Page 1 of 2 1 2
How old of a kayak would you buy? #12392843 08/20/17 12:00 AM
R
RCK Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
R
I'm looking for my first kayak and I searched through the Facebook and Craigslist listings for a great deal on a used Pescador Pro or Wilderness Systems Ride/Tarpon. I think I found one, but I believe this kayak is a 2009 model based on Google Image searches.

How far back would you go when purchasing a used kayak?

Thanks in advance!

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12392898 08/20/17 12:36 AM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
It all just depends on how it's been taken care of.
Looked at the bottom and make sure it's not soft at points where it's been drug. Look I'm the scupper holes to make sore there aren't any crackes. There isn't anything wrong with a kayak that is that age. As long as it's been taken care of your in good shape.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12392972 08/20/17 01:12 AM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Stored properly and no cracks, leaks, etc., it should be fine. Look at the owner's surroundings to get a clue as to how the kayak was treated.

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12393098 08/20/17 02:30 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I'd choose, say, a 3 year old kayak that is cleaned routinely, and stored out of the sun/elements in a garage or shed . . . over a 1 year old kayak that is dirty and left outside to fend for itself.

But, more recent year models often have changes that you will want. Most kayaks go through some model changes. A Hobie Outback would be a great example of one where a more recent model is much different from those from just a few years ago. You'll need to factor that in, for sure.

Buying a used kayak is a great way to go . . . many are way under-utilized, stacked over in garage corners with the American quintessential pile of "I thought I really wanted/needed that" stuff.

Hold your ground and wait for a great deal!

Brad

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12393102 08/20/17 02:32 AM
R
RCK Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
R
Thanks, all! I'm trying to hold out for a great deal!

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12393115 08/20/17 02:43 AM
D
DblNoob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
If you are able to see the serial number it will tell you the age of the kayak. For Wilderness Systems kayaks the last four characters indicate the date of the kayak:

- the 4th from the last character indicates the month that the kayak was made A = Jan, B = Feb C = March.....
- the 3rd from the last character indicates the year that the kayak was made.
- the last 2 characters indicate the model year of the kayak.

Ditto on what has been said about, in my search for a kayak I have seen boats that were only a few years old that had been in such bad shape (badly scratched and/or soft plastic from being stored outdoors unprotected....) that I would not had taken them if they had been given to me... seriously. I ended up buying an 8 year old kayak that the original owner kept inside and have never regretted the purchase. So like it has been said about treatment is everything, when i comes to kayaks, so I would not rule the boat out just because of its age. Good luck in your search.

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12393136 08/20/17 02:57 AM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Take a look at the hull. If badly scratched; I'd pass. Some people use their kayaks twice a week; others twice a year; so age isn't the primary factor

Most leaks are undetectable without the additional pressure/force of sitting in/on the kayak and paddling for a while

If possible; ask to demo it for a half day

[Linked Image]
Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12393443 08/20/17 02:18 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
My kayak is now over 14 years old, I bought it new. It has been abused in every manner possible. I've left it on my vehicle rack in the hot summer Florida sun for weeks at a time, I've dragged it over pavement, up and down rocky embankments and boat ramps, oyster bars, stump fields, and even had it come off rack at 60 mph and pound the pavement. I've had it oil can from being tied down too tight in the summer heat, many times. Its got some thin spots in the hull but with a little JB Waterweld, doesn't leak a drop. Its been loaded and unloaded more than 2000 times. I've stored it flat on the hull for months at a time. After many years of high use I have intentionally tried to destroy it so I could get a new one. I used to hit the ramps coming out of the water as fast as I could get it going so that I didn't get wet getting out. I would not hesitate to buy any age, major manufacturer's kayak unless the plastic was too brittle. If you can't kick a hole in it, its good to go in my book if the price is right. I've only seen one kayak in my life that I feared might have been out in the sun too long. Stop worrying and buy something to get you out on the water.

Last edited by lconn4; 08/20/17 02:22 PM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: lconn4] #12394536 08/21/17 02:31 PM
T
txninja Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: lconn4
My kayak is now over 14 years old, I bought it new. It has been abused in every manner possible. I've left it on my vehicle rack in the hot summer Florida sun for weeks at a time, I've dragged it over pavement, up and down rocky embankments and boat ramps, oyster bars, stump fields, and even had it come off rack at 60 mph and pound the pavement. I've had it oil can from being tied down too tight in the summer heat, many times. Its got some thin spots in the hull but with a little JB Waterweld, doesn't leak a drop. Its been loaded and unloaded more than 2000 times. I've stored it flat on the hull for months at a time. After many years of high use I have intentionally tried to destroy it so I could get a new one. I used to hit the ramps coming out of the water as fast as I could get it going so that I didn't get wet getting out. I would not hesitate to buy any age, major manufacturer's kayak unless the plastic was too brittle. If you can't kick a hole in it, its good to go in my book if the price is right. I've only seen one kayak in my life that I feared might have been out in the sun too long. Stop worrying and buy something to get you out on the water.

word

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12394588 08/21/17 03:03 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Roto-molded Polyethylene is pretty tough. My 1980's vintage Prism is still going strong and leak free as a camp kayak. My 2011 WS Commander is too after 100's of hours in the bay and marsh. I've replaced the handles and there are some other mostly cosmetic issues but no leaks after many oyster reef encounters.

Thermo-formed kayaks have a seam that is prone to leaking plus the plastic is much thinner than a roto-molded model. I'd be suspect of any used thermo-formed model. The Wilderness Systems ones you mentioned are roto-molded. I don't know anything about the Pescador. Keep in mind, unless things have changed, you can get a new, never used with a warranty kayak often for what the used ones are listed for on many of the classified pages. Demo days, the various hosts will often sell kayaks at big discounts. I got My Tarpon 140 on a demo day for like 25% off list. Same thing on my Commander. I was a previous year's model and went for close to 30% under list. My neighbor got his new WS Ride for over 30% under list.

I've bought a couple of used kayaks, but it has to be a smoking hot deal from someone I trust.

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12395000 08/21/17 07:15 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Thermo-formed kayaks have that glued-together aspect to them, the two pieces comprising the hull. Mine leaked, as many of you know, and that is how I ended up with a Jackson Big Rig as its replacement.

As regards the polyethylene kayaks, the good ones are pretty tough, for sure! But, many of you know what PEX is, that it continues to replace copper for plumbing lines and more. Most manufacturers have a time limit of . . . I think 60 days of sun exposure. PEX is much tougher than standard polyethylene, has a much tighter chemical bond.

Some of the funniest moments have come from "laboratory" tests of various building products exposed to sun where they often claim great longevity to validate their viability in harsh environments, then they install the item . . . in Texas . . . exposed to Texas summers! Oops!

I'll never forget the total failure of a roofing shingle made from fiber and cement. It works well as siding, not so much with a Texas hail stone the size of an orange hitting it. I think everyone of thousands of those roofs were removed and replaced.

So, anyway, "plastic" sort of dries out for lack of a better description, oxidizes, gets a bit rougher, cracks a bit easier as it ages.

I still don't see why one couldn't last at least a solid decade if it is cared for.

Brad

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12395273 08/21/17 10:21 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I have to tell you guys this one story. Years ago I'm headed to Black Point Park in far south Miami/Dade to bonefish. I've never launched there before but had heard the place I normally launch from, deep in the mangroves off a secluded road was hit really hard by folks busting windows and stealing stuff out of vehicles. I didn't want to risk it and decided to launch from the park instead, even if it did mean I wouldn't be on the water before first light.

I'm at the park entrance before the gates open and there are already several vehicles with kayaks ahead of me. When the park rangers let us in its a mad dash for parking spots. That's when I notice that these aren't kayak fishermen but touring kayakers. That puts my mind at ease and I'm no longer in a rush.

There must have been 30 or more kayakers in the parking lot within minutes of the park opening. They are putting out folding kayak stands that allows them to keep their kayaks off the pavement while unloading. They are using nice portable steps that allows them to climb up and get their sleek brightly colored fiberglass kayaks off with ease. I'm in my car that's seriously rusted from salt water dripping off J racks that have been rusting for a couple of years. My kayak still has slime as I rarely washed it since I was fishing almost every day before work.

I wish I had pictures of the faces of those that were parked near me. You would have thought I farted in the elevator. Anyway, no words were spoken and as soon as had my rope straps untied I lifted my kayak out of the J racks and then from shoulder height I tossed it onto the pavement making the loudest racket I could just to show them that I could. I love plastic kayaks.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12395308 08/21/17 10:54 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Speaking of kayaks and wear, I have a scratch or two on my Propel 10 right below the water line, saw a video somewhere where a guy takes a heat gun and slowly and carefully "melts" the plastic just a bit and it flows back into the cut and closes.

I gave it a go yesterday and, I'll be a son of a gun! It worked.

No, not for a deep gouge, just cosmetic stuff.

Pretty neat!

Brad

Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: Brad R] #12395413 08/22/17 12:20 AM
D
DblNoob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Brad R, what kind of kayak did you have and how did you damage it? I am looking at a Wilderness Systems Ultralite and cannot find any information about what it is made of or anything about the long range reliability of them. I know that WS is a good brand, but I have seen some not so glowing reviews about their ultralites.

Last edited by DblNoob; 08/22/17 12:21 AM.
Re: How old of a kayak would you buy? [Re: RCK] #12395435 08/22/17 12:34 AM
B
Bug-e Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
The only problem with older yaks are that most are not nearly as comfortable as the modern lazy chair fishing yaks. That's the only thing that would keep me from purchasing an older yak in good shape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide