Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Guides fishing [Re: WAWI] #12930935 10/12/18 02:23 AM
Texascajun69 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I am retired live on T bend. I have a guide license but have not guided on either T bend or Big Sam. I don't think there is a Financial advantage to being a guide when it comes to fishing a tournament. If there is any advantage it is in the amount of time on the water they spend. But that doesn't guarantee the fish will be there. Look at the results from the BFL Cowboy Division fished on T-bend last week. The winner was from Southeast La. The highest a guide finished was 4th. 27lbs for 2 days won it. That shows even with time on the water it doesn't automatically convert to cashing a check. But it does improve the odds. I say let the guides fish, but restrict them to not guiding on the lake for 30 days. And put an off limits with until 2 days before tournament.

John K Fontenot
Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often; and for the same reason.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Guides fishing [Re: WAWI] #12931129 10/12/18 12:45 PM
wsimpson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
While proximity favors the locals whether they are guides or not, commitment and execution win tournaments...

Re: Guides fishing [Re: WAWI] #12931780 10/13/18 12:21 AM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
There are really only a handful of tournament lakes in Texas with a decent number of full time bass guides. As long as the lake is off limits the week prior, it doesn't matter much. For the smaller tournaments that let guides fish and don't have an off limits...yea, I don't quite understand that decision.

Sam Rayburn
Toledo
Fork
Amistad
Falcon (very few full time guides and not a lot of tournaments)

What other lakes have larger tournaments and a decent amount of full time guides?

Re: Guides fishing [Re: WAWI] #12931888 10/13/18 02:54 AM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: WAWI
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
I don't tend to have a problem with it in a trail setting where they have to fish different lakes, as long as that particular trail doesn't fish the same lake multiple times. It does get tricky in the deep east texas region though because a lot of guys will work on both Rayburn and Toledo, and may even hit one of those lakes multiple times.

Where it bothers me is when you have an open tournament on their lake and those are the only tournaments these guys enter. I know a lot of open tournaments will prohibit guides now and that is the way it should be. I really like the idea of the Average Joe tournament that outlaw put on this year on Rayburn.

Yep Outlaw is doing some cool stuff,

Keep watching, I think something pretty cool is in the works.

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: Guides fishing [Re: 007.] #12932257 10/13/18 05:55 PM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 007.
Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Wouldn't a guide be giving up a chance to make his $400-500 fee had he fished with clients plus be out the fuel costs and entry fee like the other competitors by not choosing to guide that day? Financially a guide might be more heavily invested money wise in a tournament.

Not if they win. Prob $1000 or more for a tournament win compared to the $400-$600 for day day of guiding.

Last year in the trail I fish, a guide (on the lake that he guides on) won $5460.00. The rules were changed for the 2018 season.

Pretty sure the rules were changed because a couple guys wouldn't stop complaining about it when this certain guide fished. Let the guides enjoy the sport too. Its not like any of us really make any money anyway.

I have been on both sides of this. When I first started fishing I complained like crazy about guides fishing because honestly I was scared that they were better then me and I just wasn't good enough. Not saying that I have gotten better but now I could absolutely care less if a guide fishes or not. When I put the boat on the water its me against the fish. Not to mention during the spring there are plenty of locals that fish just as much or more then the guides do and those people get to fish how THEY want to and to their ability. Guides take clients out all the time that do not have the skills to catch em certain ways. If you don't like guides fishing then get better. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Guides fishing [Re: Mark Perry] #12932261 10/13/18 06:07 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
I said this the other day on another thread but it's ironic that in other sports the more you practice and work hard you are rewarded success and people applaud that. But in bass fishing we want to "level" the playing field and punish the guys willing to put in the time to prefish.

The ones that want "a level playing field" are likely a bunch of whining p*****s that don't ever win anything

Re: Guides fishing [Re: Barrett] #12932308 10/13/18 07:29 PM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Barrett
Originally Posted By: 007.
Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
Wouldn't a guide be giving up a chance to make his $400-500 fee had he fished with clients plus be out the fuel costs and entry fee like the other competitors by not choosing to guide that day? Financially a guide might be more heavily invested money wise in a tournament.

Not if they win. Prob $1000 or more for a tournament win compared to the $400-$600 for day day of guiding.

Last year in the trail I fish, a guide (on the lake that he guides on) won $5460.00. The rules were changed for the 2018 season.

Pretty sure the rules were changed because a couple guys wouldn't stop complaining about it when this certain guide fished. Let the guides enjoy the sport too. Its not like any of us really make any money anyway.

I have been on both sides of this. When I first started fishing I complained like crazy about guides fishing because honestly I was scared that they were better then me and I just wasn't good enough. Not saying that I have gotten better but now I could absolutely care less if a guide fishes or not. When I put the boat on the water its me against the fish. Not to mention during the spring there are plenty of locals that fish just as much or more then the guides do and those people get to fish how THEY want to and to their ability. Guides take clients out all the time that do not have the skills to catch em certain ways. If you don't like guides fishing then get better. Just my 2 cents.

+2 cents

Last edited by Scoundrel; 10/13/18 07:31 PM.
Re: Guides fishing [Re: WAWI] #12932763 10/14/18 03:56 AM
Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I can tell you.... we arent guides to get rich! Most of us could have other jobs but dont to put people like you guys on the fish of a lifetime, a kids PB, teach a lady to cast a baitcaster. A guide should win a tournament on the lake he works on, but I got more enjoyment out of going somewhere else and beating a guy that worked on the lake. That meant more to me than the money.

Ive said it for years..... If you are fishing lower end tournaments to make money. You might as well quit. Its not gonna happen.

Licensed Lake Fork Guide
972-979-4163 cell
www.lakeforkoutfitterszachhughes.com
zachhughesbass@gmail.com

www.mistertwister.com
www.dobynsrods.com
Skeeter Boats/Yamaha Outboards
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide