Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12864403 08/14/18 10:42 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
I have some test the market money with Merill Lynch, it's only 10 k I wanted my guy there to go crazy and invest in high risk high yield stuff... He can't seem to get the picture, in 3-1/2 years it's only made 2.5 k. I need to roll it away from there..imo.. He's to old school, I don't care if we lose some on a high risk, if it pans out we'd throw more money into it.. It's just playing around.. I need to see Floon

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Kay Dyson] #12864446 08/14/18 11:51 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
I have some test the market money with Merill Lynch, it's only 10 k I wanted my guy there to go crazy and invest in high risk high yield stuff... He can't seem to get the picture, in 3-1/2 years it's only made 2.5 k. I need to roll it away from there..imo.. He's to old school, I don't care if we lose some on a high risk, if it pans out we'd throw more money into it.. It's just playing around.. I need to see Floon

You dont need a money guy to invest 10k in high risk. Just put it all in the next IPO.

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Kay Dyson] #12864471 08/15/18 12:29 AM
elcoyote, esq. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

You cant afford Floon. I suggest you invest heavily with Z&D. Theyve done amazing things with my money. Lost most of it, which is pretty amazing, considering everyone else is making money right now.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12864523 08/15/18 01:17 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: cbag1
Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson
I have seen several posts before mentioning Vanguard funds but didn't see the answers when I searched. I am wondering if you have to set up an account through Vanguard or can the funds be bought through E*TRADE? Also are there any particular funds or indexes you guys recommend out of the many Vanguard options available?

I am 48 with a few years until I can comfortably say I am fully retired and feel like I have enough money socked away for the rest of my life. I need to get my current nest egg working for me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Because you are asking the question that you are, I will assume this is a topic with which you have limited familiarity. That being the case, my somewhat stock answer here (1st pun of the day) would probably be to go see and pay for professional advice.

Here's why. If you say that you're only a "few" years away from being comfortably retired, but you are just now trying to get a nest egg working - that has a little incongruence to it. The closer you get to needing to pull that money, the more you should be dialing the risk back, not taking more. An advisor can double check your math for you and make sure you're on track as you think you are.

Once you get into retirement, you are in an income distribution phase...which is totally different than being in what you have been in your whole adult life to this point - an asset accumulation phase. Investment planning begins to morph into income planning. A trained advisor can make all the difference in the world when it comes to income planning. There are plenty of mistakes to be made here, but as well, there are plenty of opportunities.

Everybody has different risk tolerances, time horizons, income needs, and financial situations. There are no cookie cutter investments nor financial plans. Go see someone that does this professionally.

I met with my dad's advisor last month at Merrill Lynch and all he wanted to talk about was me investing in American Funds he was pushing. The American Funds were probably alright and definitely a better choice than a high yield savings account that I have the money in now. I brought up Vanguard to him to seek his advice and opinion. He said he was able to put me in Vanguard but was still pushing AF so that told me he was getting more commission from AF and wasn't really interested in what might be best for the client.

This is the biggest reason I am having difficulty in deciding where to place this money plus it seems like the market is inflated right now. It has taken me all my life to get to where I am at now and this money has to last me the rest of my life so I am not interested in taking a big loss in the market. I am lucky in the fact that I have no debt such as college, cars, or house payments. Just the everyday living expenses like insurance, taxes, utilities, etc. Sometimes we are our worst enemy and fear is hard to overcome.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

He gets no commission on Vanguard.

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Derek 🐝] #12864597 08/15/18 02:26 AM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
You guys have inspired me. Im going to go sink some money into Vanguard.

Frank... Frank I like you. Just remember something. Man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.

Frank is sad..... because he has no clue what in the world you mean.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Frank the Tank] #12864609 08/15/18 02:39 AM
Derek 🐝 Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees

Frank... Frank I like you. Just remember something. Man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.

Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies and cuts through to the essence of the evolutionary spirit. For twenty dollars I can tell you a lot of things. For thirty dollars I can tell you more. And for fifty dollars I can tell you everything.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Derek 🐝] #12864640 08/15/18 03:00 AM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S

Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies and cuts through to the essence of the evolutionary spirit. For twenty dollars I can tell you a lot of things. For thirty dollars I can tell you more. And for fifty dollars I can tell you everything.

Kid, you're on a roll. Enjoy it while it lasts, 'cause it never does.

[Linked Image]

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12864652 08/15/18 03:17 AM
S
SWH Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
S
For a younger individual what is your access to vanguard account money and when do they take their cut? Got a chunk in online but its about time to beat 1.8%

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12864704 08/15/18 04:10 AM
C
cbag1 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
I got my Vanguard account set up today as well as the transfer for the initial deposit. Will be happy to be making more than 1.8% now.

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: Derek 🐝] #12864785 08/15/18 12:30 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F

Marry me and move to Las Vegas with me and Z? We can start a show with white tigers and be famous and invest in Vanguard. I will buy you all the dirty 30's your heart desires!!

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12864896 08/15/18 02:37 PM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson
I have seen several posts before mentioning Vanguard funds but didn't see the answers when I searched. I am wondering if you have to set up an account through Vanguard or can the funds be bought through E*TRADE? Also are there any particular funds or indexes you guys recommend out of the many Vanguard options available?

I am 48 with a few years until I can comfortably say I am fully retired and feel like I have enough money socked away for the rest of my life. I need to get my current nest egg working for me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Because you are asking the question that you are, I will assume this is a topic with which you have limited familiarity. That being the case, my somewhat stock answer here (1st pun of the day) would probably be to go see and pay for professional advice.

Here's why. If you say that you're only a "few" years away from being comfortably retired, but you are just now trying to get a nest egg working - that has a little incongruence to it. The closer you get to needing to pull that money, the more you should be dialing the risk back, not taking more. An advisor can double check your math for you and make sure you're on track as you think you are.

Once you get into retirement, you are in an income distribution phase...which is totally different than being in what you have been in your whole adult life to this point - an asset accumulation phase. Investment planning begins to morph into income planning. A trained advisor can make all the difference in the world when it comes to income planning. There are plenty of mistakes to be made here, but as well, there are plenty of opportunities.

Everybody has different risk tolerances, time horizons, income needs, and financial situations. There are no cookie cutter investments nor financial plans. Go see someone that does this professionally.

I met with my dad's advisor last month at Merrill Lynch and all he wanted to talk about was me investing in American Funds he was pushing. The American Funds were probably alright and definitely a better choice than a high yield savings account that I have the money in now. I brought up Vanguard to him to seek his advice and opinion. He said he was able to put me in Vanguard but was still pushing AF so that told me he was getting more commission from AF and wasn't really interested in what might be best for the client.

This is the biggest reason I am having difficulty in deciding where to place this money plus it seems like the market is inflated right now. It has taken me all my life to get to where I am at now and this money has to last me the rest of my life so I am not interested in taking a big loss in the market. I am lucky in the fact that I have no debt such as college, cars, or house payments. Just the everyday living expenses like insurance, taxes, utilities, etc. Sometimes we are our worst enemy and fear is hard to overcome.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Before I say anything further, American Funds is a great manager. They manage money well, and have for a long, long time. They're easily one of the most respected fund families on the street. There are a few funds of theirs that I own personally and likely always will. There's nothing wrong with owning a portfolio of American Funds products.

That all said, they're not the cheapest to own, and Merrill is known as an American Funds shop. When you walk in the door at Merrill, you pretty much know that's the flavor you're going to get. You'll find a variation of this at all the big wirehouses. That aspect of the wirehouse environment was a huge catalyst in driving me and my partner independent many moons ago. If I'm going to get paid three times as much to sell an American Funds product (or insert other fund family name here), it makes it hard to be objective in my advice. That was the story at places like Merrill, Dean Witter, and Morgan Stanley. That story (plus the 60 hour work weeks) told me all I needed to know, very early on in my career, about why I wasn't cut out for life inside a wirehouse brokerage firm. Conflicts of interest in this business need to be eliminated if you're truly going to be the best advisor you can be for your clients - so that's what we set out to do by giving independent advice.

While I like what American Funds does, we can replicate any of it with no-loads and lower cost exchange traded funds. Saving some of that expense off the top goes a long way toward adding value to that portfolio.

Again, I'd suggest talking to someone. Go sit down and talk with some independent advisors. They'll almost all visit with you for no charge just to hear what your situation is and let you know if/how they can help. Find someone who charges a fee so they get paid no matter what. Don't look for anyone that's 100% chasing commissions - those aren't advisors, they are salesmen. Ask them what their fiduciary responsibilities are to you as a client - if they squirm and act uneasy, make a mental note of that and check them off your prospective list. Find someone that listens and asks you questions. If all they do is talk about them during that visit, take them off your list. It's an interviewing process, for sure, and not everybody will be a fit.

Anyway, the stuff I highlighted in your quoted post are just the types of things you should be telling an advisor. All three of those sentences are significant in how your money should be managed, and they will have an impact on your retirement picture if fully considered.

So...anyhow...that's what I'd do if I were you. Sorry for droning on for 37 paragraphs.

Last edited by Floon Swenson; 08/15/18 03:04 PM. Reason: Apparently too stupid to spell "hear" correctly
Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12865001 08/15/18 04:00 PM
Fourjs Online Sick
Extreme Angler
Online Sick
Extreme Angler
My brother in law has used the same investment guy for years. He says the guy has done great for him but cant tell you how much better than an indexed mutual fund. He also cant tell you how much his guy charges him for his services.

A good friend retired 5 years ago. He took his lump sum pension and 401k and had an investment guy set up his retirement investments and income. I asked my friend how much commission he takes. He asked his guy and was told, its not that simple, kinda complicated. Couldnt give him a number which bothers my friend.

I had my company 401k with Vanguard. About 20 years ago, they offered a managed investment program where they would invest my 401k based on my age, risk tolerance, etc. They did an upfront change to my investments and for the next year deducted money each month from my account to manage my investments. However, they made no additional changes to my investments. I got tired of it and dropped that feature.

Each person needs to make a decision thats right for them

Re: Vanguard funds? [Re: cbag1] #12865638 08/16/18 12:37 AM
J
JCG57 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
You can do a heck of a lot worse than simply putting your retirement assets in the appropriate Vanguard Target Date Retirement Fund and your long-term non-retirement investments in a mix of Vanguard 500 Index Fund, a Vanguard international stock fund (developed markets), the Vanguard Emerging Markets Index Fund and a Vanguard long-term bond fund.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide