Forums59
Topics1,039,342
Posts13,963,187
Members144,201
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12748637 05/09/18 09:57 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
So is this thing based on moon phases or weather patterns or.....whats it based on? Im just curious because to me it just seems like it would be hard to predict what fish will bite on what days with so many other variables at hand like fronts, wind speed/direction, temperature, water and air temp, cloud cover, clear skies, etc, it seems it would be hard to predict the behavior of fish a month in advance with ever changing weather patterns. Im curious what the science behind it is? maybe I can use it to pattern other fish species.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12752669 05/12/18 02:52 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Just a few last minute thoughts I forgot to add the other day. I had a very good time meeting new folks at Running Branch last weekend. We had a lot of sharing with my next door neighbors there. Thanks for everything, including assistance, hamburger & hooks!!! Also those on the lake near my lines. Sorry that I only had one goldfish left for you. And Congrats to Heath & his group!!! They were running lines up at the north end of the lake. They definitely had a good run, largest was a 45# Yellow. They were using perch. I have not had a chance to look at the pics yet, that's how busy I have been. Hope you had another good run!!!

"Mckinneycrappiecatcher" noted ...
>>>
So is this thing based on moon phases or weather patterns or.....whats it based on? Im just curious because to me it just seems like it would be hard to predict what fish will bite on what days with so many other variables at hand like fronts, wind speed/direction, temperature, water and air temp, cloud cover, clear skies, etc, it seems it would be hard to predict the behavior of fish a month in advance with ever changing weather patterns. Im curious what the science behind it is? maybe I can use it to pattern other fish species.
<<<

Sorry for the delay. These 4 to 5 hour nights just don't cut it sometimes, as for getting enough sleep. OK, as for your question, yes, the Catfish Calendar uses the patterns derived from phases of the Moon, and other astronomical markers accordingly, and then my interpretation & experience. You see, I am one who is able to find patterns within patterns. Mostly, it is because I have learned to "click" in on these patterns, when things occur consistently. I once tried to explain it as simply as possible, to my two prize Running Branch Marina YellowCat & Catfish Calendar students (Jeff S. & James S.) back around 2008 or so. They got all bug-eyed, and concluded they would just wait to see my calendar when I had each year's finished project.

I explain to people that I did not invent or create the Calender, all I did was discover it. Everything in Creation in this physical realm runs patterns. It is ingrained in everything, regardless of how much it is overlooked or not realized.

You see, I was taught by two YellowCat teachers as to everything they knew & were taught. Yes, I had a vast amount of knowledge as to YellowCats. However, I still rarely caught any. So it seemed that knowledge really did not help me. That is, until I happened to get a job which had a unique pattern of "days off". All of a sudden, I started catching YellowCats, again & again & again.

I realized that something had changed, and it must have had to do with my "pattern" of days off. So I decided to investigate further & deeper. Did I really uncover something? Was it a fluke? Was there a true pattern involved? So I mapped out a plan to fish this "calendar possibility" for 3 years on the Trinity River (below TX 21). And yes, I had found that the pattern held true for Yellows (of which I was investigating). But I also found two other things as I did (and had hinted to me) the year before mapping out those 3 years worth. There was a more erratic pattern as to BlueCats. Plus I found that Gator Gars seemed to run the same pattern as the Yellows, but it seemed their "clock" was set a few hours earlier.

The Catfish Calendar uses a primary of 4 of my "sigs" (signatures) assigned to each day. What this amounts to, is this is the one of those 4 that has the strongest "pull" or "spotlight" on. They are simply YC, BC, BFT, and ZIP. YellowCat, BlueCat, Buffet, and Zip. To assist, I came up with a few KEY items noted in my KEY. These are items I have found, concerning the Calendar designated targets (one of the 4 sigs).

Over the years, I have found that it seems the fish have a sort of ingrained "roam-feed" circuit switch which Creation has implanted. It seems they are triggered to go out every so often & roam (travel) for their food. Nature's way of kicking them out of the house for some exercise maybe. However, I also realize that not all of the particular in that species may run the same pattern. So I have estimated that 66% to 75% of Yellows, Blues, and Gator Gars run "Lynn's Catfish Calendar" <<roam-feed>> pattern. The other 25% to 33% run "rogue", meaning they run another "program' (pattern). I have compared it to the way most humans have their jobs, as to when they work- Standard Day shift (majority), such as 8 AM to 5 PM; Night shift (4 PM to Midnight); and Graveyard shift (Midnight to 8 AM). My calendar is geared for the majority, to get the most volume of your catches. Please note that this is an analogy of three groups, not times, for the comparison.

If you will notice, I have also placed an addition, referred to as my PYC days. These are my Personal YellowCat Days. Even though the pattern runs thruout the Catfish Calendar most of the time, sometimes another sig overpowers to become the one with the most pull or focus. What the PYC days do, is show you the pattern I came across, that was consistent with my dauys off back in 1981-1982. My suggestion, if you are going for YellowCats, use the YC days of the Calendar, as well as my PYC days. In other words, go for both options. If you see the KEY, I have found that Blues also bite good on YC days. However, do not confuse YC days of the calendar, with my PYC days, as for the BlueCat angle.

There are other tips & notes over the years here in my yearly threads of Lynn's Catfish Calendar. Such as Bleedover & how you can make that work to your advantage. That is why up near the first of each new year's thread, I also put the links to each year, so you can go directly to pool the information. Plus at least two times I have shared some of the testimonies of those who have used & are using the Catfish Calendar.

And finally ... Yes, there are certain conditions that can hamper the Calendar. But I have also noted how interesting it is when fronts come in on specific days of the Calendar. It is as if almost the Calendar knew the front was coming in.

And a final note. My boss (owner of the cabinet company I work for, I am over the Door Shop) is a Crappie fisherman. I have handed him a notebook full of my cheat sheets (forms to fill out of data on his trips & catches). If he is keeping track of his trips & such, I will be going down the line & see if I can get a bearing on Crappie. Currently, it does seem they do hit good during BC days & nearest the new moon (darker).

And I did not research ChannelCats, WhiteCats, or MudCats (the 3 species of Bullheads). But, one observation I have made (from my experiences), is that I catch a lot more Channels on BFT days. Another local catfisherman said they seemed to hit them on ZIP days. Anyway, I am hoping to hit the Channels & test it on Lake Bryan in June, if Eric & Kristina decide they would like to. There are 2 sets of 3 day BFT weekends in June (back up to May calendar to see my notes). As most know, I use set lines & you can only use R-n-R or P-L (pole & line) on Lake Bryan. I plan to have an array of set hooks (pole & lines) set out from the bank.

I hope to remember next month and share two more items on YellowCats. Key words are window weights & pressure, hopefully that will remind me (jog my memory).

Also, be sure & tune in on June's calendar, as I will clue you in on the week leading up to the weekend before & up to July 4th.

Be Safe this coming Holiday and any other day for that matter!!!

Almost forgot, I was going to add my email in case any of those from Lake Limestone wanted to write on the side. Drop me a line at <hlynnh@peoplepc.com>

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12754084 05/14/18 03:20 AM
G
Gary Chandler Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
catfish Lynn how is the soap working for you?

Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12755835 05/15/18 04:49 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Hi Gary,

Sadly I did not really get a chance to really try it much. My window for this slot, was from about mid April until about mid May. I had too many things that I was trying out (as for research & such) in all.

They were:
1) See how the Metro handles the new Alumacraft 12 footer on my special luggage rack in the 1 hour trip either way
2) See how the 12 footer handles, including my rigging and how to maneuver without turning it over
3) Just get back into the water again since 2013
4) Check out a variety of other baits--- (A) Your 4 varieties (flavors) of soap bait, (B) Sour Gummi Worms, (C) boneless skinless chicken breast soaked in Dead Red Spray, (D) Bar S wieners soaked in Dead Red Spray.
5) See if "The Giant" is still there in the area that me, Jeff, and James have encountered IT. I had wondered after the drought of 2011, if it had moved or came on back. Or if someone had caught it. It was possible I overestimated its weight (but I didn't think so), as I think a few big Yellows came out in the past two years up to 75 or so pounds.

The high winds & weekend storms prevented me from going until Sunday late afternoon April 22nd. I had hoped to have set out a weekend or so ahead of that. All I was able to do then, was set out two trotlines in what I hoped would be still in the pathway of "The Giant" a few years back. I did not put on leaders with hooks, just the main lines, as I had to place them with very low wind to keep from getting hung on stumps. I set those out & got back about dark. Also, we've been busy at the cabinet company, and usually I work late Friday nights to have the doors ready to go with a job for Monday. I am over the Door Shop.

Due to work, and maybe weather too, I was not able to return until Saturday April 21st about 8:30 AM. And headed home about 2 PM Sunday 23rd. I did get a chance on one run to set soap out. There are turtles around especially during the day. So I was pleased that they did not strip the soap.

Next round again, I had to curtail to arriving Saturday afternoon about 4 PM or so May 5th & leaving at around 2:30 PM Sunday May 6th. It seems I went off & forgot the sour gummy worms bag & the soap bait ice cream tub. I had them just inside my room & forgot to put them in with the other bait (which I had frozen several times already) in the Fish Tub (I use it for bait, until needed). I pulled all lines Sunday (the 6th), not because I wanted to, but I have several irons in the fire here at home. Plus 2nd & 3rd weekends of May were ZIP. Even though it will be great Memorial Day weekend, I don't feel like working around the crowds.

I am hoping to maybe have one or two outings before the late Fall. If I manage to get the 14 footer up & running in November or so, I might get to hit it hard. Plus I won't be worried about fair winds as much as the 12 footer. I have it (the 14 footer, a wide MonArk) set up in the front & sides that it is about 6" higher than the actual rim. In fair winds (like 15 MPH) at the bottom of the lake, I will be running lines on the big front seat sometimes as a wave might slightly come over to wash the seat. We had 3 bilge pumps, as well as have a spare bucket or so. Anyway, with the 14 footer I would be able to set certain lines in better faring areas. I restricted my area to where "The Giant" had roamed.

So, somewhere around the bend I hope to give your soap a good working & see how it does. I'll be sure to let you know.

Of my very scarce runs, I did find I need to alter a few things on my rigging. Don't be surprised if you should see pics on the net of a medium blue 1990 Geo Metro with a flat bottom attached to the luggage rack, angled up in the front (looks like a rocket launcher). And I confirmed that "the Giant" is alive & well. I almost had it to the surface, as it brushed the bottom of the boat before it decided to dive hard & pop my leader. I did not have time to set my overhead squared "U"s roof frame, but we might do that at Lake Bryan if my Daughter & Son-in-law decides to go for the 22nd/23rd/24th of June, as it is 3 day BFT run which is mostly Channels for me. We might get a shot at the soap then. Or Eric may want to go to the Trinity River (below TX 21), if I mention it as an option. I do not recall if I ever used soap on Trinity River. This was where I tested my Catfish Calendar from 1983 thru 1985.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12777989 06/02/18 09:36 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Greetings for June 2018!!!

Whew! The Heat is on, or I should say, it's coming. Looks like it will be a very hot summer. Records were broken from SW to NW of Texas on Friday. So be sure you have plenty of water on hand to drink, even though you might be parked right on top of water.

Sorry for delay. I went back Thursday night for the TV news & did not make it back from the recliner to computer. Friday night I got to computer, but cratered at the keyboard. I did give you a preview of the first 3 days of June being BFT days.

First off, I was finally told that it is a GO, for a little weekend trip on June 22nd, 23rd, and 24th at Lake Bryan (Bryan Utlities Lake. I mentioned previously that since it is primarily a ChannelCat lake (as to Blues & Yellows), I wanted to test something that has seemed to occur over the years of the Catfish Calendar. That is, on the BFT (Buffet) days, I usually get more of a volume of Channels. As I have shared, I did not figure in, nor research Channels in my initial discovery of the Catfish Calendar. But I did notice, I generally get a mix of everything on BFT days. But over the years, I also realize there was an uptick in the amount of Channels caught on these days.

This month (June 2018), just so happens that there are two 3 day BFT weekends, one of which is going on as I speak (the 1st/2nd/3rd- Fri/Sat/Sun). But since it was so close to the Memorial Day weekend, I figured it might be better to go for the latter 3 day run. Plus, the crew headed out last night on their vacation, so they would not have picked the current weekend.

Now Lake Bryan is also a lake that does not allow set lines such as trotline, throwlines, or juglines. Only Rod-n-Reel (RnR) & Cane & Pole (CnP), so what's a setliner to do. Probably set out an array of CnPs, maybe 10 to 12 on the bank near camp, plus have out maybe 3 or 4 RnRs. Naturally, I will be taking the new 12 foot flat bottom to try some of that from R-n-Ring.

Anyway, I would be glad top hear your results of this current weekend (1st thru 3rd), as well as the 22nd thru 23rd, as to your catches. Did you notice a larger volume of Channels?

I mentioned if I could remember, I would share something concerning these key words- ... hmm, What were they? Oh yeah, window weights & pressure. This concerns YellowCats, so heads up for those who seek these out.

As you know, from here to there, we have touched base on certain characteristics of a Flathead, Yellow, or Op (Opelousas). I was told from one of my YellowCat teachers (Olen), not to deviate your lines more than 10 feet, if you have caught a Yellow of 30 pounds or larger. The reason was, Yellows tend to run paths. In the since of a specific route like a highway of sorts down under. Chances are, you'll catch more Yellows, by abiding by this rule.

My other YellowCat teacher (Newt), made note that in 1980, while we were fishing, that he needed to move his trotline as it must not be in the right spot, as he was not catching Yellows. He moved it, and boy Howdy, did he ever start catching Yellows. I know, because my motor messed up & I hopped on with him, to run both our lines. The Yellows tended to be in a specific area, from the 3rd hook out to the 6th hook. At about 3.5 foot apart on his leaders, that would be about the 10 foot span that Olen had noted.

I also have made mention of what I call, a YellowCat's region, territory, apartment, or hole. That is another story.

After a short while here on the TFF, we had a group that ran into the same phenomena of catching Yellows at a certain spot on their trotline, so several of us shared. In the midst, it was shared by "Bobby-Catfishing" (back on 4-26-2011) that someone had shared some on Yellows to him. That included tamping the bottom with steel poles (possibly rebar, conduit, or ???). What you were trying to find was hard bottom, not muddy. If you found these areas, chances are, you would catch Yellows. If you recall (some of you), what I refer to as "paths", some call them "trails", as to YellowCats or Flatheads.

Here is that thread < Flathead Trails > for much more info---
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/6116451/

Also, "opus" mentioned the illustration or scan pic that somebody shared in a previous discussion. I recall the discussion & it (the pic) being shared. I thought I had saved the pic, but have been unable to re-find it. Nor have I found the other thread yet. If anybody knows, then please share it. Perhaps the one who shared it, can post it again.

A few years back, not sure if it was before or after the Heart problems in early 2012, but I ran into another older catfisherman at The Bait Barn here in Bryan on TX 21. I forget how we started the conversation, but we carried it outside after getting perch. I had shared briefly about my Catfish Calendar & knowing when the Yellows bite. He in turn, said it may be similar to what he was doing. He had some sort of rig that showed certain pressure changes. When it did certain things, it was timne to go catch some Yellows, as they were biting. Somehow, the pressure caused the jug or device to go down or under, if I recall correctly. I may be wrong, but you have the gist of it. In other words, the device showed a particular pressure change that was consistent with YellowCats biting at that time. If you have heard of this, please share.

My last recent trip (May 5th/6th) to the Lake, at RB Marina, proved to be fruitful in many ways unexpected. I met a lot of new friends & great people. And we all shared. My next door neighbors (at the campsites) shared something I had not heard before. I think it was his Uncle who related it to him. He spoke of using window weights. For those not familiar with them,
a window weight is a cylindrical (round) ingot or bar of iron about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter. The length could vary from 6" to 12". Your older wooden windows had rope on the side that attached to this weight. And there were wheeled pulleys. It acted to help raise & lower windows. On one end is a hole cast into it for a rope to be tied to it. My Dad used them for his set lines. I used some for awhile.

Anyway, my neighbor shared that you tied some rope to the window weight, lowered it & let out some slack. Then you travelled out some. I assume with your motor running at a low & steady speed. You watched the line as to how the weight reacted to the bottom it was being dragged on. If it was smooth, chances were it might be mud. Maybe a little rougher in sand. But if you went over very hard to a rocky bottom, it had a definite look in how the rope reacted. In other words, it vibrated or shimmied (shook) a lot. Most interesting indeed!!!

And as adding a bit more, here is a brief to some YellowCat Research that has been found by tracking and studying them. But just remember one thing, nothing is in concrete, except concrete itself. <My Grin>

This was shared by Chiprat (12-31-2015) in the thread < Jug lines for Flathead > :
<http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11315703/>

The Catfish Calendar focus as to Yellows, on the YC days (my sig that is of 4 possible that are shown to be the strongest for that given day), as well as the separate PYC days (My Personal YellowCat days according to the pattern I found). The Catfish Calendar seems to grasp some sort of what I call, a "roam-feed" switch or circuit that is inherent (implanted in their system), that somehow kicks them out of the house to roam (travel) for their food. And as they travel, they use their paths or trails.

Here ya go ...

Lynns Catfish Calendar [LCC]- JUNE 2018
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sunday / Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday / Friday / Saturday
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
XX / XX / XX / XX / XX | 1 BFT | 2 BFT
3 BFT | 4 BFT | 5 YC | 6 YC | 7 ZIP | 8 ZIP | 9 ZIP
10 BC | 11 ZIP | 12 ZIP | 13 ZIP | 14 BFT | 15 BFT | 16 ZIP
17 ZIP | 18 BC | 19 BC | 20 ZIP | 21 ZIP | 22 BFT | 23 BFT
24 BFT | 25 BC | 26 BC | 27 BFT | 28 BFT | 29 BFT | 30 YC
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- June 2018 Moon Phases---
6th- Last Qtr
13th- New Moon
20th- 1st Qtr
28th- Full Moon

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- June 2018 Lynn's PYC (Prime YellowCat) Days---
5/6 Tues/Wed
14/15/16 Thurs/Fri/Sat
24/25 Sun/Mon

EXTRA--- Targeted BC (BlueCat) days this month (June), by each week, are as follows:
1st Week- NONE
2nd Week- NONE
3rd Week- 10th (Sun)
4th Week- 18th/19th (Mon/Tues)
5th Week- 25th/26th (Mon/Tues)

***ALWAYS ... be sure to note that YC days (not to be confused with PYC days, as this only refers to the YellowCat underlying pattern) are also great for Blues. So when you have a clump of BC & YC days, press forward. Like they say in pool (or billiards), Rack 'em Up!!!

Here is the Lynn's Catfish Calendar 2018 KEY ...
Lynns Catfish Calendar [LCC]- 2018 KEY:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
YC = YellowCat // BC = BlueCat // BFT = Buffet (assorted) // ZIP = Zip (not very good)
Tip- Always bait out lines the night before a YC or BC day.
Tip- Gator Gars (GG) run ahead of YellowCats, so bait out late (between 11 PM to 1 AM).
Tip- BlueCats also bite good on YC days, but you can rack em up on BC days.
Tip- Some variations or alterations are due to weather or other external influences.
Tip- For Rod-n-Reelers, use Solunar Tables (etc.) also for best times with my calendar.
Tip- Near Full Moon, Gator Gars & YellowCats seem to feed a few hours later.
Tip- Your biggest YellowCats may hit best towards beginning & end of YC or PYC days.
Tip- My PYC Days keys in on the YellowCats Feed/Roam Days Underlying Pattern.
Tip- Bleedover works both ways- Before & After a calendar day. Take advantage.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you're not a member of TFF (it is free), here's my E-dress:
<hlynnh@peoplepc.com>

Well, until next time, Be Safe, Be Cool, and Be Courteous (if at all possible)!
Don't forget, Life Jacket must be worn, to assist you!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12781019 06/05/18 04:12 PM
S
spazm09 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Lynn, I've been well aware of your calendar for years now but have only glimpsed at it here and there. Normally my schedule chooses what day I can fish. Was reading through some of this years posts and have a question.

How absolute are your ZIP days? Meaning, is it completely pointless to fish for catfish at all on these days and I should target something else? Or is it more of just a "hit or miss" kind of day? Sorry if you've answered this question in the past, there is just too much content between all of your past years of calendar threads.

I plan on fishing this coming up Saturday the 9th and you're showing a zip day. Hopefully I'm not going to be wasting my time!

[Linked Image]
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12781032 06/05/18 04:24 PM
S
spazm09 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Oh and also, I'm curious about the transition from one day to another. For example, the 9th is a zip day but the 10th is a BC day. When does that transition occur? Would 2am on the 10th still be part of the 9th's zip day? Would 10pm on the 9th already be into the 10th's BC day?

I prefer to fish at night this time of year to avoid the heat and the boat traffic.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12781055 06/05/18 04:42 PM
M
Millertimeatthelake Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Catfish Lynn, I still follow you like the moon ol buddy...It works and i'm a believer!

Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12782072 06/06/18 05:08 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Everybody might want to catch this "brief".

OK "spazm09", I'll try to break it down fast & simple for everybody. The Catfish Calendar of mine uses 4 "sigs" that I was confortable with. It keeps it short & simple. YC = YellowCat, BC = BlueCat, BFT = Buffet (variety pack, you just never know), and ZIP = Not Good or Nothing. These "sigs" are the strongest pull for that given day. However, I also explain that in my best estimate, the fish (speaking of Yellow & Blue catfish, plus Gator Gars here) probably have at least 3 variations, as to programmed schedules of "roam-feed". My Calendar focuses on the main schedule, which I am estimating to be about 66% to 75%. That means you still have a 25% to 33% that run "rogue" (meaning dance to a different beat) that do not follow the majority. I use an example of human work shifts to illustrate what I think are the 3 groups. Your standard day shift is the majority. The night shift would be the largest of the two others. And then graveyard shift would be a smaller group. That is not speaking of times, as to them biting. It is just an illustration of what seems to be running behind the curtain. The Catfish Calendar helps you concentrate on the major group (as to the "roam-feed" circuit switch which seems to be in operation) for the greatest volume (of your catches).

Everybody listening now? If you are going to be fishing on a ZIP day, I suggest a wide variety of bait. Natural & others. However, since the Catfish Calendar is based upon a natural "roam-feed" cycle, it would seem they would be seeking natural baits. It is possible that stink baits (high powered ones) could trigger them to bite, even on a ZIP day. I have not researched into this, but have a hunch about it.

You noted you are going Saturday 9th, a ZIP day & Sunday 10th is a BC (BlueCat) day. If you are going more towards the evening, into the night, and early morning, then that is excellent timing. As I cannot pinpoint a specific time or times that the roam-feed switch is turned on, it is best to have a good stretch of fishing. I explain that there is Bleedover, in other words, it is more of an overlapping, not like shutting a gate as to exact time.

Here is a good example as to your question- Dave's "Meat Haul" post. Dave has been using the calendar for quite some time (6+ years). Since using the calendar, Dave seems to have a new perspective on catfishing. If you lose one, no big deal, you can always catch it again. He moved to Oklahoma, but was already getting nicknames in his neighborhood when he was here in Texas. In his Meat Haul post, he set out 20 juglines with only 2 hooks each. He baited out the late afternoon of November 10th, 2016 (was a ZIP day). He let them sit over the night & ran them once (pulled them as he ran them) on the morning of the 11th, which was a BC (BlueCat) day. He was using fresh chicken breast soaked in Dead Red. Of those possible 40 hooks, he caught 32. This is the way it went down. Lost 4 pulling them in, tossed the big one (pictured in the link below) & 6 smaller ones back in the lake. 32 minus 11 leaves 21 Blues that they kept (pictured also in the link below). And it was done by baiting out on a ZIP day & reaping the benefits the next morning which was a BC day.

<http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11941303/>

And I hear ya, about the heat & traffic on the lakes.

I almost forgot, even though I have now been able to incorporate my PYC days (Lynn's Personal YellowCat Days) into the printed Calendar, I make note that it is separate from

Here below is the 2017 printed calendar's January share, which might be helpful. Since I had been delayed in 2017, I had 3 months of Catfish Calendar Info to share & assist. "Millertimeatthelake" was featured in May 2017 with a nice Op
January 2017 shared on Bleedover
February 2017 shared some on KEYs & Percentages
March 2017 shared on Roam-Feed Circuit & Baits

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Bleedover

Some of you have heard me speak of, or write about, what I call "Bleedover". Simply put, even though the Catfish Calendar puts forth one of the 4 (the strongest) of my "sigs" (designations) for that particular day, it is not cut & dried, as to being a locked in 24 hour slot. An example of that would be- TP&W designates their day to run from Midnight to Midnight. The Catfish Calendar recognizes that as one "sig" fades, another begins, looking forwards or backwards.

So in essence, "Bleedover" is simpy a form of overlap, meaning there is not a gate locking out one pasture from the next. As you look over the Catfish Calendar, and plan your trips, you can use the Bleedover to your advantage. One example is Dave, of whom has been using juglines. Dave has understood the concept & the usefulness of mapping his strategy, along with the understanding & utilization of Bleedover. Dave mostly targets BlueCats, so naturally your prime pick would be BC days for catching the most. Second choice would be YC days, which also produce a good number of Blues. Third choice would be BFT aka "Buffet" days. Usually for me, I catch a variety of fish & the ChannelCats seem to be plentiful. And then your 4th & last choice obviously would be ZIP days. Of course, there is also another twist, my PYC days, but that is more or less targeting Yellows, not Blues.

Your life schedule & availability plays out as to when you might get to go fishing. You map out your strategy as to what you are targeting. In this example, it will be Blues. Recently, Dave planned a fast trip. Meaning, it was not to be a large amount of days, but would consist of two days total & only baiting them once. He set out jugs & baited them, and let them sit overnight to hopefully produce, as for BlueCats. He came back (Headed out) the next day to pull off fish & pull his jugs. Then head for home to clean fish. He targeted a BC day because of what he was fishing for, but due to the days falling the way they did & his allotted time to fish, there was a ZIP day ahead of the BC day. By understanding Bleedover, he used it to his advantage.

Bleedover in general, may overlap as much as 12 hours before a day & 12 hours after a day. So even though a ZIP day, he figured he could use Bleedover to assist his strategy. For Bleedover running before, my best advice is- later in the afternoon <Good>, in the evening just before dusk or dark <Better>, and after dark up to about Midnight <Best>. For Bleedover running after an assigned day, it would be- Midnight to daylight <Best>, early to mid morning <Better>, and last would be to mid day <Good>. You can see Dave's trip info & pics in December, as to his production results.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I still have not managed to have time to complete the setup for the printed calendar for 2018. But if I don't make it, I have a surprise for 2019. I have plenty of folks already lined up with their stories & pics. Last year, the last week in April that I started printing the 2017 Calendars, I had two cars that played On/Off with me into September.

"Millertimeatthelake", Hey Guy, Looks like you are doing all the good!!! I missed the Cinco de Mayo recent run-in with "The Giant". I am hoping I get a rematch in the Fall, if the lake does not go low. If I use the new 12 footer, I will have to be careful, as it has taken me & the 14 footer for a ride.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12782390 06/06/18 02:47 PM
S
spazm09 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Thanks Lynn. That's about what I was expecting for answers, I just wanted to hear it from you for my own peace of mind. LOL.

Hopefully, I'll have some fish to post about come Sunday.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12783176 06/07/18 12:58 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Glad that helped! Sadly, I was about out of Vitamin Zzzzzzz. Right after I barely managed to post it, I must have dozed off. We'll look forward to your results!

I forgot (or ran out of time) to explain one other angle or two. It was due to my days off that I discovered the YellowCat pattern. And it was due to that pattern that I discovered the Calendar. And then a slight BlueCat pattern, as well as Gator Gars seeming to run in kline with Yellows. And it was in Phase 2 (lakes) that I defined that while the Calendar & the YellowCat pattern seem to run in line most of the time, at other times, they don't. But by comparing, and with my experiences, I came up with the PYC days to rectify or assist.

The YC pattern I first ran into, seemed associated with my days off--- 7 on, 2 off, 7 on, 2 off, 7 on, 3 off, and repeat. There was a slight variable, as it seems to adjust here & there. My days off, was when the bite turned ON with the Yellows. While the 2017 printed Calendar had my PYC days on it, those are my picks according to the pattern & my experiences, when compared to the cycles of the Calendar.

"Big Zee" recently noted:
>>>>>
I have not heard the 7 off and 2 on in a long time. My grandpa always told me "find that pattern and your on the yellow cats all year." He was right. Good advice there thanks again.
<<<<<

I have only had printed calendars available for purchase in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2017. It is by my experiences & feedback from others using the Calendar & also the PYC days that allows me to enhance the findings even more. I can only get a printed edition done if I don't have too many chores or such. I was really hoping to get a 2018 copy together before the New Year rang in. It did not happen as hoped & still has not. I may still make a brief late edition. But I have some special plans for 2019. I am betting if I note a "companion" to go with the Calendar, "gar1970" will know exactly what I am speaking of.

Another longtime user of the Calendar is "gar1970" (just mentioned) & family, mostly for Gator Gars, but Yellows & Blues as well. So if anybody wants to catch big Gator Gars, follow that family's advice, plus on Yellow & Blues.

I also have Bass fishermen who like to catch big Yellows on R-n-R. One noted the only reason they come to the Catfish section of TFF, is to retrieve the monthly calendar, as well as any YellowCat advice. Another noted they finally quit wasting time & effort, now they only go after Yellows according to the Calendar & PYC days.

Even though I have no spare time, I tend to take on even more. My boss & owner of the cabinet shop is a Crappie fisherman. We are trying to see if we can find a pattern on the Crappie. Everybody at the shop knows I use my Calendar as to Yellows, Blues & Gator Gars. I created some cheat sheets to fill out data of catches. And then I plan to "get the books out" & see if I can find a pattern. He should turn in the last of 2017 & all of 2018 in & I will see if I can come up with something. If anybody else wants to get in on that research, that fish for Crappie, you can email me at <hlynnh@peoplepc.com> or drop me a PM thru TFF. And I'll send you the cheat sheet to fill out after each trip.

In June's Calendar posting, I asked if anybody fished the weekend of the 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Or perhaps this upcoming 22nd, 23rd & 24th weekend. These are 3 day BFT runs. I did not include CC (ChannelCats) into my research, but it seems other than getting a platter or variety of fish, the Channels seem to come in greater volumes. We will be going to Lake Bryan (it is mainly a ChannelCat lake). I would love to hear reports from this past weekend, as well as the one later that I will be participating in.

For those interested, even though I have not been there in ages, My Facebook page <hlynn.herrmann.9> has one pic of me & a 57# Op caught out of Running Branch Marina on Lake Limestone out in the No Wake Zone near Laguna Jacks (camp resort).

Once you get familiar with the Catfish Calendar, then you will learn how to make it work for you to the utmost. There are pros & cons to set lines, as well as R-n-R, but the Catfish Calendar works for both.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12785425 06/08/18 11:22 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Bummer!

I forgot to share a preview of the July 4th 2018 Holiday set up.

Here goes... June 2018 ends as follows:
22nd Fri- BFT
23rd Sat- BFT
24th Sun- YC [also a PYC day]
25th Mon- BC [also a PYC day]
26th Tues- BC
27th Wed- BFT
28th Thurs- BFT
29th Fri- BFT
30th Sat- YC

Then we head into July 2018 ...
1st Sun- YC
2nd Mon- YC
3rd Tues- YC [also a PYC day]
4th Wed- YC [also a PYC day]
5th Thurs- ZIP
6th Fri- ZIP
7th Sat- BC
8th Sun- BC
then followed by 2 ZIP days (9th/10th)

As you can see, the weekend before should be taken advantage of, if at all possible, whether you are fishing for Yellows, Gator Gars, or Blues. Especially if using set lines.

In case you did not catch it in one of my comments on one of the threads today, I do not have to actually go fish, to catch fish. Sometimes they come to me. I am about to go out & fillet some Crappie that the boss & grandkids dropped off while headed back from the lake before lunch. Just waiting for the shade to assist me.

Be Safe!!!
Stay Cool!!!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12788107 06/11/18 06:56 PM
S
spazm09 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
The calendar was spot on for this past Saturday. It was a zip day and I caught a grand total of 0 catfish. lol.

I'm 99% sure I was dealing with gar. Used live bluegill on a santee cooper rig with 5/0 circle hooks. About 10 times my rod got slammed and bent over 90 degrees but then whatever had it was gone. Later on after dark I put on a light up bobber and let the bluegill swim around freely. Four times something grabbed the bait and started running but as soon as it felt any pressure from me reeling in, it let go. The last 2 times, since I assumed I was dealing with gar, I opened the bail of the reel and just let it run for a good 60 seconds. Then I closed the bail, didn't pull at all and just let him continue to run until the line was tight. As soon as the light was tight, it immediately let go. Many of these failed hook ups, I still had my bluegill and there were obvious bite marks; sometimes big chunks of skin hanging off. What do yall think? Sounds like gar, right?

[Linked Image]
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12788850 06/12/18 08:23 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Probably gars. What time span did you fish? From Saturday PM until ??? As for me, I got up Sunday 6:30 AM. Finished fixing up one of my cane poles (will be using about 10 for Lake Bryan 22nd-24th) & one new telescoping Lews R-n-R (I put 65# Spider moss green braid on it. Due to other factors, I got delayed from leaving until 8:30 AM or so. Drove across the street, one lot down to neighbor's bait store. gate close, said he was out back & give him a buzz. I forgot to grab TracFone. Oh well! So I backed out & headed to TX 21 & turned east. The second Navasota River bridge is only 1.5 miles from the house. But I have not been fishing there since the second (downstream) bridge (eastbound) was built. I had to cross the 3rd bridge, then eventually tuirn around & head westward back to 2nd bridge (westbound), pulled off & parked on concrete embankment. Grabed gear & chair, walked the drive path under it. Whew! It had grown up for sure, as to weeds & lots of Poison Oak. Walked the trail to eastbound bridge. Looks like much better, clear sand/dirt. Got to near bank, trying to get a fix on old locations. Just off to my left (downstream), largest on a trotline there was a 16# Blue.

I only brought Sour gummy worms. Set both out. Had one of my loop stakes with me, to keep cane or R-n-R from getting away. Still in the shade, a small breeze, nothing much happened for awhile. Finally lines drifted downstream with corks (cane out about 8', R-n-R about 15"+ out; hook about 2' down from corks). I finally check R-n-R. Bait gone, was stripped. There was one turtle spotted across the hall (other side), but I do not think it was the culprit. 1st gummy had been a blue & red. I put on another green & ???. I checked pole about twice. Checked & cast out again R-n-R two or 3 times. Bait finally flew off, so I put another red & blue one on. I thought something might be nudging it, so I reeled in. Got hung just before bank. I yanked it & brought in a 2 leader wire setup somebody lost. Cast out again. Later checked & got hung in same spot. With a 5/0 Kahle & 65# test braid, I finally had to give in & slice off line. Sun was coming in, the mud sparrows flying all around. You could see little ones heads sticking out near their entry hole. I decided it was about time to end it. So I tied off line on R&R.

I was about to pull pole, when it shot out of loop stake, but my security cord held, as I had a loop I poked on to keep from losing pole. As I pulled loop off & raised up, before it broke the surface, it was gone. So I never got to see it. I saw one small gar about 10 foot upstream earlier. Anyway, red end was gone, blue still on hook, as to gummy worm. The small fish were starting to play. And I headed back to car with gear. Time spent, about 10 AM or just after, as to this excursion. On the way out, my son-in-law had said he tried to get up & go, but just could not get out of bed. He usually watches the calendar & comes back with around 4 to 6 or so from this area. Some between 5# & 10#. If I would have had other bait to try, and might have stuck it out further. I thought about taking the soap baits I had from Gary, but I knew I would be slinging most off by casting it out.

So you can see, I am not a true R-n-Rer, as to patience.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC] 2018 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12789150 06/12/18 03:00 PM
S
spazm09 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Me and my GF went out with 2 friends Saturday afternoon around 5. This trip was more of a swimming/picnic trip with some fishing thrown in. Took the pop up canopy for shade and my little mini weber to grill some brats. I put one pole out around 6 just for Ss & Gs but there were boats pulling skiers close by so wasn't expecting much. Saved my live bluegill for later. Right around sunset I got all 3 poles out each with live bluegill and we fished until around 11:30pm. Most of the big hits were between 9-10pm.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide