Forums59
Topics1,039,137
Posts13,959,750
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's #12567534 01/07/18 06:11 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
You guy's enjoy it more then, or now ?
Speaking for myself, and really thinking about it.
It was better then... Less traffic, stupid fish, only 1 maybe 2 rods 1 Plano 747 tackle box...
It's changed, a lot, some good, some bad.imo...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12567547 01/07/18 06:23 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
folks had more common sense back then if they felt like something was wrong they wouldn't stew about it on their way home an get on the net an ask folks what they thought about it .

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12567548 01/07/18 06:25 PM
H
Hog Jaw Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
H
Lot better back then

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12567562 01/07/18 06:36 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
A lot less people back then and whole lot less people from up north and out west in our state.

#MFGA
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12567568 01/07/18 06:42 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Whole lots better back then Red when fast bass boats would run maybe 35, all you needed was a black/blue worm and every bit of shore line wasn't covered in houses and boat docks. Sometimes my memories of yesteryear are detrimental to the realities of today so it's best to not dwell on them. I have Sirius XM on my truck radio and when the realities of today get too much I move to the 50's-60's channel long enough to remember the "good 'ol days" and it helps. With my dad I fished PK, Tawakoni and Rayburn the year they opened, now those were good memories. fish

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Douglas J] #12567571 01/07/18 06:44 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
A lot less people back then and whole lot less people from up north and out west in our state.

North, east and west Doug. That's why we now have toll roads every where.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12567580 01/07/18 06:49 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
The 70's was a better time for bass fishing. It was before 300 hp, and fools that thought they were more important and had more rights because the were practising or competing in a tournament. Most boats were about 16 ft long and carried 65 to 85 horsepower. Most were couterious and gave you plenty of room and gave advise for catching fish. The launching ramps were friendly, with everyone helping each other and not complaining because some crappie fisherman took too long to load his little 14 ft. boat.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12567588 01/07/18 06:55 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
I enjoy teaching more now than I do actually catching. It was def better for numbers back then. I love me some Dumb Ole Texas Basses.....

I caught my first "biggun" 7 lbs 7 oz in a tournament on Ray Hubbard on 1-25-75. I had my red Garcia Ambassaduer 5000-B on my 5.5' Lew's Speed Stick with 14# Stren fluorescent blue line. I was throwing the only jig I owned. It was a black bucktail 3/8 oz Stan Sloan Booza Bug jig with a fiber weedguard. I had a black 6" Mr. Twister grub on the back as a trailer. I had no idea how to fish a jig but it was winter time and the books I read said to fish a jig & eel in the winter. We didn't have any Uncle Josh pork rind so I stuck the Mr. Twister grub on there. noidea

We were fishing out of my buddy's 14' MonArk with a 35 Evinrude with no TM on front. We just idled around and either tied up or anchored. There was also no livewell on the boat. It was more of a ski boat than a bass rig but it floated and we thought we were hot stuff flying across the lake at a blistering 32 mph! bolt

I was a sophomore at Garland High and we had organized a high-school bass club for all the Garland schools. It was the Top Six from each school that day on Hubbard. It was me and my partner Dickson Ayers in his boat. Kirk Balsley & Joe Smith in their boat. Gary Hughes and Paul Redmond rounded out our six man team. North Garland was there with their formidable team as was South Garland. Lakeview Centennial was there with a few guys. They were the rich kids from the South Side. sarcastic

Coach Gary Reeves from Garland High (now the superintendant for GISD) did the shotgun start at safe light from the gas dock at Point Royal Marina off Hiway 66. We blasted off across Hubbard in search of the elusive largemouth bass.

I think Lakeview blanked but North Garland brought three or four keepers to the scales for about four pounds. Stories of the big one that broke their line circulated around at weigh in. lol

At the end of the day, Kirk Balsley had landed two nice 2.5-3 pound fish on a blue Fliptail worm off some old submerged RR tracks in deep water and put us in the lead. I think Paul Redmond landed one small keeper about a pound. Dickson and I show up with a 7 pound 7 ounce lunker that dropped everyone's jaws. It was the biggest bass any of us had ever seen in person! It was the only fish I landed that day but it didn't matter. thumb

Ray Sasser wrote an article in the sports section of the Dallas Morning News about my fish and our school winning the event. We walked away with trophies for Heavy Stringer and Big Bass. The athletic director for the Garland schools paid to have it mounted for me. I was kind of a big deal back then.

roflmao

Last edited by Ken A.; 01/07/18 06:57 PM.

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Ken A.] #12567595 01/07/18 07:00 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I enjoy teaching more now than I do actually catching. It was def better for numbers back then. I love me some Dumb Ole Texas Basses.....

I caught my first "biggun" 7 lbs 7 oz in a tournament on Ray Hubbard on 1-25-75. I had my red Garcia Ambassaduer 5000-B on my 5.5' Lew's Speed Stick with 14# Stren fluorescent blue line. I was throwing the only jig I owned. It was a black bucktail 3/8 oz Stan Sloan Booza Bug jig with a fiber weedguard. I had a black 6" Mr. Twister grub on the back as a trailer. I had no idea how to fish a jig but it was winter time and the books I read said to fish a jig & eel in the winter. We didn't have any Uncle Josh pork rind so I stuck the Mr. Twister grub on there. noidea

We were fishing out of my buddy's 14' MonArk with a 35 Evinrude with no TM on front. We just idled around and either tied up or anchored. There was also no livewell on the boat. It was more of a ski boat than a bass rig but it floated and we thought we were hot stuff flying across the lake at a blistering 32 mph! bolt

I was a sophomore at Garland High and we had organized a high-school bass club for all the Garland schools. It was the Top Six from each school that day on Hubbard. It was me and my partner Dickson Ayers in his boat. Kirk Balsley & Joe Smith in their boat. Gary Hughes and Paul Redmond rounded out our six man team. North Garland was there with their formidable team as was South Garland. Lakeview Centennial was there with a few guys. They were the rich kids from the South Side. sarcastic

Coach Gary Reeves from Garland High (now the superintendant for GISD) did the shotgun start at safe light from the gas dock at Point Royal Marina off Hiway 66. We blasted off across Hubbard in search of the elusive largemouth bass.

I think Lakeview blanked but North Garland brought three or four keepers to the scales for about four pounds. Stories of the big one that broke their line circulated around at weigh in. lol

At the end of the day, Kirk Balsley had landed two nice 2.5-3 pound fish on a blue Fliptail worm off some old submerged RR tracks in deep water and put us in the lead. I think Paul Redmond landed one small keeper about a pound. Dickson and I show up with a 7 pound 7 ounce lunker that dropped everyone's jaws. It was the biggest bass any of us had ever seen in person! It was the only fish I landed that day but it didn't matter. thumb

Ray Sasser wrote an article in the sports section of the Dallas Morning News about my fish and our school winning the event. We walked away with trophies for Heavy Stringer and Big Bass. The athletic director for the Garland schools paid to have it mounted for me. I was kind of a big deal back then.

roflmao

Lakeview did not open until 1976 wink

#MFGA
Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: ChuChu1] #12567598 01/07/18 07:04 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!
Red 5000 abu's Fenwick rods 20 lb mono that looked like kite string... Jig n eel, cream 6" purple white tail worms, Mr twister jelly flavored curly tail worms.. A couple of hedon top water chuggers, jitterbug, tiny torpedo, lowrance green box flasher..that was all you needed... I have literally thousands of dollars in gear now...
And have nowhere near the fun my brother I had back then...

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12567600 01/07/18 07:04 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
I beg to differ with you. The first graduating class was May 1976. wink

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Ken A.] #12567611 01/07/18 07:13 PM
Kay Dyson Offline OP
HOT Mess!!!
OP Offline
HOT Mess!!!

I caught my first "biggun" 7 lbs 7 oz in a tournament on Ray Hubbard on 1-25-75.
I was kind of a big deal back then.

roflmao

Dang Ken, we were seniors in High school...I got out class of 76..
Your the man that talked me into buying a yellow magic for the unheard of price at $ 14.00 that's one I've never regretted thumb and yes buddy you're still a big deal cheers

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12567628 01/07/18 07:23 PM
B
Brutaldudeski Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Everything is always better through nostalgia glasses. In 40 years kiddos now will talk about how great the early 2000s were. It's all perspective and folks will always hold their memories dear.

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Kay Dyson] #12567636 01/07/18 07:29 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

I caught my first "biggun" 7 lbs 7 oz in a tournament on Ray Hubbard on 1-25-75.

roflmao

Your the man that talked me into buying a yellow magic for the unheard of price at $ 14.00 that's one I've never regretted thumb and yes buddy you're still a big deal cheers

I went to Garland High as a sophomore then my parents moved out further into the country realmad so I transferred to North Garland as a Junior and graduated after my junior year from there in 1976. I should have been Class of 1977 but I went to summer school three summers in a row so I could graduate as a junior.

Oh Boy, I'm sure glad I gave up three full summers to do that!! NOT!!!

Nowadays I just sit around and talk about how good I used to be Billy. roflmao

Re: Question for some of the guys that fished in the late 60's-70's [Re: Ken A.] #12567645 01/07/18 07:34 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

roflmao

I went to Garland High as a sophomore then my parents moved out further into the country realmad so I transferred to North Garland as a Junior and graduated after my junior year from there in 1976. I should have been Class of 1977 but I went to summer school three summers in a row so I could graduate as a junior.

Oh Boy, I'm sure glad I gave up three full summers to do that!! NOT!!!

Nowadays I just sit around and talk about how good I used to be Billy. roflmao

It's the old saying Ken, "the older I get the better I was". We all use it especially at birthdays, lol.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide