Forums59
Topics1,040,940
Posts13,990,037
Members144,244
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Decker Lake (Walter E. Long) Public Hearing [Re: And Mye] #12939178 10/19/18 09:57 PM
L
LastCastPodcast Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Ditto, everyone should go to the meeting next Wednesday.

The main issue is that Lake Long (Decker) only exists because water has been pumped up from the Colorado, and last I heard, no one actually knew how much that cost. It could be incredibly expensive, since Decker Creek doesn't supply enough water to keep the lake filled. And those of use who have been paying to use the boat ramp every weekend might not be putting enough dough in the coffers for the electricity required to pump 1200 acres of water uphill.

Here's the PDF from the second presentation:
https://austintexas.gov/sites/default/fi...NAL_reduced.pdf

They've been trying very hard to hide the words "golf course" from the plan options, because everyone hates golf. But if you squint, you can see the tiny square icon for a golf course in the diagrams for concepts 2 and 3B.

Last Cast Podcast: Two TPWD-certified elite anglers. One canoe.
Re: Decker Lake (Walter E. Long) Public Hearing [Re: James Roberts] #12945853 10/25/18 10:02 PM
L
LastCastPodcast Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
From the folks I talked with at that last meeting, it seems that Decker/Lake Long is not in jeopardy. It turns out they talked with Austin Power and even after the city converts to all green energy and fluffy bunnies, they'll still need a cooling lake from time to time.

So draining the lake is out of the question. The current local politics issue is whether or not a private golf course should be allowed to develop on the area.

If you should care about that issue, there's a public feedback survey here:
Decker Lake Master Plan Survey

Last Cast Podcast: Two TPWD-certified elite anglers. One canoe.
Re: Decker Lake (Walter E. Long) Public Hearing [Re: James Roberts] #12945913 10/25/18 11:37 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Great news for sure! We've effectively saved Decker Lake! If anyone takes that survey, which I highly recommend you do, be sure to mention the lack of bank access. From what it seems on the map, they only want you to fish in "designated areas" which are sorely lacking and in terrible places.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Decker Lake (Walter E. Long) Public Hearing [Re: LastCastPodcast] #12954843 11/04/18 04:59 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: ingvar3000
From the folks I talked with at that last meeting, it seems that Decker/Lake Long is not in jeopardy. It turns out they talked with Austin Power and even after the city converts to all green energy and fluffy bunnies, they'll still need a cooling lake from time to time.

So draining the lake is out of the question. The current local politics issue is whether or not a private golf course should be allowed to develop on the area.

If you should care about that issue, there's a public feedback survey here:
Decker Lake Master Plan Survey

clap clap clap

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Decker Lake (Walter E. Long) Public Hearing [Re: James Roberts] #12973807 11/23/18 06:44 AM
Kat-man-do Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Decker used to be such a fun lake when it had hydrilla. Once they closed the park at night and killed off the hydrilla, enter all the slime... it really dropped off. Then the plant stopped generating and I basically stopped fishing it. Still a decent lake if you can avoid getting run over by lake lice, but nothing like it used to be. Seems to be a recurring theme in Austin.

Re: Decker Lake (Walter E. Long) Public Hearing [Re: Kat-man-do] #12974301 11/23/18 10:12 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Kat-man-do
Decker used to be such a fun lake when it had hydrilla. Once they closed the park at night and killed off the hydrilla, enter all the slime... it really dropped off. Then the plant stopped generating and I basically stopped fishing it. Still a decent lake if you can avoid getting run over by lake lice, but nothing like it used to be. Seems to be a recurring theme in Austin.

Seems to be a recurring theme all over Texas. Someone please chime in with a "my lake is better than it used to be" story.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Decker Lake (Walter E. Long) Public Hearing [Re: Kat-man-do] #12983691 12/03/18 07:06 PM
786 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by Kat-man-do

According to TPWD, there were 47.5 acres of hydrilla, 50.1 acres of coontail, and a much smaller acreage of a few other species in a September 2018 survey. In November 2018, the catch rate of LMB was one of the highest recorded for any lake. All the vegetation to the right of the ramp was full of 2-4- pound LMB. Other areas with vegetation were also full of LMB. Recent surveys have shown good channel catfish, and hybrid populations.

Re: Decker Lake (Walter E. Long) Public Hearing [Re: Rayzor] #12983732 12/03/18 07:39 PM
fivebites Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler

Seems to be a recurring theme all over Texas. Someone please chime in with a "my lake is better than it used to be" story.
[/quote]

I don't know how good Lake Travis was 15 years ago, but I know what it was like 7 or 8 years ago, and the fishing is better now than it was then. Tons of small bass (meaning we've had great spawns) and yesterday there were more shad than I've ever seen. With the lake full now we should have an awesome spawn. My challenge is learning to fish these deep, clear lakes.

I've only been on Decker once in the last three months, but I can tell you for sure...it has TONS of grass in it. It's on my list of lakes to learn around here.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide