Print Thread
Hooked on Crappie #12773027 05/29/18 04:03 PM
F
Fishn_man Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
F
So I have been on this forum for a long time, but I hang out in the bass fishing section and the off topic area.

I have never truly crappie fished, but this weekend we decided to give it a try. Scanned around and found some brush piles and we had a blast. Caught some nice crappie and probably cleaned 30ish for our first try. So now we are sort of hooked.

Can someone point me to some good websites for novice crappie fishermen so I can start boning up on how to do this. I think my wife is going to insist on crappie fishing now, so I guess I better learn a little more.

Thanks

Re: Hooked on Crappie [Re: Fishn_man] #12773036 05/29/18 04:13 PM
C
Cowboytex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
If you join CAT (Crappie Anglers of Texas) they have seminars each month which they record and upload to the website. Joining grants you access to the archived seminars which are generally very informative especially for novice crappie fishermen. Good luck and welcome to the sickness!

Re: Hooked on Crappie [Re: Fishn_man] #12773055 05/29/18 04:42 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Youtube and this forum are also good learning tools.

Re: Hooked on Crappie [Re: Fishn_man] #12773131 05/29/18 05:54 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Welcome to the dark side... roflmao

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Hooked on Crappie [Re: Fishn_man] #12773205 05/29/18 06:54 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
One thing is that Crappie guys on here are more sharing than most other sites.
If you have questions you can usually get a decent answer on here. Except for actual GPS coords of
spots to fish, and even then a guy might send ya a PM to get ya started.
One of the things you can do is take a guide trip on your favorite lake. Not only will you learn
a few spots, you'll improve your techniques, and get some crappie for the table. Welcome.
hooked

Re: Hooked on Crappie [Re: Fishn_man] #12773222 05/29/18 07:03 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Welcome to the thump (if you're a jig fisherman). As mentioned, this forum and CAT are great places for info. You can search through the previous posts this year and get quite a lot of info.
You're also close to a good crappie lake and I'd consider a guide trip with Jerry Hancock to give you plenty of pointers on the how too. Look for Hancock's Guide Service in this forum and you can give him a call or send a PM. Calling is probably quicker.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Hooked on Crappie [Re: Fishn_man] #12773342 05/29/18 08:48 PM
Three Nails Guide Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Welcome cheers

Mark Standridge
East Texas Crappie Guide
Fork Palestine
www.threenailsguide.com
www.facebook.com/threenailsguide
Re: Hooked on Crappie [Re: Fishn_man] #12773756 05/30/18 05:02 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Fishn_man
So I have been on this forum for a long time, but I hang out in the bass fishing section and the off topic area.

I have never truly crappie fished, but this weekend we decided to give it a try. Scanned around and found some brush piles and we had a blast. Caught some nice crappie and probably cleaned 30ish for our first try. So now we are sort of hooked.

Can someone point me to some good websites for novice crappie fishermen so I can start boning up on how to do this. I think my wife is going to insist on crappie fishing now, so I guess I better learn a little more.

Thanks

Women CAN get hooked on crappie fishing....Mine got hooked on EATING crappie, so I became a crappie fisherman, exclusively (or as close as you can get to it).

You can ask a question about something you don’t understand, someone will give you an answer. You can take a backseat trip with a crappie fisherman and learn while fishing. You can take a guide trip with dedicated crappie guides, and ask questions. You can take learning trips with bait manufacturers, and learn how to fish their bait effectively. You can join CAT, go to crappie talk seminars and maybe work your way into tourney fishing. All these things help, but nothing beats time on the water, specifically targeting these gamefish.

I would suggest getting some sensitive crappie quality rods/reels.

We tend to be a good hearted bunch, and will pick and jab at our buddies, in good natured fun. There are many techniques that will carry over from chasing the ditch pickles, so you just need to learn to find crappie instead of bass. Look for that mythical 55 gallon drum filled with crappie, or the plum tree. GET togethers are fun places to meet and greet other crappie fishermen. Lots of good crappie fishermen haunt these halls, and will endeavor to help you become an accomplished crappie fisherman, regardless of the techniques you employ. My last parting shot...when Ernest Paty speaks...LISTEN...he has forgot more than most will ever know.

Welcome in from the dark side!

Re: Hooked on Crappie [Re: Fishn_man] #12778585 06/03/18 03:54 PM
S
SlabNSteve Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Fishn_man

Thanks

That's exactly what happened to me early this spring. The wife would not go fishing with me, because she said I was way to technical and wasn't interested in following suit.

Now she's like a puppy waiting to go outside to play, anytime we get a chance.

I'm here to learn also. Don't let that crapiecat guy fool you, he is full of knowledge, and is quick to share.

Welcome!!!

Last edited by SlabNSteve; 06/03/18 03:56 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide