Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Leg Cramps at night [Re: Tiltman] #11893223 10/21/16 11:46 PM
T
TexasBlonde Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
I suspect if you take pills for your blood pressure, especially if it has a diuretic, you will be more prone to get leg cramps.

My husband was getting leg cramps and I gave him magnesium tablets to take. His leg cramps went away. Plus, at least twice when he was hospitalized, they would not let him be discharged until the magnesium drip added in addition to the IV fluid was empty.

Re: Leg Cramps at night [Re: Tiltman] #11893253 10/22/16 12:15 AM
J
Jon Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
I get them bad sometimes - almost always related to a lot of unususal exertion with my legs, combined with usually not enough water / electrolytes days and weeks ahead of the heat and exertion. Heat is not always required, but some form of leg exertion and not enough hydration is usually the cause. The heat makes it worse for me.

The instant relief to make them go away quick is drink real dill pickle juice straight from a jar of pickles.
PJ sport drink is not the same. Then I eat a couple bananas, eat 2 or 4 hylands leg cramps (CVS has the same pills for dam near half the price) and soak in a tub of the hottest water I can stand till they go away. by that time the banannas and hylands have kicked in. and i can go back to sleep. Before i get in the tub, or while soaking, I'll Slam down 3 or 4 bottles of water with electrolytes or sports drink 50/50 with water. Be careful that can keep you from sleeping if you over do it on the electrolytes or maybe its the B vitamins lot of them have for energy.

Preventative is to keep hydrated all the time, add electrolytes with the water as needed and a small bottle of Pom wonderful - (thanks Derek!) Goes a long way for prevention. I haven't tried the stretching but that makes real good sense.

Interesting story about the pickle juice - too lazy to look it up but the story from memory is..
Some college professor did a test on a bunch of people with cramps and determined the speed of pickle juice going into your stomach then your blood and then absorbed into your muscles to relieve the cramps would take totally way too long for the almost instant relief it can bring. His theory is the pickle juice somehow triggers some unidentified release of brain chemicals that produces almost instant effect of relief on the cramps.
Make sense to me because that stuff works way to quick for it to work about any other way.

I used to carry those prepackaged huge dill pickles that had a good portion of juice in the pack, snip off a corner with my pocket knife and slurp one down when needed.

Re: Leg Cramps at night [Re: Tiltman] #11893261 10/22/16 12:20 AM
S
SS7 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Less soda and/or beer and more water and exercise

Re: Leg Cramps at night [Re: Tiltman] #11893265 10/22/16 12:22 AM
T
Trickster Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
T
I usually try a very cold beer.

Re: Leg Cramps at night [Re: Tiltman] #11893328 10/22/16 01:11 AM
B
bloo_rainger Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
My first thought is your getting them from medication. If you're on more than one medication make sure they are compatible with each other. I was on two meds that were causing me to have violent leg cramps as well as in my hands and arms. There is a website that compares your meds and shows side effects. Ask your pharmacist.

Re: Leg Cramps at night [Re: Jon] #11893349 10/22/16 01:29 AM
T
TexasBlonde Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted By: Jon
I get them bad sometimes - almost always related to a lot of unususal exertion with my legs, combined with usually not enough water / electrolytes days and weeks ahead of the heat and exertion. Heat is not always required, but some form of leg exertion and not enough hydration is usually the cause. The heat makes it worse for me.

The instant relief to make them go away quick is drink real dill pickle juice straight from a jar of pickles.
PJ sport drink is not the same. Then I eat a couple bananas, eat 2 or 4 hylands leg cramps (CVS has the same pills for dam near half the price) and soak in a tub of the hottest water I can stand till they go away. by that time the banannas and hylands have kicked in. and i can go back to sleep. Before i get in the tub, or while soaking, I'll Slam down 3 or 4 bottles of water with electrolytes or sports drink 50/50 with water. Be careful that can keep you from sleeping if you over do it on the electrolytes or maybe its the B vitamins lot of them have for energy.

Preventative is to keep hydrated all the time, add electrolytes with the water as needed and a small bottle of Pom wonderful - (thanks Derek!) Goes a long way for prevention. I haven't tried the stretching but that makes real good sense.

Interesting story about the pickle juice - too lazy to look it up but the story from memory is..
Some college professor did a test on a bunch of people with cramps and determined the speed of pickle juice going into your stomach then your blood and then absorbed into your muscles to relieve the cramps would take totally way too long for the almost instant relief it can bring. His theory is the pickle juice somehow triggers some unidentified release of brain chemicals that produces almost instant effect of relief on the cramps.
Make sense to me because that stuff works way to quick for it to work about any other way.

I used to carry those prepackaged huge dill pickles that had a good portion of juice in the pack, snip off a corner with my pocket knife and slurp one down when needed.

Jon, be careful that you do not overdo it with all the pickle juice, bananas, sport drinks (even if they are diluted) as you could go from potassium or magnesium deficiency to having ingested too much potassium which is just as deadly as too little potassium.

The vexing irony is too much or too little potassium cause the same symptoms. Muscle weakness and heart arrhythmias are symptoms of both too little and too much potassium.

Because of the diuretic my husband is on and the results muscle cramps, I gave him magnesium tablets to take. He does not have leg cramps anymore and has started walking again. He felt too bad to walk before I told him to take magnesium.

Re: Leg Cramps at night [Re: Tiltman] #11893410 10/22/16 02:15 AM
cob Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Get them frequently. One of our neighbors told me to drink tonic water when l have one. Works in a couple of minutes. That said, much better to stay hydrated.

Some people go to church and think about fishing. Some go fishing and think about God.
Re: Leg Cramps at night [Re: Tiltman] #11893530 10/22/16 03:12 AM
J
Jon Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
TB, thank you for that info!!
I never really thought about overdoing it with the potassium.
I don't know if pickle juice has potassium but of course the bananas have a lot and the sports drinks and electrolyte additive powders do too.
The pickle juice sure does work good and quick though for me.
Between your report about your husband and Dafanman testimony - he's been telling me about that for a while now, and the rest of the great reports on the magnesium, I'm going to give that a try.
Thanks!!
thumb

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide