Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: TBS] #12885497 09/03/18 11:46 AM
Derek 🐝 Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Online Shocked
Queen of Bees
Been looking at the pellet smokers for a little while now. If I buy one I'll be going with the Rec Tec 590.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: TBS] #12885522 09/03/18 12:52 PM
R
RickS. Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
R
I have an old Charbroil barrel grill. A Dynaglo offset stick burner. I actually do better on on the Charbroil.
Been thinking about either a pellet of Kamado type for briskets. I'm not into sitting out there for 13 hours anymore.
I have heard the pellet grills don't get the smoke flavor like others. Yankee dude at work brought in a brisket on Friday. Cooked it on his Kamado. Turned out really good.

Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: TBS] #12885539 09/03/18 01:13 PM
M
me and the boys Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I will say it! If it aint cooked with wood it aint right.

Those pellets are nothing more than compressed cardboard with flavor added. Then the idea of allowing a outdoor oven to be called a BBQ pit???? Thats just more of that yuppie [censored]!!!

Next thing they will be boiling steaks and saying oh,,, its the only way to cook

Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: Derek 🐝] #12885549 09/03/18 01:25 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝
Been looking at the pellet smokers for a little while now. If I buy one I'll be going with the Rec Tec 590.

Youll buy nothing and like it, young man!!!!

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: me and the boys] #12885563 09/03/18 01:41 PM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: me and the boys

Those pellets are nothing more than compressed cardboard with flavor added. Then the idea of allowing a outdoor oven to be called a BBQ pit???? Thats just more of that yuppie [censored]!!!

Next thing they will be boiling steaks and saying oh,,, its the only way to cook

Not true, I believe the Cookshack Fast Eddie pellet smokers win most BBQ contest when allowed.

Don't knock it till you try it.

http://www.cookshack.com

Last edited by SheCrappieKilla; 09/03/18 02:36 PM.
Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: TBS] #12885575 09/03/18 01:56 PM
N
Nekro Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
I have a green mountain grill pellet smoker and I love it. I bought it because I didn't want to be babysitting a smoker all day. I usually throw on a brisket when the wife gets up to work and go back to sleep and check on it when I wake up. I always see my neighbor going back and forth checking on his offset smoker while I'm watching tv or playing with the dog

Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: me and the boys] #12885582 09/03/18 02:05 PM
Jacob Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Lumberjack pellets are 100% virgin wood from the species on the bag. No fillers.

Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: me and the boys] #12885609 09/03/18 02:27 PM
T
TBS Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T

Ive wondered about this. All the research Ive done shows the pellets are real wood. I have seen the pellet smokers used in BBQ Pitmasters. The other competitors dont like it and take some jabs at the guys using them.

"I Ain't Often Right But I've Never Been Wrong"

Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: me and the boys] #12885659 09/03/18 03:28 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T

Heat is heat, smoke is smoke. The meat has no way to differentiate if the heat and smoke are from wood or pellets.

Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: Tallgrass05] #12885663 09/03/18 03:30 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted By: Tallgrass05

Heat is heat, smoke is smoke. The meat has no way to differentiate if the heat and smoke are from wood or pellets.

This.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #12885664 09/03/18 03:32 PM
N
Nekro Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

This.

That. cheers

Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: Tallgrass05] #12885667 09/03/18 03:34 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

This brings up a question. On a wood fire cooker, you can make the smoke different colors, blue, white, and not much smoke at all. Can you do that on a pellet smoker? The three different colors of smoke play a big role in flavor and bitterness. I have eaten food cooked on a Yoder Pellet Smoker and also off of another one Im not sure what kind, and it did not have the flavor I am used to getting off of a wood fire.

Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: TCK73] #12885671 09/03/18 03:38 PM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: TCK73

This brings up a question. On a wood fire cooker, you can make the smoke different colors, blue, white, and not much smoke at all. Can you do that on a pellet smoker? The three different colors of smoke play a big role in flavor and bitterness. I have eaten food cooked on a Yoder Pellet Smoker and also off of another one Im not sure what kind, and it did not have the flavor I am used to getting off of a wood fire.

Bet you didn't burp up smoke either, like on a wood fired.

Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: TBS] #12885672 09/03/18 03:38 PM
N
Nekro Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
If I want more smoke using my pellet grill I just use this.

https://www.amazon.com/LIZZQ-Premium-Pel...ds=smoking+tube

Re: Smokers : Offset vs Pellet [Re: TBS] #12885681 09/03/18 03:42 PM
lonestar Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I don't post much but I'm on here every day! This topic caught my attention because I have been going through this. I had an offset stick burner and got pretty good with it . I I got older I got lazy and wanted something easy for just me and my wife. Got a Masterbuilt electric that uses chips. Cooks really good food , but, food does not look like the TV food. Finally got a Masterbuilt Pellet Smoker. Have been using it about 6 months. It cooks some of the best looking food I have ever cooked. Bark, smoke ring, tenderness, PERFECT! My problem is the smoke flavor is barely present. I have changed pellets(Lumberjack) and ran the smoke phase longer, trying about everything I can find on the pellet forums. I just can't get the smoke flavor I want. I think I'm going to try a combo cook with my chip smoker first and finish on the pellets and see what happens. That's my 2cents.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide