Page 1 of 2 1 2
Just how strong are you? #12612734 02/06/18 02:24 AM
B
bush hog Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
B
Can you pull a big man out of the water? I found out today that I can't and kind of doubt that you can either. Was fishing close to a couple today that were tied up under the bridge crappie fishing. The man stood up, lost his balance and splash. Luckily he didn't hit his head on the concrete column. I kicked my trolling motor to high and got to them pretty quick and jumped into their boat. The man was hanging on the side of the boat but could not pull himself in. The water temp was 50 degrees and I knew we were fighting time. Without his help I couldn't pull him in. He was able to pull himself to the back of the boat and luckily able to lift his leg high enough to get a toe hold on the lower unit. With a little boost we were able to get him back in the boat. He was not wearing a life jacket and of course did not have a boarding ladder. This man probably weighed 220 dry and a little more soaking wet. I've heard others say they don't wear a life jacket when they have a partner and I've often thought that myself. I'm re-thinking this now.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12612744 02/06/18 02:30 AM
W
wooddiver Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
This is a good point I will make a rope ladder this weekend and ensure I have it on my boat. I know I can pull myself out but not sure of pulling someone else out.

Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12612757 02/06/18 02:35 AM
N
Not2Old2Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
WTG bush hog your quick thinking saved a life. thanks

<°(((((>{
Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12612759 02/06/18 02:36 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Not strong enough...guessing I might have to add a ladder to my boat...

Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12612792 02/06/18 02:57 AM
P
Perchy Perch Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Think that'd be a struggle for most. Especially with those conditions.

Good thing you were there, sir. thumb

-John
Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12612802 02/06/18 03:05 AM
R
RODS454 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I always wear mine when I'm in my boat. If I take it off, to add or remove clothing, I move to the center of the boat.

"I'd rather be fishing!"
[Linked Image]

Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12612844 02/06/18 03:24 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
When making that rope ladder, having some stirrups of some type is a big help. Getting your foot in a loop can be easy for some people. But us older folks have trouble moving with all the clothes on and wet and cold. Also, a rope will swing under the boat as soon as you put pressure on it. And you need to be able to get your hand on something to help pull yourself up. The rope ladder is better than nothing, but you have to experiment with it to get the right length for the type boat you will use it on. Aluminum flat bottoms are the hardest to get back into. Have to do it from the back of the boat. Getting a foot on that cavitation plate and using the trim will work if there's a trim on the motor. If not, a good amount of muscle is involved.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12612862 02/06/18 03:34 AM
C
canyoncreek06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Good on you sir. That gentleman and his family are very lucky you were at the right place at the right time. I use to be in the boat of not wearing a PFD at all. After falling out of my boat a couple of times early this past summer I purchased a Mustang automatic inflating and then would only wear it when I was by myself. Towards the end of the summer I had my older brother in the boat and we were having a pretty good afternoon. I was moving from one group of submerged timber to another with the trolling motor on high. Next thing you know a log appears out of nowhere and off the front I went in 18fow. I really can't remember what happened next, whether I hit the remote to turn it off or I hit the steer button. Before I knew it the boat was moving away from me going downwind and was already 50+ feet away. Luckily my brother knows how to operate a boat and he was able to come and pick me up. My boat has float pods on the back so it was easy for me to get back in. If he hadn't been with me I can say that I really doubt that I would have made it. Let me tell you that you may think you can swim pretty good but there is a total difference between swimming in the backyard pool and swimming in a lake when your life depends on it. Believe me, I know. I will also say that SK has a lot to do with me wearing a PFD as well. If you read his signature at the bottom of his posts you know what I mean. So, Thank You SK. With that said I now wear the Mustang from the time I step in the boat until it is on the trailer regardless of if anyone is with me or not. My motor is an older model Johnson that I had no idea had a kill switch. I asked my mechanic about installing one and he said "it has one, you just need the lanyard". He walked over to a shelf, dug through some stuff and said "here you go". I'm still having to remind myself to wear it but I'm getting better. Hopefully I will do it enough to where it is part of the routine like the Mustang. Sorry for the long post but if it helps one person to start wearing a PFD and possibly save their life then it is worth it.

>E

Columbus took a chance and he made it.
Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12612883 02/06/18 03:47 AM
T
TR176 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I keep coiled ropes on the front and and back of my boat and I have a built in ladder of sorts. I would not be able to pull anyone in and would hope they could hold on long enough for me to get to shallow water. Good man for helping folks in dire need of help. In 50 degree water I would be extremely concerned. Seems like ladders would be standard on boats these days.

Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12612997 02/06/18 09:15 AM
M
mayor (crappiepete) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I have fished bass tournaments for years. all clubs had a rule....put on a life preserver and kill switch. Before you start the engine. glad you were able to help

Using the site for a while...this is really great to share fishing ideas and success with others.
Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12613040 02/06/18 12:12 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Glad you were there to assist! Great job!!

I used to be in the "no life jacket" camp many years ago, then something changed. I always have either the mustang on, or a regular jacket depending on conditions. Kill switch is a must, and anyone on my boat will wear a pfd or they wont be going.

The older we get, the more we realize we aren't 10 feet tall and bullet proof. Things can change in an instant thumb

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12613069 02/06/18 12:46 PM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Good you were there and helped them. Good reminder to have ladder and emergency plan in place with life jackets on. thumb

Bobby Barnett

Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12613154 02/06/18 01:56 PM
T
THarris22 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Glad you were there. I wear a jacket when the water temp gets below about 65.Need to start wearing it all the time. Fat old man like myself would take a winch truck to get back in.

Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12613253 02/06/18 02:50 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Good for you helping the guy out.

Next time someone finds themselves in this situation, walk to the back of the boat and wrap your legs around the lower unit. Then hit the tilt up and it will elevate you out of the water and hopefully you/they can manage to get back on the boat.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Just how strong are you? [Re: bush hog] #12613260 02/06/18 02:53 PM
AQUA11 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I am 52 this year, big and strong, bigger than strong!! I have to use the motor and trim switch to get into boat for sure. We have always used the auto-inflate jackets at night? Wonder what that thinking was about? This year everyone will wear one every time on boat, and I will wear the kill switch every time. Just kinda a resolution for me, we spend a lot of time on the water these days. Thanks for the conformation post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide