Texas Fishing Forum

Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW!

Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 02:10 AM

TTT had 18 teams with 20 plus lb bags today. 28.70 lbs took the win, this lake is really showing off the past few weeks.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 03:41 AM

We weren't in the tourney but fished amongst them. Saw a boat that was smoking pretty bad does anyone know what happened?
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 04:46 AM

I REALLY need to move, thats like 2 or 3 winning weights here in CO.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 04:54 AM

the weights sound super, and they are. but fishing was tough. we managed to bring in a nice limit but felt like we took a beating it was so slow. 7 bites today. 5 bites last saturday in TTO. The per bite average was really high, but dang.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Ted Martin
the weights sound super, and they are. but fishing was tough. we managed to bring in a nice limit but felt like we took a beating it was so slow. 7 bites today. 5 bites last saturday in TTO. The per bite average was really high, but dang.

THIS. That is Ray Roberts in a nutshell. You have to know where the good fish are and even then they aren’t stacked together. Very challening lake before May and after July.
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 12:23 PM

14 teams with 20+ lb bags and one of them had a penalty so 13 really. still a good day for those guy's.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 02:28 PM

We ran all over the lake to catch ours. High percentage spot fishing basically. We didn't catch a fish until 9 and culled a 16incher for a 7lber at 3. 8 bites total. No single area produced more than 1 keeper.

They were chomping Friday. We shook off about a dozen and never hit our good stuff. Only checked what I considered backup water. Never caught a fish were we shook them off Friday.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: adam_p
We ran all over the lake to catch ours. High percentage spot fishing basically. We didn't catch a fish until 9 and culled a 16incher for a 7lber at 3. 8 bites total. No single area produced more than 1 keeper.

They were chomping Friday. We shook off about a dozen and never hit our good stuff. Only checked what I considered backup water. Never caught a fish were we shook them off Friday.

We had a great day but from noon to 3 we only had one bite and missed that fish, 3 oclock was the ticket, we caught a 6 and a 7 only a couple minutes apart, congrats to you guys, I knew i should have erased those way points from that old Triton of mine that you bought several years ago, lol
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 02:52 PM

Nice job Roger placing second. We could not get #5 and ended up 15.46 with 4 fish. bang
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassdeer
one of them had a penalty so 13 really.

The bag still weighed over 20 wink

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
Nice job Roger placing second. We could not get #5 and ended up 15.46 with 4 fish. bang

Thanks, we just had a couple things go right that could have gone wrong and made a good decision late in the day. Ya'll just needed a kicker to be up high on the board.
Posted By: junk baits

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish

THIS. That is Ray Roberts in a nutshell. You have to know where the good fish are and even then they aren’t stacked together. Very challenging lake before May and after
July.

I fish the lake almost every weekend and this is 100 percent correct.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/06/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: formula462
We weren't in the tourney but fished amongst them. Saw a boat that was smoking pretty bad does anyone know what happened?

Was it a Ranger? When I got to the lake a guy had his Ranger on the trailer and said that it had gone into guardian mode and he had to finally use the trolling motor to get back to the ramp and call a friend for another boat to fish the tournament.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/07/18 02:59 AM

I don't know we were too far away. But it was smoking like it was on fire. What does that mode do

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/07/18 03:08 AM

I saw what looked like that Toledo Bend wrapped boat being towed. It might have been a different boat though.
Posted By: dflipper

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/07/18 07:12 PM

This tournament was the first time we had ever been there. We are shallow water fishermen more than anything growing up on lake Livingston. We went into this tournament determined to make the fish bite in shallow water....luckily for us they were there. We had 20.51 and my brother and his partner had 23.99. The fish seemed to be in all stages. Most of the fish we caught were spawned out but were guarding fry. There was some sight fishing involved and also some blind casting to areas in the shallow sticks ( we call them senea beans where we come from) with some kind of different structure in them. Usually a stump, lay down, rock, etc. The fishing was absolutely awesome on Friday and exceptional on Saturday. You guys have an amazing fishery that sets up just the way we like to fish. All in all I can't wait to get back.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/09/18 05:38 AM

great job guys!

we were the only boat in the top5 that had an early weigh time, sounds like there was a late bite to be had. our days sound similar, although we didn't run all over; we focused on 1 primary area, and upgraded in a couple of other spots that we marked on friday; we didn't fish any of them on friday, we were just looking for cover/structure/depth that matched our primary. We only had 7 bites all day, 1 was an under, so we culled 1. Well thats not true, i caught a drum early, so 8 bites. I would call it a super tough day of fishing, but a really good day at the same time. crazy lake.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/09/18 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: dflipper
This tournament was the first time we had ever been there. We are shallow water fishermen more than anything growing up on lake Livingston. We went into this tournament determined to make the fish bite in shallow water....luckily for us they were there. We had 20.51 and my brother and his partner had 23.99. The fish seemed to be in all stages. Most of the fish we caught were spawned out but were guarding fry. There was some sight fishing involved and also some blind casting to areas in the shallow sticks ( we call them senea beans where we come from) with some kind of different structure in them. Usually a stump, lay down, rock, etc. The fishing was absolutely awesome on Friday and exceptional on Saturday. You guys have an amazing fishery that sets up just the way we like to fish. All in all I can't wait to get back.

good job! There was several SE Tex guys did well there, which is impressive, it is fishing pretty tough.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/09/18 10:58 AM

Thank you! The trinity river seems to be good to us. We found them in two primary creeks. We also went to two others and never got a bite Friday. It worked out, we fished real slow. Pretty much the only way we could get bit. It was a lot of fun.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/09/18 02:14 PM

I noticed that several of the really good locals did not do as well as I would have expected, I think sometimes knowing a lake too well can come back to haunt you, if the bite is tough you tend to want to run around to all the areas you know so well.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/09/18 06:16 PM

great job guys!

we were the only boat in the top5 that had an early weigh time, sounds like there was a late bite to be had. our days sound similar, although we didn't run all over; we focused on 1 primary area, and upgraded in a couple of other spots that we marked on friday; we didn't fish any of them on friday, we were just looking for cover/structure/depth that matched our primary. We only had 7 bites all day, 1 was an under, so we culled 1. Well thats not true, i caught a drum early, so 8 bites. I would call it a super tough day of fishing, but a really good day at the same time. crazy lake.

Thanks, 95% of my fishing is done in the evenings so I rarely get on a morning deal. I was worried somebody would get on a shad spawn bite and blow it out.

Happycamper, the fish bit for those guys on Friday and I know Zac and Barrett weren't setting the hook. I knew there was a chance one of them would bust 30 but RR was being typical RR and the fish didn't bite for them 2 days in a row.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/09/18 06:18 PM

I was worried somebody would get on a shad spawn bite and blow it out.

we saw a major shad spawn, acres and acres of water boiling with bait, and nothing eating them but birds.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/09/18 09:50 PM

Not typically one of these regular guys that posts all over social media and wins practice all the time but I will say this. On Friday I went out for and hour and a half and shook off BIG bites every place I stopped. All big fish producing areas. My buddy Zach Parker was out as well (unarguably the best stick on RR by a long shot) shook off 20 big bites and I shook off almost 15. I barely slept that night thinking this was my tournament. Boy was I wrong.... caught may weight the first 25 min of the day and the fish couldn't have shut down more for me. Good job Adam and Chris.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/09/18 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Barrett
Not typically one of these regular guys that posts all over social media and wins practice all the time but I will say this. On Friday I went out for and hour and a half and shook off BIG bites every place I stopped. All big fish producing areas. My buddy Zach Parker was out as well (unarguably the best stick on RR by a long shot) shook off 20 big bites and I shook off almost 15. I barely slept that night thinking this was my tournament. Boy was I wrong.... caught may weight the first 25 min of the day and the fish couldn't have shut down more for me. Good job Adam and Chris.

Ouch. Fishing can be a cruel mistress.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/10/18 01:19 AM

Barret I feel for you. I've been in your shoes more times then I want to remember. I'm not the guy that takes to social media....hell I don't even have a Facebook. I have 300 posts here in 8 years. I was just saying how great of a fishery y'all have. Sucks man I know how it is.

Re: Texas Team Trail Ray Roberts WOW! - 05/10/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish
Originally Posted By: Barrett

Ouch. Fishing can be a cruel mistress.

Happened to us last before TTO. I had never been more confident going into any tournament. We caught 11lbs.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum