Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: losing fish on the frog [Re: blackhawk19] #12784701 06/08/18 12:45 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: blackhawk19
Heavy rod with braid. I like the Booyah Padcrusher. Keep your rod tip up on the retrieve. Once a blow up occurs, wait one second and make a gradual pull to make sure they are there. Then lay into them. I don’t recall losing a fish once they are hooked.

+1 I rarely lose a fish on a frog. Sometimes I jerk it away from them but once they are hooked I rarely lose them.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: losing fish on the frog [Re: montyb] #12784819 06/08/18 02:18 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I am no expert by any means. I do throw a frog a LOT and here are some observations that I have learned through my own fishing. I really studied guys like Rojas, Ish and Roumbanis that are frog guys as well. Here are my thoughts.

1. Use the right gear for the right situation. If you are throwing to more open water and light cover you don't need a 7' 6" H power rod. You will get more action out of the frog and enjoy fishing it a lot more and for a lot longer if you choose something a tad lighter to throw. A good fast retrieve reel and 40-60lb braid will cover the bases. In truly heavy cover etc by all means go heavier on your gear. Look at the signature frog rods from the best frog anglers. VERY few are whuppin' sticks.

2. Some styles/designs of frogs are simply better than others. A good hook that is strong and sharp is critical. I prefer to get the biggest hook in a frog I can use. Head design, profile at rest etc all play a big part of it. The most overlooked thing I think is that there are truly differences in the softness of frogs of different colors even in the same brand. For instance black tends to be firmer etc and you will miss more fish because they do not compress as easy as other colors. This is something I have picked up on no matter the brand. I think its because much like soft plastics in that when pouring black it heats up faster and stays hotter longer so I think that increases the hardness a bit over other colors. Darker colors in general are like this.
Sounds crazy but I like to test each frog I buy out of the package by squeezing it. I want it to compress easy but return to form with out a huge lag. I want the air to come out cleanly and quickly when I squeeze it. I pick the ones that have that "feel" to me. Maybe I fish them harder but I think it helps your hookup ratio a lot.

3. I trim the legs as needed and rarely if ever bend out hooks. To me all that does is make you hang up more if throwing around cover. Buy a good frog to start with. They are not all created equally. There are affordable brands that are built very well so no need to think you have to spend $15.00 on a frog unless you just want to. Some are worth $15.00 but are not a necessity.

4. Popping frogs do not come through pads and mats as easy as regular frogs. Use popping frogs in more open water type stuff or large holes in mats.

5. A frog works all day even in summer and bright skies. Much like a jig if you want to see your catch rates go up on a frog you gotta commit to it and throw it more than a few casts at first light. Frogs are super versatile, great skipped under docks, worked on points, along rip rap etc. Also I will probably get torched for this but that whole ALWAYS wait and count to three stuff before you set the hook will lose you a lot of fish. Every day and every lake is different. Sometimes you gotta light them up as soon as you see the bite and other times you have to wait. Start each trip with an open mind in that regard.
Also do not fool around with one while reeling it in. Keep pressure on them and grind them in as fast as you can. The sheer design of a frog will cause the bait to be easily thrown after a bass is hooked. Its not the time to let them jump and such. Grind that sucker in so fast he will need a neck brace afterwards.

I keep 2-3 frog rods rigged up this time of year and usually use them all. My overall favorite way to fish. Just something about it that gets to me. Once you catch a DD or an over on Fork on a frog you will be hooked.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. It is just works for me and its just free advice. I am no expert.

Re: losing fish on the frog [Re: montyb] #12784981 06/08/18 04:23 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Agreed, never bend the hooks, use both poppers and conventional including ribbit style. Use proper gear

Re: losing fish on the frog [Re: montyb] #12784986 06/08/18 04:26 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
one thing I haven't seen mentioned as well.....set the hook swinging straight UP. You want those hooks to penetrate the top of the mouth....

Re: losing fish on the frog [Re: musiclife_7] #12784995 06/08/18 04:31 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted By: musiclife_7
one thing I haven't seen mentioned as well.....set the hook swinging straight UP. You want those hooks to penetrate the top of the mouth....

Well that's really up to fish position and how he eats it. They typically either have or they don't. Alot of times I just swing on them to the right, not necessarily straight up

Re: losing fish on the frog [Re: Bass&More] #12785016 06/08/18 04:59 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bass&More
Lots of good frog baits out there. I mainly use the Academy H2O frogs in black and yellow and will trim the leg/ streamers down to 1 1/4" inches that helps with some of the short strikers thrown on a heavy action 7" rod, revo winch spooled with 30+ pound braid. Cadence and retrieve come into play as well and when you feel the fish, set the hook. peep

That gear ratio is not helping u in any way

Re: losing fish on the frog [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12785020 06/08/18 05:01 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Originally Posted By: musiclife_7

Well that's really up to fish position and how he eats it. They typically either have or they don't. Alot of times I just swing on them to the right, not necessarily straight up

Just swing hard lol don’t bring out ur purse when frog fishing also I would let ur drag slip slightly allot of times the reason your loosing them is because ur actually tearing the hooks out the roof of their mouth. I see allot of frog fish that are hooked more that once because the hooks ripped free and found another spot to snag after the initial hookset

Re: losing fish on the frog [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #12785029 06/08/18 05:11 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Originally Posted By: Bass&More
Lots of good frog baits out there. I mainly use the Academy H2O frogs in black and yellow and will trim the leg/ streamers down to 1 1/4" inches that helps with some of the short strikers thrown on a heavy action 7" rod, revo winch spooled with 30+ pound braid. Cadence and retrieve come into play as well and when you feel the fish, set the hook. peep

That gear ratio is not helping u in any way

Thanks thumb for the advice Jake Shannon (Skeet4life). Do you have any Frog bite pictures to share with us popcorn peep

Last edited by Bass&More; 06/08/18 05:11 PM.
Re: losing fish on the frog [Re: montyb] #12785175 06/08/18 07:17 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
.....oh.....and yeah, the faster the reel, the better in frog fishing, but you may have the fastest hands in the west for all I know.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: losing fish on the frog [Re: montyb] #12785182 06/08/18 07:25 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Id say its all covered.

let them swim after taking it, they need to go down so you can set the hook, 3 seconds is good most of the time

65lb braid for me, the 65 cuts into itself less and floats better than lesser weights. I like the maxquatro by power pro.

Heavy 7 foot rod.

I catch a ton of frog fish and seldom lose any. I like the frogs with single hook the best but will use about anything, I always open the hooks up a little.

To time setting the hook I straighten my arms all the way out and then reel down the slack. straightening my arms is giving them line to go down with the frog.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide