Texas Fishing Forum

ISO Restaurant Information

Posted By: Dylan C.

ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 04:57 AM

So the family has been passing around the idea of wanting to open a restaurant/saloon for a while now and are trying to make a move on it if we can get the financial ability to do so. Was wondering if anyone experienced on this topic would mind dropping some information/ details on what it takes to actually get started? Thanks!
Posted By: The Dad

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 05:30 AM

High % fail. Food and labor cost are huge variables. Location brings another headache from either a rent or traffic standpoint. Working with family (I have experience) is a struggle. Paycheck guarantee is out the window.

On the positive side, being your own boss is great. Yes, you wear all of the hats, but there is satisfaction from making it all come together successfully.

Best advice: Get all of your ducks in a row and overthink the business plan.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 11:02 AM

Talk with Tritonman, Happykamper or WAWI on here. They know their stuff. T-man started from a trailer on the side of the road and moved to a building within two years. Quality product was the key.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 11:03 AM

It takes a lot of money and a strong desire to lose that money.
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 12:32 PM

I look at restaurants as like being a Realtor:

No customers + lots of overhead = Failure

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: DanDaBald

It's not for the faint of heart. Scared money has no home.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 12:56 PM

About 60% of restaurants fail in the first 3 years. Opening one isn't cheap. I'd find a better place to invest that money. Also, a failing family business could tear apart a family
Posted By: Tritonman

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Roller22
Talk with Tritonman, Happykamper or WAWI on here. They know their stuff. T-man started from a trailer on the side of the road and moved to a building within two years. Quality product was the key.

We just got our final permit from the Fire Marshall yesterday to finally start work on our new location.

As for advice, I'd say follow your dream, but don't mortgage your future. I started out in a food trailer with 5 picnic tables 2 years ago. I did not grow the business unless we could afford it, and still remain debt free today. We only grow when the business dictates, and when we can afford it. Our new place will be 4,000 sq ft, plus outdoor seating, and will be about 80% paid for when we open.
Is it an azz whipping? Some days it really is, but you just keep doing what you love, and it'll work itself out. I'm scared to death of opening this new place, but you have to put a lot of trust into the guy upstairs. The business will tell you what it wants.

Posted By: Tritonman

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
Originally Posted By: DanDaBald

It's not for the faint of heart. Scared money has no home.

I remember this advice from about 3 years ago. I didn't fully understand it then, but I do now. You've provided a lot of great advice along the way, and I'm very appreciative.
Posted By: JRGOCARDS

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 02:53 PM

My advice from years of observation, but no restaurant experience. Do Not put a restaurant in a location that has already failed as a restaurant - even if the failed restaurant was a completely different concept or food type. I have almost never seen a successful restaurant that took over a lease from a failed restaurant. One exception is Babe's in Carrollton.

JR
Posted By: COFF

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JRGOCARDS
My advice from years of observation, but no restaurant experience. Do Not put a restaurant in a location that has already failed as a restaurant - even if the failed restaurant was a completely different concept or food type. I have almost never seen a successful restaurant that took over a lease from a failed restaurant. One exception is Babe's in Carrollton.

JR

Overall I agree with this, but maybe with a slight change in the formula. My opinion is that there are 2 reasons that restaurants fail. Bad food, and bad location. Regarding JR's advice above, if you have been to a place that actually had good food and they didn't make it... it is most definitely a bad location. However I've seen several places take over a restaurant that closed because of just bad food and they were successful.

That said, I'm not in the business either, so my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. Good luck to you either way! cheers
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 03:26 PM

You're getting good advice here. I've never tried to run a restaurant, but we've had many as tenants through the years. Most fail, for the reasons you see in the Chef Ramsey show ... oh, what's it called? Oh yeah, "Kitchen Nightmares". Watch a couple seasons of that show to pick up on do's and dont's (without the yelling and cussing of course).
Posted By: BassFever

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 03:34 PM

Start with a food truck. See if what you're making is what the masses want. Or just open a bar. Higher margins than food.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 03:38 PM

Appreciate all the advise! Thanks y'all
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 03:41 PM

I thought you were in high school?
Posted By: COFF

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 03:42 PM

Another piece of possibly worthless advice from a non-restaurateur: LIMITED MENU. Decide what you can do well, and then improve it and make it better than anybody else. Zeek reminded me with his Gordon Ramsey reference. He never wanted more than 3 or 4 entree selections on the menu.

I also think of some of the most successful chains - Raisin Canes sells chicken strips, fries and slaw. In-N-Out sells burgers, fries and shakes. Freddy's sells burgers, fries, hotdogs, and ice cream. Most mexican restaurants make different combinations of ground beef, grilled beef, grilled chicken, tortillas, rice and beans.

The limited menu concept makes it easier and quicker to prepare orders. But even more importantly to you as an owner is that it limits the amount of inventory items you have to stock and use before it spoils.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: JayC41
Which is while he'll be Bus Boy #1 at his family's new restaurant/saloon once we give him advice. Pay attention, Jay.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 03:48 PM

My son opened a place in Dallas. It did really well, but it will beat you down over time. I think the people that do well are generally people that grew up in the business and understand all the goods and bads. Recently he sold the business. He will make far more money when he sells the real estate than he ever did operating the restaurant.
Posted By: Cast

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 04:05 PM

See if you can intern in a commercial kitchen somewhere. Get your food handling license first. Its damn hard work, think KP in the service.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BassFever
Start with a food truck. See if what you're making is what the masses want. Or just open a bar. Higher margins than food.

How many bars last more than 5 years, you can count them on one hand pretty much, most bars are open about 7 minutes give or take.
Posted By: JackMason

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 04:54 PM

JR

We opened one that had been 3 different concepts prior and all failed. Wasn't ideal, but we had no money for anything better. Absolutely horrible location too! Barely made it the first year and with hard work, great people with tons of passion for what we were doing... we made it work. Took that location from 25k a week to 120k a week in a little over 3 years. That [censored] location was the springboard to 20 locations today. It can be done with the right people, right plan and a chit ton of luck!!!
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: jackmason
We opened one that had been 3 different concepts prior and all failed. Wasn't ideal, but we had no money for anything better. Absolutely horrible location too! Barely made it the first year and with hard work, great people with tons of passion for what we were doing... we made it work. Took that location from 25k a week to 120k a week in a little over 3 years. That [censored] location was the springboard to 20 locations today. It can be done with the right people, right plan and a chit ton of luck!!!

Whats the name of your restaurants?
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 05:21 PM

JR

A lot of the time this is correct but Jake's in Flower Mound opened in location where 3-4 restaurants failed and they are doing quite well.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: cocodrie
Originally Posted By: JayC41
Which is while he'll be Bus Boy #1 at his family's new restaurant/saloon once we give him advice. Pay attention, Jay.

Correction; *Server #1* roflmao

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Scagnetti

Razzoos.

I left that group after 11 years with another partner to development a concept called Bone Daddys. Still doing it today along with two other developing concepts.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 05:41 PM

Razzoos.

I left that group after 11 years with another partner to development a concept called Bone Daddys. Still doing it today along with two other developing concepts.

Excellent! Ive always liked Razzoos.

I like to hear success stories like that, especially in the bar and restaurant business

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 05:48 PM

Razzoos.

Excellent! Ive always liked Razzoos.

I like to hear success stories like that, especially in the bar and restaurant business

Thanks. I can tell you some painful stories too unfortunately. Last 2 1/2 years have been brutal with BD's , but things are slowly improving thank goodness!
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 06:09 PM

Razzoos.

love love love the rat toes. I wish they still had pan seared frog legs on the menu. they were to die for.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 06:14 PM

After spending almost 5 years in Iraq working for a defense contractor all my drinking buddies tried talking me into opening a bar but theres one thing I learned while earning my business management degree, bars and restaurants have a 100% failure rate. It may be a year, decade, or a century but they all fail eventually
Posted By: Westside.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 06:17 PM

I'll go to Razzoo's just for rat toes and cold beer, so good

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Westside.
I'll go to Razzoo's just for rat toes and cold beer, so good

Good bar scene too
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 06:41 PM

One time we went to Razzoo's a buddy of mine drank a little too much. He woke up the next morning and had puked gator punch all over his white carpet. Doesn't remember doing it. Good times.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 06:41 PM

Rattoes are one of my favorites, I played golf with you guys buyer years back. John Jessup I believe. Retired football player. Tom Laundry classic over at Glenn Eagles.

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
Rattoes are one of my favorites, I played golf with you guys buyer years back. John Jessup I believe. Retired football player. Tom Laundry classic over at Glenn Eagles.

John is a great guy. Knows his stuff too.
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 11:00 PM

look into KFC, apparently the demand is high in the Greenville/Quilan area and the doctors are prescribing it, win for everyone

Re: ISO Restaurant Information - 10/31/18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Bug
look into KFC, apparently the demand is high in the Greenville/Quilan area and the doctors are prescribing it, win for everyone

Its too late, I closed today on two locations in that area and free chicken legs during the grand opening!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum