids are TAKING the money you donate to them as entry fees.
Most tournament fishermen are donators anyway so it should come natural and not be no big deal.

RIGHT!

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12992170 12/11/18 02:45 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
By the way no football coach has ever cut a kid. That happens in other sports. I coached football and other sports in a public setting so maybe thats where the disconnect is.

You are wrong on that. That is a stupid statement. Sure football coaches have cut players who have come out. You must have coached for the YMCA since everyone gets to play,.

You never answered the question....Have you been a boat captain? I did not think so. Step up and be a boat captain.

Youre an idiot. Lets see I coached at Humble, North Shore, La Grange, South Grand Prairie, Duncanville, and Crowley and never ever once at any of those state championship winning schools did I ever observe, take part in or hear of a football player being cut nor at any other school that I coached against. That must be some privileged private school carp that cuts kids in football. You having ran a few clinics and what not doesnt impress me. Good try though.

I played for Lewisville back in the mid/late 80s. We won a championship or two. (Go Farmers!). I can tell you
Nobody was ever cut. They just never played. Lol.

People were cut when i played, but it was always for off field issues / non football related stuff. But rarely are people cut because they have to have replacements for the scout teams since #1 and #1 defense always runs them over roflmao

John Miller
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12992185 12/11/18 03:09 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
[quote=Douglas J] [Linked Image]What happened to the discussion about the upside down little rowboat that reportedly was involved in a high school tournament? laugh cry

Last edited by 361V; 12/11/18 03:12 PM.
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12992193 12/11/18 03:17 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by buda13
Originally Posted by GetTheNet69
Originally Posted by Josh Seale
Originally Posted by Razorback
[quote=buda13]
As previously stated... each school should have their own qualifiers and only send "X" number of competitors to the tournaments based on either school size or number of participants. How many High School sports teams allow every single person that signs up to play in the games? NONE! The best fishermen/women get to go represent the school in competition, the rest are simply part of the program working to improve in hopes of making "The Team".

This seems so obvious. On every team on which I played there were guys who sat the bench. Some of them never played at all, or maybe got in for a play or two just because the coach wanted to let them participate. In high school fishing not only does everyone get to participate, they are all "starters".

Who made you an expert on fishing and who should or shouldn't compete? There are guys on all levels of bass fishing who are in way over their head. What does it matter? I think this thread exposes the fisherman's ego as much as I have seen. Hate to be one to say this, but none of us are as good as we think we are, and nobody is impressed with your $128 workingman's tournament win. Embarrassing to see a bunch of grown wannabe's talk about high school kids. The issue isn't the kid, it's all the guys out there they see playing "dress up" in the fishing industry. Most of which have no business in a boat. See what I did there?

Ok tough guy. I fish 2-3 days a week year round, somewhere north of 35 tournaments a year, organize and run 26 tournaments a year. Was on the water both Saturday and Sunday last weekend. I know what Im talking about, come see me when youve actually organized, directed, and fished half as many as I have. In this case your the key board warrior.
Limiting the size of the field is a very logical thought, not because Im predicting the worst but because I fear the worst. Qualifiers could determine the people that get to fish the actual big tournaments, the anglers finishes would determine if they get to move on not a decision made by an individual. Your thought process its whats wrong with our country and why todays youth cant handle loss or being told no. Let em all fish... we cant hurt anyones feelings...Heck give them all a participation trophy while your at it.

I am not impressed. I guarantee I have fished well over half the amount of tournaments you fished, and I am assuming have probably faired better (but that is only an assumption). I still stand behind what I say. How do we expect the kids the learn when the ones captaining them aren't teaching them? I fish champs. and media, as well as the college FLW when I was in school and the issue starts from the top. Hate to tell you. Way too many of you guys (and yes I said YOU guys) think because you own a $70k boat, you're somebody, therefore you act like it. These kids see that, and naturally they follow suit. You wan't to have a qualifier for HS tournament? Go for it, I don't care. But maybe take a look in the mirror as to why some of these kids act the way they do. Also, we shouldn't be discouraging participation either. Just my opinion. Have fun being a career club guy winning $243 a year.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12992247 12/11/18 04:16 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I captained for 4 years. I would have loved to have been able to cut a couple of kids. Turned every bait I had into a helicopter lure. I can still drive by some highline wires 4 years later and see my best buzzbaits.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12992280 12/11/18 04:47 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
THSBA has done a very good job overall and they have made changes due to the divisions growing so much. Houston division had two tournaments moved to Sam Rayburn due to Somerville and Lake Houston being too small with this years growth. I can tell you as a club advisor I havent always agreed 100% with everything the THSBA has done and recently had a conversation/disagreement regarding one of our club members that I kicked out of our club. But, its their tournament series and I respect what they do and if anyone doesnt like it start your own series or fish another series. I think they have done a great job overall and these guys and ladies runnng the THSBA have volunteered hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of their own time, something a lot on here have not done.

Yes, there are boat captains that are brand new and a little clueless, much like all of us were at one time. There are also parents that have zero involvement in their kids fishing and dont even know anything about the boat captain taking their kids out. Some have never even met the boat captain. Pretty pathetic and sad but its a fact, Ive seen it personally. I have also seen parents go out and buy boats, new and old, so they could fish with their kid. Some parents had never fished but they got involved with their kids which is a great thing. Some need to stop bitching, get involved and offer to help, or shut up.

There are things I dont like about high school fishing also but Ive spent three years overseeing my sons club and helped him start it, Ive tried to make a difference. There have been numerous times I wanted to shut the whole thing down due to parents being idiots and I mean complete idiots beyond belief. Seeing the kids that love the sport and observing the happiness it brings is the only reason I didnt quit. Our particular school has zero involvement and I recently had to remind them they had zero oversight when a parent complained to the school then they decided they wanted a say in the matter. I informed them they were welcome to take the club over or otherwise they had zero control over the club. High School fishing isnt going anywhere except its going to get larger and larger each year. You can either sit on the sidelines and bitch or volunteer and possibly help out a local club. Seems like a few just want to constantly condemn the youth no matter what they do. You complain if they sit home on their phone and also complain because they like the outdoors and fishing. Maybe you should get off your computer yourself and do something to make a difference.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12992310 12/11/18 05:22 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I get a good chuckle when the same guys that share memes on Facebook with some version of the "No participation trophies for snowflakes" rhetoric totally change their tune when it comes to participation in high school fishing tournaments (especially if their kid is involved)

A qualifying system and limited fields seems like a reasonable thing to impose and a valuable life lesson/experience for the kids

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Douglas J] #12992325 12/11/18 05:40 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Please point out the qualifying system for other local trails to help them limit the field. Why are people arguing that participation IS a trophy. The trophies go to the winners, just like any real sport. What I find funny are the people who call kids today "snowflakes" (which I totally agree with) and then in the next breathe talk about how we shouldn't be putting kids out in tournaments with 20 MPH forecasted winds.

By the way, the division tournaments are the qualifying events. This is not a tough concept to follow.

When did PARTICIPATION become a TROPHY, this argument has been mentioned a few times and the absolute lack of logic to it is just astounding.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12992357 12/11/18 06:16 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Shallow Waters
Please point out the qualifying system for other local trails to help them limit the field. Why are people arguing that participation IS a trophy. The trophies go to the winners, just like any real sport. What I find funny are the people who call kids today "snowflakes" (which I totally agree with) and then in the next breathe talk about how we shouldn't be putting kids out in tournaments with 20 MPH forecasted winds.

By the way, the division tournaments are the qualifying events. This is not a tough concept to follow.

When did PARTICIPATION become a TROPHY, this argument has been mentioned a few times and the absolute lack of logic to it is just astounding.

There are several differences between local trails and high school tournaments - most significant of which being the high school students. Another big difference is who can, and should, be held accountable for poor behavior on the water in either case.

Participation in a local trail requires resources - time and money. Participation in high school tournaments just requires talking someone into taking you out on their boat. Unlimited participation teaches the kids that if they want to participate in something - mommy and daddy will make it happen.

PARTICIPATION in high school sports has always been a point of pride. Anyone can join the team, only a few actually get to see playing time.

Re: Boat Swamped during High School tourney last weekend?? [Re: 04champ] #12992377 12/11/18 06:30 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by 04champ
Originally Posted by Shallow Waters

There are several differences between local trails and high school tournaments - most significant of which being the high school students. Another big difference is who can, and should, be held accountable for poor behavior on the water in either case.

Participation in a local trail requires resources - time and money. Participation in high school tournaments just requires talking someone into taking you out on their boat. Unlimited participation teaches the kids that if they want to participate in something - mommy and daddy will make it happen.

PARTICIPATION in high school sports has always been a point of pride. Anyone can join the team, only a few actually get to see playing time.

Got it, so your argument is that as an adult participation is not a trophy, but if you are in high school then being able to participate in something is a trophy. You also believe that every participant in an adult tournament has the same amount of investment and boat ownership as everyone else. And finally that if mom and dad provide for there kid to fish it is wrong, but no mention of whether it would be ok for the parents to invest in lets say Club baseball, nice cleats, top of the line bat, best club coach, etc.

"PARTICIPATION in high school sports has always been a point of pride." ..... We certainly cant have that privilege available to all kids, this is "pride" is reserved those 04champ believes deserving. Could you imagine if one of these undeserving kids actually enjoyed themselves? No sir, not on my waters.

Last edited by Shallow Waters; 12/11/18 06:32 PM.
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide