Forums59
Topics1,038,970
Posts13,956,632
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: Trickster] #12945246 10/25/18 01:34 PM
S
Samsonsworld Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Trickster
Yep...It is a crock of...

This.

There are usually concurrent college credit courses offered at most high schools, though. Helps a little.

Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: GeoFisher] #12945273 10/25/18 01:55 PM
A
Arkansas10 bass Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
Start applying for the multitude of grants and scholarships that are available to smart people like your daughter. Texas A&M as well as The University of Texas will have people that will assist and guide you in the search. They know what's what out there. They want people like your daughter.
Start the search.

Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: GeoFisher] #12945305 10/25/18 02:29 PM
C
Coach Hark Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Ive been in education for 33 years. I have believed for most of that I know the problem of Texas education. Most time and money are spent on the lower 10% nd the upper 10% of kids. That leaves 80% of a schools enrollment getting a mediocre education. Nothing wrong with GT programs and Special Ed classes but thats where all the time and money are spent in education. The average kids are failed by the system.

Last edited by Coach Hark; 10/25/18 02:32 PM.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right

http://constantpursuitoutfitters.com/

Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: GeoFisher] #12945322 10/25/18 02:43 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
My kids were all in the AP classes and I opposed the entire premise of sending the best and the brightest to AP schools thus leaving the "regular" schools devoid of powerful positive role models.

As for the original post...welcome to affirmative action.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: GeoFisher] #12945343 10/25/18 03:09 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
go to a private school
pay now play later

Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: GeoFisher] #12945520 10/25/18 05:05 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: GeoFisher
First, let me preface this by saying the 50 K has not been stolen yet! You see, that is what it will cost me for 2 years of college at UT or A&M for my daughter in a few years. There is however, the potential for her to attend an Early College HS in her district and have an associates degree along with her HS Diploma. That's 2 years I don't have to pay for! FREE!! 50 K in my pocket.......................but wait...there is a snag..............you see, even though my daughter makes straight A's, works hard, has never been a discipline issue, attends every day, and is totally focused on her academics, there is an APPLICATION process to this "Early College" stuff.....OK I say.

Rewind to last night as the district invited the "prospective" early college students and their parents up to the school for more information on the program. After one hour of listening to presentation and viewing the powerpoints, the last powerpoint mentions a "LOTTERY" for being chosen to the program..........hmmmmm I say. Well how does this lottery work I wonder?.........The presenter then starts to talk about criteria for getting your child's name in that proverbial hat. The first criteria, a simple recommendation from the building principal at the attending school.......Cool I say, that wont be an issue. So my daughter is gonna have her name in the hat along with the other applicants and they will draw names to fill the open places, completely fair I thought. But wait there is more.................at least for "other" applicants, there is more.......................... So the presenter starts rattling off terms like socio-economic status, 504 status, At-Risk status, disadvantaged sub-pops, racial profiles, past parental college, and even gender. I soon learned that should ANY of the other students my daughter is "competing" against meet any of these criteria, they get an additional "LOTTERY TICKET".....................WHOOAAAAAAA...........Wait a minute here....I have been sitting here for over an hour listening intently to this stuff and I just learned that my daughter has a better chance of winning the freakin mega ball than getting into this school!!! You talk about some serious teeth grinding going on!! I could literally feel my blood pressure skyrocketing. I would have been much better served had they had a sign on the front door saying "Middle Class Caucasian Female Students who have parents with a College Education need not apply".....................Man, talk about a slap in the face.

So there ya go, $50,000 STOLEN!!!

Lawyer up and sue. Just imagine if she was a boy. It would be even less likely.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: GeoFisher] #12945567 10/25/18 05:30 PM
K
kcb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I just put a kid through college and I agree with the OP the cost is beyond the reach of many. The cost you're quoting is about right when you add up everything including spending money. What really got me was not the costs that the school charges but what it cost to house and feed them. I knew one family that thought their son should "tough it out" like their dad did when he went to school. His rent was something like $460 a month. I have a daughter and I just wasn't going to do that (put her in a sketch neighborhood). Laying out $600 a month on rent got to me I think cause I've lived in the same house for 20 years & have a small mortgage payment! Even had her in a nice dorm one year and that along WITH meal plan was over $800 (2015).

My suggestion is to she if she can live at home at least a year and commute to either a four year school or J. College and transfer to her dream school.

Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: KingwoodCat] #12945590 10/25/18 05:51 PM
GeoFisher Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: KingwoodCat
First, let me preface this by saying the 50 K has not been stolen yet! You see, that is what it will cost me for 2 years of college at UT or A&M for my daughter in a few years. There is however, the potential for her to attend an Early College HS in her district and have an associates degree along with her HS Diploma. That's 2 years I don't have to pay for! FREE!! 50 K in my pocket.......................but wait...there is a snag..............you see, even though my daughter makes straight A's, works hard, has never been a discipline issue, attends every day, and is totally focused on her academics, there is an APPLICATION process to this "Early College" stuff.....OK I say.

Rewind to last night as the district invited the "prospective" early college students and their parents up to the school for more information on the program. After one hour of listening to presentation and viewing the powerpoints, the last powerpoint mentions a "LOTTERY" for being chosen to the program..........hmmmmm I say. Well how does this lottery work I wonder?.........The presenter then starts to talk about criteria for getting your child's name in that proverbial hat. The first criteria, a simple recommendation from the building principal at the attending school.......Cool I say, that wont be an issue. So my daughter is gonna have her name in the hat along with the other applicants and they will draw names to fill the open places, completely fair I thought. But wait there is more.................at least for "other" applicants, there is more.......................... So the presenter starts rattling off terms like socio-economic status, 504 status, At-Risk status, disadvantaged sub-pops, racial profiles, past parental college, and even gender. I soon learned that should ANY of the other students my daughter is "competing" against meet any of these criteria, they get an additional "LOTTERY TICKET".....................WHOOAAAAAAA...........Wait a minute here....I have been sitting here for over an hour listening intently to this stuff and I just learned that my daughter has a better chance of winning the freakin mega ball than getting into this school!!! You talk about some serious teeth grinding going on!! I could literally feel my blood pressure skyrocketing. I would have been much better served had they had a sign on the front door saying "Middle Class Caucasian Female Students who have parents with a College Education need not apply".....................Man, talk about a slap in the face.

So there ya go, $50,000 STOLEN!!!

Lawyer up and sue. Just imagine if she was a boy. It would be even less likely.

You would think that K-Cat, but I did learn at the meeting it is quite the opposite. I was surprised by that.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: GeoFisher] #12945605 10/25/18 06:03 PM
K
Keith Stone! Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
Isn't white privilege wonderful?

Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: GeoFisher] #12945606 10/25/18 06:03 PM
Tritonman Online Happy
Super Freak
Online Happy
Super Freak
Just have her self identify as a different race and gender...it's all the rage these days

[Linked Image]
Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: Tritonman] #12945663 10/25/18 06:52 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Tritonman
Just have her self identify as a different race and gender...it's all the rage these days

you know
really
that is a pretty good plan

Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: bloo_rainger] #12945985 10/26/18 01:08 AM
N
nellie Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
N
Originally Posted By: bloo_rainger
If youre of white privilege, have worked hard and saved money to help pay for college. Your white privileged child has been busting their butts to do good and make good grades. Guess what, youre going to pay for college out of your back pocket.

Nail hit head here, you are dead one!
Both my daughters have busted their butt to be top in their class and it got them nowhere with college help.
First daughter is graduating from A&M College Station in December and was number 7 in her class of 700 students, no scholarship money from A&M and about $2000 total from private stuff, I have paid all the rest.

Second daughter will graduate this year from HS, was number 2 overall in her class or nearly 700 students but is not taking any AP classes her senior year which will probably drop her rank to 5 or 6 which is what the first daughter did after finding out it would not help with scholarships anyway.

It really sucks that all the work they do means nothing scholarship wise because their parents are considered "white middle class".

It is what is though, just be glad you can pay their way to get an education. That is the way I feel about it but he system definately sucks.

Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: GeoFisher] #12946437 10/26/18 02:46 PM
Pinkus Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Hard to read, its infuriating... my little sister called me a few months ago ranting about pre-k being for non English speaking students welfare takers and that there was no chance her kid was getting in..

Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: Pinkus] #12946464 10/26/18 03:10 PM
GeoFisher Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Pinkus
Hard to read, its infuriating... my little sister called me a few months ago ranting about pre-k being for non English speaking students welfare takers and that there was no chance her kid was getting in..

I used to work in the same building where our Pre K classes were located and I KNOW what you say is true!! In no way did the demographic makeup of those classes reflect the demographics of the town I teach in.

Last edited by GeoFisher; 10/26/18 03:10 PM.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: So, how would you feel if you had $50,000 Stolen? [Re: GeoFisher] #12946480 10/26/18 03:27 PM
N
nethingthatbites Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Pinkus
Hard to read, it’s infuriating... my little sister called me a few months ago ranting about pre-k being for non English speaking students welfare takers and that there was no chance her kid was getting in..

I used to work in the same building where our Pre K classes were located and I KNOW what you say is true!! In no way did the demographic makeup of those classes reflect the demographics of the town I teach in.

Yep. We had no hope of our kids getting in. If you're not ESL, poor, handicapped in some way (i.e. needing speech, therapy, etc.), or a teachers kid....no chance.

Anything public shouldn't be biased like that. Equally available to all or it shouldn't exist.

MAGA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide