Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Fishing Regulations versus Good Character #12115675 02/28/17 04:17 AM
B
bluesea112 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
I used to think that if the state backed off a little bit on fishing regulations that the fisherman would have the common sense to self regulate and not over fish the waters of the state. After reading some posts in this forum I realized that good character and common sense is in short supply. I read post after post of guys keeping a 25 fish limit of spawning white bass. Many of them had a partner, so the boat total was 50 fish that could have spawned and given us a more plentiful resource in the future. I have to wonder if guys who do that are just stupid or greedy. It reminds me of the photos I have seen of guys back in the 40's who would kill hundreds of ducks in a day and hang them in rows around their barn for a photo. Our duck population is still recovering from the lack of good sense from those idiots decades ago.

Keeping 25 spawning fish does not make you a man or make you look cool. Catching and keeping a limit of spawning fish does not mean you are a good fisherman or that you have some unique talent. Anybody can catch 25 spawning fish, so your boasting makes you look immature and inexperienced. I now realize that we have regulations because of a few bad apples who lack common sense and the good character of a true sportsman.

Last edited by bluesea112; 02/28/17 04:20 AM.
Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12115704 02/28/17 04:37 AM
C
catdub Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I disagree most people don't keep that many fish to prove they are a man they do it because they want a good fish fry besides why not keep them since fishing is so expensive I mean if you buy a license part of what you pay goes to restocking the lakes anyway so I don't think keeping 25 fish will keep future generations from catching fish besides to me if you invest all that money on fishing it is your right to keep fish as long as you're doing it legally

Wesley
Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: catdub] #12115732 02/28/17 05:21 AM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Several States don't even have size or number limits on them and they still flourish. I suppose you think all guides are stoopid and need help looking manly? This has gone on for years and years, the only difference is now you hear about it due to Facebook and forums where it is discussed.

Here is my kid with his limit of 25 from a couple of weeks ago. These were not spawning fish either, they came from deep non moving water. He probably feels more like an adult than a 13 year old kid now.

Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12115744 02/28/17 05:43 AM
ShinerInTx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Ducks were poorly managed at the time. They do fish census on a regular basis. If populations were taking a hit, they would restrict the harvest amount. I agree with the principle of taking only what you can use. I also imagine that a lot of the people you're referring to were with a guide, and many of them may not get on the water very much at all otherwise. So, let them have a fish fry.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12115757 02/28/17 06:50 AM
I
iluvfishin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
I caught a limit of some fat female sandbass the other day. I feel very manly now violin

Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12115799 02/28/17 10:02 AM
scruboak Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
you might want to look at survey reports before posting stuff like this.

Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12115847 02/28/17 12:30 PM
S
skeeter22 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
The state determines the limits and considers consumption in the equation. Calling people stupid for keeping a limit does not help your opinion.

Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12115857 02/28/17 12:40 PM
W
willweg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
The State biologists use science to determine the bag limits of any given species, I consider my self a man of good character and I always strive to harvest as many legal fish/game as I can when I have time to fish/hunt. Why? Because I or my family and friends enjoy eating game and eat every last piece of meat. Now , the men of bad character, those are the ones that knowingly keep undersized fish, exceed bag limits, poach Whitetail etc.

Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12115893 02/28/17 01:20 PM
O
one.more.day.of.life Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
The primary reason for rules and regulations is people will cheat. I bet $100 this guy is a demon-crat who wants to impose his warped values on other people. I keep seeing political correctness creeping into fishing. The guys who fish black bass tournaments don't want you to keep the bass you catch. Why? It's all about the money. I bet this guy never caught a limit in his life and is jealous of the people who know how to fish and respect the laws of our great state - TEXAS.

Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12116018 02/28/17 02:24 PM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I personally don't like to catch spawning fish. I have a few times. I like to catch em before when they are fatter. You said yourself anyone can catch a limit of spawning fish. I believe our ruling authorities handle our resources fairly well in most cases. Not to say the number of people over the entire state who fish mainly in the spring don't harvest a large amount of the resources. But as time passes during the year the fishermen are fewer which gives the fish time to recoup and grow. If the number of fish weren't harvested then any one species could over populate a water body. With the program TPWD has in place, they keep up with how many fish are in most bodies of water and how many have been harvested and either restock or set lower limits for a while. To say a person has bad character because they follow the laws in place about limits is an inane idea in my opinion. Not everyone who catches a limit has a chance to do so very often. Some may go every day for 3 weeks or so then not fish again until next year. Bad character should be labeled on those who don't follow the laws, show disrespect to others who are, and have no idea what honor is. No one should feel bad about harvesting a legal limit of any resource unless that resource is thrown away or wasted in some way. I have had folks on my boat who wanted to keep fish then decide later they didn't after the fish had died. I call that bad character. I clean them for myself or call around till I find someone who wants them.
About all you accomplished here is making folks decide not to post pictures or let anyone know where,how,or when they caught some fish. It didn't stop them from catching and keeping a limit of fish.
I'm sure you will find a few here who agree with your statements. Most don't.

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12116041 02/28/17 02:33 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I'm all for common sense conservation. However, criticizing people who keep a legally caught limit of fish is just flat wrong. We all know this mindset comes from the largemouth bass world. In their eyes keeping any bass to eat is a horrible unthinkable thing. That mindset has worked its way across the freshwater fishing world. Whitebass have a VERY short life, they grow very fast, and a good spawn can produce an amazing amount of fry. Trying to manage whitebass like largemouth bass is stupid. Their biology is very different. Texas Parks and Wildlife certainly isn't perfect, but their fishery management guys are really good. I think they have a pretty good feel for managing the white bass population.

Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12116099 02/28/17 02:57 PM
C
Captain Yakker Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Indeed, it would be hard to over fish the white bass population if you are keeping within the limits. I once read a statement by a TPW person that well under 50% of the white bass population in our lakes is harvested every year. They are prolific spawners as was stated above.

I use 100 percent of the fish in some way or another. I fished with a guide on this forum awhile back and took home the carcasses as free fertilizer for my vegetable garden. If I can't use them in some way, they get returned to the lake so that they become food for other aquatic life.

Fishin' to stock Lake Crisco.
Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12116176 02/28/17 03:33 PM
M
ML56 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
To the OP, if you are following the fishing regulations, you are exhibiting good character! In todays world so many things are backasswards, including many social issues. How about a rant against those who would violate the laws and limits set by the state? I'm sure you watched Bambi over and over, remember what Thumper's mom said?

Last edited by ML56; 02/28/17 03:40 PM.

See Me for a SPLASHER PROP Mike @ 979 two ,five, one, 62, thirty five or web page https://my-site-103001.square.site
Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12116182 02/28/17 03:37 PM
F
FishinAg02 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
bluesea112,

Thank you for you opinion and input. Debating topics like this is an important part of conservation... however, calling people "stupid" for following the rules put in place by our state biologist is not productive in any way. If you have an opinion, live that out by posting your stories and pictures of the fish you release. Others might follow suit...

But your opinion as applied to white bass is simply wrong, and is not supported by any facts. It does [censored] me off to see people keeping illegal numbers of fish (i've witnessed this and typically report it when i see it), but fishing and keeping fish within the state limits is completely acceptable and part of good management. Don't keep any white bass and your population of largemouth begins to deteriorate because of the vivacious feeding nature of the white bass.

There are plenty to go around and it's the state biologists jobs to manage that by setting those limits and our job as fisherman to enjoy the resources within those limits.

When I fish for white bass, I typically keep all I can... and we enjoy each one. At home with family, with friends, having fish fries and eating fish tacos. It's an expensive hobby and I enjoy the fruits of the hobby.

Please do a little white bass research before blasting others next time... it could be more productive or you might learn a little in the process.

David Norwood
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '02
Cell - 346-347-0177
Re: Fishing Regulations versus Good Character [Re: bluesea112] #12116197 02/28/17 03:43 PM
K
kdub#1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: bluesea112
I used to think that if the state backed off a little bit on fishing regulations that the fisherman would have the common sense to self regulate and not over fish the waters of the state. After reading some posts in this forum I realized that good character and common sense is in short supply. I read post after post of guys keeping a 25 fish limit of spawning white bass. Many of them had a partner, so the boat total was 50 fish that could have spawned and given us a more plentiful resource in the future. I have to wonder if guys who do that are just stupid or greedy. It reminds me of the photos I have seen of guys back in the 40's who would kill hundreds of ducks in a day and hang them in rows around their barn for a photo. Our duck population is still recovering from the lack of good sense from those idiots decades ago.

Keeping 25 spawning fish does not make you a man or make you look cool. Catching and keeping a limit of spawning fish does not mean you are a good fisherman or that you have some unique talent. Anybody can catch 25 spawning fish, so your boasting makes you look immature and inexperienced. I now realize that we have regulations because of a few bad apples who lack common sense and the good character of a true sportsman.

cheer cheer roflmao loco coffee bang bang

I'm gonna keep a couple limits this weekend and stock up the freezer. They are white bass man, there is no shortage of the suckers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide