Print Thread
Found in the attic #12561258 01/02/18 06:36 PM
Z
Zip-ur-Fly Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Z
Happy New Year. Putting up the Christmas decorations, fallen down between the joists and insulation, I found what I think is one of my first fly rods from the late 50's early 60's. It's a Sears black fiberglass, 7'6", light action. Model 30437. Unfortunately it has been highly disrespected. Some bent eyes, damaged whippings, etc that need replacing. I'm not a rod builder. Don't have the sophisticated equipment or expertise that I think would be needed to totally rework it. Could make up a couple of Vee-blocks to support the rod so it could be rotated it. Would like to try and resurrect it and use it without a lot of expense. Suggestions, ideas? Thanks in advance.

Holder of Texas State & Lake Fly Rod Records.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius
Re: Found in the attic [Re: Zip-ur-Fly] #12561269 01/02/18 06:48 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Mudhole.com has all the tutorial videos you need on their site. Have fun with it!

Re: Found in the attic [Re: Zip-ur-Fly] #12563813 01/04/18 03:48 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Get in touch with Pearow on this forum. He has resurrected many an old fly rod for me.

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: Found in the attic [Re: Zip-ur-Fly] #12565135 01/05/18 03:02 PM
C
Canoeman1947 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I'm certainly no expert as I have never built or restored a rod, but I know it doesn't necessarily take a lot of expensive sophisticated equipment. A lot of builders are still using a cardboard box with V-notches cut in the ends and a heavy book to use for a line tensioner, running the thread through the book at just the right number of pages to obtain the proper tension on the thread, with the thread spool resting in a cup. Now that I'm retired, building or restoring an old rod is on my list of things to accomplish. And as Jerry mentioned, Pearow is an excellent resource on this subject. I don't think even he knows how many rods he has built or restored or repaired.

Larry

P.S. - By the way Jim, did you ever get your Proof rod built?

Last edited by Canoeman1947; 01/05/18 03:04 PM.
Re: Found in the attic [Re: Zip-ur-Fly] #12565187 01/05/18 03:33 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
OK, I've done a grand total of one rod. So, take my comments with caution.

Pearow is an excellent option, but if you want to do it yourself, it's not that complicated to put a rod back into fishing conditions.

Put the thread spool in a coffee cup so it doesn't roll across the room and run the thread under a book for tension and you can hold the rod in your hand while you wrap the guides. Stands and other tools help, especially if you are doing multiple rods, but they are not required. Note, file the tips of new guides to a sharp point to make wrapping the thread over them much easier.

One item that you will need is a way to rotate the rod while the epoxy dries on the new thread. If you don't rotate it, the epoxy will drip and look really bad. You can buy a drying setup or it is not that difficult to make your own. The hardest part is finding a slow RPM motor and then build your own stand for it. This type of motor is available through Amazon or sometimes you can salvage one from an old microwave.

Good luck and post a photo when your done!

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Found in the attic [Re: Zip-ur-Fly] #12565753 01/05/18 11:57 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
I'm no expert but have built a few rods. I think the first thing you have to look at is whether the handle nd reel seat are good enough to leave as is. If they are, then the project isn't that difficult. You just need to remove the old finish, wraps and guides and put on new ones.
To remove the old finish, CAREFULLY cut the thread wraps with something sharp - maybe an exacto knife. Take care to avoid cutting the blank. Cut towards the guides if possible so they can stop the knife blad. Once the wraps have been cut, then you start working off the old finish. It might be dry and brittle after all these years. I would be careful about solvents, and would not try acetone. You can sand down those areas a bit if your careful.
For wrapping new guides, you can take a cardboard box and cut v shaped notches in opposite ends to hold the rod sections while you wrap them. The other problem you need to solve is something to keep tension on the thread. I run line through the pages of a book when I re-spool my spinning tackle, but have never tried it for rod building.
Some YouTube research would likely turn up some other ideas.

Re: Found in the attic [Re: Zip-ur-Fly] #12570717 01/09/18 05:32 PM
Z
Zip-ur-Fly Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Z
Thanks to all who replied. I used several of your suggestions (cardboard box, cup, book, etc). After close inspection, I only needed to replace two stripping guides. The snake eyes and wraps were in good condition. Use materials I already had in house, polyester thread vs. nylon and polyurethane for epoxy. I can hear the purists screaming from here smile Although not museum quality, I'm satisfied with the results. It will make a good kayak rod. Casts well with a 5 weight trout line. TFF'rs came through again!

Holder of Texas State & Lake Fly Rod Records.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide