Forums59
Topics1,039,393
Posts13,963,835
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708672 04/09/18 01:29 AM
I
Ian Fellenbaum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
A tournament truly worthy of a particiapation trophy. Glad everyone was safe.

STORAGE CONTAINERS TO GO
Sales-Rentals-Rent to Own
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Ian Fellenbaum] #12708687 04/09/18 01:40 AM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum
You DFW metro guys are so cute with your little tales from the tournament posts!!

Last edited by Neches; 04/09/18 01:50 AM.
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Bassin2win] #12708705 04/09/18 01:52 AM
T
teambassmanager Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Bassin2win
My partner and I launched out of Johnson. Got there about 6 and to our surprise, the ramp had a line about 7 or 8 boats deep. We get the boat ready while were waiting our turn in line and we just chill in the truck until its our turn. My buddy uses the restroom and says, dude, nobody is even using the ramp! Everyone is just staged. So we get out of line and wouldnt you know it, ramp has nobody using it. We launch with no problems.We run to our first spot heading north out of Johnson Branch. As soon as we turned that corner heading north, I instantly became Sig Hansen on an episode of the deadliest catch, yelling BIG WAVE, BIG WAVE, and blowing my horn for no damn reason! Our first spot boated us no fish but we got to see a boat try and get itself into a pond that that had an entrance that was in less then a foot of water. They used the big motor to try and bulldoze themselves through the damn and all we could see was a big rooster tail rocket into the air. Ever [censored] up wind? Thats what they probably had felt like because they were soaked after that fiasco! Headed to our second spot in Indian but abandoned that when we had to troll through the wood because of all the steam coming off the water and the wind splashing water on us. It was just crazy! Said screw it and headed south towards some rocky points that were on north facing banks. Finally hooked up with a 13 1/2 inch spot. We kept it because it was our first fish and there is no size limit on spots. Then my buddy hooks a 2 1/2-3# on a finesse jig but he got so excited that he went to flip it in the boat and he literally flipped it to the other side back into the water! I dropped my rod to and netted it before it got off. Looked around for my rod...it was in the water. Man I was glad nobody was around because you would have thought the circus was in town! Had a great time after all that because. 1. We never game up. 2. We caught fish in the worst weather conditions and 3. We can always look back and say, remember that time we were dumb enough to fish in that crazy weather! Haha good times!

Maybe nobody was launching because the official launch time was 7AM popcorn

Bass Manager Staff 🎣
Live Action 24/7 🎥
⬇️⬇️ SIGN UP FREE ⬇️⬇️
"ᴀ sᴏᴄɪᴀʟ ɴᴇᴛᴡᴏʀᴋ ғᴏʀ
 ᴀᴠɪᴅ ʙᴀss ғɪsʜᴇʀᴍᴇɴ"
www.bassmanager.com
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: BigHead248] #12708706 04/09/18 01:56 AM
T
tejasbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Reminds me of Farmers Insurance Open on Whitney several years ago. Front blowing through and F250 was rocking on the boat ramp with 30+ mph north wind and a ton of rain. 2nd tournament with my partner and it's a trailering event with first cast 45 min before daylight. He asked what should we do. I said dump this bad boy and let's go fishing. He caught 4 of the 5 fish that day and we won it. About 1:00PM, he's pulling out a towel from the rod box, cutting it into strips and wrapping his feet. An hour later he catches the last fish, our kicker. Johnny Matthews, way to man up...

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: teambassmanager] #12708735 04/09/18 02:27 AM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dock30tv
Originally Posted By: Bassin2win
My partner and I launched out of Johnson. Got there about 6 and to our surprise, the ramp had a line about 7 or 8 boats deep. We get the boat ready while were waiting our turn in line and we just chill in the truck until its our turn. My buddy uses the restroom and says, dude, nobody is even using the ramp! Everyone is just staged. So we get out of line and wouldnt you know it, ramp has nobody using it. We launch with no problems.We run to our first spot heading north out of Johnson Branch. As soon as we turned that corner heading north, I instantly became Sig Hansen on an episode of the deadliest catch, yelling BIG WAVE, BIG WAVE, and blowing my horn for no damn reason! Our first spot boated us no fish but we got to see a boat try and get itself into a pond that that had an entrance that was in less then a foot of water. They used the big motor to try and bulldoze themselves through the damn and all we could see was a big rooster tail rocket into the air. Ever [censored] up wind? Thats what they probably had felt like because they were soaked after that fiasco! Headed to our second spot in Indian but abandoned that when we had to troll through the wood because of all the steam coming off the water and the wind splashing water on us. It was just crazy! Said screw it and headed south towards some rocky points that were on north facing banks. Finally hooked up with a 13 1/2 inch spot. We kept it because it was our first fish and there is no size limit on spots. Then my buddy hooks a 2 1/2-3# on a finesse jig but he got so excited that he went to flip it in the boat and he literally flipped it to the other side back into the water! I dropped my rod to and netted it before it got off. Looked around for my rod...it was in the water. Man I was glad nobody was around because you would have thought the circus was in town! Had a great time after all that because. 1. We never game up. 2. We caught fish in the worst weather conditions and 3. We can always look back and say, remember that time we were dumb enough to fish in that crazy weather! Haha good times!

Maybe nobody was launching because the official launch time was 7AM popcorn

Not correct. You just couldnt leave the ramp area until 7...

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Barrett] #12708758 04/09/18 02:45 AM
B
Bassin2win Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Spot on Barrett. Put your popcorn away dock30 or were you the guy holding up the line? stir

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708831 04/09/18 04:57 AM
Jons3825 Offline
" Mod Alert"
" Mod Alert"
It was 07:00 take off and 08:00 first cast. You could dump anytime as long as you wanted to be a bobber in the staging area in the cold.

[Linked Image]
PM me for diving info or for recovery quote's.
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Originally Posted by Brad
I will be back. I'm never truly gone
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708876 04/09/18 11:00 AM
W
whale Offline
Angler
Angler
W
My hat's off to anyone who braved this weather!!s Cahones as big as a buffalo!

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Neches] #12708996 04/09/18 01:16 PM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Neches
Originally Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum
You DFW metro guys are so cute with your little tales from the tournament posts!!

Coming from a boy in his race car bed wearing his Batman PJ's

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708999 04/09/18 01:17 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
My opinion was it was way too dangerous to be out there on a boat. It was exactly about how I figured it would be. Just glad nobody got hurt. I wont put myself in that position again.

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Barrett] #12709022 04/09/18 01:30 PM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
One of the local game wardens told me they had three boats ready to go in case any of the foolish anglers needed a lift in... atleast they were prepared

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Barrett] #12709026 04/09/18 01:31 PM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Barrett
My opinion was it was way too dangerous to be out there on a boat. It was exactly about how I figured it would be. Just glad nobody got hurt. I wont put myself in that position again.

It was cold and windy but I have been in a lot worse numerous of times. Tawakoni and Rayburn come to mind

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12709050 04/09/18 01:44 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I guess the reason I feel like its different was the limited number of ramps to launch out of the wind. Dont those lakes have better and more protected ramps? Yea buck was the best ramp but not everyone knows how to safely run timber out there. I dont know how you fished that deal if you didnt have PPs, talons or a 20 foot boat. I imagine a lot of the guys who dropped out were in smaller boats. Its one and done now. A story Ill always remember! I also heard about noon in PP there was a pretty good beer drinking party at one of the local places. My buddy said about 20 boats in the parking lot at lunch. Sounds like guys much smarter then most of us. roflmao

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12709090 04/09/18 02:07 PM
C
Chris G Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
We launched at State Park. Obviously it's completely protected from the North wind. We decided to park over on the West side of the lot and watch the guys that were leaving the ramp at 7:00 and beyond. We saw at least 2 boat turn around and decide they weren't making that run after all. We had both agreed that we would wait until closer to first cast to launch since we obviously weren't heading up North which is where we had practiced the prior 2 weeks with some great success. We hit the State Park area for about 2 hours and had boated 2 fish, with 1 small keeper. Decided to run to Sand since we had caught some good ones in there in practice as well. That ride occurred probably during the peak waves and cold. I had on my rain gear and was covered from head to toe including my Save Phace mask. I didn't think water could get in, but it did. So my entire upper body was wet by the time we got into Sand. That was the coldest I have ever been during a tournament and had my partner said, "you want to head in?", I would have said YES! He didn't and we pushed on but never got the quality bites. Only had 4 fish for 8.28 but as others had mentioned we felt good about finishing out the day. Just tired of damn weather like this on tourneys after weeks of solid practice where the smallest best 5 we had was probably 21# just like many others I'm sure.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Ranger1] #12709270 04/09/18 03:55 PM
TBassYates Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ranger1
Originally Posted By: Barrett
My opinion was it was way too dangerous to be out there on a boat. It was exactly about how I figured it would be. Just glad nobody got hurt. I won’t put myself in that position again.

It was cold and windy but I have been in a lot worse numerous of times. Tawakoni and Rayburn come to mind

You got that right. Running from Harvey and Black Forest on Rayburn back to Twin Dykes with 6 footers and bigger made Ray Roberts seem like a picnic on Saturday. Got Saturday coming up on Tawakoni with 20+ mph winds forecast and I can't wait to go fishing. I don't get it, I know I must be crazy.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide