Page 1 of 2 1 2
buying used from a private owner #11094294 09/10/15 03:48 PM
B
Buschwacker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Im looking into buying a used cc boat from a private seller, if im wanting to finance something say around 15k how does that work?? Most individuals are cash only and first come first serve I would think. Doesnt the lender usually appraise the boat before purchase??

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow,lets go fishin!!!
Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: Buschwacker] #11102975 09/14/15 05:25 PM
RecLending.com Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: Buschwacker
Im looking into buying a used cc boat from a private seller, if im wanting to finance something say around 15k how does that work?? Most individuals are cash only and first come first serve I would think. Doesnt the lender usually appraise the boat before purchase??

It works very nice. The actual time people buy things with dollar bills is rare. Over $10,000 there are IRS forms and all that. Checks and even certified checks are often held for several business days before the seller gets access to it. When we do financing, we wire funds all the time. If there is a lien the money goes to the lien holder (lender) first to pay off the existing lien. Anything over the payoff amount can go to the seller. We can even wire on the spot once the boat is inspected and the final OK is given.
NEVER hand a check or dollars to a seller before you know the lien situation. Sometimes when sellers are all fixed on getting cash, there is a reason. Look at the ownership papers, either titles or MSO's. Even in non-title states there are ways to cover yourself. With used boats loan amounts are based on NADA values if that is what you mean by "appraise".
Let us know how we can help.
Thank you,
Ken

RecLending
Office (517) 543-6921
Email: Info@Reclending.com
Todd's Cell: 517-294-0459
Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: Buschwacker] #11258561 12/02/15 09:51 PM
Rockie Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Ken call me! Left you a message at your office.....

www.RockieMartin.com -I can help with your Mortgage needs for Purchasing a home or Refinancing.
Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: Rockie Martin] #11260022 12/03/15 05:25 PM
RecLending.com Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: Rockie Martin
Ken call me! Left you a message at your office.....

Sorry but I don't see a note on my desk. Our office phone is (517)543-6921 or my cell is (517) 930-2721. I take a text on the cell number as well.
Ken

RecLending
Office (517) 543-6921
Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: Buschwacker] #11530111 04/08/16 09:47 PM
B
Bob Landry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
My first boat was a cash deal from a private individual. I asked him to accompany me through the transfer process and I'm glad I did. The dealer that sold him the boat did not title the trailer to him and when we went to do the transfer, there was an amount on the trailer that I would have had to pat had he not been with me to take care of it. I think most sellers are honest, but why take a chance.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: Buschwacker] #11728052 07/18/16 02:35 AM
LukeAnderson Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I'm trying to buy a boat Tuesday. How fast could Rec lending run credit and wire funds. The boat is 36,500 and its in Alabama.

Keep calm and Fish on
Endeavor to Persevere
Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: LukeAnderson] #11746830 07/28/16 06:21 PM
RecLending.com Offline
Angler
Angler
Some of the time frame will depend on if it's from a private seller or a dealer. Some dealers we work with or have worked with can deliver things very quickly. If it's a private seller, most want to be paid before the boat goes down the street. Generally it is about a 4 - 5 business day process OF THINGS MOVING. For example, if it takes 3 days to get VIN pictures from the seller, now it's 7 - 8 days. Some things for time frame are beyond our control. If there is a payoff involved, we have waited 3 days before trying to get a lien payoff from the sellers lender.

Most deals run smooth and quick, but some do take some time based on other factors.
Ken

RecLending
Office (517) 543-6921
Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: RecLending.com] #11979404 12/12/16 12:22 PM
T
toofy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted By: reclending.com

It works very nice. The actual time people buy things with dollar bills is rare. Over $10,000 there are IRS forms and all that. Checks and even certified checks are often held for several business days before the seller gets access to it. When we do financing, we wire funds all the time. If there is a lien the money goes to the lien holder (lender) first to pay off the existing lien. Anything over the payoff amount can go to the seller. We can even wire on the spot once the boat is inspected and the final OK is given.
NEVER hand a check or dollars to a seller before you know the lien situation. Sometimes when sellers are all fixed on getting cash, there is a reason. Look at the ownership papers, either titles or MSO's. Even in non-title states there are ways to cover yourself. With used boats loan amounts are based on NADA values if that is what you mean by "appraise".
Thank you,
Ken

How do you know if there is a lien on the boat? Is there a way to look this up? Or is it just the name on the title?

Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: toofy] #11983727 12/14/16 03:34 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
When you look at his title, it will have a "lien released" signature line with a signature and date.

Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: toofy] #11985456 12/15/16 02:53 PM
RecLending.com Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: toofy
Originally Posted By: reclending.com

Thank you,
Ken

How do you know if there is a lien on the boat? Is there a way to look this up? Or is it just the name on the title?

One of the steps in the loan process is us contacting the seller. We ask for title or MSO copies. Even in non-title states the old owner should have some sort of ownership document. If there is a lien, we have the seller get a payoff from the lender. Something on a letterhead showing payoff, some sort of ID that a boat is getting paid off and wire instructions. If there is a lien we NEVER send full funds to the seller. We wire the payoff and the balance between payoff and selling price can go to the seller. Some states allow title searches but not many. Texas in fact is one that has a process for that.
We have also found that SOMETIMES when sellers jump up and down about "I only take cash" there is something else going on. A wire gives the seller instant access to the funds and provides a nice trail. Even if no lien, we still wire funds.
Thank you,
Ken

RecLending
Office (517) 543-6921
Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: RecLending.com] #12209409 04/21/17 02:15 AM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I bought from an individual, financed through Reclending and it could not have been smoother. Give them a shot. cheers

Bobby Barnett

Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: Buschwacker] #12366763 08/01/17 12:27 AM
H
Horns Up Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Help me out here as I'm a first time boat purchaser.

From reading other posts on this forum, I'm understanding that a separate Title is issued for each of the Hull, Motor and Trailer. Is this correct?

Any other tips I should be aware of as I will purchase from a private owner that has an existing Lien on the boat?

Aside from getting the Lien cleared, what other due diligence and steps should I look for before deciding to purchase a used boat or not?

Thanks for the help.

Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: Horns Up] #12388350 08/16/17 05:24 PM
RecLending.com Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: Horns Up
Help me out here as I'm a first time boat purchaser.

From reading other posts on this forum, I'm understanding that a separate Title is issued for each of the Hull, Motor and Trailer. Is this correct?

Any other tips I should be aware of as I will purchase from a private owner that has an existing Lien on the boat?

Aside from getting the Lien cleared, what other due diligence and steps should I look for before deciding to purchase a used boat or not?

Thanks for the help.

Sorry but just seeing this. What titles are issued is based on the state you live in. If you are in TX, boat and motor and titled. The trailer is only titled if GVWR is over 4500#. We have seen this go either way in some states but most bass stuff is under that.
NEVER GIVE $$ TO A PERSON WITH A LIEN. MAKE THE PAYOFF AT THE BANK AND GET THE RELEASE. We always get the payoff from the lender on a letterhead with wire instructions. If your seller is in TX, we can even check online using the boat and engine VIN to check for liens.
Once your money is gone, it's gone. Always be sure of the details.
Let us know if we can help.
Thank you,
Ken

RecLending
Office (517) 543-6921
Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: Buschwacker] #12738364 05/01/18 07:07 PM
FireFarmer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Im kind of like a guy up the post a little way, Im looking at buying from a private seller who isnt too fond of working with a financial institution but I am. How does this play out?

I would think as long as they get the amount of money that we agree on, it shouldnt matter who it comes from...I like the guys boat but I dont know if its more headache then its worth.

It’s better to be seen than viewed

May GOD Bless you in everything you do!

Tight lines!
Re: buying used from a private owner [Re: Buschwacker] #12738645 05/01/18 10:18 PM
R
RangerRong Offline
Angler
Angler
R
good info Ken, i know who to call when ready to buy a boat

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide