Page 1 of 2 1 2
Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... #12674357 03/15/18 07:05 PM
C
CMFishes Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
I'm really getting the bug to make my 1st big kid boat purchase. I have made up my mind that a deep V aluminum is what I want. I have 14 days off at a time so I would probably be fishing 5(+) days a month. I want to be able to take company that may not be very salty so a comfortable, dry ride and that deeper riding feeling of security a deep V gives you is attractive. I don't want to have to get off the water with wind at 15mph. Prices all seem to be around the same-ish. I am exhausted researching brands, material, construction, etc. I know all those things have come a long way and of the brands I have looked at...they all seem to be kinda cookie cutter in many respects so I'm reaching out to my fellow perch jerkers since I know many of you have had experience with these. I will probably have to order on because I don't want their TM and Electronic packages that I'm just going to sell off before I rig it the way I want. Here's what I got:

Crestliner Fish Hawk 1950
Pros: Like the lower profile of the deep V (if that makes sense), trusted name, all welded construction, thicker gauge than most in the places it counts, wide beam (more than 96" standard), holds re-sale value (can't FIND a used one less than 5 years old hardly before they are snatched up)
Cons: Probably going to be the priciest of the line up, Would rather have a Yamaha 4 banger but since Brunswick now owns them it would have to be a mercury

Tracker Targa V19 40th Anniversary Edition.
Pros: Probably the least expensive, VERY wide beam, Xi5 standard as trolling motor with dual Elite 7ti's so I can have a running start if I don't upgrade. Roomy, looks like it would feel very solid and safe, all welded
Cons: Can't find ANY reviews on them, a little beefier than I'd like (or at least what I think I'd like), cockpit/windshield sits a little towards the front making room at bow smaller it seems, HAVE to have them rigged with their package, don't know much about tracker quality

G3 Angler V19:
Don't know a THING about G3. Glad I could get it with a Yamaha but price seems a little on the higher end for the gauge of metal over all and it is a sub 100" beam. Also....rivets

Alumacraft Trophy Line:
Don't know a THING about Alumacraft. Pricing at website looks to be a little high compared to competitors models of same class

And before everyone screams LUND! I have a hard time paying extra coin for a name that is owned by the same company that owns Crestliner....Ford vs. Chevy from what I understand...plus....rivets stir Thoughts opinions concerns...I'm all ears

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12674366 03/15/18 07:08 PM
B-Deuces Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Gator Trak

Gensis 27:3 "Go now, take your weapons, your quiver, and your bow, go out into the field and hunt game for me."

Bryley Doucet
Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: B-Deuces] #12674469 03/15/18 08:00 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Originally Posted By: LTC Realty
Gator Trak

X2 for gator trax

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12674475 03/15/18 08:06 PM
R
raptor Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I have a 2011 G3 172. I love it. It is a very stable platform.

[Linked Image]
Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12674560 03/15/18 08:55 PM
C
Creamlevel Creek Kennels Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
If you are NOT looking for a Hunting Boat, a Gater Trax not what you are looking for. I have owned one when I could still hunt. Nice heavy boats, but set up for hunting and will allow you to fish out of them.

Bass Tracker
I have also owned a Tracker 17.5 Deep V, it was a older model. It was narrower than the current trackers and would get water spray with winds over 10 mph. The newer models have widened, and looks like have fixed that. No other issues with boat. Very safe feeling.

G-3
Had a friend that had one, and very stable and safe feeling. Saw no problems the several times I fished out of it.

Crestliner and Alumacraft
Not sure which Duck Jerky owns, but which ever seem to stable and safe. I see him on the water, and boat rides good in the water. Often see him with his kid fishing.

Recently I bought a new to me boat. I love it. It is a Path Finder Bay Boat. Handles waves very well, center Console, deep riding area and fishing deck big enough for 2 fishing seat with plenty of room. It is fiberglass and rides very wel in rough water.

Personal info that I have experienced about the boats you ask about.

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: Creamlevel Creek Kennels] #12674564 03/15/18 08:59 PM
B-Deuces Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Creamlevel Creek Kennels
If you are NOT looking for a Hunting Boat, a Gater Trax not what you are looking for. I have owned one when I could still hunt. Nice heavy boats, but set up for hunting and will allow you to fish out of them.

Bass Tracker
I have also owned a Tracker 17.5 Deep V, it was a older model. It was narrower than the current trackers and would get water spray with winds over 10 mph. The newer models have widened, and looks like have fixed that. No other issues with boat. Very safe feeling.

G-3
Had a friend that had one, and very stable and safe feeling. Saw no problems the several times I fished out of it.

Not sure which Duck Jerky owns, but which ever seem to stable and safe. I see him on the water, and boat rides good in the water. Often see him with his kid fishing.

Recently I bought a new to me boat. I love it. It is a Path Finder Bay Boat. Handles waves very well, center Console, deep riding area and fishing deck big enough for 2 fishing seat with plenty of room. It is fiberglass and rides very wel in rough water.

Have you seen the different models they have? They have some strictly designed for fishing. They will also customize it any way you want to make it.

Gensis 27:3 "Go now, take your weapons, your quiver, and your bow, go out into the field and hunt game for me."

Bryley Doucet
Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12674653 03/15/18 09:50 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Crestliner seem like nice boats. My cousin has researched them all and he's going with a fish hawk. Good decision to be making any way you go!!!! fish

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: B-Deuces] #12674765 03/15/18 11:10 PM
C
Creamlevel Creek Kennels Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: LTC Realty
Originally Posted By: Creamlevel Creek Kennels

Bass Tracker

G-3

Have you seen the different models they have? They have some strictly designed for fishing. They will also customize it any way you want to make it.

I may not have seen everything, not sure. But What I have seen is their bass boat. I have never seen a DeepV if they have one, there bass boat rides high, with the deck sitting very high. Not knocking Gator Trax and like I said before, I had one for several years while I was hunting. Very well made boat. But just not what I got from the guys question.

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: Creamlevel Creek Kennels] #12675090 03/16/18 02:30 AM
C
CMFishes Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Good stuff. Thanks!

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12675319 03/16/18 11:50 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
The thing about Lunds is that they put soo much floatation in the boat, it just wont sink...I have seen product testing demos, where they drill huge holes in the boat and take it for a ride...and a sit on the water, just to prove that point. Also, they have more expensive interior finish out than most of the others...I would prefer that they were welded construction, but my last two fishing boats have been riveted, and I never have to use the bilge..in fact I have to test the bilge occasionally just to make sure it still works and blow it out just to make sure the dirt Dobbers havent stopped it up....unlike my forays into glass boats, which made me appreciate automatic bilges, they were the most leakprone hulls I have ever owned.

Last year, I too made the decision to go to a larger, safer, more stable platform, that could still get skinny...couldnt make up my mind what length/options, etc...but I found a used 18 ft Tracker Pro V, with a max HP motor as sort of a get aquainted with this style of boat option...really like it...makes my decision to migrate to a New Lund easier, once I get the kiddos out of college and off the meal ticket. That said, some of the other manufacturers you listed could sway my opinion, including that Crestliner bunch...If memory serves, one of their sales staff is a regular contributor on here...cant recall his name, but have heard he is a good guy to deal with. If you go that direction.

If you ever get a chance to go to lake fork, drop by the Thermocline Baits shop and check out Tboxs boat...he has always been very particular about his boats, and his current boat, and the way it is rigged out is worth the trip if you are seriously in the market.

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: Creamlevel Creek Kennels] #12675320 03/16/18 11:53 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Hey Keith, good to see you posting again...great info you shared! thumb

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12675360 03/16/18 12:47 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Check out Xpress boats

"But grace can be the experience of a second wind, when even though what you want is clarity and resolution, what you get is stamina and poignancy and the strength to hang on."
Ann Lamott
Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: crapicat] #12675832 03/16/18 04:51 PM
C
CMFishes Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Originally Posted By: crapicat
The thing about Lunds is that they put soo much floatation in the boat, it just wont sink...I have seen product testing demos, where they drill huge holes in the boat and take it for a ride...and a sit on the water, just to prove that point. Also, they have more expensive interior finish out than most of the others...I would prefer that they were welded construction, but my last two fishing boats have been riveted, and I never have to use the bilge..in fact I have to test the bilge occasionally just to make sure it still works and blow it out just to make sure the dirt Dobbers havent stopped it up....unlike my forays into glass boats, which made me appreciate automatic bilges, they were the most leakprone hulls I have ever owned.

Last year, I too made the decision to go to a larger, safer, more stable platform, that could still get skinny...couldnt make up my mind what length/options, etc...but I found a used 18 ft Tracker Pro V, with a max HP motor as sort of a get aquainted with this style of boat option...really like it...makes my decision to migrate to a New Lund easier, once I get the kiddos out of college and off the meal ticket. That said, some of the other manufacturers you listed could sway my opinion, including that Crestliner bunch...If memory serves, one of their sales staff is a regular contributor on here...cant recall his name, but have heard he is a good guy to deal with. If you go that direction.

If you ever get a chance to go to lake fork, drop by the Thermocline Baits shop and check out Tboxs boat...he has always been very particular about his boats, and his current boat, and the way it is rigged out is worth the trip if you are seriously in the market.

I know, I know...I've fished out of a buddy of mine's several times and it is nice and yes...no bilge. I think it's more a hang up on the extra dollars hung on the name although you do make a compelling argument regarding the safety/sinkability. I'm sure I will give them another hard look before this is said and done with...

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12676511 03/17/18 01:26 AM
S
shill Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Xpress

shill
Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12677363 03/17/18 09:52 PM
S
slabmeplease Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Team G3 here. I have the 1860 CC (actually my 2nd one) and I love it! Very roomy and comfortable. My dad and 3 other guys I fish with bought G3's. We all got them from Blackbeard Marine in Oklahoma. Their prices are tough to beat. They also put the biggest motors on their boats as well. Here in DFW area the dealers put a 70 hp on them. Going to Blackbeard Marine I saved about 5 or 6 grand and got a 90hp on my boat which is the highest motor for my boat.

Last edited by slabmeplease; 03/17/18 09:57 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide