Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Bilboinsa] #12615941 02/08/18 12:07 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Bilboinsa
Six of my reels have mono. Some came that way and I am too lazy to switch to braid. I put black braid on two others and I like it a lot. But catch-wise, I have noticed no difference.

Man, if you are lazy, you are gonna LOVE Braid, only have to change it out about every 5 years or so...if it gets frayed just cut a piece off...want some new line, but dont have time/money for a spool..tie on a two ounce sinker and cast it across the yard, pull all the remaining line off the spool and take it loose...then go to the sinker, cut off the sinker and ten foot of line...then spool it up backwards, and you got got a new spool of Braid....that will last another couple years! Cheapest, strongest, and most sensitive stuff on the market, despite the high price point.

I have seen lakes/times where a leader seems to get bit better than straight Braid..when it happens to me, I will add a mono leader...Cypress Springs was one such lake...but, otherwise it is not worth my time effort of messing with the leader issues/problems.

Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Gnab2] #12616148 02/08/18 01:59 AM
C
Crazy Ivan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I use braid almost exclusively but encounter problems with longer casting situations. (almost never when crappie fishin). Almost always get my jig back when snagging brush. cool

Ivan
Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Gnab2] #12616522 02/08/18 11:42 AM
hawghoover Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
power pro slick 20 lb hi vis yellow and a #12 swivel and 10" leader of 12 lb mono...great combo.iv got it on 8 reels use it for 1 year then reverse it onto another real for another year!!! and i fish about 7 days a week.

Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Gnab2] #12616578 02/08/18 12:52 PM
S
SaltyDawg88 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
All I use is braid. The reasons are obvious.

***There has to be a fish somewhere needing to be caught!***
SeaPro V2100 CC, 125 Mercury Optimax Offshore
www.GrangerGang.com
Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Gnab2] #12616669 02/08/18 02:10 PM
R
RODS454 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
15 lb. Power Pro Super Slick Hi Vis Yellow for me. Can't stand the spool memory of Mr. Crappie line. Tie direct to jig. Hardly ever lose a jig. Stopped using a leader as I couldn't tell any difference at Bardwell.

"I'd rather be fishing!"
[Linked Image]

Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Gnab2] #12616722 02/08/18 02:31 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
I love Braid! 15lb spider Invisabraid, BONEHEAD CHARTREUSE OR ORANGE. VERTICAL JIGGING, CASTING ETC I LOVE BRAID!

"But grace can be the experience of a second wind, when even though what you want is clarity and resolution, what you get is stamina and poignancy and the strength to hang on."
Ann Lamott
Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: KidKrappie] #12616777 02/08/18 02:52 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
I can't stand anything about braid. Crappie aren't line shy from my experience. I use high vis mono 99% of the time and have no problems catching them.

I dont have problems catching with Braid or mono either...I just have problems spending a lot of time re-tying lost jigs or respooling my reels, when I use something other than Braid...small jig eyes, not so good personal eyes, and hands that arent quite as accurate as they used to be, make it very easy to use Braid, from a personal perspective. What is impressive is the advancements of Braid over the last ten years...it has gone from being like the old braid listed below, to something that has all the traditional benefits of Braid, with few of the traditional deficiencies of either Braid OR mono.

I started using Braid when it was new to the fishing world...well, not really, but the first time I used Braid was on a cane pole when I was six years old...I got hung up and broke that cane pole...dang minner did it to me...that was my story, anyway...really, that vintage braid must have been 185 lb test, was course, rough, hard to tie, etc., but tough as nails...I even fashioned a makeshift belt out of it at times...moreover, was the only choice offered to me by my elders, seems I was kind of expensive regarding lost tackle...which is another reason I got a cane pole!! I started using mono on my tenth birthday (got some for my birthday) and liked it...better than Braid, I mused all the time...

Fast forward 20years, I saw some spider wire on the shelf, and thought hmmm, I can catfish with small equipment with this stuff...after catching and breaking off several large catfish with Braid at the hook tie, I put it aside...until I read an article about knots that work well with Braid...so out came the Braid, different knot, no problem! Brought in a 33 lb blue after he cornered a stump and stripped off another 30 yards line plus the slack he created, on that shimano1500 spinning reel/ugly stick lite setup...sometime thereafter I hung up my Bass/catfish/offshore/inshore rigs for the oftentimes maddening challenge of crappie fishing (because of my wife)...at some point I tried Braid for crappie and hated it...that lighter test stuff, was flimsy, rough, cut rod eyes, wouldnt cast, couldnt thread it through slip corks, knotted up in the wind, was impossible to untangle...but man, you could fish with confidence in the heaviest tangles imaginable, no longer needed a net, didnt lose much equipment, or have to retire every half a dozen fish, or constantly check your line for frays...absolute freedom, IMO, as it took a lot of the ancillary work out of fishing for me...

Then came Josh, sending me a bunch of mono to test out (cause I hated mono?) for some unknown reason....after hating performing that set testing procedures, but muddling through it and then giving him some harsh feedback, even by my own standards, he thanked me for my honesty then promptly sent me some braid and asked me to try it versus what I currently used...that was easy...after several more harsh critiques, and receipt of new prototypes, man I was liking that 12 lb Braid he produced over anything on the market...then all of a sudden, here comes some new offerings on the market that were just as good (better perhaps?)...I still prefer the 12, black that Josh produces, but it is hard to get at times, though I continue to use it...but, almost any braid produced today is far superior to that stuff produced ten years ago, so much so, that all you really have to do, is find a line strength you want (ie., 10 lb) and pick whatever brand is available in that line weight...and it will serve your needs, regardless of brand...I remain partial to a few brands (Bonehead, Suffix, and Power Pro), but recently spooled up some Spiderwire just because its been a while.

Typically, I will spool up new line every 18 months (I got gobs of it, so why not?), but really, there is no need to, because the stuff doesnt rot like mono or some of the copolymers tend to do. Obviously, Some rods I have respooled much more often during that testing phase (weekly) with Josh...but some rods I use havent been respooled in several years, possibly longer. A couple of the guys talk about daily fishing and respooling every year...sounds accurate to me...consider this...a mono fisherman fishing daily, would likely respool at least once a month, assuming they are catching daily, because of abrasion damage, sunlight degradation, lost line from hangups and stretch related deformity and we cant forget about the new scourge, zebra mussels. So, ultimately, you pay more for Braid, but the ultimate cost could be ten times less than mono? Sounds cheap to me and I can catch fish with confidence, that my line will not let me down...Im good with that...do I use mono, Yes, but that is another discussion entirely.

Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Gnab2] #12619511 02/10/18 01:06 AM
O
onfirecrappie Offline
Angler
Angler
O
Straight braid for me. Catch lots of fish. Can feel bite better. I use high vis yellow line and I order it off of eBay. I can get 2000 meters for about 30 bucks. Comes straight from Hong Kong. I know, I know I should buy American but Im on a budget and I love the line and the price.

Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Gnab2] #12619628 02/10/18 02:21 AM
ERNEST PATY Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I use braid most of the time. I may get a few more strikes with a leader but not enough to mess with most times except when fishing with Guy. (I like to beat up on him when possible) (we usually break even but can't take any chances)

Ernest Paty 214-202-7866
catchcrappie@aol.com

Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Gnab2] #12619875 02/10/18 04:39 AM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
I fish 10lb Nanofil or Fireline on my bridge fishing and deep timber rigs. I can feel the bite much better and I typically get my jig back when it gets hung. I use litewire hooks so a steady pull is enough to straighten the hook. I use mono for my shallow water rigs.

Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Gnab2] #12619895 02/10/18 05:06 AM
D
Dutch1947 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Power Pro Super Slick is the best Braided lineI have ever used and I have tried most of them. The 20 lb line is the same diameter as 6 lb mono. It casts great with no memory or stretch. Put about four or five feet of 8 lb Fluorocarbon on it for a leader and you are set. You won't pollute the lake with that four and 6 pound stuff either.

Fish the Braid for a few days, then go back to Mono or straight Fluorocarbon and you will swear that you're fishing with a giant rubber band. JMHO

Last edited by Dutch1947; 02/10/18 05:09 AM.
Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Gnab2] #12620050 02/10/18 01:22 PM
M
MOE BANDY Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Braid is all use.It will get the job done. texas fish hooked

MOE BANDY
Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Dutch1947] #12620070 02/10/18 01:43 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Dutch1947
Power Pro Super Slick is the best Braided lineI have ever used and I have tried most of them. The 20 lb line is the same diameter as 6 lb mono. It casts great with no memory or stretch. Put about four or five feet of 8 lb Fluorocarbon on it for a leader and you are set. You won't pollute the lake with that four and 6 pound stuff either.

Fish the Braid for a few days, then go back to Mono or straight Fluorocarbon and you will swear that you're fishing with a giant rubber band. JMHO

Hahahahaha Dutch you ole dog! You stated the exact thought I have, every time I go back to using mono...and I get sooooo tired of breaking off, retying due to abrasion, etc., and that dang memory...hey, I found some mono that is pretty good, so far...and I have made a point to fish it hard as I do Braid....that said, I have lost some jigs, but it is low memory, with good manners, and sorta sensitive (not by Braid standards), and hasnt rotted on me...now, I have NO plans to fish the heavy stuff with it, but for many uses it seems ok.

Hey, I thought Hogon did a fantastic job on Mrs. Dutchs birthday writeup!

Last edited by crapicat; 02/10/18 01:43 PM.
Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: crapicat] #12620333 02/10/18 04:41 PM
D
Dutch1947 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I missed that. I can't seem to find that post.

Re: Fishing with Braid [Re: Dutch1947] #12620401 02/10/18 05:33 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Dutch1947
I missed that. I can't seem to find that post.

Haha he hid it from you...may have Been in the open fresh water discussion, if you didnt find it in the crappie section...you know he WILL slip one by you occasionally.... roflmao

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide