Forums59
Topics1,039,371
Posts13,963,486
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: Skeeter man ZX225] #12746464 05/07/18 07:12 PM
D
dflipper Offline
Angler
Angler
D
This tournament was the first time we had ever been there. We are shallow water fishermen more than anything growing up on lake Livingston. We went into this tournament determined to make the fish bite in shallow water....luckily for us they were there. We had 20.51 and my brother and his partner had 23.99. The fish seemed to be in all stages. Most of the fish we caught were spawned out but were guarding fry. There was some sight fishing involved and also some blind casting to areas in the shallow sticks ( we call them senea beans where we come from) with some kind of different structure in them. Usually a stump, lay down, rock, etc. The fishing was absolutely awesome on Friday and exceptional on Saturday. You guys have an amazing fishery that sets up just the way we like to fish. All in all I can't wait to get back.

"Money well spent Jake, both times!!!" -Gus McCray
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: adam_p] #12748617 05/09/18 05:38 AM
Ted Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: adam_p
We ran all over the lake to catch ours. High percentage spot fishing basically. We didn't catch a fish until 9 and culled a 16incher for a 7lber at 3. 8 bites total. No single area produced more than 1 keeper.

They were chomping Friday. We shook off about a dozen and never hit our good stuff. Only checked what I considered backup water. Never caught a fish were we shook them off Friday.

great job guys!

we were the only boat in the top5 that had an early weigh time, sounds like there was a late bite to be had. our days sound similar, although we didn't run all over; we focused on 1 primary area, and upgraded in a couple of other spots that we marked on friday; we didn't fish any of them on friday, we were just looking for cover/structure/depth that matched our primary. We only had 7 bites all day, 1 was an under, so we culled 1. Well thats not true, i caught a drum early, so 8 bites. I would call it a super tough day of fishing, but a really good day at the same time. crazy lake.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: dflipper] #12748619 05/09/18 05:42 AM
Ted Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: dflipper
This tournament was the first time we had ever been there. We are shallow water fishermen more than anything growing up on lake Livingston. We went into this tournament determined to make the fish bite in shallow water....luckily for us they were there. We had 20.51 and my brother and his partner had 23.99. The fish seemed to be in all stages. Most of the fish we caught were spawned out but were guarding fry. There was some sight fishing involved and also some blind casting to areas in the shallow sticks ( we call them senea beans where we come from) with some kind of different structure in them. Usually a stump, lay down, rock, etc. The fishing was absolutely awesome on Friday and exceptional on Saturday. You guys have an amazing fishery that sets up just the way we like to fish. All in all I can't wait to get back.

good job! There was several SE Tex guys did well there, which is impressive, it is fishing pretty tough.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: Skeeter man ZX225] #12748655 05/09/18 10:58 AM
D
dflipper Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Thank you! The trinity river seems to be good to us. We found them in two primary creeks. We also went to two others and never got a bite Friday. It worked out, we fished real slow. Pretty much the only way we could get bit. It was a lot of fun.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: dflipper] #12748871 05/09/18 02:14 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I noticed that several of the really good locals did not do as well as I would have expected, I think sometimes knowing a lake too well can come back to haunt you, if the bite is tough you tend to want to run around to all the areas you know so well.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: Ted Martin] #12749246 05/09/18 06:16 PM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ted Martin
We ran all over the lake to catch ours. High percentage spot fishing basically. We didn't catch a fish until 9 and culled a 16incher for a 7lber at 3. 8 bites total. No single area produced more than 1 keeper.

They were chomping Friday. We shook off about a dozen and never hit our good stuff. Only checked what I considered backup water. Never caught a fish were we shook them off Friday.

great job guys!

we were the only boat in the top5 that had an early weigh time, sounds like there was a late bite to be had. our days sound similar, although we didn't run all over; we focused on 1 primary area, and upgraded in a couple of other spots that we marked on friday; we didn't fish any of them on friday, we were just looking for cover/structure/depth that matched our primary. We only had 7 bites all day, 1 was an under, so we culled 1. Well thats not true, i caught a drum early, so 8 bites. I would call it a super tough day of fishing, but a really good day at the same time. crazy lake.

Thanks, 95% of my fishing is done in the evenings so I rarely get on a morning deal. I was worried somebody would get on a shad spawn bite and blow it out.

Happycamper, the fish bit for those guys on Friday and I know Zac and Barrett weren't setting the hook. I knew there was a chance one of them would bust 30 but RR was being typical RR and the fish didn't bite for them 2 days in a row.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: Skeeter man ZX225] #12749253 05/09/18 06:18 PM
Ted Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

I was worried somebody would get on a shad spawn bite and blow it out.

we saw a major shad spawn, acres and acres of water boiling with bait, and nothing eating them but birds.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: Skeeter man ZX225] #12749564 05/09/18 09:50 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Not typically one of these regular guys that posts all over social media and wins practice all the time but I will say this. On Friday I went out for and hour and a half and shook off BIG bites every place I stopped. All big fish producing areas. My buddy Zach Parker was out as well (unarguably the best stick on RR by a long shot) shook off 20 big bites and I shook off almost 15. I barely slept that night thinking this was my tournament. Boy was I wrong.... caught may weight the first 25 min of the day and the fish couldn't have shut down more for me. Good job Adam and Chris.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: Barrett] #12749670 05/09/18 11:23 PM
i-Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Barrett
Not typically one of these regular guys that posts all over social media and wins practice all the time but I will say this. On Friday I went out for and hour and a half and shook off BIG bites every place I stopped. All big fish producing areas. My buddy Zach Parker was out as well (unarguably the best stick on RR by a long shot) shook off 20 big bites and I shook off almost 15. I barely slept that night thinking this was my tournament. Boy was I wrong.... caught may weight the first 25 min of the day and the fish couldn't have shut down more for me. Good job Adam and Chris.

Ouch. Fishing can be a cruel mistress.

If you can't find em wind em.
Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: Skeeter man ZX225] #12749815 05/10/18 01:19 AM
D
dflipper Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Barret I feel for you. I've been in your shoes more times then I want to remember. I'm not the guy that takes to social media....hell I don't even have a Facebook. I have 300 posts here in 8 years. I was just saying how great of a fishery y'all have. Sucks man I know how it is.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! [Re: i-Fish] #12749894 05/10/18 02:25 AM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: i-Fish
Originally Posted By: Barrett

Ouch. Fishing can be a cruel mistress.

Happened to us last before TTO. I had never been more confident going into any tournament. We caught 11lbs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide