Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wanting to join!! #12577238 01/14/18 12:19 AM
G
Gann434 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Im looking at venturing into the fly fishing side of fishing this upcoming spring, but know absolutely nothing about it. What are some brands to look for and also ones to avoid? Any input would be greatly appreciated

FISH - An animal that grows the fastest between the time its caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends
Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Gann434] #12577299 01/14/18 01:02 AM
C
Canoeman1947 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
It might first be a good idea to mention whether you are looking at freshwater or saltwater flyfishing. Also the kind of fish: bass, sunfish, trout, etc. As far as brands go, there are probably only a few that are just no good.

Larry

Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Gann434] #12577435 01/14/18 02:41 AM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
As Larry said, what type of fishing to you want to do. Many fly fishers began their experience fishing in local ponds and creeks for Blue Gill and LMB.
I would not start with a higher weight rod than a 4 weight. You will need casting lessons and for that get an experienced fly caster/fisher to help you out. Go to YouTube and watch lessons from people such as Lefty Kreh etc. Familiarise yourself with fly fishing terms, tippets leaders flies etc. Lots of frustrations ahead but pure fun to learn and practice. There are plenty flyfishers here that will give you all the advice and opinions.
Good Luck.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Linecaster] #12577465 01/14/18 03:01 AM
G
Gann434 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Thanks for this information so far. As far as target species, it would be like sunfish and trout mainly.
Originally Posted By: Linecaster
As Larry said, what type of fishing to you want to do. Many fly fishers began their experience fishing in local ponds and creeks for Blue Gill and LMB.
I would not start with a higher weight rod than a 4 weight. You will need casting lessons and for that get an experienced fly caster/fisher to help you out. Go to YouTube and watch lessons from people such as Lefty Kreh etc. Familiarise yourself with fly fishing terms, tippets leaders flies etc. Lots of frustrations ahead but pure fun to learn and practice. There are plenty flyfishers here that will give you all the advice and opinions.
Good Luck.

FISH - An animal that grows the fastest between the time its caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends
Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Gann434] #12577469 01/14/18 03:03 AM
Z
Zip-ur-Fly Offline
Angler
Angler
Z
Welcome to the addiction. +1 to all of the above. I recommend using the search function here. It full of great posts with lots of information and easy to use.

Holder of Texas State & Lake Fly Rod Records.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius
Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Gann434] #12577565 01/14/18 04:04 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Its a great way to fish. Way worth it.

You dont have to stress too much on which brand to get, theres so many good rods out there. I think a rod that flexes into the mid section might be easier to learn on than a fast action rod.

Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Gann434] #12578027 01/14/18 05:11 PM
C
Canoeman1947 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Maybe because I'm getting old, but I have learned to prefer fiberglass rods over the past 30 years or so. They offer a more relaxed casting pace. You may not be able to cast quite as far unless you are a really good caster, but I have no difficulty making 50 ft. casts, and most of the fish I am targeting are well within that range. For a person new to flyfishing, I would not recommend a really soft action glass rod, but preferrably one of the newer medium-fast glass rods such as Redington Butterstick, Fenwick Fenglass, Echo, or even some of the Chinese based rods available on Amazon such as Maxcatch Ultraglass or Aventik. Graphite rods are usually a little lighter, and generally have a faster action, but some good choices that would not be too expensive to start with might be Echo Base, Echo Carbon, Redington Classic Trout, Bass Pro White River Classic and so on. The easiest way to learn to cast is to find a friend or acquaintance who flyfishes to show you enough to get you started. Look online for Texas flyfishing clubs, and if there is one nearby, you might consider joining up. Videos can be helpful, and there are many good ones. As Linecaster mentioned, Lefty Kreh videos are hard to beat. You don't have to buy the most expensive line, but don't scrimp on that. A good line makes a world of difference in casting. The reel is primarily a line storage device, so I would recommend just sticking with a click and pawl type of reel, not a disc drag type. There is probably more information on flyfishing in books and online than on any other type of fishing. And also, as Lefty Kreh always said "there is more B.S. in flyfishing than you will find in a Kansas feedlot". Also if you will look at some of the recent posts on this board, there are some events coming up where a person could get some good information. Years ago when a friend tried to get me to try flyfishing I was pretty negative about it. When I finally let him show me how to cast, I was hooked. I have probably used a spinning rod perhaps a half dozen times in the last 30 years. Be very careful, it can be addictive.

Larry

Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Gann434] #12578928 01/15/18 02:57 AM
J
JCG57 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Cabelas runs specials like this one, that has most of what you will need to get started (rod, reel, fly line, leader and some other items).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/f...88.uts?slotId=1

Size 5 is a good all around starter rod, and you will definitely want 4-piece if you plan to fly with the rod somewhere.

Orvis sells a starter kit of about a dozen very popular flies for a cheap price.

And if you don't already have them you will want waders; I strongly suggest the breathable variety with separate (not integrated) boots. Be careful buying the boots, as some brands recommend your shoe size and others specify getting a larger size.

Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Gann434] #12578996 01/15/18 03:37 AM
E
ezduzit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
My favorite rod/reel setup I have right now for trout is a Lamson Liquid 5-6 wt reel with a Cabelas Prestige 5 wt rod and Rio Perception In-Touch (green/camo/tan) line. It's not a super low-end combo or anything, but doesn't really break the bank either. The Liquid reel is $99 and has a fully sealed drag. I like the dull colored line to help keep from spooking leary trout with line flash on false casts. People talk about using bright yellow or orange to see the line...I've never had issues seeing just fine with the green/camo/tan. Also, I like buying Cabelas rods because if literally anything happens to it I can use their 100% guarantee...[censored] happens. I've only broke one so far but they were quick to replace it with the receipt. You may not be able to get the Prestige rod anymore, and it may only be available through their Prestige rod/reel combo, but something comparable would work fine, like maybe the Cabelas Three-Forks rod which I also own in a 6 wt. I'm not a pro and have only been at it for a couple of years, but that is a solid beginner setup in my opinion.

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles..."
Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: JCG57] #12579009 01/15/18 03:50 AM
E
ezduzit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: JCG57
Cabelas runs specials like this one, that has most of what you will need to get started (rod, reel, fly line, leader and some other items).

Size 5 is a good all around starter rod, and you will definitely want 4-piece if you plan to fly with the rod somewhere.

Orvis sells a starter kit of about a dozen very popular flies for a cheap price.

And if you don't already have them you will want waders; I strongly suggest the breathable variety with separate (not integrated) boots. Be careful buying the boots, as some brands recommend your shoe size and others specify getting a larger size.

Ditto on the waders, and good boots are worth the money if you will be hiking around much. My Cabelas wader boots are fine for short distance walking / wading, but I'll likely be splurging on a set of lug-sole Simms boots this year before my long distance walks to some mountain streams in Colorado. I ruined the back of my heel to the point it hurt really bad to walk for about a month. That was hiking in 3 miles and wading about 1, then working my way back, so about 8 miles total that day. Also, the screw in spikes that come with Cabelas boots are worthless. I screwed mine in excited to try them out after slipping around with the felt bottom for several fishing trips, only to discover I could feel every screw from within the boot by hand shocked Thankfully I thought to check that before going fishing in them like that!

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles..."
Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: JCG57] #12579076 01/15/18 04:34 AM
G
Gann434 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
As far as waders Im set, since I've got my waterfowl hunting ones. But thank you for the advice on the recommended products
Originally Posted By: JCG57

Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Gann434] #12579097 01/15/18 05:04 AM
C
Canoeman1947 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Regarding line weights, I would listen to Linecaster. Years ago a 7 weight line was probably the most common in use. When I first got into flyfishing, the rule of thumb was that a 6 weight was the all around rod. A few years later everybody felt the 5 weight was more reasonable. I have rods from 2 weight to 8 weight, and I rarely ever go beyond a 4 weight any more, usually staying even lighter than that. A 4 weight is certainly sufficient for any sunfish and most trout you will be likely to encounter. I have landed trout to 24" and bass to about 5 lbs. on 4 weight rods, and I certainly don't possess any fabulous fish fighting skills. Heck, I know a guy on this board that uses a half weight rod for some of his saltwater fishing. Of course he is a little weird. grin

Larry

Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Linecaster] #12581193 01/16/18 06:04 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Linecaster
Good Luck.

WORD!

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Gann434] #12581365 01/16/18 07:47 PM
D
David Cole Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I'll throw my $.02 worth in here...the 5 wt is the most popular rod. The Cabela's stuff is pretty good and can be inexpensive if you find it on sale. Also, check MRFC.com (Madison River Fishing Company) as they have great sales on all the most popular equipment.

As for waders, you may find that water fowl waders are made for really cold weather and might be hot in the spring and summer. Cabela's is an inexpensive source. Cabela's used to have a fly fishing class (I know because I developed it and taught it for 4 1/2 years), but I think it's been discontinued. You might check Orvis (Dallas, Plano, Southlake or Fort Worth) and see if they are going to offer free fly fishing lessons this spring. Just a call is all that is needed.

Finally, if you are close enough to one of the cities that is fortunate enough to have a Fly Fishing club, by all means go to the meeting and get involved. Both Dallas and Fort Worth have clubs and I know there are several others about the North Texas area.

Welcome to the habit!!!

David

David
Trout Unlimited Life Time Member
Lake O.H. Ivie Fly Fishing Body of Water Record Holder for Blue Catfish (2.21) and Largemouth Bass (1.62)
Re: Wanting to join!! [Re: Gann434] #12581604 01/16/18 10:30 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
PM sent hooked

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread