Print Thread
what kind of boat? #12195765 04/12/17 04:52 PM
E
ETXAxelBack Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
E
So iv been looking at getting a project boat for inshore fishing. Now im pretty good with fiberglass, iv built a few canoes and a sneak boat, so i can change the inside layout of whatever boat i decided to get. But i cant decide between like a skiff type boat or a kinda v hull like a redfin or the older mako. I have found a few boats that have peeked my interest. One being a 1995 19ft redfin, a 1994 carolina skiff j16, and an aluminum center console. With either option i plan on a new evinrude.
I really like to fish the flats but also like to fish the salt lakes like keith lake and sabine lake. With that said im leaning twords the red fin because the price and to me the hull looks pretty versatile BUT I know nothing about red fin other then they went out of buisness and iv heard they ride wet "wetfin".
Really im looking for opinions on what you guys think, and if anyone has any experience with these types of boats and doing the fishing I talk about.
Thannks.

Littering and... littering and... littering and smokin' the reefer.
Re: what kind of boat? [Re: ETXAxelBack] #12195883 04/12/17 05:50 PM
R
Ryan B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Ill be 100 percent honest with you. The Carolina skiff is a good boat when restored and fixed up. I have only rode in one but I really liked how it rode. I have a 19ft Express aluminum center console with a 90 hp Yamaha. Its a good boat but when the wind picks up just a bit it gets really rough. We bought a early model shoalwater 18 cat with a 90hp Nissan and we put bedliner on the front deck and rear deck. Its a good boat to and runs super shallow. It really handles the chop pretty well to. If I had to pick from your options id go with the Carolina skiff but that's just my opinion. Go with your gut feeling and fix it up and it will make you happy.

20 year old angler. Work hard Fish Harder!!!
Re: what kind of boat? [Re: ETXAxelBack] #12195905 04/12/17 06:04 PM
K
klockness Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
My dad had a 1998 redfin 188T. The wetfin name is very true although they made some deep V hulls. I remember the boat was so rough we could never keep a trolling motor on the front. We tried every way known to mount it and it always shook loose. I grew up in Corpus so it was always rough but I can still remember the sound and bracing for every wave in that boat. It was seriously painful in rough water. Aside from the ride I believe they started as a pretty solid boat but sometime around 2000 they went down hill quick then went out of business. I remember my dad talking to the dealer about the quality issues on the newer redfins about 2 years after we got ours. We never had any issues I think we took it out last around 2008 then sold it. It would probably run across a little less than 1ft of water, maybe better if you get a jack plate. We had a johnson 115 and I think we could get in the low to mid 40s but that was never measured. The redfin was pretty stable and we mostly drift fished. Drifting we could fish 3 comfortably 4 was getting a little cozy. The best thing about the boat was the live well in the console, the worst thing(beside the ride) was having carpet. Like most tunnels it wouldn't back up worth a flip.

I would imagine the draft and ride on those boats (there are tons of different aluminum boats so I'm not sure there) will be about the same. You'll be more stable and have more space in the redfin because it's wider and longer. You'll also need more HP and gas to push it.

Re: what kind of boat? [Re: klockness] #12195922 04/12/17 06:14 PM
E
ETXAxelBack Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: klockness
My dad had a 1998 redfin 188T. The wetfin name is very true although they made some deep V hulls. I remember the boat was so rough we could never keep a trolling motor on the front. We tried every way known to mount it and it always shook loose. I grew up in Corpus so it was always rough but I can still remember the sound and bracing for every wave in that boat. It was seriously painful in rough water. Aside from the ride I believe they started as a pretty solid boat but sometime around 2000 they went down hill quick then went out of business. I remember my dad talking to the dealer about the quality issues on the newer redfins about 2 years after we got ours. We never had any issues I think we took it out last around 2008 then sold it. It would probably run across a little less than 1ft of water, maybe better if you get a jack plate. We had a johnson 115 and I think we could get in the low to mid 40s but that was never measured. The redfin was pretty stable and we mostly drift fished. Drifting we could fish 3 comfortably 4 was getting a little cozy. The best thing about the boat was the live well in the console, the worst thing(beside the ride) was having carpet. Like most tunnels it wouldn't back up worth a flip.

I would imagine the draft and ride on those boats (there are tons of different aluminum boats so I'm not sure there) will be about the same. You'll be more stable and have more space in the redfin because it's wider and longer. You'll also need more HP and gas to push it.
See thats what keeps me from pulling the trigger. On one hand the redfin would be a better suit with my wife and little girl in it because how big it is. But you have more gas and more motor witch means more money and time. I really do like the j16 carolina skiff because with a 30hp it will roll. but theres less room when i have the girls out with me.. how dos the carolina skiff do in chop? iv never ridden in one or fish out of one.

Littering and... littering and... littering and smokin' the reefer.
Re: what kind of boat? [Re: ETXAxelBack] #12196002 04/12/17 06:52 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
No flat bottoms..........they will beat you to death. V-Hull in a bay

Last edited by V-Bottom; 04/12/17 06:54 PM.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: what kind of boat? [Re: ETXAxelBack] #12196045 04/12/17 07:34 PM
P
Pat Goff Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Totally depends on what bay you'll be fishing. Matagorda north you can get by with a v hull for rough water. Port o Connor south that same hull will really limit you on where you can go.

No perfect hull for everywhere so get the best for where you'll be using it the most.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: what kind of boat? [Re: ETXAxelBack] #12198230 04/13/17 10:04 PM
K
klockness Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
With just one kid and your wife I think you can make do in a J16. I had a Tracker 160 for a little while with a toddler and my wife. If one adult went to one side you better be prepared because the boat would lean. I fished 4 adults and 2 kids in it once and had me and another big man friend and we managed in the little rig but it was crowded.

I think the J16 is more stable and a wider than my old Tracker with taller sides. I'd max out the horse power if you can. Take it for a ride if possible with your family to see how it feels and how stable it is. At a minimum get the family to climb in while it's on the trailer. Walk around and imagine having rods, gear, wind, and waves. Try to pass by each other from the front to back and so on. It's flat bottom so it will still be pretty rough. Like Pat said you have to make a choice what you want more, shallow draft or smooth ride, more space or more economical.

You may look for an old kenner if you decide you need a smoother ride and larger boat.

Re: what kind of boat? [Re: ETXAxelBack] #12204627 04/18/17 01:51 PM
G
G Love Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Haynie

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide