Print Thread
Oily Jigs, Question for the Makers? #12445561 09/28/17 06:30 PM
B
BrazosRiverTom Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
I have pretty much bought crappie jigs from everyone on here and other places too. Now the ones I keep in storage and some I take with me, the bags I keep them in (some of which are the bags they came in) (also which I am glad I do, keeps the boxes from getting messed up) are filling up with some kind of oil. Especially the Thermocline's and a couple of other brands. I took the ones that were very oily out and dried them with paper towel and then soaked up what was in the bag with paper towels. Kinda messy. Now does this mean the jigs are deteriorating? How would I cleanup the bags and continue to store the jigs? Should I just toss them in the trash? (they still look good to me but I am no expert). Appreciate any advise.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Oily Jigs, Question for the Makers? [Re: BrazosRiverTom] #12445776 09/28/17 10:34 PM
C
Captain Yakker Offline
Angler
Angler
C
You should leave them in the oil until ready to rig them. Those oils are usually scent enhancers such as garlic or shad.

Fishin' to stock Lake Crisco.
Re: Oily Jigs, Question for the Makers? [Re: BrazosRiverTom] #12446104 09/29/17 02:24 AM
B
BrazosRiverTom Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
The oil is leaking out of the bags, I have little 2 x 3 inch bags where I seal them. The oil has no flavor, just makes like a greasy mess and it is clear to a slightly yellow color as one bag had a half teaspoon in it. When I put them in the bags and also when the bags arrived that they were originally sealed in there was no oily mess at those times. These jigs have set in their original bags plus my bags for at least a year or more. The original bags were sealed inside another plastic jig holder (kinda like a note book) and they are leaking too. I am sure I am not the only one that has seen this. I am thinking about washing the oily jigs in dawn dish soap and drying them, then resealing in new bags. I have seen bass jigs that reacted to tackle boxes and melted to them. But this is not the same, they just start dripping oil. The jigs still feel solid and good. The bags have not been exposed to the sun.

You could be right about scent oils as I am not an expert. But I do have a good nose for smelling and I detect no odors. I was thinking maybe after some time the oil just starts leaking out of the jigs. Hope to hear further comments, Thanks in advance.

Re: Oily Jigs, Question for the Makers? [Re: BrazosRiverTom] #12446937 09/29/17 06:11 PM
B
Buglemintoday Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B

Re: Oily Jigs, Question for the Makers? [Re: BrazosRiverTom] #12447235 09/29/17 11:33 PM
P
pepop Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: BrazosRiverTom
The oil is leaking out of the bags, I have little 2 x 3 inch bags where I seal them. The oil has no flavor, just makes like a greasy mess and it is clear to a slightly yellow color as one bag had a half teaspoon in it. When I put them in the bags and also when the bags arrived that they were originally sealed in there was no oily mess at those times. These jigs have set in their original bags plus my bags for at least a year or more. The original bags were sealed inside another plastic jig holder (kinda like a note book) and they are leaking too. I am sure I am not the only one that has seen this. I am thinking about washing the oily jigs in dawn dish soap and drying them, then resealing in new bags. I have seen bass jigs that reacted to tackle boxes and melted to them. But this is not the same, they just start dripping oil. The jigs still feel solid and good. The bags have not been exposed to the sun.

You could be right about scent oils as I am not an expert. But I do have a good nose for smelling and I detect no odors. I was thinking maybe after some time the oil just starts leaking out of the jigs. Hope to hear further comments, Thanks in advance.

Take the "came in" bags and place 2 or 3 in a Zip Loc Freezer bag and the oil will keep the baits the way they were intended and keep the excess oil off everything else. Like Captain Yakker said, that oil (even if unscented) keeps plastics pliable.

Re: Oily Jigs, Question for the Makers? [Re: BrazosRiverTom] #12462554 10/12/17 02:31 AM
K
Kens3313 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I think what he is seeing is the plastisol breaking down. I make my own plastics and have had certain brand of plastisol do this same exact thing. I have better quality plastic now and havnt had this problem. If the bags were not oily at first from the worm oil and it got more oily over time it has to be the plastisol. I don't think it will hurt anything really, I would rather have oily baits than them dry out. But I do know it can get messy lol

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide