D
dmunsie Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Posted in another thread:

Originally Posted By: JWfish
The excessive netting by said group at Lake Fairfield is very disturbing. Lot of fish like bass, catfish and the occasional redfish are being netted and kept right in with the talapia going thru the fillet knife at the cleaning stations. No regard for the law or rules and I understand the Rangers just can't stop them all. So sad!

Originally Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide
Yep it is sad about Fairfield, what a place to go catch bull reds daily. The Talipia netter's are doing nothing illegal. They are not a game fish and they can keep as many as they choose. Yes, I knew the Park Ranger and he fished with me for many years. Said it did no good to ticket them for anything(illegal fish, no license, or anything else) because they would not show up in court and had no drivers license or ID.
Fairfield is a great fading memory, thanks TPWD for the many great years of string stretching here locally.

Is this accurate? How is the panfish population doing? Thx for any comments.

Re: For the Fairfield Locals... [Re: dmunsie] #12961858 11/11/18 01:50 PM
D
dmunsie Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Bump! thank you.

Re: For the Fairfield Locals... [Re: dmunsie] #12961897 11/11/18 02:55 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Never fished Fairfield before. Illegal netting can take it's toll on a fishery over a period of time. For what I have been reading about Fairfield over the years is that something was wrong with the water (Oxygen Content). The lake however during the past three years was making a slight comeback. There was a post a year or so ago showing a nice bunch of Bluegill that had been caught on that lake. I have also read other post in other sections over the past three years saying Fairfield was making a come back. If Illegal netting is going on anglers should report this to the Game Wardens each and every time they see this going on!

Side Note: For what I have read about Fairfield it was once the best Bluegill lake in Texas. hmmm

Re: For the Fairfield Locals... [Re: dmunsie] #12961957 11/11/18 03:48 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
It's been about a year since I had seen a post here in the Bluegill Section about Fairfield. The angler had posted a nice bunch of Bluegill that he had caught. Like already stated for what I have been reading about Fairfield it was making a come back.

Side Note: As for the illegal netting anglers need to report this to the Game Warden!

Re: For the Fairfield Locals... [Re: Laker One] #12961976 11/11/18 04:11 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Laker One
... For what I have read about Fairfield it was once the best Bluegill lake in Texas. hmmm

Very likely the best Bluegill lake in the USA! There's one lake in North Carolina that "In Fishermen" shows that is managed for trophy bluegill and it looked like it could give Fairfield a run for its money but still Fairfield was superior, IMO.

The mid-Feb closing of Big Brown power plant marked a huge change for the future of Fairfield. Without it, stocking redfish is no longer an option regardless of TP&W decisions...and as related to the netting, it will completely disappear over time. One hard cold winter will remove the last of the remaining Blue Tilapia (as well as redfish). That could easily happen this winter. Water temps at 55 deg or below will wipe them out.

Its speculation, but in my opinion, the reason Fairfield was such a spectacular Bluegill lake was the relationship to the redfish and the Blue Tilapia. The redfish helped manage the Bluegill population and the Blue Tilapia provided tons and tons of small baitfish that helped propel the copper nosed bluegill there to huge sizes not seen anywhere else in Texas. There will be no comeback that will reach the previous levels without the reds and Blue Tilapia.

Everybody looses, i.e no more possibility of redfish, no "comeback" by the spectacular bluegill of Fairfield, and nothing for the netters to legally go after.

It's a sad ending to a chapter of truly World Class fishing that was available to those who were able to enjoy it while we had it.

Re: For the Fairfield Locals... [Re: dmunsie] #12961986 11/11/18 04:27 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Got me to reminiscing about the great, great fishing at Fairfield and some great friends who were absolute masters of fishing that Lake.

First and foremost was Jackie Kennedy who had just about every record for the lake and the ones he didn't have belonged to Don Miller who was a fanatical artificial lures angler of the highest skill level.

Don and I teamed up to establish the freshwater redfish state record on the fly which stood for several years and still remains as the Lake record.

Re: For the Fairfield Locals... [Re: Meadowlark] #12962009 11/11/18 04:59 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
Originally Posted By: Laker One
... For what I have read about Fairfield it was once the best Bluegill lake in Texas. hmmm

Very likely the best Bluegill lake in the USA! There's one lake in North Carolina that "In Fishermen" shows that is managed for trophy bluegill and it looked like it could give Fairfield a run for its money but still Fairfield was superior, IMO.

The mid-Feb closing of Big Brown power plant marked a huge change for the future of Fairfield. Without it, stocking redfish is no longer an option regardless of TP&W decisions...and as related to the netting, it will completely disappear over time. One hard cold winter will remove the last of the remaining Blue Tilapia (as well as redfish). That could easily happen this winter. Water temps at 55 deg or below will wipe them out.

Its speculation, but in my opinion, the reason Fairfield was such a spectacular Bluegill lake was the relationship to the redfish and the Blue Tilapia. The redfish helped manage the Bluegill population and the Blue Tilapia provided tons and tons of small baitfish that helped propel the copper nosed bluegill there to huge sizes not seen anywhere else in Texas. There will be no comeback that will reach the previous levels without the reds and Blue Tilapia.

Everybody looses, i.e no more possibility of redfish, no "comeback" by the spectacular bluegill of Fairfield, and nothing for the netters to legally go after.

It's a sad ending to a chapter of truly World Class fishing that was available to those who were able to enjoy it while we had it.

Plus #1. Well Stated! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: For the Fairfield Locals... [Re: Meadowlark] #12962010 11/11/18 05:02 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
Got me to reminiscing about the great, great fishing at Fairfield and some great friends who were absolute masters of fishing that Lake.

First and foremost was Jackie Kennedy who had just about every record for the lake and the ones he didn't have belonged to Don Miller who was a fanatical artificial lures angler of the highest skill level.

Don and I teamed up to establish the freshwater redfish state record on the fly which stood for several years and still remains as the Lake record.

Still the current State and Local Lake Record C&R Red Drum Records Flyrod! Congratulations on both the Records and catching a fine fish. Bet the fight was AWESOME on the fly! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: For the Fairfield Locals... [Re: dmunsie] #12962633 11/12/18 03:25 AM
SLABXPRESS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I grew up fishing FF lake, and it was one of my favorites until the fish kills started in the early 2000s. When the big bluegills were in their prime, I was right in the middle of it. I lived in Teague and fished it every chance I got for about 4-5 years. Best was a 1lb 13oz TOAD that was not a coppernose or a hybrid, just a giant native BG. Should have gotten it certified, but we released instead. I have a short video somewhere, but no good pics of it. Lots of pics of numerous 10"+ bluegill, many well over a pound. It was amazing during those few years! Bringing home a cooler of 40-50 all big enough to filet was awesome!
It was a great bass, catfish, redfish, and bluegill lake. It is still a good bass and catfish lake today, and I believe it will still produce a few good bluegill. I think the wildcard is that it might develop into a nice crappie lake with the normal water temps. Never caught a lot there, but the ones we did were biguns.
Think of it more like Athens, now that it's no longer a power plant lake. That's a nice little bluegill lake in it's own right.
Bottom line...don't write off ol FF just yet!

Re: For the Fairfield Locals... [Re: dmunsie] #12962914 11/12/18 01:20 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Wow Fairfield had some super nice fish! Like stated above I hope it comes back. woot

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide