Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts #12708268 04/08/18 07:34 PM
Champion1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
WOW it was cold!! That first run to our spot was brutal but the Basscat got us there easily! Heard some guys arguing at the ramp about whether they should go home or not, that was a first! Caught a 4 pounder the first 15 minutes we were there and then my partner caught a keeper a few minutes later and we thought we were on them. 6 hours later we caught a 2 pounder and that was all the bites we got! My area I found in practice that was loaded had 2 foot waves blowing into it so that was out. Threw our fish back and turned the heater in the truck to ROAST and headed home! Whew!

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708270 04/08/18 07:37 PM
Champion1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Lets hear your stories guys!

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708289 04/08/18 07:57 PM
T
teambassmanager Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
This was the launch ramp at Jordan Park where I believe 12 of us managed to stay alive and get out there to compete. I wouldn't recommend this type of tournament and it's weather for any non experienced boater or beginner fisherman. It was a miserable day in all, I had all my layers on which was all good until we speared a wave and it shot down the top portion (neckline) and drenched my protected layers at 8:30 AM in 30 degree weather (I was sure I was going to get pretty sick). We had caught 3 lbs. of fish all day and started to get on a bite later in the day (but it was already over by that time). We also had to take hand warming breaks every 3 casts in a nest of hand warmers just to manage. Next time half the field drops out or the vets warn about this type of environment I will take their advice and keep my @$$ at home. Congrats to the people who managed to cash a check (especially the 21 lbs close call in oz between 1st and 2nd) <-- that would of hurt me.

Bass Manager Staff 🎣
Live Action 24/7 🎥
⬇️⬇️ SIGN UP FREE ⬇️⬇️
"ᴀ sᴏᴄɪᴀʟ ɴᴇᴛᴡᴏʀᴋ ғᴏʀ
 ᴀᴠɪᴅ ʙᴀss ғɪsʜᴇʀᴍᴇɴ"
www.bassmanager.com
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708414 04/08/18 09:39 PM
M
mudd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Think I would of found another ramp lol

93 Ranger 482vs
95 Bullet 20cc

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: mudd] #12708436 04/08/18 10:05 PM
B
Brutaldudeski Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: mudd
Think I would of found another ramp lol

But Ray Bob only has 6 other nice boat ramps to choose from.

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708493 04/08/18 10:45 PM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Launched at Jordan with the rest of the 15-20 other brave souls. It was crazy how big the waves were. Took two good ones over the back when my partner dropped me in. It was interesting for sure. Saw quite a few guys turn around for another ramp. We prob should have too. Had the bites to do well. It was just hard for us to fish clean in 40 mph gusts until 11. We were very cold all day. Fished another tournament out there today and I have never been less motivated both physically and mentally to get out of bed this morning.

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708533 04/08/18 11:12 PM
B
Bassin2win Offline
Angler
Angler
B
My partner and I launched out of Johnson. Got there about 6 and to our surprise, the ramp had a line about 7 or 8 boats deep. We get the boat ready while were waiting our turn in line and we just chill in the truck until its our turn. My buddy uses the restroom and says, dude, nobody is even using the ramp! Everyone is just staged. So we get out of line and wouldnt you know it, ramp has nobody using it. We launch with no problems.We run to our first spot heading north out of Johnson Branch. As soon as we turned that corner heading north, I instantly became Sig Hansen on an episode of the deadliest catch, yelling BIG WAVE, BIG WAVE, and blowing my horn for no damn reason! Our first spot boated us no fish but we got to see a boat try and get itself into a pond that that had an entrance that was in less then a foot of water. They used the big motor to try and bulldoze themselves through the damn and all we could see was a big rooster tail rocket into the air. Ever [censored] up wind? Thats what they probably had felt like because they were soaked after that fiasco! Headed to our second spot in Indian but abandoned that when we had to troll through the wood because of all the steam coming off the water and the wind splashing water on us. It was just crazy! Said screw it and headed south towards some rocky points that were on north facing banks. Finally hooked up with a 13 1/2 inch spot. We kept it because it was our first fish and there is no size limit on spots. Then my buddy hooks a 2 1/2-3# on a finesse jig but he got so excited that he went to flip it in the boat and he literally flipped it to the other side back into the water! I dropped my rod to and netted it before it got off. Looked around for my rod...it was in the water. Man I was glad nobody was around because you would have thought the circus was in town! Had a great time after all that because. 1. We never game up. 2. We caught fish in the worst weather conditions and 3. We can always look back and say, remember that time we were dumb enough to fish in that crazy weather! Haha good times!

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Bassin2win] #12708545 04/08/18 11:25 PM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bassin2win
My partner and I launched out of Johnson. Got there about 6 and to our surprise, the ramp had a line about 7 or 8 boats deep. We get the boat ready while were waiting our turn in line and we just chill in the truck until its our turn. My buddy uses the restroom and says, dude, nobody is even using the ramp! Everyone is just staged. So we get out of line and wouldnt you know it, ramp has nobody using it. We launch with no problems.We run to our first spot heading north out of Johnson Branch. As soon as we turned that corner heading north, I instantly became Sig Hansen on an episode of the deadliest catch, yelling BIG WAVE, BIG WAVE, and blowing my horn for no damn reason! Our first spot boated us no fish but we got to see a boat try and get itself into a pond that that had an entrance that was in less then a foot of water. They used the big motor to try and bulldoze themselves through the damn and all we could see was a big rooster tail rocket into the air. Ever [censored] up wind? Thats what they probably had felt like because they were soaked after that fiasco! Headed to our second spot in Indian but abandoned that when we had to troll through the wood because of all the steam coming off the water and the wind splashing water on us. It was just crazy! Said screw it and headed south towards some rocky points that were on north facing banks. Finally hooked up with a 13 1/2 inch spot. We kept it because it was our first fish and there is no size limit on spots. Then my buddy hooks a 2 1/2-3# on a finesse jig but he got so excited that he went to flip it in the boat and he literally flipped it to the other side back into the water! I dropped my rod to and netted it before it got off. Looked around for my rod...it was in the water. Man I was glad nobody was around because you would have thought the circus was in town! Had a great time after all that because. 1. We never game up. 2. We caught fish in the worst weather conditions and 3. We can always look back and say, remember that time we were dumb enough to fish in that crazy weather! Haha good times!

roflmao

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Bassin2win] #12708546 04/08/18 11:28 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Bassin2win

We made the Bering Sea reference a few times yesterday too. Actually it seemed we got wetter when we idled than when we were on pad...lol

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708549 04/08/18 11:32 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
flehan to everyone who fished it. I am glad ya'll made it out to fish another day ( Just not one like saturday).

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708571 04/08/18 11:51 PM
Jons3825 Offline
" Mod Alert"
" Mod Alert"
Did anyone find my spine as you turned north out of Johnson? I think it came out halfway to wolf.

[Linked Image]
PM me for diving info or for recovery quote's.
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Originally Posted by Brad
I will be back. I'm never truly gone
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708576 04/09/18 12:00 AM
buda13 Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
We launched at Johnson Branch right before 7am, put it on pad at 703 and headed north. Encountered some big water but nothing we couldn't handle. Worst wave we hit was by wolf island bacause of another boat shutting down messing up the rythem of the rollers, but never came close to spearing or anything. Thankfully arrived at our spot at 735 and had 25 min to regain feeling in my hands. Primary stretch was cooold, temp dropped 9 degrees from pre fishing. We had 6 keeper bites in there and boated 4 for 14.42, good enough for 18th place. I think we owe it all to the potato mix burritos from the Sportsman, took several breaks during the day to eat and keep our bodies fueled up. Also proud of my partner for having the mental toughness to push through. Location was everything, not running up there just wasn't an option for us. Only casualty was the stern light pole, it ejected somewhere along the way on that first run. Congrats to everyone that stuck it out and fished all day, whether you drew a check or not that deserves a pat on the back. Thanks to Basschamps for running such awesome tournaments, these folks are top notch.

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: buda13] #12708603 04/09/18 12:29 AM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Well we decided to run up and put in at Johnson to hopefully cut down on some of the misery. We turned the corner and there was a line like Squaw creek from everyone waiting for the last second I guess. 6:38 the line was not moving and we kept waiting for the first guy in line to make the move. He did not so finally the first guy pulls out and around then the second guy and then we said lets go. We were third and proceeded to drop the boat. About 6:57 we started to ease out waiting for someone to take the lead and here we go. We were the third on take off and we wound the kitty up and off we went and never let off the gas till we got almost to the bridge in the back of Indian. Boat and motor came out of water atleast a dozen times and felt like we were in a twin engine prop plane. It was getting western there for about 12-15 minutes. Not going to lie we froze our azz off and could not get to a hot shower fast enough. We only ended up with 11.45 with 4 fish and it felt like we fished for 24 hrs straight. We had 4 hours left to get that 5th fish and could not do it. Oh well going to move on to Tawakoni.

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708625 04/09/18 12:46 AM
Jons3825 Offline
" Mod Alert"
" Mod Alert"
And some doubt me for preordering 10 potato mix to go. roflmao

[Linked Image]
PM me for diving info or for recovery quote's.
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Originally Posted by Brad
I will be back. I'm never truly gone
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Ray Roberts [Re: Champion1] #12708664 04/09/18 01:21 AM
BigHead248 Offline
Angler
Angler
We put in at Johnson and had the same pucker factor when we rounded the point and saw what we were in for. We didnt know the lake too well and were relying on boat lanes wed obtained in practice by following other boats. Needless to say we didnt have a warm and fuzzy running north in those conditions. We took it slow going north which made it worse. Had we gone slightly faster we wouldnt have gotten near as wet. By the time we got there we were soaked and really hating life. We fished for about 4 hours and after not getting a bite and being too scared to run a lake we didnt know in those conditions decided it just wasnt worth it. Got soaked again on the way to the ramp and called it quits about lunch time.

Lessons learned. On a lake like Ray Roberts you really have to know it well to run it safe especially in those conditions. Dont wear tennis shoes. You can cut a toboggan in half to make thicker socks.

Hats off to the guys who stuck it out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide