Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: BrandonF] #12544464 12/20/17 03:23 AM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted By: BrandonF
Hello Nathan, nice to meet you.
I have me a 1yr old little girl so I find myself watching exhilarating shows about colors, shapes, & numbers quite regularly.

That's cool. The years will go by fast so definitely enjoy that... as much as possible.

I assume you like to fish; I'm a kayaker and know some others who are not tools. So if you ever want to go fishing hit me up! Catching fish is never guaranteed but we always have a good time.

Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: Gixxer1k] #12544465 12/20/17 03:23 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: Gixxer1k
Originally Posted By: Icepick
Im having hell figuring out this ag exemption on the new place.
How many acres? Livestock? Growing coastal? Farming?

4. Mini donks.

Neither one of those 2 things qualify for ag where I live. Are you sure mini donkeys are allowed for ag?

Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: grout-scout] #12544578 12/20/17 06:01 AM
G
Gixxer1k Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: Icepick
Im having hell figuring out this ag exemption on the new place.
How many acres? Livestock? Growing coastal? Farming?

4. Mini donks.

Neither one of those 2 things qualify for ag where I live. Are you sure mini donkeys are allowed for ag?

Yes. Existing exemption. Was 9 acres but last seller split it and the folks we bought it from had it as is now. Just trying to figure out the paperwork.

Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: Brent S] #12544582 12/20/17 06:23 AM
Bee'z Offline
honey boo boo
honey boo boo
I hate the IRS. Just saying.

[Linked Image]
Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: Gixxer1k] #12545744 12/21/17 02:37 AM
G
glenls Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
G
[/quote]

Neither one of those 2 things qualify for ag where I live. Are you sure mini donkeys are allowed for ag? [/quote]

Yes. Existing exemption. Was 9 acres but last seller split it and the folks we bought it from had it as is now. Just trying to figure out the paperwork. [/quote]

You getting ag on 4 1/2 acres? What a country. Like to see how you fill out the "USDA Census of Agriculture" form they will send you.

Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: Derek 🐝] #12545980 12/21/17 11:39 AM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝
Originally Posted By: BrandonF
By the way...
Hello, I am Brandon. I rarely post but have enjoyed reading the OT for a few years.
Nice to meet y'all!

Suh dude

Derek runs the welcome wagon. Welcome.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12546692 12/21/17 09:27 PM
BrandonF Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I do enjoy fishing! I've spent the last few years tournament fish. I'm greatful to have done well in basschamps & TTZ along with some local weeknighters. Last year, I sold my boat and stepped away from fishing for the most part in order to watch the kiddo while I changed my career. (I ran a limestone mill for the last 20 years, since I was 15)
I have just recently received my Professional Inspectors state license and will be opening my Home Inspection business in the north Austin area, in the next month or so.

Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: Brent S] #12546697 12/21/17 09:40 PM
Derek 🐝 Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees
What's your PB?

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: Brent S] #12546732 12/21/17 10:15 PM
BrandonF Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Haha Didn't put scales to her. She was larger than the couple of 10's and the 12 that I have weighed before but who knows.
That is my biggest bass though.

Last edited by BrandonF; 12/21/17 10:22 PM.
Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: Brent S] #12547036 12/22/17 02:20 AM
JBellZX250 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Brent S
This is more or less a PSA for those who are buying a new home. The first year I lived in my house, I had a homestead tax exemption that was filed by the previous owner. This year in May, I received my 2017 property value notice, and the homestead exemption was removed. I then filled out the paperwork and had it added back to my property. I was told that my homestead exemption was processed and applied to my 2017 taxes. Yesterday, I noticed that my escrow had been cleared out and sent off to pay for my 2017 property taxes. The taxes increased 34% from the previous year, as did my property value. The homestead exemption states that your property value cannot rise by more than 10% in a single year. I was confused, because the homestead exemption never lapsed on my house. While reading the property tax basics, I came across this line: The appraisal limitation only applies to a residence homestead. It takes effect Jan. 1 of the tax year following the year in which the homeowner qualifies for the homestead exemption.

Appears to me that I missed out big time. Hopefully this saves others the headache.

I am late to this post but wanted to shed a little insight for everyone.

You must be in your home on Jan 1 to apply for a homestead exemption even when a PO has a homestead in place.

The 10% increase limit only applies starting the year AFTER you file for the homestead following your purchase. Unfortunately for everyone in the DFW metroplex the counties have MLS access and typically(not always) raise the value to about 3-5k below what you paid for the home. This may be a small increase for some and a large increase for others as Brent experienced. Due to the county having MLS access pulling comps and arguing the increase becomes a mute point when they pull up the price someone paid shortly ago and read out the property description. Sometimes they WILL offer you a small reduction when protesting right after purchase but typically a minimal savings over the year.

If you forgot to file your homestead you can backdate the homestead date by 1 year!

When purchasing be sure to look at the current county assessed value and factor in the increase for what you pay for the home to be prepared of what taxes and your payment will most likely be the year following your purchase. Disclaimer again **this is not always the case but a very typical situation I have run across** Tarrant and Dallas County are the worst from my experience. ALSO DO NOT PAY THE $35 FILE YOUR HOMESTEAD SCAM that comes a few weeks after buying your home. This is a free service and paying for that is a scam!

Hope this helps others. More than happy to help answer any other questions too.

Jeff Bell/Realtor JeffBellKW@gmail.com
Keller Williams Realty (817)713-0508
Re: Property Tax & Exemptions [Re: JBellZX250] #12547059 12/22/17 02:34 AM
Brent S Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: JBellZX250
Originally Posted By: Brent S
This is more or less a PSA for those who are buying a new home. The first year I lived in my house, I had a homestead tax exemption that was filed by the previous owner. This year in May, I received my 2017 property value notice, and the homestead exemption was removed. I then filled out the paperwork and had it added back to my property. I was told that my homestead exemption was processed and applied to my 2017 taxes. Yesterday, I noticed that my escrow had been cleared out and sent off to pay for my 2017 property taxes. The taxes increased 34% from the previous year, as did my property value. The homestead exemption states that your property value cannot rise by more than 10% in a single year. I was confused, because the homestead exemption never lapsed on my house. While reading the property tax basics, I came across this line: The appraisal limitation only applies to a residence homestead. It takes effect Jan. 1 of the tax year following the year in which the homeowner qualifies for the homestead exemption.

Appears to me that I missed out big time. Hopefully this saves others the headache.

I am late to this post but wanted to shed a little insight for everyone.

You must be in your home on Jan 1 to apply for a homestead exemption even when a PO has a homestead in place.

The 10% increase limit only applies starting the year AFTER you file for the homestead following your purchase. Unfortunately for everyone in the DFW metroplex the counties have MLS access and typically(not always) raise the value to about 3-5k below what you paid for the home. This may be a small increase for some and a large increase for others as Brent experienced. Due to the county having MLS access pulling comps and arguing the increase becomes a mute point when they pull up the price someone paid shortly ago and read out the property description. Sometimes they WILL offer you a small reduction when protesting right after purchase but typically a minimal savings over the year.

If you forgot to file your homestead you can backdate the homestead date by 1 year!

When purchasing be sure to look at the current county assessed value and factor in the increase for what you pay for the home to be prepared of what taxes and your payment will most likely be the year following your purchase. Disclaimer again **this is not always the case but a very typical situation I have run across** Tarrant and Dallas County are the worst from my experience. ALSO DO NOT PAY THE $35 FILE YOUR HOMESTEAD SCAM that comes a few weeks after buying your home. This is a free service and paying for that is a scam!

Hope this helps others. More than happy to help answer any other questions too.

Thanks for the info!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide