Print Thread
Clicker on baitcaster reel #12969272 11/18/18 04:34 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
When fishing from bank, dock, or anchored, anywhere Im not drifting, using a circle hook and placing rod in rod holder, i believe I should have the reel engaged. My question, therefore, is when to use a reel that lets a fish take line, like with a bite and run reel or a casting reel with a clicker? I assume it would be when fishing with another kind of hook, like a bait holder, treble, or octopus hook, anything other than a circle hook, is that right? Just curious and thought Id ask.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969277 11/18/18 04:50 PM
J
J Lowe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I strictly use circle hooks and have good luck using clickers. I usually just use them for night fishing. When that clicker starts screaming, just reach over and engage the reel and fish on.
Its really exciting when the clicker stays screaming after you engage the reel.. big fish on!!

Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969315 11/18/18 05:39 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Thanks for the reply J. Are you primarily using live baitfish for bait? I can see letting fish run with a bait when using live bait moreso than when using cut or other baits. But Im still a novice at catfishing. Im catching channel catfish, mostly small eaters, and am happy targeting catfish, but am still trying to hone my skill.

I fished for bass most of my life, but got older, no longer felt like maintaining and using a boat, stopped fishing for bass, and am now enjoying sitting in a chair with a rod or two in rod holders. Im glad catfish dont get the hype that bass do, leaves more cats for those of us that fish for them (grin).

Anyway, when using the clickers, what kind of bait do you use and what kind of rig do you use? Appreciate your helping me learn.

Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969325 11/18/18 06:04 PM
M
MilesHunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
The only time I use a clicker is when Im fishing with large live bait, usually perch, for flatheads. Im still using circle hooks so I dont set the hook. When one hits I just let them swim with it for a bit with the clicker until Im sure they have the entire bait in their mouth. Then engage the reel and reel down on them. I use a Carolina rig with a short leader.

Miles
Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969342 11/18/18 06:39 PM
B
Bobbycat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Just bright colored clothespins on the main line work great for me as sensitive indicators.

Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969347 11/18/18 06:45 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Miles, the way you are using a clicker makes sense to me. Thanks for explaining how you use them. Bobby Cat, using clothes pins is a new tip. Appreciate it.

Last edited by SlowDown; 11/18/18 06:49 PM.
Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969555 11/18/18 10:15 PM
J
J Lowe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted by SlowDown
Thanks for the reply J. Are you primarily using live baitfish for bait? I can see letting fish run with a bait when using live bait moreso than when using cut or other baits. But Im still a novice at catfishing. Im catching channel catfish, mostly small eaters, and am happy targeting catfish, but am still trying to hone my skill.

I fished for bass most of my life, but got older, no longer felt like maintaining and using a boat, stopped fishing for bass, and am now enjoying sitting in a chair with a rod or two in rod holders. Im glad catfish dont get the hype that bass do, leaves more cats for those of us that fish for them (grin).

Anyway, when using the clickers, what kind of bait do you use and what kind of rig do you use? Appreciate your helping me learn.

Im using cut shad with either a Carolina rig or a santee rig (Carolina with a peg float near the hook).
Only reason I use the clickers sometimes is at night when I cant see all the rods as well and while bank fishing when I have my rods spread out. I dont trust the rod holders in the ground to always hold up to a huge takedown so using the clicker buys me time to run to the rod and engage the reel

Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969573 11/18/18 10:29 PM
Magged Out Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I use the Clickers with any style hook or Bait. All the Time!

I just loosen the drag too hold whatever bait I'm usein, then a 1/4 turn. Never engage the button on my Abu's, NEVER. But that's my personal preference hooked

I'd Tack That!!
Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969591 11/18/18 10:55 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Helpful to learn from experienced cat fishermen. Using clickers when you dont trust rod holders to hold until you can get to the rod makes perfect sense. I had about decided that since I am using circle hooks and rod holders that I probably dont need clickers, but if and when I buy the next reel, Ill get an Ambassadeur with a clicker. May not use clicker often, but will be good have it.

Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969627 11/18/18 11:39 PM
J
JB in Ft Worth Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I bought Ambassador reels with clickers specifically for catfish - so that the big fish can run with the bait for a bit before I crank down on 'em. I really can't say that I get any better hook-up rate using the clicker vs. not. I'd be interested to hear some more experienced catfishers discuss the pros and cons of using the bait clickers. I kind of wonder if the noise doesn't sometimes spook the fish into letting go of the bait.

Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969656 11/19/18 12:05 AM
T
texdanm Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I mostly use circle hooks. As said already using a clicker works fine on any type of hook. All that said I only use the clicker if I'm not paying close attention to my rods. If you set your rod down without a clicker on you may look back and see it going away really fast unless you always set it in a good strong rod holder. It is a really sickening feeling watching your Ambassador reel and rod heading for the deep. I've been there and been also blessed by actually catching two ambassador rods and reels that someone else lost. It happens all the time. I also will admit that on those wonderful cool days when the sun shines on me that I've been known to[ partake of a nap. The clicker lets me know if my attention is needed. It is better to have a clicker and not need it than to need it and not have it. If I'm working at it I prefer to watch a rod bow over double when a big fish grabs my bait and head for another area code. I love it when I have to wrassel the pole out of the rod holder but if the bite is slow I will set out several rods on clicker and just relax. Those slow days can often be some of the best. I fish to relax and enjoy being on the river. It isn't for food because I have plenty of that and it isn't a competition for me. I went out friday and had a great day. I only caught two fish. one was 12 lbs and the other was about 6 lbs but the weather was glorious and my partner and I had a great day. The larger cat grabbed a rod in a holder and had thew drag screaming while the second hit on a rod out behind the boat on a clicker.

You know that old saying "Some people march to the beat of a different drummer."? I don't listen to a drum at all and have meandered through life instead of marching.
Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969728 11/19/18 01:13 AM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
texdanm, you sound like a man that feels the same about fishing as I do. I started fishing before Ray Scott came along and I never understood why anyone enjoyed competitive fishing, but different strokes for different folks as they say. When I catch small channels, Ill keep a couple for my wife and myself. I release all fish of any size. But, a nice meal with fish is also secondary with me. I love the out-of-doors, relaxing and enjoying Gods creation, enjoy seeing the rod suddenly bend over, and reeling it in. Makes me grateful for every day of life and health.

Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12969998 11/19/18 08:42 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Fwiw...When cat fishing, I fish multiple rods from the bank using cut bream or shad, a fixed heavy weight (4-5oz), santee cooper rig, engage my bait runner and wait for a run. I also use bite alarms that tell me if the fish is moving toward me or away. First season using this method (for cats), so far so good, but no monsters yet.

Re: Clicker on baitcaster reel [Re: SlowDown] #12973813 11/23/18 07:56 AM
T
texdanm Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I got into carp fishing a few years ago and love to set up a rod pod with bait runner reals and line alarms. Carp tournaments often run around the clock. We would set up and then relax and wait for the alarms to start screaming. I used to catch a lot of catfish during those tournaments on fruity boilies. When I bank fish at night that is the system that I use. I have a couple of 9' rods with large bait runner reels and a couple of 9' casting rods with 6500 ABUs and with a pair of pods we can sit there around a campfire have a few beers and tell stories. It makes for a really nice way to spend a night with friends.

Last edited by texdanm; 11/23/18 07:57 AM.

You know that old saying "Some people march to the beat of a different drummer."? I don't listen to a drum at all and have meandered through life instead of marching.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide