Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: Dylan C.] #12951298 10/31/18 03:42 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Another piece of possibly worthless advice from a non-restaurateur: LIMITED MENU. Decide what you can do well, and then improve it and make it better than anybody else. Zeek reminded me with his Gordon Ramsey reference. He never wanted more than 3 or 4 entree selections on the menu.

I also think of some of the most successful chains - Raisin Canes sells chicken strips, fries and slaw. In-N-Out sells burgers, fries and shakes. Freddy's sells burgers, fries, hotdogs, and ice cream. Most mexican restaurants make different combinations of ground beef, grilled beef, grilled chicken, tortillas, rice and beans.

The limited menu concept makes it easier and quicker to prepare orders. But even more importantly to you as an owner is that it limits the amount of inventory items you have to stock and use before it spoils.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: Ghost4BH] #12951305 10/31/18 03:45 PM
cocodrie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: JayC41
I thought you were in high school?
Which is while he'll be Bus Boy #1 at his family's new restaurant/saloon once we give him advice. Pay attention, Jay.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: Dylan C.] #12951307 10/31/18 03:48 PM
H
HasBen Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
My son opened a place in Dallas. It did really well, but it will beat you down over time. I think the people that do well are generally people that grew up in the business and understand all the goods and bads. Recently he sold the business. He will make far more money when he sells the real estate than he ever did operating the restaurant.

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: Dylan C.] #12951331 10/31/18 04:05 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
See if you can intern in a commercial kitchen somewhere. Get your food handling license first. Its damn hard work, think KP in the service.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: BassFever] #12951343 10/31/18 04:18 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted By: BassFever
Start with a food truck. See if what you're making is what the masses want. Or just open a bar. Higher margins than food.

How many bars last more than 5 years, you can count them on one hand pretty much, most bars are open about 7 minutes give or take.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: JRGOCARDS] #12951382 10/31/18 04:54 PM
J
JackMason Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: JRGOCARDS
My advice from years of observation, but no restaurant experience. Do Not put a restaurant in a location that has already failed as a restaurant - even if the failed restaurant was a completely different concept or food type. I have almost never seen a successful restaurant that took over a lease from a failed restaurant. One exception is Babe's in Carrollton.

JR

We opened one that had been 3 different concepts prior and all failed. Wasn't ideal, but we had no money for anything better. Absolutely horrible location too! Barely made it the first year and with hard work, great people with tons of passion for what we were doing... we made it work. Took that location from 25k a week to 120k a week in a little over 3 years. That [censored] location was the springboard to 20 locations today. It can be done with the right people, right plan and a chit ton of luck!!!

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: JackMason] #12951406 10/31/18 05:12 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: jackmason
My advice from years of observation, but no restaurant experience. Do Not put a restaurant in a location that has already failed as a restaurant - even if the failed restaurant was a completely different concept or food type. I have almost never seen a successful restaurant that took over a lease from a failed restaurant. One exception is Babe's in Carrollton.
We opened one that had been 3 different concepts prior and all failed. Wasn't ideal, but we had no money for anything better. Absolutely horrible location too! Barely made it the first year and with hard work, great people with tons of passion for what we were doing... we made it work. Took that location from 25k a week to 120k a week in a little over 3 years. That [censored] location was the springboard to 20 locations today. It can be done with the right people, right plan and a chit ton of luck!!!

Whats the name of your restaurants?

[Linked Image]

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: JRGOCARDS] #12951415 10/31/18 05:21 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru

JR

A lot of the time this is correct but Jake's in Flower Mound opened in location where 3-4 restaurants failed and they are doing quite well.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: cocodrie] #12951420 10/31/18 05:26 PM
D
Dylan C. Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: cocodrie
Originally Posted By: JayC41
I thought you were in high school?
Which is while he'll be Bus Boy #1 at his family's new restaurant/saloon once we give him advice. Pay attention, Jay.

Correction; *Server #1* roflmao

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: Scagnetti] #12951430 10/31/18 05:34 PM
J
JackMason Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti

Razzoos.

I left that group after 11 years with another partner to development a concept called Bone Daddys. Still doing it today along with two other developing concepts.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: JackMason] #12951444 10/31/18 05:41 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Razzoos.

I left that group after 11 years with another partner to development a concept called Bone Daddys. Still doing it today along with two other developing concepts.

Excellent! Ive always liked Razzoos.

I like to hear success stories like that, especially in the bar and restaurant business

[Linked Image]

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: Scagnetti] #12951452 10/31/18 05:48 PM
J
JackMason Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
J
Razzoos.

Excellent! Ive always liked Razzoos.

I like to hear success stories like that, especially in the bar and restaurant business

Thanks. I can tell you some painful stories too unfortunately. Last 2 1/2 years have been brutal with BD's , but things are slowly improving thank goodness!

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: JackMason] #12951469 10/31/18 06:09 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob

Razzoos.

love love love the rat toes. I wish they still had pan seared frog legs on the menu. they were to die for.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: Dylan C.] #12951472 10/31/18 06:14 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
After spending almost 5 years in Iraq working for a defense contractor all my drinking buddies tried talking me into opening a bar but theres one thing I learned while earning my business management degree, bars and restaurants have a 100% failure rate. It may be a year, decade, or a century but they all fail eventually

Re: ISO Restaurant Information [Re: Dylan C.] #12951479 10/31/18 06:17 PM
Westside. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I'll go to Razzoo's just for rat toes and cold beer, so good

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide