Forums59
Topics1,038,808
Posts13,953,124
Members144,178
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules #12034056 01/11/17 08:10 PM
Aubry Buzek Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) is seeking public comment on proposed changes to the regulations on the possession and sale of gizzard and threadfin shad collected from public waters, which would require persons who collect or possess shad in excess of certain limits to obtain a permit.

TPWD currently issues permits for the sale of nongame fishes taken from public waters, which includes gizzard and threadfin shad sold as live, frozen, or prepared bait. Some permittees also collect live shad from public reservoirs for sale or as part of management services provided to private pond owners to increase the abundance of prey fishes in a pond and improve the growth and size of fish such as largemouth bass.

Shad are also collected by private landowners to stock as prey in their private lakes. These persons are currently not required to obtain a permit because no sale is involved, but the proposed changes would require persons who use containers exceeding 82 quarts in volume for collection and possession of shad from public fresh waters to obtain a $60 permit to possess or sell nongame fish.

A permit would continue to be required if the shad collected are sold or exchanged for anything of value regardless of the container size used, but no permit would be required if the shad are used only as bait on the water body where they were collected, or if a licensed fishing guide possesses and furnishes the shad as bait to customers as part of the guides services.

Collection of shad, especially threadfin shad, has resulted in substantial quantities being harvested from some reservoirs in the state, according to Ken Kurzawski, TPWD Inland Fisheries Director of Information and Regulations. Although the impacts on fishes in the reservoirs where these activities occur appear to be minimal at this time, requiring a permit for activities that can result in substantial harvest will allow the department to more fully monitor these activities to ensure their sustainability.

The department is also proposing additional minor changes to the permits such as providing for up to eight persons to be named on a permit as assistants and incorporating procedures into the permit requirements for reducing the spread of invasive aquatic species such as zebra mussels.

Proposed rules are available for review in the Dec. 23, 2016 issue of the Texas Register.

Public comment may be made online; by phone or email to Ken Kurzawski at (512) 389-4591, ken.kurzawski@tpwd.texas.gov; or in person during the TPWD Commission meeting on Jan. 26 at 9 a.m. at 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744.

Aubry Buzek, TPWD Press Office
https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Aubry Buzek] #12034743 01/12/17 01:46 AM
M
MBDLAW Offline
Angler
Angler
M
how many shad are "collected" by the thousands of cormorants which are protected for no reason whatsoever...

MBD
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Aubry Buzek] #12037636 01/13/17 05:33 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
What about the Tilapia netters?

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: MBDLAW] #12040282 01/15/17 06:06 AM
Slefler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: MBDLAW
how many shad are "collected" by the thousands of cormorants which are protected for no reason whatsoever...

+1 all because they're a "migratory species"

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Aubry Buzek] #12043614 01/16/17 09:00 PM
Fishingking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Money is all you need to say it's about.

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Aubry Buzek] #12043938 01/17/17 12:41 AM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Neither species should be collected from public fisheries for sale to stock private waters. Period.

The spread of potentially extremely harmful pathogens (such as LMBHV, KHV, CCVD, ESC, and many others) is just one of many dangers involved in such activity.

Of concern is also the spread of undesirable exotic species found in these waters (ie. zebra mussels, hydrilla, hyacinth, salvinia, tilapia, etc.)

Of less, but still real, concern is the potential over-utilization of a public resource by private entities

These concerns are not an issue for these species if properly farm raised in a controlled environment.

Fishbreeder

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Aubry Buzek] #12044958 01/17/17 04:49 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Won't be long before we will need a license to breath. Yep without it you can no longer use air that belongs to the state. People will be running a hose pipe across the Red River and stealing Oklahoma air.

Last edited by Muzzlebrake; 01/17/17 04:50 PM.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Fishbreeder] #12046497 01/18/17 12:07 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
Neither species should be collected from public fisheries for sale to stock private waters. Period.

The spread of potentially extremely harmful pathogens (such as LMBHV, KHV, CCVD, ESC, and many others) is just one of many dangers involved in such activity.

Of concern is also the spread of undesirable exotic species found in these waters (ie. zebra mussels, hydrilla, hyacinth, salvinia, tilapia, etc.)

Of less, but still real, concern is the potential over-utilization of a public resource by private entities

These concerns are not an issue for these species if properly farm raised in a controlled environment.

I generally agree with Fishbreeder that harvesting anything out of our lakes, excepting dinner table fare, well it opens up all sorts of odd biological possibilities. Kudzu, Johnson Grass, fire ants and other intruders come to mind.

No, this will NOT affect many, if any of us. If anyone is out there collecting shad for personal fishing purposes, as long as the amount is less than 82 quarts, no permits are required. 82 quarts? That is a common available size for larger coolers; so, I suppose that is the 'why' behind that particular number.

And, the use of a volume measurement is owing to the fact that putting a head count on individual shad swimming around is not practical, uncountable really so TPWD will go by container volume instead.

TPWD goes on to say that these new rules (there are several) will only affect 10 or so small businesses statewide.

I'm all in. I'd go a bit farther. Net a bunch of shad from a lake with tilapia and accidentally pick up a few, drop them in a private pond, a flood occurs, they end up in a south Texas lake? One year later, you'd have 10,000 tilapia.

Brad

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Fishbreeder] #12047293 01/18/17 06:24 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder

IMO shad should not be taken from one lake and used for bait in another for the exact reasons you list.

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Aubry Buzek] #12049107 01/19/17 06:49 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It's about the money, and just another form of (fee) taxation.
If it would go toward stocking the lakes fine, but most likely it's to help pay for all those office workers and bonuses.
They have a hard time enforcing the laws already, and adding another makes no sense unless you look at the reason I stated above.

Last edited by Jimbo; 01/19/17 06:51 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Jimbo] #12049141 01/19/17 07:08 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
It's about the money, and just another form of (fee) taxation.
If it would go toward stocking the lakes fine, but most likely it's to help pay for all those office workers and bonuses.
They have a hard time enforcing the laws already, and adding another makes no sense unless you look at the reason I stated above.

Jimbo, no, I don't think this one has to do with revenue collection. If they are correct and it only affects 10 or so small operations, I believe the fee is about $60, so 10 X 60 = $600.

I think this one has more to do with simple management of our resources, possibly issues related to the spread of disease, and so forth.

Generally, though, with most government agencies, I totally agree with your sentiment . . . that they are just looking for opportunities to regulate and tax.

Brad

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Aubry Buzek] #12050890 01/20/17 05:30 PM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I agree, this (so far) doesn't seem like a money grab at all.

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Aubry Buzek] #12058985 01/25/17 03:41 PM
G
gray Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
How would you obtain this permit? Can I purchase this and other special lisence and permits at the same places I buy a hunting and fishing lisence? Or do I have to order by mail or online?

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Aubry Buzek] #12059078 01/25/17 04:33 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
This seems to be an issue that is not that big of a deal. It is hard for me to envision any sport fisherman using anywhere near 82 quarts of shad at a time. I don't think many cat fisherman would be placed under a hardship due to this limit.

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Shad Collection Rules [Re: Aubry Buzek] #12059180 01/25/17 05:31 PM
G
gray Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
Just to clarify, the new rule would regulate the use of containers exceeding 82 quarts, not 82 quarts of shad.

"would require persons who use containers exceeding 82 quarts in volume for collection and possession of shad from public fresh waters to obtain a $60 permit to possess or sell nongame fish."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide